About this listing
A Quiet-Stay Guest House, Hideaway, and Retreat House
Turn onto the wooded driveway, cross Briar Creek, approach the hill to Evensong Dell, and you feel as if you are not just entering another place, but another time, where life unfolds at a more human pace.
Tucked away into the side of the mountain, on a lawn surrounded by woods, tranquil ponds, and bridges, Evensong Dell invites you to pause, to breathe deeply, and to tarry in its peaceful, restorative sanctuary.
• A quiet, clean, country-stay while visiting in the Oneonta and Cooperstown areas, the museums, Hall of Fame, Dreams Park, Hartwick College and the State University of New York at Oneonta
• Artistic inspiration, writing, outdoor painting and drawing, playing music
• Personal rest and rejuvenation, reading, a place of refuge from the stress of daily life
• Family get-away times, playing, relaxing, and bonding
• A grandparent/grandchildren weekend
• Nature observation, exploration, and woods-walking
• Private personal retreats, times of transition, setting goals and priorities, reflection, contemplation, physical, emotional, and spiritual rest, refreshment and renewal
• Quiet get-away days or retreats for individuals, couples, or small groups of staff, family, or friends
• Spiritual Retreats: private, couples, or small groups of staff, family, or friends
• Remembering what the stars look like, listening to the frogs on a dark, misty evening, picking wildflowers, smelling the fragrance of fallen leaves on a wooded pathway, sledding, getting snowed in, listening to the flow of spring water gushing down the side of the mountain, rereading your favorite children’s books, sleeping in, and being still enough to experience beauty.
About the House:
• Free WiFi, Free long distance (in the USA) on the house phone
• Full kitchen: refrigerator, oven, microwave, cooking equipment, dishes, coffee pot, toaster (no dishwasher.) Table and chairs for six. Access to screened-in porch.
• Living Room: DVD, VCR and CD players (for you to bring your own discs.) There is no television reception or cable at EvenSong Dell. Coffee table and seating for six.
• Screened-in porch: (16’ X 8’) outdoor furniture and picnic table with benches.
• Downstairs Bedroom: full bed, dresser, table, bookshelves, chair, and closet.
• Upstairs Bedroom: two twin beds, two dressers, closet, chair.
• Upstairs Master Bedroom: queen bed, dresser, desk and chair, closet, bookshelf, two rocking chairs.
• Full Bathroom Upstairs: Tub/shower, closet with towels.
• Small room upstairs with Pack and Play available.
• Sheets, blankets, pillows, towels provided.
• Evensong Dell is a smoke-free, pet-free house.
About the property:
• Fields and wooded hills
• Large back yard with two small ponds
• Two miles of marked walking trails
• Creek with small park
• Large spring-fed pond with dock
• Playground with swings, slide, and climbing gym
Evensong Dell is adjacent to Northfield Farm, LLC, home of Athelas Therapeutic Riding and the State University of New York at Oneonta Equestrian Team. Private indoor lessons, available by appointment, are offered for both able-bodied and special-needs children and adults.
SPIRITUAL RETREATS: Evensong Dell is a Christian Retreat House that welcomes seekers of all faiths and traditions.
Evensong Dell is available as a place of Spiritual Retreat for individuals, couples, families, and small groups of staff or friends. If you have an interest in a spiritual retreat, but have questions or would like some guidance, we would be happy to talk with you. Spiritual Direction is available by appointment with your host, a Spiritual Director certified by the Kairos School of Spiritual Formation.
These rates are for lodging. Lodging rates include full use of house and grounds, including kitchen The guest house is completely private; it is not shared with any other guests.
Check in 3:00 pm / check out 11:00 am. Please make prior arrangements for alternative arrival or departure times.
Week Day Rate (per night)
$156.00 1-2 guests
Weekend and Holiday Rate (per night)
$167.00 1-2 guests
Weekly Rate (7 nights)
$994.00 1-2 guests
Extra People: $34.00 /night after 2 guests.
All rates include State and County Taxes.
Maximum 2 guests per room except children, newborn to age 3. Pack and play available.
Other Things to Note
EvenSong Dell is truly a country retreat house. Cell phones can usually receive text messages at EvenSong Dell, but there is no cell phone reception for calls. There is a land line phone which is available for guest use. Calls are free within the contiguous US. WiFi is provided.
No smoking, no pets, no hunting, no parties, no fires (except in fire ring at large pond.) Maximum occupancy 6.
I had a strong feeling that this would be an excellent stay, because Jane was such an excellent communicator from beginning to end. Jane was the first face that greeted us, upon arrival and made us feel very welcome. She walked us through all of the minor logistics, including important phone numbers. She even graciously gave us eggs from her granddaughters chickens, which we ate every morning. I mentioned to Jane that this trip allowed me the best sleep I have had in a very long time, and the peaceful landscape was an added bonus throughout our stay. Jane and he husband even came out and personally sent us off! We cannot thank them enough and we are hoping to visit them again in the very near future :)
EvenSong Dell is a truly magical spot for a getaway. The house is spacious, clean and comfortable, and the beds are super cozy.
But what sets this spot apart is its lovely setting and the kindness of your hosts. Jane was wonderfully accommodating, reaching out to us before our arrival to arrange such delightful creature comforts as setting up the fire pit for our cookout and letting us know the weather report. She met us upon arrival and made us feel most welcome, but then was sensitive enough to give us our space to enjoy their beautiful pond, marked walking trails and the exquisite serenity that abounds here. Cannot recommend this spot highly enough!
EvenSong Dell was a marvelous place and a marvelous experience. Jane coordinated with us on directions and miscellany, met us upon our arrival, bade us farewell upon our departure, and was wonderfully pleasant throughout. The house and surroundings were precisely as described (and as beautifully pictured) in the listing. We enjoyed seeing the ponds and trails, even though there had been a deluge the night of our arrival. The Dell is secluded, quiet, and private, and we thoroughly enjoyed our too-short stay.
Jane is an incredibly helpful host, whether by email, phone, or texting, which was helpful since the farm, while not too remote from larger towns, is on a country road not always clear to GPS. Jane is very warm and welcoming in person. She was able to meet us at the property and show us around, but also 'gave us our space' once we settled in. She was available (her house is right next door) if we needed anything, but we did not see her again until when we said goodbye.
The listing doesn't do justice to the lovely historic farmhouse we stayed in (and had to ourselves): comfortable, clean, homey but luxurious. The farmhouse sits on a large piece of land with hiking trails (created by the hosts) that take you through forests and meadows. The hosts have made trail markings and provide a color coded map! Beautiful views, hills, farms, horses, stream, pond, and more! This was a much needed, serene family getaway, really a vacation resort experience.
Evensong Dell has stolen our hearts. What a magical place to spend time with my family! Even though the rain never stopped during our stay, we still went on adventures & explored, found beauty not only in the nature but found it watching our small daughters enjoy new nature experiences. Frogs jumping in ponds & resting on lily pads, horses playing & galloping through a field, little surprises around so many turns. The home was so well equipped & comfortable. Jane's sweet spirit & old soul lends to the most hospitable stay you can imagine! She was so accommodating to our little girls & my oldest asked on the drive home when we can go back & visit Mrs. Jane. We plan to make this an annual place to bring our family!
My family of five stayed overnight at Dell Evensong on our way to drop one of my children off to a music camp in Maine. We were looking for a space large enough, and one that would give us a bit of respite from a long drive. This location did just that. It was very pleasant, very spacious with all the accoutrements of home. Bottled water for those of us used to city water was in abundance, and much appreciated. In addition, because we arrived later than we had planned we hadn't eaten, our hosts (Jane and her husband) suggested a location where we could get takeout, and they picked it up for us - certainly above and beyond. It was our first airbnb experience, and it was a positive one that encouraged me to seek out an airbnb location during future travels.
Jane was incredibly hospitable! Her place has everything you could possibly think of...flashlights, first aid kid, plenty of water, large selection of movies, and best of all...quiet! The pictures of her grounds do not do it justice. Incredibly serene! We loved every minute of our stay, and hope to be back again soon.
About the Host, Jane
...a lover of God, people, and the woods
...eager to learn, my books are my friends
...a wife, mother, and grandmother
...a Spiritual Director
...my day-to-day-living-philosophy lands somewhere between "You're never fully dressed without a smile," and "Shower the people you love with love."