About this listing
Unparalleled Mohonk Mountain and wooded view, spacious studio with private entrance and patio with hammock, one-mile stroll to New Paltz Village on country road or rail trail. Full bath and full kitchen stocked with essentials. Sleeps 3.
An excellent location in New Paltz for this spacious, quiet, and private studio apt with full kitchen and bath within a private home. One full-sized bed with memory foam mattress and and one twin bed with organic latex mattress.
From the house it's an easy and pleasurable one mile stroll to downtown New Paltz on country road or rail trail.
If you're traveling from NYC without a car, you can take the Adirondack Trailways bus to New Paltz from the Port Authority Terminal. Once in New Paltz you can either walk (about 1 mile) or take taxi ($5) to the house.
The Water Street Market and the rest of New Paltz cafes, shops, and organic vegetable farms are a 20-30 minute walk and even faster bike ride from this spacious and peaceful apartment on a most desirable country road frequented by walkers, joggers, and cyclists.
By car, you will be 5-15 minutes from the Mohonk Preserve, Mohonk Mountain House, and Minnewaska State Park.
But leave the car behind as you bicycle (bikes available for your use) the Walkill Valley Rail Trail north to the quaint village of Rosendale, south to the bucolic village of Gardiner, or head west to the Mohonk Preserve bicycle and walking paths.
Return home to rest on the patio with its inspirational wooded mountain views and perpetually singing wild birds.
This is a perfect place to unwind, relax and use as a base for all your Hudson Valley adventures!
The main part of the house and the entire home are also offered as separate listings for larger parties ... look for them here on Airbnb for rates and reviews!
Minimum stay - two nights; occasionally a one-night stay can be accommodated, please inquire.
- Mohonk Preserve passes (value of $12/person/day)
- Small stereo to connect to computer, MP3 player, iPhone
- Full kitchen stocked with essentials
- Blankets, towels, linens, soap, shampoo plus extra linens if needed
Interaction with Guests
If possible, will greet you at arrival and spend a few short minutes sharing info to help make your stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. Very happy to answer any questions you might have about the area, hiking trails, things to do, places to eat, etc. Beyond that, you have total privacy, and I am available by phone, text, or email should you have any questions.
This is a great neighborhood with old shade trees, a community rail trail steps away, located in a country and peaceful atmosphere yet extremely convenient to all that New Paltz and its surrounding area has to offer, such as:
- the Shawangunk Ridge with the absolute most spectacular rock climbing, scrambling, cross-country skiing, snow-shoeing, biking and hiking east of the Rocky Mountains, with water holes, falls, streams, cascades, and spring fed glacial "sky" lakes --- the reason why I can't move away : ) --- you can access all this within a 5 to 20 minute drive!
- access to night life after an exhilarating day on the ski slopes of Hunter Mt. and Belleayre, each about 1 hour away
- being a college town in an outdoor enthusiast's paradise inspires an interesting mix of restaurants, cafes, bookstores, local shops, antique dealers, festivals, culture, and history, against an iconic mountain backdrop
- a sky diving ranch 5 minutes away
- historic Huguenot Street boasting the oldest stone houses in the country
- a nature sanctuary (adjacent to Huguenot Street) replete with wildlife and a huge variety of wild birds amidst serene wetland pathways
- a university with theaters, tennis courts, running tracks, museum and planetarium
- Mohonk Mountain House (Victorian-era castle) where you can dine and/or spa and/or ice skate in rustic elegance and luxury that is kind of indescribable
- the Walkway Over the Hudson (about a 15 minute drive) where you can experience from high above the water, the majesty of the mid-Hudson River
- kayaking up and down the Wallkill River (the launch is 1 minute away just down the street) and you are almost certain to spot great blue herons and other majestic wildlife
- visiting several organic farms, farmer markets, vineyards, distilleries and breweries
- improving your well-being with numerous massage and yoga studios, pilates, acupuncture, chiropractor-care, and day spas
- indulging in apple, peach, strawberry, blackberry, blueberry and pumpkin picking
You can walk, bike, and hire local taxis for $5 rides.
Other Things to Note
As some of the photos indicate, and as another section in this listing mentions, there are two kitties on the premises. They are indoor/outdoor and spend much of their time outside.
They have their own portals to enter and exit and the main part of the home (there's no litter box!) however, they cannot access this apartment without someone opening the door for them. In general, they spend a very minimal amount of time in this space and folks with medium to mild cat allergies have stayed here with no problems!
Summertime: The property is well-shaded and this studio is often quite naturally cool in the summer!
There's a two-night minimum, however sometimes a one-night stay can be accommodated; feel free to inquire.
Smoke-free, shoe-free ( plenty of slippers available and there's an ashtray outside : )