About this listing
Private Room on Valencia Street in Sunny Mission District
Electronic Key Card Locks
1 Full Size Bed for 1 or 2 Persons
Private Room with Private Bathroom
Free Internet Kiosk In Lobby
Close to BART & MUNI BUS LINE # 33
On Site Management - 7 Days a Week
We DO NOT Allow Pets in the Building.
We DO NOT Allow Bicycles in the Building.
We DO NOT Allow Smoking in the Building.
We DO NOT Allow Visitors in the Building.
We DO NOT Allow Loud Music or Noise(s) in the Building.
ONLY Registered Guests With Valid PIcture Identification are allowed in the Building at All Times.
Maximum - 2 Persons per room.
The room was as described, and the location was perfect for our needs. While not unfriendly, the host really didn't do anything to make us feel welcome. It did appear to be clean, but there were cockroaches, I don't know if that's just normal for the big city, but it did not seem great.
It was fine nothing fancy , luckily I had a fan in the room to circulate the air. There is no daily room service so don't expect much although whenever I need clean towels they were available
It was just what we needed. Simple, clean, great location. Close to the BART station, so we were able to take the BART straight from the airport to this neighborhood. Very convenient and WAY cheaper than a cab. No A/C so we were glad the weather was super mild, just kept the windows open. It was a little noisy outside at night, but that didn't really bother us. We also got in to town 2 hrs before check in and weren't too stoked about having to carry our stuff around for two hours, but they said our room was already clean and let us check in early!
Description was accurate. Host was friendly enough. The room was a bit smaller than I had imagined and the bed was quite small but it was clean and had a working fridge and television. The location was really good and in a really hip area of San Francisco and close the the BART travel line which meant that we could easily get around the city. There was a lot of restaurants and cool vintage shops and it is close to Delores Park.
Hotel Tropica suits the purpose. It's a budget hotel a cut or two above a hostel, so presumably you're OK with that if you're considering staying here. The good:
- The hotel is clean. The biggest worry with lower-end accommodations is hygiene, and fortunately Hotel Tropica gave no cause for complaint. Clean sheets, clean towels, clean bathrooms. The rooms even have nice mini-fridges, etc. The bed, although hardly luxurious, was in good condition, not sunken or old.
- Location is perfect if you want to enjoy SF. Two blocks from BART, and in the epicenter of Mission food, shopping, and nightlife, but also far enough away from the grottier bits.
- Hotel staff was accommodating. I checked in early and checked out late, and they were perfectly friendly about everything.
- Better (free) wifi than I've paid for in more expensive hotels.
- There is a musty smell that I'm guessing comes from the carpeting. It's pretty strong.
- As you'd expect, the walls are paper thin. I always travel with ear plugs, but you *really* need them here.
This isn't my top choice in SF, but it makes an acceptable alternative when tech conference attendees have soaked up all the reasonably priced hotel rooms in the city.
Check in process took a long time after a long flight. Free wifi, but they are strict about checking out times (11am) - even when I offered to pay extra! Even when I offered to pay extra to check out of the room and just leave my bag somewhere safe for a few hours! Was very annoying for a quick trip to SFO.
That being said, rooms are very very noisy but comfortable. Area was cool. If you just couldn't find a place and need to crash, this is fine.
This host has 208 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, Private Room
Small Hotel in Mission District of San Francisco - Valencia Street
Private Bath, Private Room, Electronic Keycard Door Locks, Free Wi-Fi
Free Internet Kiosk Computer for Our Guests to Use 24 / 7.
24 Hour Manager On Site.
Great Sunny Mission District Only 2 Blocks away from BART 16th St. Station
& MUNI BUS STOPS - 49 Line & 33 Line
CABLE TV - with HBO