This quiet, carefully furnished 2-story loft is located at the cultural center of NYC in a quaint building with a keyed elevator opening directly into the loft. All subways cross here, making it convenient and affordable to visit any part of NYC.
**Note to film/tv producers or other commercial inquiries: sorry but the loft is unavailable for shoots. No exceptions.**
This 1800 sq ft / 550 sq meter apartment is situated in a converted warehouse and has very high (20 ft/ 6 m) ceilings, large windows to the North and South and a large skylight, all of which make the apartment very sunny -- a rarity in Manhattan.
The space has a rotating art collection. Some of the paintings and photographs were made by friends, some by artists who had retrospectives at MoMA, and others from contemporary art galleries in South Africa, where I used to visit frequently for work.
Linens are hotel-quality, professionally laundered and used only for guests. A housekeeper comes every Wednesday afternoon. If you like, I can arrange for her to come during your stay otherwise your privacy will be respected.
On the first floor, the keyed elevator opens up into a dining area. A full bath is off to the left. It is fairly small, but clean and functional, with a shower and shelving for toiletries. I enjoy cooking so the kitchen is fully stocked with all equipment (and pantry items which you are very welcome to use). In the back of the first floor is a cozy living room situated under a large skylight. This is the room most favored by my friends.
The second floor has another living area. The couch can be converted into single bed if needed to sleep 5 in total. (Please let me know if you would like this option prior to your arrival.) The office area includes access to a color printer and wifi.
The upstairs bathroom includes double sinks, a sauna, a jacuzzi tub, and a shower stall. There is a full washer/dryer, iron and ironing board. While there are no closets per se, there is a garment rack with ample hangers for hanging clothes and suitcase racks in each of the bedrooms.
There is an open guest room/alcove with a double bed in the front of the second floor. This room is also situated under the skylight. (It is very enjoyable to sleep here during a rainstorm or snowstorm.) In the back of the loft is another open but quiet bedroom with a queen bed. (The floor plan in the photo gallery can help with an understanding of the layout of the bedrooms.)
If you are browsing this listing, you already know SoHo is an affluent neighborhood with artistic roots. It has most of the best shopping in the city, as well as some terrific dining. (The tourists are usually staying and dining in Midtown or the Meatpacking District.)
One of the things I like best about living here is that the apartment is within walking distance of many other wonderful neighborhoods. While SoHo has all the well-known boutiques, two blocks east is NoLiTa, which has local boutiques with items you won't find in other cities. Nearby is Greenwich Village (quaint), Union Square (farmer's market), Chinatown (cultural voyeurism), and the Lower East Side (hipster).
As I mention prior, SoHo is the only neighborhood in NYC where all 5 major Manhattan subways have stops (ACE, BDFM, 6, NR, 1/9). We also have Citi Bikes which you can easily rent, and there are two stations within 2 blocks of the apartment.
When you arrive, I will have a map populated with insider tips on what to do in the neighborhood and beyond. Someone could literally spend a month in the 20 square blocks surrounding the apartment and still not fully experience all the interesting things in the area. I am glad to help with any specific interests you may have as well.
CHALLENGES TO SOME, ADVANTAGES TO OTHERS ...
- The apartment has many artful, delicate objects and furnishings; a few guests have commented that this is stressful for families with small children
- While each sleeping area is private, please note this is a _true loft_ meaning there are no bedroom doors; you can see the floor plan in the photos for visual details ...
- The apartment is sunny, including the sleeping areas. This is a rarity in NYC and prized by NYers.
I look forward to being your host, and helping you enjoy the city like a native New Yorker.
- Because this is my home, please tell me a bit about who will be staying and/or complete your guest profile including verifications
- The site auto-calculates the rate. Kindly note the price for the loft is fixed. This is the least expensive website to rent the apartment through -- it rents through other broker sites for $880-$1040 a night.
- Best suited for mature, respectful adults; not a party loft and not the best option for children 2-10
- Check in time is 4:00 PM and check out time is 11 AM. For foreign visitors, an early AM arrival or late afternoon departure can be arranged for $250 on either end. Please let me know at time of booking if you would like to arrange for this. Otherwise you are more than welcome to leave luggage in the foyer if you have a later flight.
- Pets are a possibility
Interaction with Guests
I generally leave town early prior to guests' arrival to accommodate a proper and thorough cleaning and resetting of the apartment. If it would be helpful, I am glad to speak on the phone of (website hidden) to help you get you acquainted with the space and answer any questions. Regardless, I will email you a detailed house guide once the booking is accepted.
This is a stimulating and creative neighborhood to live in, work in, and visit. Uptown is very 'straight'/generic and midtown is commercial. Downtown is where all the color is because of the small, unique neighborhoods ...
Very few, but here are a few requests:
1. Smoking outside please
2. Kindly remove shoes while in the apartment to preserve the white carpets and Danish floor upstairs. Related, I would sincerely appreciate it if you would carry versus roll luggage upstairs, as the luggage wheel marks are difficult to remove.
3. Please no luggage on the shelving surfaces in the bedrooms - this requires repainting after every guest. There are luggage racks in each bedroom as well a hanging area.
4. This is a very old building which is constantly settling. This means if you open windows, they can be extremely difficult to close again. It's best to keep them shut and use the heating/cooling system to regulate temperature. (As with any city, fresh air isn't our strong suit anyway ...)
5. For some reason several guests have not respected the personal storage areas blocked off as private. Kindly honor this request. Breaking any privacy seals on the 2 restricted cabinets forfeits the full deposit.
6. One of the things I hope makes the apartment interesting is the decorative items throughout the space. It is as upsetting for me to replace something as it is for a guest to pay for a broken item. I do not have receipts for most, which means that if there is breakage the guest will have to trust my estimate of the original cost of the item.
7. If there is anything I can do to help you before or during your stay, please contact me right away. It's important to me that your visit is as seamless as possible and I would like to know what would make your stay easier. 99% of the time, I will have a solution at my finger tips ...
We had a lovely time in this beautiful appartment!
Lisa was the perfect host and replied all our emails directly. She made us feel very welcome before and during the stay. The recomendations Lisa gave us added a lot of value to our vacation.
The loft couldn't be located any better. We loved the neighbourhood.
The appartment was perfect. So beautiful and light, so inspiring with all it's art pieces and furniture.
I can highly recommend Lisa's rare, elegant loft - it is true to its description.
While we carefully considered the loft's layout prior to booking, as a family of 4 with two adult children (19 and 21), we were comfortable and it certainly worked for us.
The location, in Soho, is exceptional - close to galleries, shopping, cafe's, delicatessens, restaurants, and importantly, several subway lines which makes getting around New York a breeze.
From our first communication to the last day of our stay, Lisa was there for us with expert local advice and assistance.
It is rare indeed to be able to live and feel like a local, but staying here certainly made that possible - an experience you are unlikely to achieve in a hotel or large apartment block. The loft was our oasis. Appointed to a very high standard and unique due to the extensive and tastefully curated artwork throughout. We were constantly noticing pieces throughout our stay, a painting, a little sculpture, or ornament, as though the artwork was only gradually revealing itself.
Lisa, compliments to you on the lofts presentation and thank you for kind assistance, we had a wonderful stay and wouldn't hesitate to return.
5 of us spent Christmas at Lisa's beautiful flat, and we could not have been more pleased with the location and comfort the flat offered. Lisa was a responsive host who is very considerate with her guests. She had left us a bottle of wine and decorated the flat with tasteful Christmas lights, a nice touch to bring some holiday mood.
The kitchen was fully equipped to enable us to prepare a Christmas dinner, including a tasty pork roast. The oven works well! The showers were powerful and hot, fluffy towels provided, we all slept well, and the sofa bed was also very comfy to sleep on. It was kind of Lisa to offer an inflatable mattress as an alternative option for more privacy, should we need that.
A few of us would have liked to open a window once in a while as we did spend a quite a bit of time in the flat, however that really didn't bother us too much as the flat is quite big and airy in the way it is built.
Shops, subway and restaurants were easily accessible (great location to grab some Boxing Day deals), and we highly recommend Fiat a few blocs away for an excellent french toast. Everyone was really pleased with the stay, top marks for the host!
Beautifully decorated loft with a fabulous location. Could not have asked for a better property. Lisa was a gracious host and helpful in giving us a list of favorite restaurants, shops and things to do. Would definitely visit this property again next time in New York.
We stayed 10 days at Lisa's beautiful loft. She was a great host. The location is perfect for Soho lovers and the flat is surprisingly quiet. Highly recommended
Wir (4 Freundinnen) hatten eine wunderbare Zeit in Lisas Loft. Alles hat gestimmt: die Lage, die wunderbare und speziell eingerichtete Loft, die vielen Tipps der Gastgeberin. Wir würden jederzeit wiederkommen. Danke Lisa, dass du uns deine tolle Loft zur Verfügung gestellt hast. Wir hätten dich gerne kennengelernt!
There are only good things to say about Lisa and her apartment. She has been very helpful before we get to her apartment and made sure that everything was perfect. there was a kind note explaining everything about the apartment and also advises about the neighborhood concerning restaurants, shops etc.. the apartment is exactly as described. it is a very nice apartment , decorated with refinement and very clean . we had a perfect time with my wife and our 3 kids at her place . the location could not be better and metro is just a few steps away. the week we stayed in Lisa 's apartment , it was hot in NY and the upper floor could be a bit too warm at time despite the air condition but i called Lisa and she immediately proposed some solution to accommodate us. she was really a perfect host.
This host has 1 review for other properties.View Other Reviews
Hello, I'm Lisa. I own a marketing research and strategy firm that specializes in launches and relaunches. We work for clients such as CHANEL, Mercedes-Benz, The Economist and the United Nations.
I enjoy having big and small dinner parties, do activist work for anti-torture causes -- including animal rights -- as well as ski, scuba, and paint now and then.
I have special ties to Denmark and South Africa, so I am especially fond of guests from either of those parts of the world. But all are welcome!