About this listing
View of living room from the entry hall. Fireplace (decorative only--no wood burning allowed) & free exchange library
NOTE: Rentals shorter than 5 days accepted within 60 days of request, as most of our requests are for 1 week to several months. We accept reservations up to 6 months from present date, with exceptions for longer-term rentals such as an entire month or quarter.
Cute 2-bedroom, 1-bath cottage on a private drive in Sharon Heights/West Menlo Park. Within walking or easy biking distance of Stanford University, Stanford Hospital, SLAC National Accelerator Center and the Sand Hill Road venture capital corridor. By car, less than 5 minutes from Hwy 280.
Two local shopping districts are within walking distance and include a U.S. Post Office, a gas station, 24-hour Safeway, CVS pharmacy, 2 Starbucks, 2 delis, and The Dutch Goose local landmark student and family pub.
Per (SENSITIVE CONTENTS HIDDEN) maps, the walking distance to the middle of Stanford campus is only 2.0 miles, 38 minutes. Walking distance to Stanford Hospital or clinics is 1.6 miles, 32 minutes. The Stanford Driving Range is even closer, open to the public and very reasonably priced at only $3 for 25 balls!
Also within walking distance are Las Lomitas Elementary and La Entrada Middle Schools. This is an ideal set-up for a out-of-towners wanting to spend time with friends or family in the area.
The cottage has 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and includes:
• master bedroom with king-sized bed, nightstands, and dresser
• 2nd bedroom with double bed & foam sofa which folds out to make a 3rd bed
• full bath with combination tub/shower, sink and storage
• new, high-efficiency washer & dryer conveniently located in cupboard in far corner of the spacious kitchen
• living room with built-in bookshelves & windowed wall to the backyard
• well-worn but super comfortable over-sized sofa set
• decorative fireplace (no wood-burning allowed)
• private, shaded backyard with lawn, mature foliage, and 3 giant Coast redwood trees
• wisteria-arbored patio with outdoor table and chairs
• plenty of closet space
• all utilities are included: gas & electric, water, weekly garbage & recycling
• bi-weekly gardening service keeps grass trimmed and yard neat
Fully equipped dine-in kitchen includes refrigerator, oven, gas stove, small automatic dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave and coffee maker. Table and chairs comfortably seat up to 6.
• high-speed internet
• washer & dryer in kitchen utility cupboard (supplies included!)
• all-cotton quality bed linens; down comforters and pillows
• ample supply of towels (please bring your own toiletries)
• 36" TV (broadcast TV, but no cable)
• energy-efficient heating system with ‘smart' thermostat
• off-street parking space on the private drive
LOVELY SETTING, GREAT HIKING
Tucked back from the street on a private driveway, shared with only one other house. Includes convenient off-street parking. West Menlo Park is full of bike paths and nice, easy walks. Cottage is less than 3 miles from the closest entrance to the Stanford “Dish Walk," a 5-mile paved path through the foothills with spectacular views of the entire Bay, from San Francisco to San Jose! And there's lots of great hiking in the surrounding foothills.
BONUS STUDIO OPTION
There is a separate studio apartment unit attached to the cottage, rented separately on airbnb. If you are interested in renting the studio for extra guests or family members, please let us know.
Many of our guests are international scholars coming to teach, research or study at Stanford. Many of them prefer not to rent a car and have been happy to be walking or biking distance from campus. If you'd like to bike, we have a spare bike we rent you at a nominal cost: $5 a day, $25 a week or $75 a month plus $150 fully refundable deposit. It's a medium-sized 15-speed Huffy with handbrakes.
We are also less than 30 minutes' drive from both San Francisco (SFO) and San Jose (SJC) airports, except during rush hours, when it's of course longer.
Alternatively, you can take the train from SFO airport—not fast, but very inexpensive:
(1) BART directly from SFO to Millbrae CalTrain station (about 15 min, approx $4)
(2) train to Menlo Park (under 30 minutes, approx $5)
(3) then right down Santa Cruz Ave from the station (20-minute brisk walk or very short taxi ride).
We live right next door and are happy to answer any questions you may have about the area or provide recommendations, and are available if you need any assistance once you've arrived.
Will consider pets with solid references and an additional fully refundable security deposit of $250.
Please email details of your needs.
We have maintained the cottage as a shoe-free space. We ask that you keep shoes off indoors to ensure that the floor is extra-clean for yourself and other guests.
We are very diligent about recycling everything possible, which our excellent local recycling service makes possible, which encourages us to recycle over 50% of all waste. They make it easy, with glass, metal, plastic and clean paper can all be recycled in the same container, and composting in another. Of course we provide details in the house manual.
No smoking allowed on our property. No exceptions.
LEGAL INTERNET USE ONLY
Comcast, our high-speed ISP, expressly forbids illegal downloads using bit-torrent or similar technology. Unfortunately, there have been some issue with this in the past, so must ask our guests to agree to this policy in writing upon arrival.