About This Listing
Serene gardens, safe neighbourhood, 4 en suite rooms, 2 apartments, clean pet-free family environment, where friendly, helpful staff guarantee your memorable stay.
German, French & Spanish are spoken, too!
Karibu / Welcome to LORESHO HOUSE!
IN A NUTSHELL:
A homely and STYLISH bungalow located in the leafy UPMARKET suburb of Loresho in Northern Nairobi. Loresho House is set in its own ¾-acre (33'000 sq-ft) compound and surrounded by LUSH GARDENS, enclosed by a 2.5m/8ft-high chain-link fence and thick kei-apple HEDGE.
Our family-owned home boasts:
1) in the main house (B&B): FOUR cosy, individually decorated and furnished rooms*, each with a PRIVATE ENTRANCE and PATIO, all EN SUITE;
2) in the Annexe (self-catering): two APARTMENTS, featuring one or two bedrooms, equipped kitchen and open-plan lounge, bathroom and private cosy garden.
All come in tasteful colour schemes and are equipped with hot-water showers.
For B&B guests we provide a delicious CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST including indigenous fruits, home grown tea and coffee. Sumptuous home-cooked meals, both Kenyan an international cuisine are readily available on request.
Loresho House comes with burglar alarms, smoke detectors and patrolled neighbourhood SECURITY (of the Loresho South Residents Association, LSRA). It is ideal for holiday makers, business travelers, summit/conference delegates, development co-operation experts, volunteers, interns, exchange students and honeymooners.
Located 27km/16mi from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (NBO), 15Km/9mi from Nairobi's Central Business District (CBD) and in close PROXIMITY to the hype Westlands shopping and entertainment quarter, we are well served by public transport and taxi services. The local shopping centre includes a supermarket, greengrocer, butchery, pharmacy, bars/pubs, petrol station, hair salon, etc. If you shall be working at the United Nations (UN) or in the Gigiri suburb, you will find Loresho House ideal, as you would not need to travel through the traffic flowing to the city centre. Incidentally, Loresho suburb is listed by the United Nations and the World Bank as a safe and recommended residential area.
Check out our F-B profile for more info.
Our rates are payable in US$, KES/Ksh, £ Sterling, or €uro (at the valid bank exchange rate) for each night.
* In the main house the 4 en suite (shower, WC) cosy guest rooms:
(3) Nature and
each have a maximum capacity of 2 guests (plus one baby cot);
* The Annexe apartments have:
- Annexe 1: a double-bedroom, kitchen, lounge (if necessary, convertible to an extra sleeping area), bathroom and garden; 40m²;
- Annexe 2: a double-bedroom, a cosy single-bedroom, kitchen, lounge, bathroom and garden; 46m²;
all at the following daily rates (between 1 - 6 nights), outside the festive seasons (Easter, Christmas):
* Single Room = US$60 / €50 (B&B)
* Double or Twin Room = US$90 / €75 (B&B)
* Annexe 1 = US$100 / €80 (self-catering)
* Annexe 2 = US$120 / €95 (self-catering)
- Min. 7-day stay (7 - 13 nights) = 10% discount (US$ 54 / €47) saving upto US$42
- Min. 14-day stay (14 - 20 nights) = 15% discount (US$51 / €44), saving upto US$126
- Min. 21-day stay (21 - 27 nights) = 20% discount (US$48 / €42), saving upto US$252
- Min. 28-day stay = 30% discount (US$42 / €36), saving at least US$504
All end-rates are rounded up to the nearest US Dollar, €uro or £ Sterling.
* Children upto 4 years, sharing a room with parents/guardians, are not charged
* Extra meals can be ordered at US$9 / €8 per guest
* Contact us for rates during the festive/holiday season
* Special rates for mid-term and long-term stay (starting from 4 weeks)
- Check-in: 2pm/1400hrs
- Check-out: 12pm/noon; or upto 6pm/1800hrs at half of the daily rate
- Special arrangements can be made on advance agreement
1) Internet is accessible via WIFI (we provide 8GB data bundle per month)
2) Laundry services: once per week for a minimum 14-day stay
3) For B&B Guests: Continental breakfast; tea/coffee/cocoa all day(self-service)
4) Housekeeping: rooms are cleaned daily for short-term stay (upto 3 nights), and twice-weekly for mid-term stay (upto 4 weeks); linen and towels are provided
5) Mosquito nets or repellents
6) Storage: each room has a built-in wardrobe (with hangers), 2 nightstands with lamps, dressing table and/or mirror
7) Accessibility: LH can be reached from the CBD or Westlands by regular taxi or by communal taxi (locally known as "matatu") no. 23 terminating at Kangemi. The remaining 700m/yd stretch can be covered by taking privately-operated saloon cars or, for the sporty, on foot (see more information under "Getting Around")
9) Ample parking on the compound
10) Security: LH is fitted with an alarm system and external security lights. There is a 24-hr neighbourhood watch service and Loresho Police Post is located 250m/yd away. The compound also borders the Kenya Police Staff College.
1) Airport transfers (pick-up and drop-off, at US$ 35-45 depending on arrival/departure time and amount of luggage)
2) B&B: Half-board (one extra meal) and full-board (two extra meals)
3) Packed meals for excursions
4) Mini-bar beverages
5) Extra laundry needs
6) Luggage storage
8) Designated drop-offs and pick-ups
9) City shopping and/or sightseeing tours
10) Neighbourhood orientation
If you need airport pick-up or drop-off, a chauffeur for within or without the environs of Nairobi, we can organise it for you with our trusted partner.
We can also point you in the right direction for Safaris and car-rentals.
Loresho House is ideal for small events, retreats and meetings; and the grounds are perfect for birthday parties, weddings and jubilee celebrations. Get in touch for more information.
!!Special Offer !!
Experience the art of growing and harvesting tea: request a trip to our very own RŨGANO KIKUYU COTTAGE, located on a plantation in Kirinyaga district on the southern slopes of MT. KENYA, a 2-hr drive from Loresho.
* WELCOME to Nairobi, welcome to LORESHO HOUSE !!
* KARIBU Nairobi, karibu LORESHO HOUSE !!
* NOTE: The online calendar on AirBnB shows full booking even when only one room is booked. That does not mean that the other rooms are not available. To be sure please locate us on popular social forums like F-B to check whether the other 3 rooms and apartments are vacant.
- Private entrances and patios
- Laundry Services (once per week for minimum 14-day booking)
Interaction with Guests
The Manager, or her representative, and household staff are normally present day and night. In case they are absent for any irregular reason, the Manager shall inform the guest and can be reached via telephone.
(The Overseas Co-ordinator is currently on site from December 2013 until June 2015.)
- Loresho House is located in a serene, peaceful, green, secure, gate-manned community, which is part of the Loresho South Residents Association (LSRA).
- LH is bordered by the Kenya Police Staff College, and the Loresho Police Post is situated 250m away.
- There is a Presbyterian church 400m (5-minutes walk) away.
- The local shopping centre, including supermarket, greengrocer, butchery, pharmacy, bar/pub, petrol station, hair salon, etc, is 400m away.
- Lions FirstSight Eye Hospital, which has many more departments beyond ophthamology) is located 500m away.
- Loresho suburb is listed by the United Nations and the World Bank as a safe and recommended residential area.
Loresho House is situated in the Loresho suburb, and like all upmarket neighbourhoods in Nairobi, it borders an semi-formal settlement - ours is called Kangemi. Kangemi straddles Waiyaki Way (A1: Nairobi-Naivasha Highway).
A) Taxi services are readily available all over the city and most are organised in associations. There is some stationed at the Kangemi partial cloverleaf. We, however, recommend that our guests ask at Loresho House for our trusted partners, to avoid any security risk.
Fares range from Ksh 500-700 (Westlands) to Ksh (phone number hidden) (CBD) to Ksh (phone number hidden) (JKIA Airport), depending on the time of day and traffic situation.
B) Public transport in Nairobi is not recommended for the soft-willed and inexperienced. Loresho House can be accessed via public transport from the Kangemi Matatu Terminal.
Nevertheless, here is an explanation of how to use public transport to and from Loresho House:
1) There are private saloon cars (4 passengers) which plow the route Kangemi-Loresho-Kibagare, along Kaptagat Road and Loresho Ridge, at a cost of Ksh 30 (US$0.35) one way. If you wish to use this service, the waiting point is at the junction of Kaptagat Grove and Kaptagat Road, 100m from Loresho House.
2) At Kangemi (700m from LH), there is a large number of "matatus" (communal taxis/vans with 14 passengers) available, all in competition for passengers. Matatus are identifiable by a yellow stripe running along the side; most are white vans. Number 23 terminates in the CBD (Central Business District) at Odeon Cinema on Latema Road, and may use one of the following routes:
i) Waiyaki Way - Chiromo Road - Uhuru Highway - University Way - Globe Cinema Roundabout - Koja Mosque Roundabout - Tom Mboya Avenue - Latema Road
ii) Waiyaki Way - Chiromo Road - Uhuru Highway - University Way - Globe Cinema Roundabout - Koja Mosque Roundabout - River Road - Latema Road
iii) Waiyaki Way - Chiromo Road - Museum Hill - Kipande Road - Globe Cinema Roundabout - Koja Mosque Roundabout - Tom Mboya Avenue - Latema Road
iv) Waiyaki Way - Chiromo Road - Museum Hill - Kipande Road - Globe Cinema Roundabout - Koja Mosque Roundabout - River Road - Latema Road
Matatus on Route 23 pass through Sodom, Waruku, Nairobi School, ABC Place, Safaricom House, Brookside Drive, St. Mark's, Westlands, Chiromo/Riverside, Museum Hill, then take one of the 4 routes above, through:
i) University, Central Police Station, Globe Cinema, Koja Mosque
ii) University, Central Police Station, Globe Cinema, Koja Mosque, River Road
iii) Ngara Road Junction, Globe Cinema, Koja Mosque
iv) Ngara Road Junction, Globe Cinema, Koja Mosque, River Road
Route (i) is the official route. However, there is no way of knowing beforehand, which of the 4 routes the matatu shall use, since the driver decides spontaneously depending on the traffic situation.
The fare to be paid is between Ksh 30 - Ksh 50 (off-peak hours) and Ksh 50 - Ksh 100 (peak/rush hours).
Other Things to Note
Walking within Loresho Estate is ordinarily safe. Within the gated community of Loresho South Residents Association, you can normally walk, jog and run from dawn to dusk, since the gates are manned, access is controlled and patrols are carried out by security services.
However, avoid wearing visible expensive jewellery and carrying valuable devices when walking in Nairobi. Always be vigilant and aware of your surroundings. Dress appropriately, do not bring attention to yourself and keep away from any altercation or conflict.
- Check-in: from 2pm
- Check-out: by 12noon; upto 6pm at half of the daily rate
- Special arrangements can be made on advance agreement
2) HOUSE RULES
- The interior of Loresho House is fitted with smoke-detectors and is, thus, a non-smoking environment; smokers may use the designated areas in the private patios adjacent to the rooms. We provide ashtrays on request.
- For guests residing in the main house (ensuite rooms), hard liquor and alcohol can be consumed in the dining veranda or private patios.
- For B&B guests, lunches and dinners may be ordered on the previous evening or by 9am on the required day.
- Rooms are cleaned regularly, however we request that guests maintain a decent level of tidiness.
- Our staff is trustworthy, though valuables should not be left unattended, or should be handed over to the Manager for safekeeping. Neglecting this requirement means that we cannot be liable for any loss.
- For security purposes, all keys associated with the guestroom shall be handed over to the Manager before the guest leaves the house at any time.
- Apart from the many chirping birds which find refuge in our trees, Loresho House is a pet-free environment.
Thanks so much Nyandia for the time at your place and your service. It was perfect to get a rest after our long days and the area really offers the required peace to relax. Furthermore the apartments are perfectly located and close to Nakuru Highway which perfectly connected us to the city center. Will definitly recomend your place to everybody staying in Nairobi! All the best and see you soon again!
We had a short but lovely stay at Loresho House and could profit from the warm and welcoming atmosphere. The flexibility and friendliness of everybody in the team helped us to a great start into our Kenia-vacation.
We LOVED our stay in Loesho. Our hostesses could not have been more pleasant! They arranged a pick up from the shuttle station and several excursions during our stay. The room was lovely as was the garden and grounds. It's a gated community so we felt safe walking around the neighborhood. We highly recommend!! I would stay here again!
THE LOCATION: It is a gated community with security agents at the gate. We had no security trouble during our stay. Some people who work for the residents or other people who live in the neighborhood pass by but they have never caused trouble. We would jog around safely.
THE HOUSE: It is a quite large house with a nice and well-maintained garden. I absolutely loved the garden because it was green, spacious and a variety of birds would fly around. I would just sit there, enjoy and relax. It was not totally peaceful then because there were construction works in the yard, but otherwise it would quite peaceful!
THE PEOPLE: Jean was very welcoming and she made us comfortable. She introduced us to her family via the pictures and tried her best to make us feel at home. We also met Irene, who cooked most of our meals. It was always nice to chat with her. Then there was also Ann, the maid, who was very helpful and such a sweet lady. Simon, the taxi driver, was very friendly and helpful.
FOOD: The food is varied with lots of vegetables. It was always kept clean. The breakfast consists of toasts, butter, jam, one fried egg, one sausage and slices of tomatoes and cucumber with fruits.
HYGIENE: Ann does a good job to keep the whole house clean. The rooms are cleaned every 2-3 days and the bed sheets are changed every week.
We had clean food for all meals, but I unfortunately got very sick on my last day. This was probably due to the sour mango.
INTERNET: I had some trouble with the connection on the very first days but Jean called a technician and he did all he could to find a solution. Internet connections are not advanced and are quite expensive. The internet connection is shared with the whole house.
ENTERTAINMENT: There is no TV in the rooms; only one in the living room. We would watch the local channels sometimes but there was nothing interesting to watch; except the news. There is no DSTV.
Fortunately, Jean offered us a radio in our room; so we would spend our time listening to the radio.
YOU WILL LIKE THE PLACE: If you don't mind living with other people. Sometimes there would be noise in the early morning or late in the evening.
If you are looking for a safe place.
If you want to interact with people and not just stay in a hotel on your own.
If you don't mind having no TV.
If you want home-made meals.
If you love being able to relax outdoors in a garden.
They are actually building and making renovations. I wish them good luck and more forthcoming success in their business :)
We had such a lovely visit with Jean! She made us feel so welcome. Her house and gardens are beautiful! We really fell in love with it. Her driver, Simon was exceptional. He drove us all over Nairobi and helped us find places we never would have found on our own. It was a wonderful experience and we hope to go back again.
About the Host, Jean
A retired, widely-travelled lady, here to offer you the Kenyan home experience.
I am assisted by my daughters, who are Hospitality professionals, and speak Swahili, as well as German, French and Spanish.
Local neighbourhood police presence.Loresho Ridge Nairobi Nairobi
Supermarket, bars/pubs, hair salon, pharmacyLoresho Ridge Nairobi Nairobi
SecurityLoresho Ridge Nairobi Nairobi
Religion: Christian/Presbyterian Website:Loresho Ridge Nairobi Nairobi
Embassy of MexicoNairobi Nairobi
Hospital with the following departments: - ophthalmology, dental, renal, pharmacy, laboratory, hearing unit. Website: (website hidden)Kaptagat Rd Nairobi Nairobi 00800
Kenya Agricultural Research Institute Website: (website hidden)Nairobi
Pets medical needs and emergencies. Website: (website hidden)Loresho Ridge Nairobi Nairobi 00600
Leading provider of farm productivity inputs Website: (website hidden)Nairobi Nairobi
High-quality cuisine, serene gardens, restaurant and coffee/teahouse. Secure parking. Website: (website hidden)Nairobi Nairobi
Spanish cuisine and kids menu Situated on Grevillea Grove 41 in Kyuna Estate. Website: http:/(website hidden)Kyuna Crescent Nairobi City Nairobi
Sports: Golf Club Website: (website hidden)Nairobi Nairobi
Shopping complex, including restaurants, ATMS, greengrocer, supermarket, butchery.Waiyaki Way Nairobi Nairobi 00100
Medium-priced caféLower Kabete Rd Nairobi Nairobi
Restaurant, Supermarket, Butchery, Petrol Station, Pharmacy, GreengrocerShanzu Road Nairobi Nairobi
Peaceful, medium-priced café and restaurantGeneral Mathenge Dr Nairobi Nairobi