Upon arrival with my 4 month old baby, I plugged in the space heaters they had provided to heat the chilly house. The power immediately shut off to the majority of the living area, and the staff of the Rancho was unable to fix it. So, for the first night of our stay (where the temp dropped to 29 degrees), we used the oven to heat the lower level of the house, and a space heater to heat the bedroom (which, thankfully, still had power). I was traveling alone with my baby, feeling desperate and unable to fathom a second night in the dark and cold, so I asked for candles and blankets to make it through the second night (an electrician was scheduled to come on the third day of my stay to sort the power out). Wonderfully, the woman at the front desk at the Rancho came over and was able to fix the breaker, so we only were without light and heat for 24 hours instead of 48.
Not wanting to be a sourpuss, I wrote private guest feedback, hoping to get, at minimum, an apology for this cold dark mess. And, hopefully, some kind of refund for the stressful first day of my stay. But no response. So, I'm sorry to air my grievances in public, but I just can recommend staying at this place, nor do I ever want to stay there again.