Historic bungalow 20 minutes from the White House! One-bedroom apartment with living room (includes sofa bed), dining room, vegetarian kitchen, & bathroom. Private entrance, WiFi, cable TV, & off-street parking. Near public transportation.
* Relax in the living room, which features a 32-inch TV and DVD player, cable TV, and a massage chair! Thumb through your copy of The Veg-DC Vegetarian Guide to Washington, DC. Read a book or watch a DVD from my collections.
* Prepare vegetarian food in the well-appointed kitchen. Small appliances include a microwave oven, dishwasher, toaster oven, blender, and coffee maker. A few vegan beverages and snacks are also provided. (Please, NO COOKING OF MEAT, including birds and fish.)
* Refresh in the bathroom, which is stocked with a hair dryer, fluffy towels, hand soap, body wash, shampoo, lotion, razors, and other toiletries, just in case you forget to bring your own.
* Enjoy warm days and evenings on the furnished front porch or backyard patio overlooking flower gardens.
* All guests have access to an iron, ironing board, and vacuum cleaner stored in the bedroom.
* Long-term guests receive basic housekeeping services approximately every three weeks.
* International guests have access to a domestic cell phone.
* Backyard with furnished patio and flower garden are shared with me.
* Washer and dryer in basement are shared with me.
* I live in a completely separated part of the house.
Interaction with Guests
* The privacy of guests is respected. However, I will check in by text periodically to make sure you have all you need.
* I will respond quickly to any problems. I encourage guests to text or call me immediately if anything is wrong.
* Mount Rainier is a great little city, named "up and coming" by the Washingtonian Magazine, with a new gateway arts district and a small-town sense of community. It’s very diverse and progressive.
* Your Vegetarian Oasis is half a block from Rhode Island Avenue (Route 1). Just around the corner, you will find the post office. City Hall and the public library are a block away. Walk a couple of blocks more, and you’re in Northeast Washington, DC.
* Within about two or three blocks from the house are Glut vegetarian food co-op, Sweet and Natural vegan restaurant and bakery, Urban Eats coffee shop, Joe's Movement Emporium (yoga, dance, and exercise classes), antique and thrift stores, and more.
* It’s a five-minute drive or bus ride to Busboys and Poets restaurant, Tara Thai restaurant, Yes Organic Market, Chipotle restaurant, and Elevation Burger restaurant in Hyattsville. Other nearby chain stores include Ikea home furnishings, CVS drug store, Giant Food, Subway sandwiches, and Shoppers Food Warehouse.
* Ten minutes away, you’ll find The Mall at Prince George's Plaza, a movie multiplex, and an inexpensive community center with a well-equipped exercise room and various activities.
* Your Vegetarian Oasis is convenient to public transportation, restaurants, and grocery stores.
* Public transportation can take you to the heart of Washington in half an hour. I provide SmarTrip cards as well as subway maps and bus schedules.
* Less than a block away is the stop for several buses that go to the Rhode Island Avenue or Prince George's Plaza Metro station in 10 minutes.
* It's about a 10-minute drive to the University of MD and a 12-minute drive to Columbia Heights or U Street.
* You can bike to downtown DC, Capitol Hill, Hyattsville, or College Park.
* Check out the map at the bottom of this page to learn about all of the great attractions that are nearby.
Other Things to Note
* I’m looking forward to hosting you. Contact me right now!
* Absolutely no cooking of meat, fish, or poultry in the kitchen or on the BBQ grill.
* No smoking, for your health and mine.
* No hair dyeing, and no over-the-door hooks.
* For security purposes, you should complete your Airbnb profile, including a picture, and bring a government issued photo ID.
* Make your reservation at least 48 hours in advance.
* Remove outdoor shoes upon entering the house. Remember to bring slippers.
* No overnight guests who are not part of the advanced, Airbnb reservation.
* If you need flexibility around specified check-in or check-out times, please let me know in advance.
Merlene and her home are PERFECT! She is the best hostess and goes above and beyond what I would expect from this airbnb experience. When we arrived at her home, she had coffee, creamer, snacks and drinks ready for us upon our arrival after our long drive in from Michigan. It was so nice to not have to go back out in the car, hungry and tired to get something to eat. We were able to relax right away, sit with some wonderful snacks/drinks while we planned our events for the evening and the following day.
Her home is quaint, quiet, well appointed and immaculately clean. We felt comfortable and welcomed immediately and pretty much anything we could need was ready and available in her home. Merlene is very available and doesn't mind answering any questions you might have about the house, DC, the Metro...ANYTHING. I always felt that she was our "life line" if we needed anything.
Merlene had a folder of information about DC, restaurants, stores, etc. The Metro bus line is so easy to catch within LITERALLY 2 minutes of stepping out the door. The Metro app for a smart phone will tell you how many minutes until the next bus is due in at the stop around the corner from her house. The buses are a fast & easy way to get to the Metro rail station that will take you just about anywhere you want/need to go in the DC area. Merlene provides some Metro cards with a little bit of $$$ to get you on your way. Just add money on any bus or Metro station as you need to along the way. Being from the Motor City where mass transit is virtually non-existent, we LOVED riding the Metro system. It is easy, fast and convenient even for travelers not familiar with the city.
The beds and linens are cozy and Merlene has plenty of extra towels and blankets available if you need them. I am a light sleeper and slept well even the first night in the house. You can hear trains occasionally at night, but they are not super loud and I was able to go back to sleep right away. Her shower is awesome! Hot water right away and excellent water pressure (better than at OUR house!).
The neighborhood is very lively, friendly and diverse and we always felt like we could approach anyone to ask for directions or anything like that. There are small shops, and a few restaurants nearby and many more only a short drive up Rhode Island Ave to Hyattsville where we enjoyed a great Thai Restaurant as well as some favorites for our kids (Jimmy Johns, Chipotle and a frozen yogurt place).
I know they say "there's no place like home", but I honestly didn't want to leave. Merlene does a great job of making her place feel like home away from home.
We had a very nice time in your lovely house. We felt much welcome and you have made the house and garden into a little oasis away from the big city. The house is spacious, very clean, comfortable and has everything you need for a long stay and also you had provided us with snacks, tea and coffee which was so nice after a long trip. Our best recommendation.
We had a great time!!!
Merlene was very welcoming and left us goodies.
She helps us with all of our questions.
The house was very clean and unique.
The location is good
And we recommend this house.
Michal, Yaniv and the children.
Staying at Marlene's house was s great experience. She is great, a really nice person and very helpful. I stayed at her house for four months and she really made me feel like I was at home.
The house is beautiful, very well kept and clean, is comfortable and it has every thing you can need, from kitchen appliances and a metro card, to board games and tourist information about DC.
Also, the location is very convenient. I was visiting University of Maryland, which is a 20 minutes bus ride away from the house. Also, downtown DC is around 30 minutes from the house. The neighborhood is good and people are nice.
I summary, marlene is a great host and I highly recomend staying at her house if you are visiting the area.
We had an absolutely wonderful experience staying with Merlene! She is the best host anyone could wish for: kind, very organized, very responsive, extremely considerate. The house is beautiful and well-equipped. We have never had an airbnb host who provided such extensive information on the area and the city! We loved everything about the house. It was great to sit on the front porch with its comfortable rocking benches, the living room couches were equally comfortable, and bedroom, dining room, and kitchen had everything one could possibly wish for. It was an added bonus to look out on Merlene's beautiful garden, surrounding the entire house. Washer and dryer are very conveniently in the basement (where I could also leave my bicycle). Occasionally we ran the air conditioners, but often the ceiling fans were adequate to keep us comfortable. We also loved the neighborhood. It is quiet, diverse, and the people are very friendly. The Glut grocery store has just about everything you need (it also has a nice atmosphere), and two doors down the Sweet and Natural bakery provides healthy and tasty take-out options. There are other food and shopping options nearby. It is true, Mt Rainier is not on a metro line, but getting to the Rhode Island Red Line station only takes 10-15 minutes on the bus. There are several buses going there, so if you look at the schedules, you do not have to wait very long. You can also go the opposite direction (fewer buses), toward Hyattsville (with some nice dining and shopping options), or further toward College Park. We were very sad to leave. In our four months staying with Merlene, the place had truly become like home to us. If we ever have occasion to return to the D.C. area, we'll definitely check first if Merlene's place is available!
Merlene was very welcoming and even had snacks waiting for us upon our arrival. Her place was conveniently located within 2 miles of Echo Stage. If I attend another show there, I'll be sure to book her place.
Merlene was a wonderful hostess! She thought of every thing. She had treats which were such a gift for 4 hungry travelers. We had our dogs and she had covered her couches which relieved our stress.
Her wonderful oasis was an amazing experience for our family. We highly recommend her home and will definitely consider staying there for future visits.
I'm a professional writer of funding proposals and reports for nonprofit organizations as well as the author of one novel, The Vampire and The Vegan. I've lived in the Washington, DC area since 1983, but I'm originally from New York City and very comfortable interacting with people from all backgrounds. As an animal lover, I'm open to hosting guests with small pets.
I'm looking forward to providing good-natured visitors with welcoming yet private and affordable accommodations. I'm particularly interested in sharing information about the great vegan offerings convenient to my home with fellow vegetarians and omnivores alike. Don’t be surprised to find a few goodies waiting for you in the kitchen!