About this listing
Very private and discreet room, with its own en suite bathroom in the heart of Brownstone Brooklyn. Your on-site hosts are very knowledgeable and helpful with directions and information for all of NYC.
A quiet oasis just steps away from Smith Street, one of Brooklyn’s preeminent streets for dining, nightlife, and shopping—and just 15 minutes from Manhattan. We are happy to report that we are a completely legal Airbnb listing!
We offer a a private room with en suite bath (260 sq ft, 24 m2). It’s located on the entrance level of a three-story loft-like house in Brownstone Brooklyn. On the same floor are the kitchen and the deck, overlooking a large garden.
The building is a three-story row house in a historically-landmarked area.
• Large, light-filled, airy two-story high kitchen and a spacious deck.
• Upper floors are the hosts' private quarters.
• WiFi throughout the house.
• Hardwood floors throughout (including kitchen).
• Interesting art and photography throughout; mid-century modern furniture combined eclectically with antiques and ethnic pieces.
• Light breakfast (toast/bagels, fruit, tea/coffee) provided.
• Very close to the subway (see below).
The guest room is very private and spacious; it's off the entry hallway, so you don't have to go through any rooms to get to it.
• Fully furnished with a double bed, a firm mattress, high-quality cotton (warm weather) or cotton flannel (cold weather) sheets.
• Free WiFi in bedroom and throughout the house.
• En suite bathroom with tub/shower, supplied with a hair dryer, various soaps and shampoos (if you've forgotten yours), towels, and washcloths.
• Cable/smart TV; DVD/video library; CD player; radio; iPhone charger.
• Armoire and other storage.
• Guide books for reference and use while you're here, as well as a host-compiled list of local restaurants, stores, services, entertainment, etc.
• High ceiling with ceiling fan.
Guests have access to the ground floor of the house: the guest room and bath; the kitchen, where you can have a light breakfast, but to which cooking privileges aren't extended; and the deck, which is open to the kitchen in warm weather.
Interaction with Guests
We respect your privacy, and we're sure you will respect ours; the house is ideally set up for that. We're available for help with getting around the city, recommending interesting things to do, and orienting you to the neighborhood. One of us is usually at home for any questions you might have. We like to interact but not to interfere.
Boerum Hill combines all the conveniences of an urban neighborhood, the sophistication of Brooklyn foodie heaven, and quick access to art, shopping, and sightseeing.
• A half block away from Smith Street, with restaurants of practically every cuisine and price range. Clothing and item stores, food emporia, bookstores, pharmacies, etc. line Smith and the next street over, Court Street.
• Two cinemas (a small multiplex playing a wide range of first-run films; a megaplex playing major first-run releases) are a 10-minute walk. The BAM Rose Cinema (independent and repertory films) is a 20-minute walk.
• The Brooklyn Promenade and Brooklyn Heights neighborhood are 10 minutes away.
• Brooklyn Bridge Park and the DUMBO district are 25 minutes on foot, 5 minutes by subway.
• The Brooklyn Academy of Music (performance, cinema) is a 20-minute walk; the Barclays Center is in the same area.
• Park Slope and Prospect Park are 10 minutes away by subway, about 30 minutes on foot.
• The Brooklyn Museum and the Brooklyn Botanic Garden are 20 minutes on the subway, about 40 minutes on foot.
We are a block and a half away from the F and G lines of the subway, a two minute walk. Other lines (A, C, N, R, 2, 3, 4, 5) are either a transfer one stop away or a 5- to 10-minute walk from the house. Williamsburg, Dumbo, Bushwick, Park Slope, and other sections of Brooklyn are within easy reach.
We’re close to everything in Manhattan, too:
• 15-20 minutes on the subway: Chinatown, Lower East Side, East Village, Wall Street, World Trade Center, Tribeca, SoHo, NoLita, Greenwich Village, Chelsea.
• 25 minutes on the subway: Midtown.
• 30-35 minutes on the subway: Upper West Side and Upper East Side.
Other Things to Note
Transportation to our house from the area's major airports is easy. Taxi service is available from Newark Liberty Airport, LaGuardia, and JFK. In addition, there is good public transportation from Newark and JFK. Port Authority Bus Terminal, Penn Station, and Grand Central Station are a subway ride away. We can provide you with directions. There is also on-street parking.
PLEASE NOTE: We don't usually take reservations more than three months in advance. However, feel free to make an inquiry if your dates are further out.
1. Arrival is after 2 pm and departure before 11 am. We are flexible about these hours depending on whether other guests are leaving/arriving that day.
2. At least one guest must be over 21. A mature, older teenager accompanied by a parent/guardian is fine. Regretfully, we cannot accommodate children or pets.
3. If leaving the house early or returning late (or vice versa!), please be considerate of us and our neighbors and be quiet.
4. If it’s raining when you come in, please remove your shoes in the outer hallway.
5. Put any books, tapes, or magazines back where you found them.
6. Turn off lights and ceiling fan when leaving the house; if your laptop is charged, please don’t leave the charging cord plugged in.
7. There Is an array of guidebooks in the room for your use. Please remember to leave them at the end of your stay.
8. Instructions for using WiFi, TV, and other equipment are in the room.
9. The use of the kitchen for cooking isn't available.
10. Smoking is not allowed, either inside the house or on the deck.
I'm an accessories designer and graphics production manager; my husband is a writer. We have lived in Brownstone Brooklyn over 25 years, since moving here from San Francisco. We're interested in the arts, politics, design, travel, and food. We're lucky to have a wonderful, gracious home and to be able to share it with you.