About this listing
Perfect home base for LA tourists, close to Universal Studios & NoHo Arts District, 20min walk to metro / 5min bus ride, 2 stops to Hollywood. Private home away from home in a quiet traditionally decorated home with pool, jacuzzi & a sunny courtyard.
Our guest bedroom for rent has been likened to a hotel - come see for yourself!
The house is...
- Easy to get around LA
- Close to bus / metro
- Easy free parking
- Walking distance to Universal Studios (+ Universal Metro stop) & NoHo arts district and the Universal Hilton
- 1 metro stop from Hollywood walk of fame, the stars on the sidewalk, hollywood museums and hop on / hop off tour bus stops.
== Metro Stops: =====
1. North Hollywood = 1.3 miles (2.09 km) (20min walk; 5min on bus 224)
2. Universal City (Universal Studios) =
I think it's like a nice 4 star hotel, personally, and since the Holiday Inn down the street is $170/night, and Universal Hilton is about $210/night, it's substantially cheaper and definitely more fun.
We have a private light and bright guest room available with a "full" size bed and also a futon that folds out that can easily sleep a child or adult under 5'7" (~170cm). Your guest bathroom is 95% yours - we have our own bathroom in our master suite, though my son or any guests may use it from time to time.
We have nice air flow, maid cleaning service, and linens are of course washed for every guest. There's central air conditioning and heat, security systems, and all the comforts you'd want.
The room has flat screen TV, computer, DVD player and high speed internet with WiFi. We have a large private patio area with darts, we have laundry (washer and dryer) you're welcome to use.
There's always excellent coffee, and you're welcome to some fruit or cereal in the mornings. The communal courtyard has a jacuzzi (year-round) and pool [heated ~ May-Oct]. The courtyard is nice - it has tables and lounge chairs for a bit of sun, and it's a quiet oasis away from the city.
There are some great restaurants and pubs in NoHo arts neighborhood, full on party clubs 2-3 metro stops away, and it's walking distance to Universal Citywalk / Universal Studios. Around the block is Tiki No, a great tropical-themed bar, and Vegan Lotus, a healthy asian restaurant, and within a 15 minute walk are 30+ more restaurants including Federal Bar (great food & happy hour), Republic of Pie, and more.
Note there are two cats, but they're never allowed in the bedrooms (only in common areas + outside). Between the wood floors, robotic floor cleaners, and keeping things clean our past guests with cat allergies haven't had any problems. I have cat allergies myself and don't have any problems, and the couch is vacuumed 2x/day.
Welcome! It's a great home. We love this home and are hope you have a great stay.
Getting here from LAX Airport:
Best is take the "Flyaway" bus for $7 downtown to Union Station, then the red line metro right to our house (Universal stop, 15min walk). If you message me in advance, most times I can pick you up from the metro station (5 min drive, 15min walk). If you have a late flight, I can pick you up for $40 (depending on schedule)(note: it's about a 45 minute drive; I recommend this if you are arrive late i.e. midnight, but charge because it's about 2 hours door to door).
Hollywood (aka "Hollywood Proper") is about 10min away or 2 metro stops. West Hollywood is about 20 min by car driving right through laurel canyon to the Sunset Strip. Downtown is about 35 min by metro (best + easy)
The Beach / ocean / Santa Monica, Malibu, etc. is about 30 min by car or about 2 hours by bus. Best path: Red line metro to 7th Street hub downtown LA, get out and walk around a bit, then hop back on & take the Expo line to Culver city, then take a short bus ride to the beach.
Note we do not allow spur-of-the-moment guests without prior consent, i.e. someone you just (email hidden). If you meet a cute guy or gal for a travel romance, please do it at their house.
Private room with a lock, full size bed, futon that folds out, flat screen TV and DVD player, sound system with a jack for your phone, wi-fi with fast internet (30 Mbps down, 5 Mbps up), shared living room, courtyard with pool (heated ~ May-Oct) and Jacuzzi (heated year-round), our private patio (great for dinner or breakfast!), shared kitchen, refrigerator for restaurant leftovers or take-out food.
Interaction with Guests
Our goal is that you feel like it's a hotel. We usually chat a little bit with guests as they come and go, but otherwise we'll "politely ignore you" - just to give you space and privacy if you prefer.
NoHo Arts District has been named as the #1 "up and coming" area of Los Angeles. It is the dance hub of LA (i.e. all the music video dancers, dance studios for movies, etc.) are here, and there are a lot of actors and showbiz professionals here.
We're right in the middle between NoHo arts district (lots of restaurants, comedy clubs, etc. + the red line metro stop), and Universal Studios (another metro stop, Universal Citywalk, more theaters and restaurants) - so there's plenty to do. We love it here!
Getting around from here is easy!
By Bus: There are bus stops, 2 lines (Vineland and Lankershim) just steps from our front door ($1.75 on bus 224).
By Metro: The North Hollywood ("NoHo") stop is about a 15 minute walk, or very short bus ride, and the Universal Studios stop is also about a 15 minute walk (or 5 minute bus ride) toward the mountains. Metro is $1.75 in LA, or a day pass is $6 I think. We have cards for you that you can load value to.
By Car: Easy most days, and there's free parking on the street. Note there is street sweeping Thurs 10am - noon on one side, then on the other side Fridays 10am-noon, however, most guests with cars are out being tourists at that time so it's rarely an issue.
Other Things to Note
Our #1 question: How to get here from LAX airport:
Best if not renting a car is take the flyaway bus ($7) to Union Station, then take the red line metro to North Hollywood ($1.75 + $1 for the card so $2.50, but you can get a day pass for $6 unlimited rides then pop back to hollywood, etc.).
Once at the North Hollywood ("NoHo") stop, you can walk (18 min), or bus 224 (~7min, $1.75)
Taxis from LAX are about $70 with tip, Uber is about $50, shuttles are about $25 per person.
From Burbank Airport: Easy - taxi should be about $7, a 10 minute drive. If my schedule allows, I will pick you up (free) from Burbank airport.
Ok, we do have a few rules - just around keeping the place clean and a relaxing oasis of rest and personal time.
3 Important rules:
1. Door closed so it clicks - don't let the cats out. Pull it hard and you'll hear it.
2. Please eat in the kitchen or patio, we like it clean :-)
3. Shoes off if you don't mind.
the longer version...
1. Shoes off is our general policy especially in the bedrooms. We have a robotic mint floor cleaner we run frequently and keep things clean, that said, please take off your shoes when coming in. It keeps the house cleaner, and feels more like a sanctuary too! You're welcome to leave in the foyer or carry them to your room.
2. Please don't let the cats out. They're never allowed in the guest room, and the linens and towels have been freshly washed before your arrival so you won't have to worry about cat hair anywhere except on the cats themselves. We vacuum the couch daily. They're allowed on the patio, please just ensure they don't get out the front door.
3. We'd ask you eat in the kitchen, or on the patio just to ensure we don't end up with crumbs, etc. in the guest room. Please use coasters for drinking water in the bedroom.
4. It's quiet time after about 9pm weekdays and 11pm Sat/Sun. The TV or music that's not too loud is fine, just be respectful and we'll do our part to ensure you get rest too!
5. Feel free to use the kitchen, dining table, patio, living room. Please clean up after yourself... don't be shy - dishes can get rinsed off and put into the dishwasher, we won't mind a bit. Please don't eat anything in the bedroom, though water is fine - we just want to keep it clean.
6. Extra clean sheets or towels will be provided upon request. There are 4 pillows on the bed and more in the closet, all clean, so you should be quite comfortable.
7. No parties or guests/strangers are allowed in the house that were not booked and approved by us through Airbnb. Exceptions may be made on a case by case basis when first approved by us (the Host). The condo complex has some rules about groups around the pool but you'd be fine out there with a few people, just not a party. I think technically the complex says no alcohol around the pool, however, it doesn't seem too enforced as long as one is not visibly drunk or loud and if you want to mix a piña colada and take it to the pool, we won't mind a bit and you wouldn't be the first. That said, no big beer parties out there, that would get nixed. Just because we don't know your guests or even how well you know them, we'd ask for our security you don't bring guests into the home, though there are plenty of great places to meet just steps away.
That said, there are some great fun bars right down the street if you're meeting some people and want to stay up late and get your drink on! For card-carrying medical marijuana fans (state-legal in CA), there are even some legal dispensaries around the corner.
Helpful FYI-only info:
1. Street sweeping is Thurs and Friday, be sure to read the signs these days. Other days are fine on either side and there's plenty of street parking.
3. Getting around: We're walking distance to either the Universal metro stop (adjacent to Universal Studios) or North Hollywood (NoHo Arts District - lots of theaters and bars). Both are about 10-15 min walks. Buses can take you all over, about 20 min to Warner Bros by bus or bike.
Wall mount TV and sound system, and plenty of great books for some downtime - or go read by the pool.
This place is awesome! Very clean, beautiful, stylish house. Everything is exactly the same as at the photos. Roger is the best host ever! He is careful, cautious and very informative. There are always fresh coffee, fruits and nuts in the morning. I will definitely recommend this place to my friends!
Alles perfekt! Super Gastgeber, schöne, saubere Wohnung. Gute Lage. Wir haben unseren Aufenthalt sehr genossen!
Roger showed me around, provided fruit and coffee and was full of great eating spots in the area.
Roger and his wife were fantastic hosts. Very informative and knew the area well.
There was always good coffee in the pot every morning, and always fresh fruit, nuts and seeds which they kindly let us eat in the mornings.
The apartment was very clean and cozy, very comfortable bed and the large bathroom was great.
Our best airbnb stay to date :)
Roger was an excellent host and the place was fantastic! It was clean, quiet, and a super easy going environment. I would stay there again for sure. Additionally, Roger and his wife were really awesome, fun people to get to know. We appreciated their hospitality so much and would love to stay at their home again!
Notre séjour chez Roger et Lidia s'est très bien passé.
La chambre est fidèle à la description.
Nous avons apprécié la piscine et la situation à la fois proche d'Hollywood et des studios (Universal).
Roger, devant s'absenter durant toute la durée du séjour, nous as fait confiance pour garder l'appartement.
Izba bola presne taka, ako bolo inzerovane. Poloha bola super a Roger bol velmi mily a ochotny hostitel. Bazen v ramci bytoveho domu bol ceresnickou na torte. Naozaj sme si pobyt uzili.
This host has 2 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, Roger
I love travel, and meeting interesting travelers is like a cultural exchange.
We have excellent music, and are blessed to eat the best food money can buy - which for us is a plant-based diet.
There's music throughout the house, hundreds of books (which says something about oneself, right?), original artwork - we live in a nice home and are happy to share it.
I'm a dot-com guy always working on some project - web design, software development. My wife is a talented actress with a flexible day job and gone most weekdays.
I see a question here about "style of AirBnB hosting", and traveling. The last trip we took was a luxurious 10 day cruise in the carribbean, where we were married in Barbados on a beach under coconut trees. The next trip is eastern europe (wife is Serbian) to Serbia, Montenegro, and Croatia with a bit of time in Germany and Chicago while getting there.
As far as hosting, I like hosting but will also let you have peace and quiet. I'm here with a helping hand and travel advice if needed. We always have excellent fresh-ground coffee, great beer including double IPA (my personal favorite), and good pinot noir wines.
Motto: If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough [Mario Andretti]