About this listing
Designer Garden for Private use with Double-Seater Swing, Hot Tub & 300 years-old lime tree
Central London Boat Home Adventure!
*FEATURED IN THE TRAVEL CHANNEL'S EXTREME HOUSEBOATS T.V. SHOW! WATERWAYS WORLD MAGAZINE & SEVERAL BOAT DESIGNER MAGAZINES!*
TRULY UNIQUE, HAS IT ALL!
Ambience, Amenities, Accessibility to Attractions, Attention & Care…
CENTRAL LONDON DESIGNER 2-3 BEDROOM 2 BATHROOM NARROW-BOAT-HOME WITH PRIVATE USE OF ATTACHED DESIGNER GARDEN IN THE HEART OF CHARMING LITTLE VENICE! SEE PHOTOS!
Welcome to London and if you want to truly have a unique experience, welcome to Boathome LiLa!
Just 7 mins walk from Heathrow express platform @ Paddington makes Boathome LiLa a perfect pad to explore London from.
Whether it is James Bond-style hidden doorways or galleys worthy of Gordon Ramsay, this 'Boat-Home' embodies the saying: "imagination is the key to creating the perfect living space…"
Here is useful information that we hope, will fully enable you to immerse yourself and make the most of this unique canal-cultured water-garden oasis in the Centre of cosmopolitan London (where Richard Branson’s canal boat also lives!)
-We are housed at the junction of the ancient Grand Union Canal, where the waterways are the oldest form of transport in England dating back to the 16th century, way before roads as we know them, railways & air-travel….
-… and Boat Lila is nestled in the oldest living part of this historic location… underneath our ancient 150ft.. 300+ year old lime tree
-Boat Lila is an innovative post-modern expression of a traditional English Narrow canal-boat where “Less is More, where indeed less even transcends more!"
-Our home is set amidst the Lilliputian culture of Narrow Boat - where the history of that culture still thrives. We encourage and look forward to hosting guests who are open-minded & sensitive to experiencing this unique culture, which is different, yet rich in many respects from living on land in apartments or houses!
1. In the words of our Guests…
Ambience & Adventure:
“We have travelled many times to London, staying in hotels, b&b's and rental flats. In fact, we have rented flats throughout the world. Our week on Lila was by far the most enjoyable and meaningful of any of the places we have stayed.”
“Thank you for letting us into your special world”
“Looking up through the skylight while in bed and seeing the lovely tree and the sky was very peaceful”
“This clearly was a home full of all the right things and you felt it wherever you looked and touched”
“You guys are the best”
“…the most important element of our stay on the houseboat was the strong presence of Darshi, Divya and the family”
“The houseboat is very well equipped with all the amenities you would expect for comfortable daily living”
“It was a real cold spell when in London and the boat was always toasty and dry. The tub with jets was very comforting after a cold day in the city as well”
“Best of all was being on the boat in this true oasis in the middle of the city.”
“The location is superb-quiet/secluded neighbourhood yet very close to two tube stations and a short walk to great shopping and eating streets”
“Great location on the Regent's Canal-we rented bikes and rode down to the Thames one day-great adventure”
2. Our Description
Externally, the 61 ft long narrow boat is not that different from many narrow-boats, except for the striking, almost fluorescent, lime paint scheme plus the absence of a forward cockpit. It is once you step inside that the boat becomes something very different indeed.
We're renting the entire boat,situated in prestigious, unique Little Venice, a tree-lined quiet exclusive private boating community (i.e. our boat is NOT on the towpath)… AND you will have exclusive use of adjacent designer garden... which forms part of the mooring…Enjoy living in the serene green watery space besides the multi-million mansions of the Rothschilds... where Richard Branson's boat is a neighbour
By virtue of 'smart-design', Boat Lila embodies the phrase 'less simply becomes much more'
• 2-3 Bedrooms, 2 Bathrooms (one with Jacuzzi!), 2 Skylights, Open Kitchen with Dining stools, Separate 6 seater Dinette in the bow as well as Fridge, Freezer, Microwave, Oven, Water Purifier, WiFi, Outdoor Hot Tub, Outdoor 2 seater swing in Adjacent Garden for private use!
• There is a Skylight in the living room to lie in the hammock, couch or on centrally-heated floor with side radiator panels, looking up at the sky, stars & ancient 300 year old lime tree :-)
• Spacious master bedroom with king-size bed & Skylight above the bed allowing to look up the tree & stars… very calming & romantic!
• Main bathroom has his & hers basins and a deep-soaking Japanese style bath with inbuilt jacuzzi function including multi-light therapy functioning and rain shower…
• 2nd part of the boat, especially built for independent living with 5 bunks, the bottom 3 of which can convert into a super-kingsize bed while retaining the 2 single bunk beds and ample wardrobe storage.
• The lower berths are not raised up too much, so there is ample headroom to stop the occupants hitting their heads.
• There is a separate second loo adjoining the second bedroom.
• This is a self-contained wet room, with a macerator loo (containing a bidet, like the main toilet)
• There is rain shower + hand shower fitting pulls out from the sink and water drains away through the hard-wood walnut floor into a stainless steel tray.
• On the rear deck, the hard-wood walnut deck boards continue the theme from inside the boat
• Throughout the boat, lighting is by dimmable LED units which have multiple switches, giving great control.
• Combinations of under gunwale and roof lighting, plus the reflective nature of the stainless steel galley, give a very crisp feel to the interior.
• Other features include, Stainless steel galley, Innovative bathroom designs and
• Ample storage & open space
• Adjacent to the boat is a 60ft long X 20 ft wide garden space for Private use! The grass deck is great for kids/sitting/ exercise/yoga etc… alongside the grass garden are also:
• Outside wood fired Pizza oven
• Outdoor hot tub
• Outdoor Double-Seater Comfort Swing which is delightful amidst sunshine and blue skies or on a starry night!
3. Location, Attractions & Famous Residents
• Our boat-home is by the Grand Union Canal, which dates back to the 1700's & is the oldest form of transport pre-dating rail, roads & air as we know them… Situated alongside a peaceful residential area, our location carries the dual ‘wow’ factor by being close to popular London tourist attractions, while being in a world of its own
• We list out some of those in-the-immediate-area attractions below (e.g. Canalside Theatre, Portobello Market, Regent’s Park, etc)
• Our personal favourite off-the-beaten-track day trip, and one of the most soothing and attractive walking / cycling / boating routes in London is along the Jubilee Greenway from our boat-home, passing through the built-up and residential Little Venice, viewing rear facades of fine buildings, landscaping down to the canal, going past the royal Regent’s Park & famed London Zoo, heading to the top of Primrose Hill while pausing for a breath-taking view of the London skyline alongwith picnic lunch, then going back on our canal route, packed with interest, changing tone from one bridge to the next, leading from serene residential areas to the exciting atmosphere of vibrant and quirky Camden Lock Market… we start with intriguingly alternative shops for antique furniture and rustic London memorabilia to clothes at the Stables Market, experiencing the punk vibe that characterises most shops along Camden High Street, to the famed leather goods markets also on Camden High Street… as we amble through a world of vintage clothes shops, astrologers and art galleries, the aromas of global street food draw us to the farmer’s food market, and we either go local and munch on some of the market’s delicious home-made delights or walk through intricately carved woodworks at Gilgamesh to savour Pan-Asian fine dining and famed cocktails! The perfect night out ends with a live gig at the world-famous Barfly – frequented by Coldplay and Amy Winehouse or a concert at the world-reknowned Roundhouse before heading back home along the canal or taking a night bus that stops at a 5 min walking distance from toasty boat-home Lila where the cozy bed awaits under gleaming starts and the peaceful dance of tree leaves to the moon-lit breeze :-)
• For the more popular London attractions, we highly recommend our personal favourite all-day “Circular Super-Tour of London” from our boat-home! We walk or cycle from the boat through Hyde Park, to Wellington Arch, into Green Park, to (see the Queen & the changing of the guards at) Buckingham Palace, down the Mall along St. James’ Park, to Trafalgar Square (and maybe popping by Piccadilly Circus to say hi to Anteros), looking up at the Horse Guards, strolling by the Prime Minister’s pad at No. 10 Downing Street, to the church of all the coronations of England’s kings and queens – Westminster Abbey – to the Houses of Parliament next door, and then across the mighty Thames into the London Aquarium and up on the wheel of The London Eye, and then continuing all along the south bank of the Thames from the Royal Festival Hall to Tate Modern, Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre, Borough Market, and then crossing the Millenium Bridge into the square mile of the financial City of London, to attend the marvel of an evensong under the dome of St. Paul’s Cathedral… or a play / musical at the Barbican before catching a tube directly back home to Paddington for a well-deserved long soak in the heavenly hot tub … :-)
And here are some of the attractions in the immediate vicinity:
• Canal-side theatre at the Bridge House Pub immediately opposite,
• Punch & Judy shows from a nearby boat for adults of all ages…
• London's most famous garden nursery & cafe, Clifton Nurseries is just around the corner (3min)
• Great biking & walking along the canal towpath for hundreds of miles! ;-)
• Taking quaint water-buses or kayaks to the scintillating market & attractions of Camden Lock, Regent’s Park, London Zoo (20 min)
• Several parks nearby, including the Little Venice…
• Trendy WaterWays pub on the canal (3min walk)
• The Waterside Cafe, a maroon canalboat (2min walk)…
• The famous & elegant Summer House restaurant is next door (2min walk)
• Canalway Cavalcade Carnival in May & the famous Notting Hill Carnival in August (20min walk away)
• Catching the quirky vibe of the famous Portobello Market (20 min walk along the canal)
• The West End, famous for musicals, broadway, shopping, restaurants and night-life is 20 min by tube
• Shopping Haven on Oxford Circus & World Famous Selfridges are 15 and 20 min away by tube respectively
• Enjoying a pint or two and great food around the corner at the Warwick Castle Pub (2 min walk), and in a plethora of hip & trendy and other diverse pubs, restaurants & nightclubs in Notting Hill, Bayswater & Queensway, etc (5-15 mins walk)
• Running, roller-blading, cycling, boating or horse-riding in Hyde Park, Central London’s largest green space hosting the late Princess Diana’s home at Kensington Palace, the Kensington Gardens, the waterways of the Serpentine, Speakers’ Corner, various outdoor art installations / sculptures & the Serpentine Gallery (30 min walk or 20 min bus / cycle ride away), as well as visiting the nearby Royal Albert Hall for the music enthusiasts, shopping attractions of High Street Kensington, the V&A, Natural History and Science museums (20-25 min bus ride away)
4. Multiple Transport Links
- Heathrow Airport is a door-to-door 15 minutes journey by Heathrow Express into Paddington plus a 7 min walk away i.e total approx. 25 min
- Warwick Avenue (4 min walk)
- Royal Oak (5 min walk)
- Paddington (7 min walk – use Grand Union exit)
- Bayswater (10 min walk)
- Queensway (15 min walk)
- Notting Hill (20 min walk)
- Paddington (7 min walk) for the Heathrow Express and other mainline cross-country trains
- King’s Cross & St. Pancras Intl (20 min by tube) for Eurostar connections with Paris, Brussels, etc.
- London Victoria (20-25 min by tube)
- (phone number hidden) from Warwick Avenue (4 min walk)
- 18 from Royal Oak (5 mins walk)
- 23, 27 Westbourne Grove (10 mins walk)
• Convenience stores
- Sainsbury's: (5min walk) 12A, Sheldon Square, London W2 6EZ
- Waitrose: (7 min walk) The Colonnades, 30 Porchester Road, W2 6ES
- Marks & Spencers: (10 min walk) Whiteleys, 151 Queensway, W2 4YT
- Tesco Express: (10 min walk) 29 Clifton Road, London W9 1SY
1) We are happy to arrange for Airport Transfers upon request at discounted (extra) rates.
2) Weekly cleaning services can also be arranged for at a discounted (additional) charge.
2) Smoking inside the house and outside in the garden is strictly prohibited.
A penalty of GBP 200 will be charged for smoking.
3) Please always lock the hatch when leaving the boat
4) Please turn off the lights and heating when not in use and before leaving the boat
5) Deposit £200 (Refundable within 48 hours subject to no damages, breakages, loss or excess cleaning charges) Full deposit will be forfeited if neighbours are disrupted during your stay (e.g. by inconsiderate, loud, late, abusive actions etc)
Thank you for being our Conscious Guests!
Our mooring: Unique & Quaint Little Venice in autumn, view from the opposite side of Boat-home Lila :-)
The reservation was canceled 29 days before arrival. This is an automated posting.
We would like to start of with the fact that we really liked our curator Jack. He was very helpful with regard to things around the boat, like setting up the hot tub for us and providing us with information. He also was helpful with managing our trip in, but also to London by helping us with transport related things.
The boat itself was a really peaceful and calm place in the busy city that is London. All our needs were cared for on the boat, and the place was clean and well maintained. The location was also pretty handy: the metro is just a three minute walk away and things like supermarkets were also in walking distance.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay and we would recommend "Lila" (the boat) to everyone that is considering to stay there.
Susanne, Rijnder and Muriël
Even if it has not been possible to meet Darshi we had phone calls and mails and she has always been very present and well responding to our needs. The boat responsible on site Jack was a kind professional person present when necessary but not interfering or oppressive at all. The experience to leave in London on a boat is something unique and must-try-once-in your-life: completely different from whatever you may experience anywhere else. My son 19 and his friend really appreciated it 100%. For us (61 and 55) it has been exciting but of course you have to adapt yourself to an unknown before way of leaving. The position of the boat in NottinghHill/Paddington makes the experience even more unforgettable.
Lila is a lovely narrow boat situated in one of the prettiest areas of London. It is well equipped and the private garden is a delight (although I would recommend an outdoor table and chairs to enjoy al fresco eating).
Lila does have a couple of drawbacks. Getting in and out of Lila is not for those without some agility especially if you have shopping or suitcases. There is another narrow boat directly alongside so only small canal glimpses are possible. I would recommend only for couples or family as living is very close and very narrow access through one bedroom to the second bedroom.
A big thankyou to John the caretaker, a charming young Aussie who was really helpful in every way.
Totally amazing! A narrow boat full of light and life with more features that most 5 star hotels. I loved the jacuzzi bath with rain shower. The kitchen was incredibly well fitted out so that cooking was a pleasure. One night we did a feast for 8 then sat around the dining table as the sun set.
Getting that number to sleep was a breeze. We'd been shown how to set the various bed spaces up by the host. 15 minutes and we were all in bed, rocked to sleep by Lila. When I woke up, I watched the leaves of the huge lime tree above through the skylights.
During the day, we sprawled on the top of the boat and enjoyed watching the boats and passers go by. A mufti-dimensional space that proved to be far bigger than I had expected. There were nooks and crannies for everything. Keeping Lila ship-shape was a simple - and passing each other in the galley and halls became part of the fun.
A wonderful time, a great way to have cosy time with friends (or a very romantic time with a partner) with the fun and conveniences of London on the doorstep. Pubs and restaurants near by, a supermarket 5 minutes walk away and the Tube nearby. Perfect!
I am coming back to see Lila!
We came to train in Consciousness Coaching. We left with so much more. What seemed a tiny space for 6 people, became a world of expanding possibilities during our week on Lila. Aesthetic, impeccable and complete, thank you to our hosts for the inspiring journey that Lila held and contained for me during the sunniest week in June that I can remember! A unique experience. kx
Thank you Lila!
A perfect experience.
Wonderful setting completely immersed in nature whilst in the heart of London and surrounded by all the comforts of modern living.
My highlights were the Jacuzi experience, and gradually emerging from sleep to the sound of birds singing, gently lulled by the boat, looking up through the skylight to receive the lime tree in all its glory.
Strolling along the canal and observe its peaceful life was also a high, and the Summerhouse, the restaurant on the canal.
I also noticed that Lila's specific color has the power to uplift my spirit in a very subtle way.
I highly recommend the experience!
This host has 10 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, Darshi Rowan And Tara
Our ‘Lila’ Family
We are a loving close knit tri-continental family who see our dreams through to creation and inspire others to create theirs!
Rowan is a top international lawyer, playfully-provoking life-leadership coach, consultant & global-system integrator, who loves exploring, dares to visualise outside not just the box but the entire machine that produces the box ;-), and brings his vision to fruition!
Internal & external adventure lover, with Planet Earth as his primary client, Rowan is an inspirational father & student to his goddesses-at-home: 5 year old dancing-daughter, Tara, and loving husband & best friend to wife, Darshi.
Darshi is a chartered accountant, coach-consultant, global-system integrator, entrepreneur, caring wife & yummy mummy! She has led her life through fearless vision, constantly shifting paradigms and inspiring those around her with how embodied-grace & courage can transform the unexpected.
Tara is life-force personified! This 5 year old dynamite speaks with the maturity of a 55 year old at times, gives stage artists a run for their money, spontaneously coaches adult clients, embraces radical change that people of all ages can learn from & and yet warms the hearts of those around her with her unique innocence...