About This Listing
A Quiet-Stay Guest House, Hideaway, and Retreat House
Turn onto the wooded driveway, cross Briar Creek, approach the hill to Evensong Dell, and you feel as if you are not just entering another place, but another time, where life unfolds at a more human pace.
Tucked away into the side of the mountain, on a lawn surrounded by woods, tranquil ponds, and bridges, Evensong Dell invites you to pause, to breathe deeply, and to tarry in its peaceful, restorative sanctuary.
• A quiet, clean, country-stay while visiting in the Oneonta and Cooperstown areas, the museums, Hall of Fame, Dreams Park, Hartwick College and the State University of New York at Oneonta
• Artistic inspiration, writing, outdoor painting and drawing, playing music
• Personal rest and rejuvenation, reading, a place of refuge from the stress of daily life
• Family get-away times, playing, relaxing, and bonding
• A grandparent/grandchildren weekend
• Nature observation, exploration, and woods-walking
• Private personal retreats, times of transition, setting goals and priorities, reflection, contemplation, physical, emotional, and spiritual rest, refreshment and renewal
• Quiet get-away days or retreats for individuals, couples, or small groups of staff, family, or friends
• Spiritual Retreats: private, couples, or small groups of staff, family, or friends
• Remembering what the stars look like, listening to the frogs on a dark, misty evening, picking wildflowers, smelling the fragrance of fallen leaves on a wooded pathway, sledding, getting snowed in, listening to the flow of spring water gushing down the side of the mountain, rereading your favorite children’s books, sleeping in, and being still enough to experience beauty.
About the House:
• Free WiFi, Free long distance (in the USA) on the house phone
• Full kitchen: refrigerator, oven, microwave, cooking equipment, dishes, coffee pot, toaster (no dishwasher.) Table and chairs for six. Access to screened-in porch.
• Living Room: DVD, VCR and CD players (for you to bring your own discs.) There is no television reception or cable at EvenSong Dell. Coffee table and seating for six.
• Screened-in porch: (16’ X 8’) outdoor furniture and picnic table with benches.
• Downstairs Bedroom: full bed, dresser, table, bookshelves, chair, and closet.
• Upstairs Bedroom: two twin beds, two dressers, closet, chair.
• Upstairs Master Bedroom: queen bed, dresser, desk and chair, closet, bookshelf, two rocking chairs.
• Full Bathroom Upstairs: Tub/shower, closet with towels.
• Small room upstairs with Pack and Play available.
• Sheets, blankets, pillows, towels provided.
• Evensong Dell is a smoke-free, pet-free house.
About the property:
• Fields and wooded hills
• Large back yard with two small ponds
• Two miles of marked walking trails
• Creek with small park
• Large spring-fed pond with dock
• Playground with swings, slide, and climbing gym
Evensong Dell is adjacent to Northfield Farm, LLC, home of Athelas Therapeutic Riding and the State University of New York at Oneonta Equestrian Team. Private indoor lessons, available by appointment, are offered for both able-bodied and special-needs children and adults.
SPIRITUAL RETREATS: Evensong Dell is a Christian Retreat House that welcomes seekers of all faiths and traditions.
Evensong Dell is available as a place of Spiritual Retreat for individuals, couples, families, and small groups of staff or friends. If you have an interest in a spiritual retreat, but have questions or would like some guidance, we would be happy to talk with you. Spiritual Direction is available by appointment with your host, a Spiritual Director certified by the Kairos School of Spiritual Formation.
These rates are for lodging. Lodging rates include full use of house and grounds, including kitchen The guest house is completely private; it is not shared with any other guests.
Check in 3:00 pm / check out 11:00 am. Please make prior arrangements for alternative arrival or departure times.
Week Day Rate (per night)
$156.00 1-2 guests
Weekend and Holiday Rate (per night)
$167.00 1-2 guests
Weekly Rate (7 nights)
$994.00 1-2 guests
Extra People: $34.00 /night after 2 guests.
All rates include State and County Taxes.
Maximum 2 guests per room except children, newborn to age 3. Pack and play available.
Other Things to Note
EvenSong Dell is truly a country retreat house. Cell phones can receive text messages at EvenSong Dell, but there is no cell phone reception for calls. There is a land line phone which is available for guest use. Calls are free within the contiguous US. WiFi is provided.
No smoking, no pets, no hunting, no parties, no fires (except in fire ring at large pond.) Maximum occupancy 6.
beautiful 2 story wing of a custom-built home. Very quiet location located off a valley road in upstate NY. Woke to bird song and went to sleep to frogs chirping. Well equipped spacious kitchen with attached screen porch. 3 spacious bedrooms with good beds. Enjoyed the surroundings so much we never left to tour Cooperstown. Very welcoming hosts. An unexpected treat was the high quality original paintings and print found throughout.
A special place to stay and a real value. Plan to return when travels take us this way again.
EvenSong Dell is a magical spot for a quiet retreat, or a comfortable lodge for a family get together. The house is lovely and the kitchen is well equipped, but the trails and ponds were completely enchanting in early May of 2015. Abundant wild spring flowers greater us at almost every turn, and a huge patch of ramps (wild garlic) is located directly on the path up on the hill behind the house. The spring peepers provided a symphony for our first night! Two days were not enough, we are going back again.
Jane was a fantastic host and made our stay comfortable and homey. She recommended a great restaurant in town that we enjoyed. Both the house and property are breathtaking. Jane - thank you for your hospitality and helping us enjoy a weekend "away from it all!"
Jane and Stephen are wonderful hosts and Evensong Dell is a truly special place. The home is well appointed, the grounds are magnificently beautiful and the area is just lovely.
I will be visiting Evensong Dell again very soon as it is a wonderful escape from the city and provides a beautiful return to nature, peace and tranquility.
My experience at EvenSong Dell was really positive. Jane was extremely welcoming and hospitable upon our arrival. Although our time at the house was short, we enjoyed being in a serene locale, and even went on a quick hike on the premises in the morning.
This was our first AirBnB experience, and Jane was a truly wonderful host. EvenSong Dell had everything we needed, and we are glad we found this place on our travels to upstate New York.
The property was beautiful, especially at the peak of Autumn when we visited. Had we not been upstate for a wedding we would've spent more time exploring the vast property and the numerous mapped-out hiking trails and scenic sitting spots throughout. There is also a beautiful pond with dock and a decent playground with swings, etc for kids. Jane was super kind and showed us around her guest house which is attached to their main home. The guest house itself is quaint, a bit dated, but comfortable. Jane explained they use sulfur water, which is completely safe to drink and use, but it's smelly. She was sure to provide us with gallons of Spring water to use and drink, which we opted for drinking. Note that there's no cell phone reception, which is fine as it's time to unplug! BUT, there is WiFi provided, so you're not completely cut off!
Overall we were very pleased with our experience and would come again. Thanks Jane! :)
Jane and Steven met Mark and I as we drove in! They seemed happy to have us there. EvenSong Dell is beautiful and just as described. we loved the place! There are many trails on the property for which Jane has maps. her eating recommendations were all top notch! We weren't around very much so we didn't get much chance to visit unfortunately. Jane took extra care to make sure there was plenty of good drinking water for those of us that weren't to keen on sulfer water. I would love to stay at EvenSong Dell again!
About the Host, Jane
...a lover of God, people, and the woods
...eager to learn, my books are my friends
...a wife, mother, and grandmother
...a Spiritual Director
...my day-to-day-living-philosophy lands somewhere between "You're never fully dressed without a smile," and "Shower the people you love with love."