About this listing
Self-catering apartment „Maison du Soleil“:
Particularly suitable for ecotourists and nature lovers, who prefer the serenity of this hillside retreat to the bustling beach resorts, yet wish to be within quick and ease reach of main attractions.
Well-appointed, light and airy studio apartment (300 sq ft) with kitchenette, Queen-size bed, bath, veranda and garden.
Particularly suitable for ecotourists and nature lovers, who prefer the serenity of this hillside retreat to the bustling beach resorts, yet wish to have all major tourist attractions within quick and easy reach.
Saint Lucian-German owned and managed.
Maison du Soleil is tucked high into the hillsides of La Borne, overlooking the northern tip of Saint Lucia. From your veranda, you look over Pigeon Island National Monument as well as Rodney Bay with its beaches and marina. On clear days, you can see as far as the neighbouring island of Martinique. You enjoy the tranquillity of the mountains; yet, within a 15-minute-drive, most major tourist attraction of northern Saint Lucia are at your fingertips – with the knowledge that you can withdraw to your retreat just as quickly at any time. The local bus stops directly in front of the property.
Attractions in immediate surroundings (within 15 min drive by car - please allow more time on public transport):
Multitude of water sports, including parasailing, Snuba, Sea-Trek and marine kayaking
Pigeon Island: Fort Rodney and other historic monuments, recreational park and beach.
Boat and land excursions:
• Sunset cruise, catamaran sailing
• Hiking, horseback riding & ATV tours
• Round-the-island tours, day trips
Caribbean culture: live music, Limbo dancing, Gros Islet street party, Salsa fiesta
Main venues of the world-famous Saint Lucia Jazz Festival, 30 April to 10 May, 2015
Restaurants with wide culinary offer
Nearby attractions (15 to 45 min drive):
Rainforest hikes in the Saint Lucia Forest Reserve, the home of the endemic Saint Lucian parrot, Amazonas versicolor
Ziplining und rainforest canopy tram; Segway Tours
Whale- & Dolphin-watching boat excursions, sport- & deep sea fishing
Nesting of marine turtles (seasonal)
Open-air museums Lushan Country Life & Fond Latisab Creole Park
Minizoo & nature trail
Arawak excavations, petroglyphs
Castries heritage walk
Galleries of local artists
Golf and tennis courts
Car-, motorbike and bicycle hire
George Charles Airport (SLU)
Ferry to Martinique, Dominica and Guadeloupe
Attractions in region (45 to 90 min drive):
Maria Island Nature Reserve with four endemic reptiles, including the world's rarest snake, the St. Lucia racer (Liophis ornatus)
• Pitons World Heritage Site, ascent to the summit, Tete Paul trail
• Sulphur springs, drive-in-volcano & geological museum
• Thermal springs & baths
Two Ramsar wetland sites with rare bird species
Choiseul Arts & Craft Centre, pottery
Hewanorra International Airport (UVF)
Renovated in 2012
Firm, high-quality mattress (Queen-size: 152cm x 203 cm)
Electricity: 220V, UK 3-pin outlets, with adapters for various European and American plugs
Gas stove with four burners and oven
Large (220 l) refrigerator/freezer
Tableware and seating for 4 persons
Outdoor BBQ grill
Wireless internet access (if you have your own computer)
Bird watching perch: the Antillean euphonia (Euphonia musica) and the endemic Saint Lucian pewee (Contopus oberi) may be seen
Access to small private library that specializes on natural resources and history of the Caribbean
Use of BBQ station
Utilities: water, gas, electricity, charcoal
Mini pantry: minor ingredients (salt, pepper, sugar, oil, vinegar, etc.) and items you need in small quantities and don't necessarily want to buy
Incipient book exchange - it's up to you to make it grow
Cleaner, change of sheets and towels once a week
Parking within compound walls
We speak English, Kwéyòl, German, Spanish and (some) French.
Additional services for our guests (additional fees apply; subject to availability):
Airport or ferry transfers
Air beds or mattress for up to two children
Breakfast items, food basket or home-made wholemeal bread
Laundry service (including additional changes of towels and/or sheets)
Other Things to Note
The studio is designed to accommodate 2 adults in a real bed. Upon request, we can provide additional bedding for up to two children.
* No smoking inside apartment
* No engaging in illegal activities anywhere on Maison du Soleil property
* Casual acquaints should not be brought to Maison du Soleil, as attention from strangers is sometimes motivated by opportunism and may lead to crime. If you have friends on Saint Lucia, whom you would like to invite over for a meal, drink or chat, please let us know in advance and we are happy to facilitate.
* Clothes and wet towels should be dried on the lines under the house only.
* Use only 220V appliances (except shaver); no transformers, please.
* Mailson du Soleil's tap water is entirely rain-fed and solar-heated. Enjoy it, but do not waste it. We do not recommend visitors drink our tap water. For this purpose, we provide carbon-filtered municipal (treated & potable) tap water free of charge. In the dry season, we may restrict laundry by hand. At a reasonable cost, we will wash your laundry in our water- & energy-saving washing machine.
* We separate non-biodegradable from organic waste for composting. Please collaborate by using the two bins provided accordingly. This not only helps our organic garden, but also prevents vermin and stray dogs being attracted by the garbage placed outside for collection and disposal.
* We provide you with a mosquito net, fan and electric zapper to make sure insects do not bother you. Please do not use insecticide, as it also kills the little frogs, lizards and birds that naturally control these bugs. Repellent is fine.
* Your security deposit will be returned in full unless there is breakage, loss and/or damage. If you fail to return the apartment key upon check-out, we will retain US$75 of the deposit to facilitate a change of locks.
Guests visit Maison du Soleil entirely at their own risk, i.e. management is not responsible for any injury or loss sustained. Children need to be supervised by a parent or guardian at all times.