100 miles from GW Bridge, Amber Lake Cottage is a midcentury modern getaway. Enjoy swimming, fishing, and rowing in the lake or lounging and grilling on the large deck. Inside there's a large chef's kitchen, fireplace, and exceptional surround sound.
NOTE: Please reach out to us via the messaging option to confirm your dates and cost before booking. Thanks so much!
Bookings November- March are 2 night minimum, April and October is a 3 night minimum, and May-September are a 4 night minimum calendar permitting. If there are blocks of time open less than 4 nights then those are available.
Thank you for checking out Amber Lake Cottage, a sunny and a lake front house in the Catskills. The house is about 100 miles from the George Washington Bridge, so it's great for a city escape. There are two bedrooms (sleeps 4 people total) and one bathroom featuring a rain showerhead with great pressure. The entire house has been imaculately restored/renovated with a mid century danish modern decor featuring pieces by Arne Voder, Finn Juhl, Warren Platner, Arne Jacobson, Ilum Wikkelso, and more. The home has been profiled in the NY Times and a number of design magazines. If you love to cook, there is a very spacious chef's ktichen with dishwasher, washer/dryer, and a large island with 4 barstools. A large dining table and a cozy wood burning fireplace to snuggle around while watching an HD movie with awesome surround sound. Outside you have Amber Lake to swim, boat, or relax in from our private dock. There is also a large outdoor grill, rowboat, and fire pit on site for your use. High speed WiFi is included and there is also a 42" TV and also an Apple TV that has a Netflix and Hulu but there is no cable/live TV service.
Nearby activities include skiing (about 40 minute drive), fly fishing, regular fishing (right from our dock), hiking, cross country skiing (about an hour drive), and the general Catskills beauty.
The house sits on Amber Lake which is spring fed. This is a private, non motorized lake. You can swim, fish, row, and, if the conditions permit, ice skate and ice fish on the lake. While there is no public access to the lake, there are other homes on the lake. Please note that there are no life guards on the lake.
If you have any questions, please be in touch.
PETS ARE ONLY ON APPROVAL. Please let us know if you would like to bring your pet. Sorry, no cats - one of us is allergic.
Please note that there is no air conditioning in the house. We have ceiling fans in the bed rooms and a couple of portable Vornado fans for the living area.
- Gorgeous lake front property
- Danish Modern furniture
- Large dining table
- Wood-burning fire place
- private dock (non motorized lake - don't bring your jet ski!)
- fire pit in the backyard
- three huge decks with large gas grill
- Rainfall shower head in bathroom
- linens & towels provided
- High speed WiFi
- TV with Apple TV, Netflix, and Hulu
- 5.1 surround sound system with Airplay for your iPhone
- Fully equipped chefs kitchen
Guests will have full access to the house, property, and lake. Please note that while there is no public access to this lake, there are other homes on the lake. If you are looking for complete seclusion our home may not be the best fit. Generally it is very quite, but weekends (especially holiday weekends) tend to bring the neighbors out to the lake. Our dock is is private.
Interaction with Guests
We try to be available to you, but stay out of your hair as much as possible so you can have a quite, comfortable stay. We are not at the house when you are but we are available by phone, email, and text if you need us for any reason.
The area is quite and tranquil. Downtown Livingston Manor is a charming with lots of little shops and such to check out.
There isn't any public transport in the area, so you will need a car to get around.
Other Things to Note
Things to keep in mind:
- The washer and dryer are currently out of order, please do not use them or the floor will flood with water
- The house is small, so no more than 4 adults.
- There is no air-conditioning at the house. There are ceiling fans in the bedrooms and two floor fans are provided for the living area.
- Cell signal isn't great, Verizon and AT&T work best. Calls drop less if you talk outside. There is no land line but there is high speed internet so you can call using (website hidden).
- No parties.
- No photo shoots, filming, or commercial activity without prior consent and approval.
- No smoking on the property.
- Four person maximum occupancy.
- Please take all perishable food items with you when you leave or throw them in the garbage.
- Please do not leave crumbs or food around at night or when you leave the house.
- Please hang any wet and used towels so they dry and do not mold.
- Use of the lake is at your own risk, there are no lifeguards. Use a life jacket.
- Pets on approval only, additional $25 pet cleaning fee is required.
- Be mindful of furniture, art, and objects.
- Let us know if something breaks or is not working.
- Make sure the fire is out in the fire place when going to sleep or leaving the house.
- Open and close the flute in the fire place.
- Use the fire extinguisher if necessary (it's in the laundry area).
- If you are going out for a boat ride, you and other passengers must wear a life vest.
- Max of 3 adults in the rowboat and 2 adults in the pedal boat. Must wear life jackets (generally found in the master bedroom closet or with the boats).
The Lake House was super comfortable. Babak had really thorough details about how to get into the house and all the things we'd need over the weekend. I would definitely come back - especially in the summer so we can make use of the patio and the boat.
Such a lovely winter getaway. The house is simple and beautiful (as pictured), and very comfortable. Great kitchen to cook in. Amazing and eclectic collection of books; we really enjoyed the library.
Read, write, hike, cook, repeat! Thanks for a wonderful stay.
My host was great. We were able to easily find the place and the provided instructions and guidelines were concise and accurate. The listing description was accurate. I would say that my experience was better than I had imagined prior to arriving. The neighborhood was quite and enhancing.
My family and I had a wonderful time in the Catskills at Babak's, mark and River's home. The home is very accurately portrayed in the photos, and the list of rules and instructions made staying there quite simple. I would love to come back some time later.
Babak, Mark, and River were amazing hosts. Their home was exactly as described; well equipped with everything you will need to spend a weekend or a month. This was the first time that we brought our daughter (7 months old) to the mountains and we could not ask for anything better. We were all amazed at the picturesque winter view you get from the house with the snow falling and the lake frozen. We sat by the fire and really enjoyed reading some of the great book from their collections. Thank you Babak, Mark, and River for your hospitality, we will definitely be paying more visits in the future.
We're two young couples from NYC that wanted a Thanksgiving weekend getaway. The Amber Lake Cottage was great for it! The space was great and the temperature system was awesome (Nest).
We would have wished for better lighting above dining table and available firewood upon arrival.
Otherwise, we were super happy. Towels and linens were fresh and the place was clean.
Babak and Mark were very responsive when we had questions. For example, they made sure firewood was delivered the next day as soon as they found out that they had run out.
Would love to come back in the summer when the lake is accessible! It was still very pretty in winter though. The whole area felt very serene and close to nature while still being only 5 minutes from the highway.
We had such a wonderful time here! There are so many things I could gush about, but I'll pick what I feel struck me the most. The house is SO much bigger than the photos make it look! The kitchen was a chefs dream! All the furniture is very comfortable, especially the beds and the two red chairs off the kitchen (those were the sleeper hit of our trip as my gf loved to read there in the mornings). We are big music lovers so the amazing surround sound was great to have as we cooked and played cards against humanity. I would highly recommend Babak, Mark, and River's gorgeous home to anyone, and kudos to them for being wonderful hosts!