Very private and discreet room, with its own en suite bathroom in the center of Brownstone Brooklyn. Your hosts are very knowledgeable and helpful with directions and information for all of NYC.
A quiet oasis just steps away from Smith Street, one of Brooklyn’s preeminent streets for dining, nightlife, and shopping—and just 15 minutes from Manhattan.
We offer a a private room with en suite bath (260 sq ft, 24 m2). It’s located on the entrance level of a three-story loft-like house in Brownstone Brooklyn. On the same floor are the kitchen and the deck, overlooking a large garden.
The building is a three-story row house in a historically-landmarked area.
• Large, light-filled, airy two-story high kitchen and a spacious deck.
• Upper floors are the hosts' private quarters.
• WiFi throughout the house.
• Hardwood floors throughout (including kitchen).
• Interesting art and photography throughout; mid-century modern furniture combined eclectically with antiques and ethnic pieces.
• Light breakfast (toast/bagels, fruit, tea/coffee) provided.
• Very close to the subway (see below).
The guest room is very private and spacious; it's off the entry hallway, so you don't have to go through any rooms to get to it.
• Fully furnished with a double bed, high-quality cotton (warm weather) or cotton flannel (cold weather) sheets.
• Free WiFi in bedroom and throughout the house.
• En suite bathroom with tub/shower, supplied with a hair dryer, various soaps and shampoos (if you've forgotten yours), towels, and washcloths.
• Cable/smart TV; DVD/video library; CD player; radio/iPhone charger.
• Armoire and other storage.
• Guide books for reference and use while you're here, as well as a host-compiled list of local restaurants, stores, services, entertainment, etc.
• High ceiling with ceiling fan.
Guests have access to the ground floor of the house: the guest room and bath; the kitchen, where you can have a light breakfast, but to which cooking privileges aren't extended; and the deck, which is open to the kitchen in warm weather.
Interaction with Guests
We respect your privacy, and we're sure you will respect ours; the house is ideally set up for that. We're available for help with getting around the city, recommending interesting things to do, and orienting you to the neighborhood. One of us is usually at home for any questions you might have. We like to interact but not to interfere.
Boerum Hill combines all the conveniences of an urban neighborhood, the sophistication of Brooklyn foodie heaven, and quick access to art, shopping, and sightseeing.
• A half block away from Smith Street, with restaurants of practically every cuisine and price range. Clothing and item stores, food emporia, bookstores, pharmacies, etc. line Smith and the next street over, Court Street.
• Two cinemas (a small multiplex playing a wide range of first-run films; a megaplex playing major first-run releases) are a 10-minute walk. The BAM Rose Cinema (independent and repertory films) is a 20-minute walk.
• The Brooklyn Promenade and Brooklyn Heights neighborhood are 10 minutes away.
• Brooklyn Bridge Park and the DUMBO district are 25 minutes on foot, 5 minutes by subway.
• The Brooklyn Academy of Music (performance, cinema) is a 20-minute walk; the Barclays Center is in the same area.
• Park Slope and Prospect Park are 10 minutes away by subway, about 30 minutes on foot.
• The Brooklyn Museum and the Brooklyn Botanic Garden are 20 minutes on the subway, about 40 minutes on foot.
We are a block and a half away from the F and G lines of the subway. The A, C, N, R, 2, 3, 4, and 5 lines are either a transfer one stop away or a 5- to 10-minute walk from the house. Williamsburg, Dumbo, Bushwick, Park Slope, and other sections of Brooklyn are within easy reach.
We’re close to everything in Manhattan, too:
• 15-20 minutes on the subway: Chinatown, Lower East Side, East Village, Wall Street, World Trade Center, Tribeca, SoHo, NoLita, Greenwich Village, Chelsea.
• 25 minutes on the subway: Midtown.
• 30-35 minutes on the subway: Upper West Side and Upper East Side.
Other Things to Note
Transportation to our house from the area's major airports is easy. Taxi service is available from Newark Liberty Airport, LaGuardia, and JFK. In addition, there is public transportation from Newark and JFK. Port Authority Bus Terminal, Penn Station, and Grand Central Station are a subway ride away. We can provide you with directions. There is also on-street parking.
1. Arrival is after 2 pm and departure before 11 am. We are flexible about these hours depending on whether other guests are leaving/arriving that day.
2. At least one guest must be over 21. A mature, older teenager accompanied by a parent/guardian is fine. Regretfully, we cannot accommodate children.
3. If leaving the house early or returning late (or vice versa!), please be considerate of us and our neighbors and be quiet.
4. If it’s raining when you come in, please remove your shoes in the outer hallway.
5. Put any books, tapes, or magazines back where you found them.
6. Turn off lights and ceiling fan when leaving the house; if your laptop is charged, please don’t leave the charging cord plugged in.
7. There Is an array of guidebooks in the room for your use. Please remember to leave them at the end of your stay.
8. Instructions for using WiFi, TV, and other equipment are in the room.
9. The use of the kitchen for cooking isn't available.
A hidden Brooklyn gem: I got off the subway to a hushed Spring late afternoon down a quaint Brooklyn street. Craig greeted me at the door. It's a lovely townhouse: renovated back in the 70s by an architect, featuring high ceilings and a grand arched glass doorway looking out to the back. Craig carefully showed me around the room that had everything a hotel room affords: towels, soap, shampoo, even a backup toothbrush and toothpaste if needed; there was printouts of local recommendations, room guidance including wireless access code, and emergency numbers; and an big subway map.
When I came back in the evening Craig, Sil and I had a pleasant cordial conversion. They are two cultured gents originally from San Fransisco. Their good taste shows in the house's appointments and colors. The morning of checkout we had a nice conversation before checkout. Sil was kind enough to allow me to leave my clothes bag until the evening so I was able to go off to my convention unencumbered.
Each conversation, they asked if there was anything I was wanting and kindly offered breakfast options. I felt I was an appreciated guest. I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet things are around the street morning and night.
I would have gladly stayed the whole weekend but Sil had the room already booked for then. Nice hosts offering a nice place.
My mum has stayed with Silvano a handful of times now and at this point it feels like returning to the very comfortable home of an old friend. She is greeted so warmly by both Silvano and Craig and they make her feel so welcome. My mum loves staying here.
We had an incredible stay with Sivano and Craig. Their home is stunning and perfectly located in a great neighbourhood. They were always willing to help us plan our route on the subway, recommend a variety of places to eat or suggest interesting activities in the city. It was also a pleasure to be able to sit and have breakfast with them in the morning. The room was equipped with everything you could possibly need during your stay and was very clean and comfortable. The experience could not have been better.
Optimales Zimmer in einem ruhigen Wohnviertel, der dennoch interessantes Strassenleben und ein U-Bhf um die Ecke bietet. Sympathische Gastgeber. Wir haben uns sehr wohl gefühlt!
Meine Freundin und ich haben im März 2015 für neun Tage bei Silvano und Craig gewohnt. Der Aufenthalt war unsere erste Erfahrung mit AirBnB, dementsprechend wussten wir beide nicht genau, was uns erwartet.
Den 5-Sterne-Bewertungen hier können wir uns aber ohne Zögern anschließen. Das Zimmer und das Haus sind genauso wie in den Bildern und der Beschreibung dargestellt. Alles ist sauber und aufgeräumt und unserer Meinung nach auch mit Geschmack eingerichtet. Die Wände sind mit interessanten Büchern vollgestellt, man hat Zugriff zu einem TV mit HBO und Co., dazu gibt es einen Schreibtisch und ausreichend Platz im Schrank. Bad und Bett sind nicht riesig, aber definitiv geräumig genug für zwei Personen (insbesondere, wenn man als Paar reist).
Silvano und Craig sind sehr zuvorkommend und (erfolgreich) bemüht, dass sich ihre Gäste wohlfühlen. Zudem lohnt es sich, die beiden nach Restaurant- oder Museumstipps etc. zu fragen. Die Vorschläge lohnten sich immer.
Das Haus liegt in einem sehr schönen Teil von Brooklyn, den man bei allem Interesse für Manhattan nicht unterschätzen sollte. Die Straße an sich ist ruhig.
Ein Aufenthalt bei Silvano und Craig können wir nur empfehlen und würden das Zimmer beim nächsten Aufenthalt in New York ohne Zögern wieder buchen.
TRANSLATION: My girlfriend and I stayed with Silvano and Craig for nine days in March 2015. The trip was our first experience with Airbnb, and so the two of us didn’t quite know what to expect.
But we can join in the 5-star ratings here without hesitation. The room and the house are just like they’re portrayed in the pictures and the description. Everything is clean and neat, and in our opinion also done with taste. The walls are packed with interesting books, there’s cable TV; there’s also a desk and plenty of room in the armoire. The bathroom and the bed aren’t huge, but definitely roomy enough for two people (especially if they’re traveling as a couple). Silvano and Craig are very helpful and want to make sure (which they do) that their guests feel comfortable. And it’s worth asking them for tips about restaurants or museums. Their suggestions are always worthwhile.
The house is in a very pretty part of Brooklyn, which, no matter how interesting Manhattan is, you shouldn’t underestimate. The street itself is quiet. We can only recommend staying with Silvano and Craig, and for our next trip to New York we wouldn’t hesitate to book the room again.
Un grand merci à Silviano et Craig pour leur accueil chaleureux et bienveillant. Ils ont fortement participé à la réussite de nos vacances à NYC. Très présents en amont de notre arrivée (mail, texto), ils se sont souciés au quotidien de notre bienêtre. Leur résidence est typiquement newyorkaise au cœur d’un Brooklyn à la fois calme et vivant. Une chambre douillette et équipée (guides et cartes de NYC, télévision, wifi, …) juxtaposée à une pièce d’eau privative. Le métro et les bus sont à proximité du logis, facilement accessibles.
Chaque matin nous partagions un succulent petit déjeuner en discutant dans la cuisine très lumineuse de nos hôtes. Nous étions comme des rois. Silviano et Craig sont très ouverts sur le monde et intéressés par ce que l’on peut leur raconter. C’est un plaisir d’échanger avec eux, dans un français maîtrisé.
Nous ne pouvons prévoir un prochain voyage à Big Apple sans séjourner chez Silviano et Craig. Encore merci, chères hôtes, et comme nous vous l’avons proposé, vous êtes les bienvenus en Provence.
TRANSLATION: A big thanks to Silvano and Craig for their warm and friendly welcome. They greatly contributed to the success of our New York vacation. They were very communicative before our arrival (email, texts), and every day they took the trouble to find out how we were doing. They have a typically New York house in the heart of Brooklyn, where it’s calm and lively at the same time. The bedroom is cozy and well-equipped (NYC guides and maps, television, WiFi) with an en suite bathroom. The subway and buses are close by, easily accessible. Every morning we shared a delicious breakfast while talking in their light-filled kitchen. We felt like royalty. Silvano and Craig are interested in what’s going on in the world and in what you can tell them. It was a pleasure to exchange ideas with them—they have a good command of French. We can’t imagine coming to the Big Apple again without staying with Silvano and Craig. Thanks again, dear hosts, and as we told you, you’ll be welcome in Provence!
J'ai mis 3 jours avant de mettre un commentaire car j'ai eu du mal à me remettre de ce voyage et nous tenions vraiment à ne rien oublier.
Ce fût notre premier séjour à New York. Un voyage formidable qui nous a un peu bouleversés. Silvano et Graig sont des hôtes adorables, tellement touchants, chaleureux que nous avons été émus de les quitter.
Accueil parfait, Toujours de bons conseils si nous avions besoin, une maison atypique et très agréable, une grande chambre avec une salle de bain, bureau, télé... où il fait bon se retrouver tous les soirs.
Un petit dejeuner léger très appréciable ( salade de fruits frais tous les matins) face à la grande baie vitrée donnant sur le jardin avec les écureuils. Désolés Silvano qu'ils mangent vos tulipes ;) mais pour nous ils sont tellement mignons.
Leur maison à 2 mns du métro et à 15 mns de Manhattan. Le quartier de Brooklyn est agréable et vivant.
Nous sommes venus pour nous marier et le jour où nous nous sommes unis, le soir en rentrant, quelle surprise de voir 2 coupes et une bouteille de champagne dans notre chambre.
Nous avons eu beaucoup de chance d'être reçus par Silvano et Craig, si bien que si nous devions revenir un jour à New York , nous ne nous voyons pas aller ailleurs que chez eux car ça a été inoubliable. D'ici là, j'espère pouvoir parler anglais. Tous les 2 sont en plus polyglottes. Un sans faute.
Thank you very much Silvano et Graig.
TRANSLATION: I’ve waited three days before writing a review, because it’s been hard for me to get over this trip, and we really don’t want to forget anything. This was our first time in New York – a terrific trip which overwhelmed us a bit. Silvano and Craig are sweet hosts, so touching and warm that we found it hard to leave them. A perfect welcome, always good advice if we needed it, an unusual and very pleasant home, a large room with a private bath, a desk, TV … where it was good to wind up every evening. A very nice light breakfast (fresh fruit salad every morning) before the big picture window looking onto the garden with its squirrels. We’re sorry, Silvano, that they eat your tulips ;) but to us they’re really cute. Their house is 2 minutes from the subway and 15 minutes from Manhattan. The neighborhood in Brooklyn is pleasant and lively. We were very lucky to have been hosted by Silvano and Craig, so much so that if one day we should return New York , we can’t see ourselves going anywhere except their place, since it was unforgettable. By then, I hope to be able to speak English. Both of them are also polyglots, one of them faultless. Merci beaucoup Silvano and Craig.
I'm an accessories designer and graphics production manager; my husband is a writer. We have lived in Brownstone Brooklyn over 20 years, since moving here from San Francisco. We're interested in the arts, politics, design, travel, and food. We're lucky to have a wonderful, gracious home and to be able to share it with you.