Excited to start hosting again, after several amazing experiences (as host and guest) over the past few years.
Why stay with me?
There's a lot of love in this downtown, modern, minimalist (as in no frills, no clutter) 2-bedroom apartment. Right now, sun is streaming into my living room, which serves as a meditation/yoga/hooping space. Serene vibes continue with my feline friend, Luca, napping peacefully, and vibrant green foliage swaying in the courtyard. (Just as lovely after a fresh snowfall, in winter.)
My place will never be a 5-star suite - and I like it this way :) The room is small and basic, but clean and totally open to decorating suggestions. If you like to paint, I'd be happy to hook you up with art supplies. (I often host painting parties; we can host one while you're here, if you like.)
In addition to the chill vibes, you'll enjoy...
- being steps away from the downtown core (Eaton Centre, 10 min.; St. Lawrence Market, 12min.; Distillery District and Art Gallery of Ontario, 20 min.)
- the streetcar stop for busy Queen St. located a 5-minute walk away
- use of free Wi-Fi
- use of in-house washer and an eco-friendly drying rack (yes, there is a dryer if you need dry clothes quick)
- having your own balcony (accessible through your bedroom and cool for smoking, with balcony door sealed shut, please ;)
- sampling from a range of fresh, often organic produce and treats, sharing in any meals I make, having basic breakfast items on hand (cereal, tea, fruit) and full use of the kitchen (Vitamix, food processor, microwave-free)
- resting your bones on a super-comfy, pillow-top, orthopedic mattress
- kicking back with a book from my shared library
- knowing you're in an LGBTQ-positive space
- receiving tips about hot parties, private gatherings, cheap (and not-so-cheap) eats from your host who LOVES this city
Interaction with Guests
Basically, if you're kind and compassionate, dig cats, and consider yourself an easy-going, open-minded traveller, you'll love it here.
If we connect, and you're interested, I'd be happy to take you on city adventures with me (beach parties, nearby farmers' markets, art and music jams). I'm blessed to have incredible friends who always welcome my guests into their homes and social events (lots of backyard BBQs!!).
If you'd prefer to do your own thing, I'm happy to leave you to it. Just let me know if you need anything.
You are expected to be the very best version of you. No pressure;)
Mutual respect is key.
- Let's do our part to maintain an enviro-friendly home. Please separate your recycling and organic waste. Turn lights, A/C, heating off when you're not around.
- Please keep the kitchen and shared bathroom clean (or as clean as you can ;), given that you're in vacation mode). Try to do your dishes in a timely fashion.
- Please stick to surfing only, using shared WiFi (no heavy downloading).
- Smoking is ok outside only, on the balconies. Please ash and dispose of butts in a container. There are lovely neighbours above and below.
- Please treat Luca with love: cuddles are great, feedings are not. I've got her on a strict diet (plan is to get the gutlet gone by 2015).
- While they can be super cute, please don't feed or attract neighbourhood raccoons. Best to keep the balconies free of food after you head back inside.
- Please keep volume low (talking, music), after 10, so as not to disturb neighbours.
Monika was a warm and gracious hostess. She made me feel welcome, taking time to point out where drinking water was, the bedroom and facilities, along with an open invitation to help myself to anything that I'd need from the fridge on my very first day.
The room itself was cozy, warm and vibrantly decorated with few but tasteful sketches and portraits, lending an artistic feel to it.
Over the course of two and a half weeks, Monika and I shared quite a few conversations and learnt a lot about each other's cultures, making my stay not only pleasant but also very enriching!
Last but not the least, there was Luca: the gentlest and most adorable cat I have met! She was playful and we soon became very good friends. Now that I'm back home, I really miss waking up to Luca snuggled near my bed.
In spite of the slightly remote location, I would still recommend Monika's home to every traveler who wants to take good memories back home.
Monika is an excellent host, always helpful and friendly. Anyone looking for a clean, well kept, charming place, close to Toronto's major attractions, will enjoy staying here. I would gladly stay here again, and am happy to have met a new friend.
Monika was a super host and went out of her way to make my visit comfortable. The place was very airy, peaceful, zen and exactly as described.
We reach Toronto few hours earlier and Monica was already ready to welcome us, as we met she was full of energy and we just followed her positivity. The neighbourhood is very peaceful and quiet compare to downtown Toronto during Caribana Festival. Its a great place for couples and she is willing to cooked breakfast every morning. I would rather go to Monika place than going to a hotel the next time I come to Toronto.
Monika was an excellent and accommodating host, greeting me with an ice cold beer on a hot Toronto day. Very inviting, and kind. The location was perfect for me, close to the Distillery, St Laurence Market, the waterfront.
I would definitely stay again, thanks so much for having me!
What a great time at Monika's place. The pad was as advertised (minimalist), so if you want five star it's not for you. If you want ambiance, convenience, and a great hostess, you can't go wrong at Monika's.
I came up for Pride weekend and anticipated being out all day every day and well into the night. Turned out I could easily walk home from the action and rest up, cool off and shower whenever I wanted. When I wanted to get away from the crowds I could take my bicycle over the to next block and ride down easy bike lanes to the waterfront, then take the ferry to the islands and ride some more.
Monika is very warm, yet is not intrusive. The cat is a delight and is also not intrusive.
Highly recommended for a single or couple with independent spirit. No better place have I found in Toronto for an exploration base.
I have been living 4 days in Monika House/Flat. I have had every morning my breakfast in the garden which you can see on the picture. Very simple and so lovely, just my cereals the cat and seat on borders under the morning sunny summer...
I have enjoy to be able to take the bicycle and ride to the Island near by (I forgot the name). So many years I have not been riding bicycle...
I have enjoyed only one evening Monika but we had lovely time. Speaking and enjoying a very nice Yoga class... we both needed it.
The bed has to be tested. I need a very good bed, and it is a orthopedic one. Just what was needed.
See you Monika next time I am in Toronto.
I'm a loving friend, teacher, and sister. While challenging, I derive great satisfaction from my job as a high school English teacher. I strive to stay balanced; improvisational movement, painting, music-making, and authentic relationships with members from a range of communities in Toronto help make this possible.
This past summer was especially memorable with several festivals and camping trips through Southern Ontario. Currently, I'm devoting more energy to environmental education and meditation. Feeling a strong call to Nelson, B.C., next summer. Fascinated by deep ecology and sustainable agriculture. Really excited about starting up a hooping club at work, this coming school year. It brings me such joy to flow with others.
5 things I can't live without? Bass music, fresh vegetables, intimate time with friends, massage, my bike.