Very private and discreet room, with its own en suite bathroom in the center of Brownstone Brooklyn. Your hosts are very knowledgeable and helpful with directions and information for all of NYC.
A quiet oasis just steps away from Smith Street, one of Brooklyn’s preeminent streets for dining, nightlife, and shopping—and just 15 minutes from Manhattan.
We offer a a private room with en suite bath (260 sq ft, 24 m2). It’s located on the entrance level of a three-story loft-like house in Brownstone Brooklyn. On the same floor are the kitchen and the deck, overlooking a large garden.
The building is a three-story row house in a historically-landmarked area.
• Large, light-filled, airy two-story high kitchen and a spacious deck.
• Upper floors are the hosts' private quarters.
• WiFi throughout the house.
• Hardwood floors throughout (including kitchen).
• Interesting art and photography throughout; mid-century modern furniture combined eclectically with antiques and ethnic pieces.
• Light breakfast (toast/bagels, fruit, tea/coffee) provided.
• Very close to the subway (see below).
The guest room is very private and spacious; it's off the entry hallway, so you don't have to go through any rooms to get to it.
• Fully furnished with a double bed, high-quality cotton (warm weather) or cotton flannel (cold weather) sheets.
• Free WiFi in bedroom and throughout the house.
• En suite bathroom with tub/shower, supplied with a hair dryer, various soaps and shampoos (if you've forgotten yours), towels, and washcloths.
• Cable/smart TV; DVD/video library; CD player; radio/iPhone charger.
• Armoire and other storage.
• Guide books for reference and use while you're here, as well as a host-compiled list of local restaurants, stores, services, entertainment, etc.
• High ceiling with ceiling fan.
Guests have access to the ground floor of the house: the guest room and bath; the kitchen, where you can have a light breakfast, but to which cooking privileges aren't extended; and the deck, which is open to the kitchen in warm weather.
Interaction with Guests
We respect your privacy, and we're sure you will respect ours; the house is ideally set up for that. We're available for help with getting around the city, recommending interesting things to do, and orienting you to the neighborhood. One of us is usually at home for any questions you might have. We like to interact but not to interfere.
Boerum Hill combines all the conveniences of an urban neighborhood, the sophistication of Brooklyn foodie heaven, and quick access to art, shopping, and sightseeing.
• A half block away from Smith Street, with restaurants of practically every cuisine and price range. Clothing and item stores, food emporia, bookstores, pharmacies, etc. line Smith and the next street over, Court Street.
• Two cinemas (a small multiplex playing a wide range of first-run films; a megaplex playing major first-run releases) are a 10-minute walk. The BAM Rose Cinema (independent and repertory films) is a 20-minute walk.
• The Brooklyn Promenade and Brooklyn Heights neighborhood are 10 minutes away.
• Brooklyn Bridge Park and the DUMBO district are 25 minutes on foot, 5 minutes by subway.
• The Brooklyn Academy of Music (performance, cinema) is a 20-minute walk; the Barclays Center is in the same area.
• Park Slope and Prospect Park are 10 minutes away by subway, about 30 minutes on foot.
• The Brooklyn Museum and the Brooklyn Botanic Garden are 20 minutes on the subway, about 40 minutes on foot.
We are a block and a half away from the F and G lines of the subway. The A, C, N, R, 2, 3, 4, and 5 lines are either a transfer one stop away or a 5- to 10-minute walk from the house. Williamsburg, Dumbo, Bushwick, Park Slope, and other sections of Brooklyn are within easy reach.
We’re close to everything in Manhattan, too:
• 15-20 minutes on the subway: Chinatown, Lower East Side, East Village, Wall Street, World Trade Center, Tribeca, SoHo, NoLita, Greenwich Village, Chelsea.
• 25 minutes on the subway: Midtown.
• 30-35 minutes on the subway: Upper West Side and Upper East Side.
Other Things to Note
Transportation to our house from the area's major airports is easy. Taxi service is available from Newark Liberty Airport, LaGuardia, and JFK. In addition, there is public transportation from Newark and JFK. Port Authority Bus Terminal, Penn Station, and Grand Central Station are a subway ride away. We can provide you with directions. There is also on-street parking.
1. Arrival is after 2 pm and departure before 11 am. We are flexible about these hours depending on whether other guests are leaving/arriving that day.
2. At least one guest must be over 21. A mature, older teenager accompanied by a parent/guardian is fine. Regretfully, we cannot accommodate children.
3. If leaving the house early or returning late (or vice versa!), please be considerate of us and our neighbors and be quiet.
4. If it’s raining when you come in, please remove your shoes in the outer hallway.
5. Put any books, tapes, or magazines back where you found them.
6. Turn off lights and ceiling fan when leaving the house; if your laptop is charged, please don’t leave the charging cord plugged in.
7. There Is an array of guidebooks in the room for your use. Please remember to leave them at the end of your stay.
8. Instructions for using WiFi, TV, and other equipment are in the room.
9. The use of the kitchen for cooking isn't available.
Un grand merci à Silviano et Craig pour leur accueil chaleureux et bienveillant. Ils ont fortement participé à la réussite de nos vacances à NYC. Très présents en amont de notre arrivée (mail, texto), ils se sont souciés au quotidien de notre bienêtre. Leur résidence est typiquement newyorkaise au cœur d’un Brooklyn à la fois calme et vivant. Une chambre douillette et équipée (guides et cartes de NYC, télévision, wifi, …) juxtaposée à une pièce d’eau privative. Le métro et les bus sont à proximité du logis, facilement accessibles.
Chaque matin nous partagions un succulent petit déjeuner en discutant dans la cuisine très lumineuse de nos hôtes. Nous étions comme des rois. Silviano et Craig sont très ouverts sur le monde et intéressés par ce que l’on peut leur raconter. C’est un plaisir d’échanger avec eux, dans un français maîtrisé.
Nous ne pouvons prévoir un prochain voyage à Big Apple sans séjourner chez Silviano et Craig. Encore merci, chères hôtes, et comme nous vous l’avons proposé, vous êtes les bienvenus en Provence.
TRANSLATION: A big thanks to Silvano and Craig for their warm and friendly welcome. They greatly contributed to the success of our New York vacation. They were very communicative before our arrival (email, texts), and every day they took the trouble to find out how we were doing. They have a typically New York house in the heart of Brooklyn, where it’s calm and lively at the same time. The bedroom is cozy and well-equipped (NYC guides and maps, television, WiFi) with an en suite bathroom. The subway and buses are close by, easily accessible. Every morning we shared a delicious breakfast while talking in their light-filled kitchen. We felt like royalty. Silvano and Craig are interested in what’s going on in the world and in what you can tell them. It was a pleasure to exchange ideas with them—they have a good command of French. We can’t imagine coming to the Big Apple again without staying with Silvano and Craig. Thanks again, dear hosts, and as we told you, you’ll be welcome in Provence!
J'ai mis 3 jours avant de mettre un commentaire car j'ai eu du mal à me remettre de ce voyage et nous tenions vraiment à ne rien oublier.
Ce fût notre premier séjour à New York. Un voyage formidable qui nous a un peu bouleversés. Silvano et Graig sont des hôtes adorables, tellement touchants, chaleureux que nous avons été émus de les quitter.
Accueil parfait, Toujours de bons conseils si nous avions besoin, une maison atypique et très agréable, une grande chambre avec une salle de bain, bureau, télé... où il fait bon se retrouver tous les soirs.
Un petit dejeuner léger très appréciable ( salade de fruits frais tous les matins) face à la grande baie vitrée donnant sur le jardin avec les écureuils. Désolés Silvano qu'ils mangent vos tulipes ;) mais pour nous ils sont tellement mignons.
Leur maison à 2 mns du métro et à 15 mns de Manhattan. Le quartier de Brooklyn est agréable et vivant.
Nous sommes venus pour nous marier et le jour où nous nous sommes unis, le soir en rentrant, quelle surprise de voir 2 coupes et une bouteille de champagne dans notre chambre.
Nous avons eu beaucoup de chance d'être reçus par Silvano et Craig, si bien que si nous devions revenir un jour à New York , nous ne nous voyons pas aller ailleurs que chez eux car ça a été inoubliable. D'ici là, j'espère pouvoir parler anglais. Tous les 2 sont en plus polyglottes. Un sans faute.
Thank you very much Silvano et Graig.
TRANSLATION: I’ve waited three days before writing a review, because it’s been hard for me to get over this trip, and we really don’t want to forget anything. This was our first time in New York – a terrific trip which overwhelmed us a bit. Silvano and Craig are sweet hosts, so touching and warm that we found it hard to leave them. A perfect welcome, always good advice if we needed it, an unusual and very pleasant home, a large room with a private bath, a desk, TV … where it was good to wind up every evening. A very nice light breakfast (fresh fruit salad every morning) before the big picture window looking onto the garden with its squirrels. We’re sorry, Silvano, that they eat your tulips ;) but to us they’re really cute. Their house is 2 minutes from the subway and 15 minutes from Manhattan. The neighborhood in Brooklyn is pleasant and lively. We were very lucky to have been hosted by Silvano and Craig, so much so that if one day we should return New York , we can’t see ourselves going anywhere except their place, since it was unforgettable. By then, I hope to be able to speak English. Both of them are also polyglots, one of them faultless. Merci beaucoup Silvano and Craig.
I should write a bad review of Silvano and Craig. I should say the location is inconvenient and the apartment is in disrepair! Then possibly their apartment would be available for our next vist. The problem is they're great, the place is beautiful and perfectly situated to the subway system. My wife an I just spent another great weekend there and look forward to our next stay.
First of all, our hosts were wonderful and full of NY insight! And their place is incredibly beautiful! The house is located in very pretty Cobble Hill, near Bergen Street stop: super accessible for trips into Manhattan. It is also a really nice area to just walk around and have coffee and not having much of a plan for the day. But if you do actually want to see more, all necessary information is written down and printed out complete idiot and small-town-potato-proof. We had the best time and will come back!
We have been for a Chrismas shopping and sightseeing trip. Silvano and Craig are great and attentive hosts. Preparation to get to their house quickly was very detailed and accurate. Their place is absolutely marvelous, very clean, tidy with a hand to the details. The room is with a hugh wall of books and very nicely decorated. They show well prepared with a lot of information about where to go, eat, drink etc. In addition to the great place, the neighborhood is very quite. But you are still very close to the vibrant and loud Manhattan island, just a short ride with the subway away. Silvano and Craig, thank you for the great stay and talks. Meeting you would be worth a trip by itself.
Pregi: tutti! Difetti: nessuno! E' come essere in famiglia ma con un trattamento a 5 stelle!!! In poche parole: un'esperienza perfetta!
New York è una città stupenda e l'ospitalità di Silvano e Craig è ancor più meravigliosa!
La casa, bellissima e dotata persino di giardino (in inverno si può goderne la vista dalla spettacolare vetrata della cucina mentre si fa colazione!), è situata in un quartiere di tipiche case basse di mattoni (come nei "Robinson"!) e fornitissimo di negozi, bar, ristoranti e servizi vari, aperti anche 24 ore su 24! La stazione della metro è vicinissima e i collegamenti con Manhattan e il resto di Brooklyn sono veramente comodi e facili!
La stanza è bella, accogliente, pulita e dotata di ogni confort (anche cambio lenzuola/asciugamani, tv, prodotti da bagno eco-bio! e una collezione di libri e guide da far invidia alle biblioteche ufficiali). Le colazioni offerte (assolutamente da non sottovalutare come servizio!) sono buonissime e salutari, nonché condite da chiacchierate interessanti su ogni argomento e utilissime per scoprire i segreti della Grande Mela. Gli host, infatti, non solo sono estremamente colti, gentilissimi e in grado di parlare un italiano praticamente perfetto, ma non si risparmiamo nel fornire consigli precisi e dettagliati su cosa notare in città o nei musei, dove mangiar bene (sono dei veri buongustai!), come usare la metro per raggiungere le mete, e non mancano mai di fornire aggiornamenti meteo per meglio programmare la giornata in città. Tutto davvero perfetto!
Pluses: everything! Minuses: nothing! It’s like being at home, but with five-star treatment. In brief, a perfect experience. New York is an incredible city, and Silvano and Craig’s hospitality is even more marvelous.
The house—beautiful and with a garden (in winter you can enjoy the view through the the kitchen’s spectacular glass wall while you have breakfast) is situated in a neighborhood of low brick row houses (like on The Cosby Show) and well provided with stores, bars, restaurants, and various services, some even open 24 hours. The subway stop is very close, and it’s easy to reach Manhattan and other parts of Brooklyn from it.
The room is beautiful, warm, and clean, and every comfort is provided, including TV, organic bath products, and a collection of books and guides that would make the Public Library envious. The breakfasts they offer (a service that absolutely shouldn’t be undervalued!) are excellent and healthy. There’s interesting talk on every subject, which is also great for unlocking the secrets of the Big Apple. The hosts, in fact, are not only extremely knowledgeable, very kind, and able to speak almost perfect Italian, but they also don’t hesitate to offer precise and detailed advice on noteworthy things in the city and the museums, where to eat well (they’re quite the gourmands), and how to use the subway to get where you’re going. And they never fail to give the weather forecast so you can plan your day in the city. Everything was truly perfect!
A perfect experience. The hosts are true gentlemen. B&B's should strive to emulate these hosts. Lovely walkable, tree lined neighborhood. Very safe. The room is spacious and lined with books. They provided print outs of directions to the airport, their favorite restaurants in the area, etc. They made me breakfast every morning, which was delicious. I can't say enough good things. Marvelous.
I'm an accessories designer and graphics production manager; my husband is a writer. We have lived in Brownstone Brooklyn over 20 years, since moving here from San Francisco. We're interested in the arts, politics, design, travel, and food. We're lucky to have a wonderful, gracious home and to be able to share it with you.