About this listing
We have a great 4 bedroom, 4000 sq. ft country home on 5 acres with a pool and huge bocce ball court in Sonoma- comfortable, beautiful and rustic-- only 3 miles from the historic Sonoma Square and close to restaurants, wineries and more.
Right in the middle of wine country, but only 50 minutes to San Francisco! Each bedroom is very large and each has its own full bathroom. It's quiet and peaceful with views of the vineyards, olive trees, hills and more. Also great for walks/ runs.
Say hi to the neighboring horses, llamas, and alpacas while out on your morning stroll! Pick peaches, apples and grapes from the property when in season.
The home sleeps 8 extremely comfortably, but can accommodate more (up to 12 max-extra $100/person over 8- but this MUST be approved by the owners).
Bedroom 1 - THE GROSVENOR. King bed and queen sofa sleeper
Bedroom 2- KRUGER. Queen bed and full pullout sofa
Bedroom 3- THE BUCKEYE. Queen bed and twin
Bedroom 4- DENALI. Bunk bed (full bottom/ twin top) + queen sofa sleeper
*there is a 5th bedroom- the only upstairs room that is locked and NOT available for use.
The home is very private with a beautiful 14 person dining table outdoors under an arbor with lights. Outdoor bar, firepit, gas grill, bocce court and seating make for fabulous wine country nights.
Huge kitchen and living room (both with fireplace) with lots of seating make for great gatherings!
Located conveniently close to the Sonoma Square-- about a 5 minute drive west, you will be perfectly situated for strolling the local boutique shops and exploring Sonoma's first class restaurants. We are also approx 7 minutes from the world-renowned Sonoma Mission Inn -- which has an amazing day spa if you feel like being pampered after a few days visiting the wineries. We are happy to recommend our favorite wineries -- there are some of the best in CA right in the area.
Please note, we have a 3 night minimum on most weekends in the summer months. We usually do not rent more than 3 months out- especially if your request is less than 3 nights. If we do rent in summer for only 2 nights, an extra $200/ night will be charged.
We require a rental agreement to be signed prior to the stay.
The house has Internet, flat screen/ cable tv, in-ceiling Sonos surround sound music system in kitchen, living and pool area, and washer/dryer.
We ask that you are considerate of our home and abide by the number of guests you request and is agreed upon. Our home is NOT a venue establishment or a place for you to host or throw a party in. Please inquire elsewhere if that is your intention.
B&B EXPERIENCE: We offer entire home rental or for those open to a more 'hosted' type Sonoma experience- we are happy to rent the rooms more of a traditional b&b type experience. In this situation, each room is available for $225 -$250/ night (or $900-$1000 for all 4 bedrooms and entire house access as opposed to the $1100+/ night normal rental fee for the entire home). We would still be on the premises, though minimally, as we try and ensure that you are able to make yourselves at home. We have often been know to host bbq's or afternoon get togethers poolside! We are a very easy going couple and love hosting guests from around the world in our home. We've met some pretty fabulous folks along the way! The way our home is laid out-- it still allows you a lot of privacy, as our space is a bit 'out of the way'. If we are not there to host you or help with your wine country experience- we are usually out and about enjoying everything Sonoma and wine country has to offer. You still have full access to the house and property- you just have to deal with an occasional conversation with two of us (and our husky)! :)
Interaction with Guests
We enjoy helping our guests with suggestions for their trip to wine country.
Other Things to Note
Keep in mind, there is a small guest house/ 'barn' on the property that may or may not be occupied during your stay. It is private and removed from the main property area. Please do not enter either of the barn properties. We also have 5 sheep on the back side of the property that are very friendly, and will be sure to baaaa at you when you are out in the yard! Please keep in mind that we may have someone on the property occasionally to feed and pen sheep.
Our Sonoma County TOTC Certificate Number is 1310N.
We are a flexible couple and expect common courtesy in our home. At least one Renter must be over 25 years of age. Rental agreement must be signed and security deposit received prior to rental.
1. Smoking is not allowed on the property.
2. People other than those in the Guest party set forth above may not stay overnight in the property. We do not allow any additional guests on the property unless agreed upon with the owners ahead of time. Any other person in the property is the sole responsibility of Guest.
2a. Additional Guests. The intent of the rental is for use by the guests listed in the above agreement. It is not intended to be utilized for a venue for a party, gathering, etc of individuals other than those in the above agreement. Please ensure any expected additional guests are discussed with and agreed to by the owners, prior to confirmation on Airbnb and listed in the above agreement.
3. Please be considerate of the neighborhood and neighbors. Outdoor noise must be controlled after 10pm.
4. The owners are not responsible for any accidents, injuries or illness that occurs while on the premises or its facilities. The Homeowners are not responsible for the loss or theft of personal belongings or valuables of the guest while staying at the property. By accepting this reservation, it is agreed that all guests are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the premises or others whom they invite to use the premise.
5. The guests must keep the property and all furnishings in good order.
6. The guests must only use appliances for their intended uses.
7. PETS are permitted only with prior approval and the Pet Addendum must be completed. Pet deposit is $250.
8. Parking: Parking is limited to 4 vehicle(s), unless agreed upon with prior approval by the owner. Parking on the road is not permitted. Any illegally parked cars are subject to towing; applicable fines/towing fees are the sole responsibility of the vehicle owner.
9. Housekeeping: There is no daily housekeeping service. While linens and bath towels are included in the unit, daily maid service is not included in the rental rate. We do not permit towels or linens to be taken from the house.
10. Pool and diving board: No children under the age of _18__ are permitted in pool or may use the diving board without adult supervision. When using the pool and diving board, remember there are certain risks associated. Use responsibly and at your own risk.
11. Fireplace: The fireplace is a wood pellet fireplace. Only use pellets in the fireplace. Please do not throw any paper, wood, or other combustible materials in the fireplace. The fireplace must be cleaned out after every use. Open the front fireplace door using the handle , and use the dustbuster that can be found in the laundry room to vacuum out ashes. The fireplace must not be left on overnight. For more info on how to use, see household tips.
12. Water and Septic: The property is on a well and septic system. The septic system is very effective; however, it will clog up if improper material is flushed. DO NOT FLUSH anything other than toilet paper. No feminine products should be flushed at any time. If it is found that feminine products have been flushed and clog the septic system, you could be charged the cost to repair and restore any damages to the septic system.
13. Alcohol. We have a large spirits, beer and wine selection in our home. Unfortunately, it against the law for us to be able to share this with you. Therefore, please refrain from consuming any wine, beer or spirits that are placed in the bar and wine racks. You will be responsible for any missing inventory.
14. Lock doors when not on the premises. There are 5 entry ways into the house, however, the keys we have for you only open the door on the back side of the house, closest to the outdoor bar. Please ensure all doors are locked when you leave the premises, and utilize this door for entry/ exit when coming and going.
15. There is a room upstairs that is locked and is not accessible to guests. Please refrain from entering this space.
16. Please refrain from using the the individual heaters / ac units in each room. These are outdated and have been replaced with central heat and a/c.
17. Upon Your departure
•Please be sure to strip all used beds and place all used linens/ sheets in the laundry room.
•Empty trash in each room into a trash bag(s) (extras can be found under the kitchen sink), and place out back of the house in the appropriate trash bin.
•We would ask that you keep recycled items in a separate receptacle (brown grocery paper bags can be found under sink as well) and these items placed in the blue trash bin out back of the house.
We had a great time at Rusti's beautiful home. The house and location are both wonderful, and we would all strongly recommend this property for large groups or families.
Myself and 7 other women recently stayed at Rusti and Martin’s house for our annual pilgrimage to wine country. We’re a bunch of professional women in our 40’s, so we’re all about comfort and a just chilling out. To this end, we picked a great location as the house is in a quite area, away from the main road and very spacious. The house is ideal for large groups as the bedrooms are far from the living area, so you can go to bed early and not hear anyone in the kitchen or living area.
I’d say the pro’s of the house are the space and location for sure. There is a nice outdoor area and some very cute sheep near by.
That said, the house did not present as it does in some of the pictures. This is the owner’s primary residence, so there was quite a bit of their personal clutter (the fridge was full of their food, dirty dishes in the sink/dishwasher, underwear on the floor and dog poop on the lawn). Granted, Martin (the owner) was good about cleaning this up as best he could, but he was also running around the house for an hour after we arrived trying to pack up, so it was a little awkward. Fortunately, he was a really nice guy and made us feel at home.
We also had small issues like running out of toilet paper (not ideal for a group of 8 women), but Rusti was quick to notice and apologize. Martin also gave us a head’s up that there would be ants, but we weren’t prepared for the infestation that prevented us from using the outdoor living area. We were crawling in critters as soon as we sat down. There were also some other type of bug infestation in one of the bedrooms and on the kitchen counters. While I get that these things happen, it made it challenging for us to manage the food situation as there was no space to store most of it in the fridge or cupboards.
Overall the house was fine and we had a great time despite the issues I mentioned. We did have an awkward situation prior to our visit where the owner insisted on coming into the house to pack for a trip before our scheduled departure. I had no issue with this, but some of the gals felt that it would put a big damper on our morning lounge about in our pjs, so we ended up cutting our stay short as a result.
In the future, even though the owners were very nice people, I probably would not rent someone’s primary residence again.
We are so apologetic that Caren and her crew had a less than fabulous experience at our home. We really do try to ensure guests have a great time here, and therefore want to make sure that future guests know that this experience is not typical. We are friendly, easy-going people who just want our guests to experience Sonoma in a beautiful, relaxing and affordable setting.
Unfortunately, prior to the stay- based on a few prior conversations, we had a feeling this would be a 'tough to please' group that maybe wasn't really 'right' for our home. In three years of renting, I've never felt that way, and I think unfortunately- with their expectations and our dropping the ball on some things due to some extenuating circumstances- it wasn't the best experience for either party. I do hope that Caren gives Airbnb or others primary residences another chance, as some of the things she mentions above were absolute mistakes on our end, while others are absolutely things to consider when entering another person's home.
1) Unfortunately, we both travel pretty extensively for work, but have always been able to manage this while occasionally renting our home. Over the last few weeks, our travel schedules ramped up significantly (which was unknown to us when we accepted Caren’s reservation well over 6 months ago), and unfortunately both myself and my husband were not home during the week to properly prep the home. We tried to put some measures in place to ensure it would be good to go, but unfortunately some things fell through and my husband found himself running around much of the day on Friday (after getting in from a cross-country flight the night before) trying to ensure things were ready for their 2pm check in (while I was stuck at work having also traveled that week). Basically, the team that typically cleans the yard, hadn't picked up the dog mess as requested. Martin obviously found this unacceptable, and made sure to pick up the 'messes' prior to leaving the property. Unfortunately, the ladies had to witness some of this as they arrived (not the most welcoming of moments!). But, I will gladly tell others- yes, we have 2 giant dogs, and yes, they poop. We have 5 acres, and most of the poop isn't even in the main yard near the home, but Martin felt it was imperative he clean this up and not leave such a mess for the guests if they did decide to venture into the back.
As for the dishes, this was the same situation- there were still a few dishes in the sink when they arrived after Martin had cleaned some things out of the refrigerator. He wanted to make sure were put away prior to leaving-- so, he spent the time doing this while the ladies were getting settled in on the other side of the home. He unfortunately ended up leaving about :45 minutes after the 2pm check in.
As for the ants, unfortunately- the heat/ drought combo has caused raucous in many homes in Sonoma, and we are not immune to them out in the country. (Again, not something we knew about 6 months ago, or even a few weeks ago!) About a week prior to their arrival, we had some ant issues (nothing extreme)- which seemed to get cleared up through normal ant traps/ spraying. To try and ensure it would not be an issue for our guests stay, we paid to have a pest inspector over to the house the week of their stay. At the time, the ants were no where to be found and our fellow pest remover friend assumed that they were no longer an issue. The pest-man ensured us there was nothing he could do / spray if there weren’t any problems. Martin mentioned this to Caren and her group, and let them know that if there were ANY issues at all, to call us/ let us know immediately (which she didn't) so we could manage the problem if there was one. We had the pest maintenance gentleman on call for this reason exactly. Note, that we use our home and the outdoor space all the time, and never have had any issues that were outside of normal ant issues or that were so excessive that we couldn't enjoy our time there.
The toilet paper thing was a complete miss on our part! We've NEVER missed this one (but sometimes when it rains, it pours!). In the midst of my husband trying to prep the home, show them around, get them checked in, etc (which I normally do...and know the routine), my husband forgot to tell them where we store about a years supply of toilet paper!! Again, this is something we normally have several supplies of in each bathroom, but we were just so rushed trying to get this rental together after being out all week, we screwed up and didn't notice that there was not any 'backstock' in the house, and therefore didn't mention to them where they could find it. A screw up on our part, however, we always request that our guests let us know if there are any issues whatsoever-- and a quick call, text or message on airbnb would have quickly solved this!
And finally, as for the 'insistence' for entry to the home. We were flexible in a specific request Caren had in our rental agreement. We always try to be accommodating to our guests, and try to work with them on special circumstances, etc....as we realize this isn't a hotel, and every situation is different. Some guests want an early check in/ late check out, others want extra guests on the property, etc. I suppose because we have happily given that flexibility to so many of our guests, I didn't realize that requesting flexibility in return would be perceived so negatively. The week of their rental, I had a last minute business trip thrown on me where I needed to fly out Sunday and had to be on the road by 11:45am to make my flight (check out is 12pm). I explained to Caren that this was a last minute situation, not at all normal (I have never requested anything like this from a guest), and if there was any chance they could be flexible in letting me back into the house about an hour early on Sunday for about :30-:40 minutes. We planned on staying with friends in Napa while she and her friends were at ours. To avoid having to pack for the weekend AND a full additional week of business clothes, etc , it would be incredibly helpful if I could gain access to my room. I continued to explain that I could come in very discreetly if that would help – through a door of the house that essentially is removed from the main portion of the home and leads right to our room, therefore avoiding disrupting them if they were still enjoying themselves. The intent was for me to do a quick suitcase flip, gain a few things so I could get on my way. I also mentioned, we’d be happy to have them stay longer if that helped ease the situation and to thank them for being accommodating. Upon request, they were not interested in being considerate of the situation, so I ended up making different plans. It's a shame they left early-- as there was no need to.
We open our home to let people explore Sonoma because we love the town and sharing our beautiful space with others. Every other guest has shared pleasant and wonderful experiences.
I kind of feel like this situation was destined to be a poor one-- for a variety of reasons. But, no matter what we do to try to avoid these types of situations in the future, our home will probably be just that-- our home. There are times when we are really great hosts, and apparently there are times when we don't quite make the 5-star grade. These are the times where I realize being a host can be a real challenge-- it can put a serious damper on our already stretched time, our personal lives, and more. However, we'll always strive to do better, as we realize that often times our guests are on their vacations or weekends away, and just want the best possible experience.
For one less than perfect experience, there are a hundred perfectly positive ones. I love the sharing community of AirBnb, and what it stands for. We are not a hotel, nor an empty vacation rental-- and unfortunately, with our chaotic and busy lifestyle, our home will probably never feel like one. It feels like a home, because that is what it is. We put a considerable amount of time and effort into trying to make it a great space for others, and we want to welcome others as if they were our friends, not strangers. To me, that is what Airbnb is all about.
I sincerely hope Caren and her group have a better experience on their next trip.
Rusti's house is awesome! She was so welcoming and made us feel right at home. We hung at her house for the weekend with a few of our friends and enjoyed her incredible backyard, pool, bocce court, and friendly pups! We will definitely be back to her listing soon!
beautiful home and wonderful hosts! definitely recommend this spacious house and gorgeous setting for a group getaway!
I never met Rusti, only having email exchanges with her but she was always fast in responding and clear with all the information. I met Martin when we got to the house, he was very nice and their two dogs were a big hit. Martin walked us through the home and we had both he and Rusti's numbers to call in case anything came up.
The home is very clean and safe. Set back from the road, it is very quiet and has wonderful views of the valley. The bedrooms are separated from the main living and dining area which is great for those who want to sleep earlier.
The killer space was the outdoors with the pool, bar and large farm table. It's a beautiful setting to spend the day.
I would be happy to stay at then home again and in fact just recommend it to a mutual friend.
Thank you both so much!
We had a great weekend in Sonoma Wine Country with this as our base. My husband and I were traveling with 3 single friends and we wanted a 4 BR/4 BA house and this was a great fit. We didn't use the pool or the bocce ball court, but this seems like it would be a fantastic house to stay at for a few more days in the summer months. This was a great alternative to a more traditional hotel and worked out great for us!
Spent a very nice Labor Day weekend at Rusti and Martin's house. They were extremely welcoming and the house exceeded expectations. There is a nice pool, plenty of lawn furniture, an outdoor bar with Satellite television for all your sporting needs, bocce court, outdoor dinner table and plenty of space. Would definitely recommend staying here for a relaxing time in wine country. Downtown area is only four miles away which is an added bonus.
This host has 18 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews