About this listing
Come stay in our beautiful house: we have prepared a private suite with two large rooms downstairs for you with your own bathroom and private entrance. Street parking usually is right in front of our home +several public transport options.
What makes our place so warm and inviting:
*Privacy and usually fairly quiet, with your own separate entrance (through side of the house) into your large 2 room suite, with queen bed, full fold out sofa & queen air-mattress and private bathroom with a shower and tub
*Close proximity to great restaurants (see below) & public transport
*Super easy STREET parking, good freeway access, & close to SFO airport
*Access from your suite direct to our backyard with garden & trampoline
*Safe, beautiful and quiet neighborhood
*Complimentary bottle of wine, coffee/ tea and flowers upon & sometimes fruit
*We provide allergy-proof mattress/bedding
*Washer and dryer access, upon request
*Wireless Internet/Netflix and wii
* Non smoking household
*Also please note that check in is about 5:00 P.M. and check out is about 10:00 A.M.
Our space, the suite:
The first large room can be your "living room" area; the second is your bedroom with two doors that close between them (see photos), creating a quiet and private space in each room. Together, both rooms are ~380 sq. feet. In the bedroom, there is: a nightstand, dresser, a closet, a writing/work table with chair, a little heater (in case you need it) and your own private bathroom to the rear of it. In the living room/second room(two rooms +bathroom), the sofa folds out into a full size bed, big enough for one adult or two small children. There also is: a table with four chairs; a fridge; a microwave; a coffee pot; an electric kettle, toaster and basic dishes, but it is not a kitchen (no stove or kitchen sink is there) and we onky iffer ours minimally. A large TV with netflix (movies on demand) and Wii, but no broadcast or cable TV - as we usually just stream from our computers.
Larger groups usually choose to use the deluxe and very comfy queen size air mattress in one or other of the rooms: it fits in both rooms.
Sometimes, you may hear us walk from our living room to our bedrooms, but we always try to be respectful when we have guests, as not to be too loud, especially after 10 p.m. or before 7:30 a.m. and we expect a similar level of courtesy.
As well as exclusive use of the suite described above, other amenities include: a large rustic beautiful backyard, with chairs and a small table as well as a 12 foot trampoline and a a jetted tub (please let us know if you'd like to try it) in the shared second bathroom on ground floor , a great way to relax after a long day of sightseeing; however, it is shared with our teenage daughter, who is not always the tidiest of people :(.
Interaction with Guests
We are a family of three living upstairs with our sweet medium haired cat, who is not allowed downstairs. We speak French & Italian in the household between the three of us. We are usually available in person or by text though for questions about the city, good restaurant and entertainment recommendations, places to go, anything you may need downstairs, or directions.
In regards to our kitchen minimal use with occasional cooking is ok. But as we are a family, it can be a complicated to share this area full on.
Our main interaction with guests is usually during check in and check out, then as needed. We often check in with guests and make sure things are going alright, but it depends on our schedules and your needs. Sometimes one or both of us travel or get engrossed in our work or our kids. For example, we don't always wash and return dishes, but there is a sponge under our bathroom sink for those times.
We are centrally situated in a safe, beautiful quiet very residential neighborhood yet with close access to wonderful neighborhoods and anything else you could want in SF. Near so many great areas with amazing food, such as: Glen Park, Ocean St. with Whole Foods, West Portal, The Mission, Ocean Beach, the Zoo, SFO and the Peninsula. On Monterey there are plenty of Chinese restaurants and little diners too. We are also not too far from downtown. Balboa BART to main attractions is effective and fast. *Please ask us about getting downtown fast. It is best to try to to avoid rush hour if in a car and best to walk to Balboa park BART or take a bus to Glen Park BART, or Forest Hill MUNI train.
Groceries/eats very near-by:
Within a couple of blocks, we have both a large organic grocery store called Wholefoods where you can buy gorgeous organic edibles of all sorts and even stop by and have breakfast. Also there is another grocery store called Safeway very close on Monterey with a large selection of food.
As an additional service if you are staying 6 days or more, we may be able to pick up a bag of groceries and be reimbursed later.
Near us is:
We are within walking distance or very short bus ride to Glen Park, a hidden gem of a neighborhood in SF where you will have a local’s feel to the city. There you can find restaurants, such as; Osha Thai, Higher Grounds cafe or Tygers for breakfast, Le Petit Laurent and Le Corneta Taqueria are also great.
Very close to our house (7-20 mins), with little wonderful shops and restaurants, such as: Fresca (wonderful Peruvian), Roti (Indian food), Goat Hill Pizza, Xiao Loong (great Chinese), Que Syrah (friendly wine bar w/tapas) and a few cool dive bars, like the Dubliner.
Also not too far and fraught with fabulous, cute shops and restaurants (like authentic Latin American food) as well as the Dolores Park. Depending on what you are in the mood for the Mission certainly has it, a great place to go explore, yet, sadly is still considered a bit less safe than our area.
Ocean Beach: About 25 minutes away from our house on the 23 bus, depending which part you are interested in. By car it’s about 15 min.
Alemany Flea Market:The Market is open every Sunday. Market Hours: 7:00am-3:00pm.
Stern Grove Festival, in the park: A big free outdoor festival of live music and art that runs the 3rd week of June to the last week of August. Can include anything from live opera & ballet to hip hop.
SF Zoo: Take bus 23 from a block away is only about a 25 min ride away from our house.
There is good access to Silicon Valley by car or by train. Other attractions on the Penisula include: Skyline Boulevard, several state and county parks, Half-Moon Bay, the Moss Beach Distillery and Rock-Away Beach.
We often take public transport or shuttle buses to SFO as it is very easy and close by.
If you are arriving by plane into SFO or OAK airports, we may be able to meet you at the Glen Park BART station and give you a ride to our house, see the Directions section once you have booked.
Many people ask if bringing a car or public transport would be easier. We tend to tell single people that if they do not mind walking, for the shortest routes to places, to use public transport. We tend to feel that people with (small) children should bring a car unless they are very used to walking and do not mind.
Please note: We have decided to go with the moderate cancellation policy. Please read up on what that is here, as we do not want anyone to have any unpleasant surprises after booking.
Parking and Freeways:
We chose to live here partly because of the very easy access to the freeways which make it so easy to get to downtown SF, the Penisula & the South Bay. Street parking is a breeze near our house: and there is nearly always lot of space for overnight parking, although directly in front of our house, you must read the signs to avoid a ticket and curb your wheels, as there are some minor restrictions during the day, which have not caused any issues for any of our guests. Driving to Union Square, if avoiding rush hour and ball games should only take about 15 mins (if that). Parking in the Union Square garage is not as expensive as getting a ticket, but if you decide to use the meters, make sure they are filled! Tickets are expensive in SF!
Walking to Balboa BART is a fairly quick way to get to the main attractions and city center and it takes ~15 minutes to walk to Balboat BART station and in total takes 26-36 mins (depending on how fast you walk) to reach Union Square. Or you can take the 43 to the forest hill muni and then take the muni downtown. Buses are a 2 minute walk, 5 minute walk from the Muni and then about a 15 minute brisk walk to Balboa Park BART or a 22 minute walk to Glen Park BART . Our area is very quiet and safe, yet, still close to wonderful central city sites by public transport. We usually check with (website hidden) maps to determine about how long things will take depending on where we are going and which method we will use and we suggest that method to you too.
Other Things to Note
Check in & Check out:
Check in is 5-6 p.m, but earlier check ins can sometimes be accommodated.
Check out is 10 a.m.
Unless otherwise discussed and agreed upon in advance (we can sometimes be flexible, but advanced notice is helpful). Additionally please note that you are always free to store your bags here when coming or going.
When you book:
Sometimes we have people trying to book the room at the same time, when this happens we will usually take the person who books first. We usually try to warn the first person inquiring about the room that someone else is interested in booking it.
Also please note:
We go with the moderate cancellation policy. Please inform yourselves of what that means.
Additionally; our prices may vary seasonally from the price per night listed. We list the average price. Then we add cleaning and small fees for extra guests.
1. No smoking inside the house. Smoking is permitted on the front porch, on the balcony, or in the back yard, away from the door or with the door closed.
2. The cat is not allowed downstairs, please keep the main floor living room door shut to prevent him escaping. This also keeps your area quieter.
3. The garbage is divided into three sorts:
- black bin (outside in shed by door): general garbage
- blue bin (outside in shed by door): recyclables
- green bin (outside behind shed): compost
4. The internet connection is currently a bit problematic – and maybe fails every few weeks. Instructions in the case are in the house manual.
5. To use the washer and dryer ask Jeremy or Laura, they are located down in the garage, adjacent to your two room suite. (the washing machine shakes a lot when on spin cycle, so we don’t place anything on top of it. ).
6. We left soap and sponges in the bathroom below sink to wash dishes, but if needed, you can put dishes on the yellow tray and we will do them and put them back on the yellow tray.
7. No loud parties ever and please keep noise down after 10 p.m. as we will do the same for you and also keep noise down inside before 7:30 a.m. Do not use the trampoline before 9 a.m.
8. Please use the jacuzzi tub up in second bathroom up to 10 p.m.
9. For more heat, please open the vents in the ceiling, it can get a bit cold at night, so make sure you have enough blankets and have them open to let the heat in at night.
10. The house manual includes
- Phone numbers for Jeremy and Laura (feel free to text with questions)
- Internet password
- Access code for modem
11. For longer visits, please water the plants downstairs, we also can likely have your sheets changed and rooms vacuumed for longer stays.
12. Parking. There is ample street parking, but it is restricted during weekdays (Monday - Friday). Our up-hill neighbor is disabled and we prefer if you leave ample space for her transport services. The legal restrictions are: on our side of the road no parking from 9am to 3pm, and on the far side of the road, two hour limit from 8am to 4pm. Hence you can park freely, on the far side, if you arrive after 2pm or leave before 10am. If needed we can rotate cars with our cars on our driveway. In addition there is street cleaning twice a month as posted. The parking rules are enforced by ticketing.
13. The street is sloping a little. When parking outside our house and elsewhere in San Francisco you must turn your wheels towards the curb to stop the car from running down the hill. This rule is enforced by ticketing.
14. No illegal drugs or medical marijuana. Sorry.
15. Unless agreed otherwise, check out time is 10:00 am. We are usually very flexible and there is no fee for late check out; however, if we have a back to back booking, it is important that you go by ten, so the housecleaner can clean. Otherwise be open to her starting by ten (sometimes earlier if she has that need).
16. Please turn the lights and fans off when you are not using them downstairs.
17. Be respectful of the space and try not to track mud in, etc.
18. Please refer to our advertisement for great ideas on things to do locally as well as restaurants and/or text ask us, but the list I made is helpful.
19. Please do not use the trampoline before 9 AM .
20. Check out is at 10 a.m. and check in is between 5-6 p.m. (we can sometimes be flexible, if agreed in advance).
Please note: Your room is private, but we sometimes do walk down the stairs through your space to the garage to get to our washer/dryer and pick up our mail. We only do this if believe that you are out and always knock first. Also if needed (which has not happened yet) we may have to go to the fuse box, which is in your bedroom down there.