We were able to build our dream. A unique, modern and comfortable houseboat of 35 x 6 meters. Some call it a yacht-villa. We designed an independent studio in the bow of the boat. So you can share our experience of living the good life on the water.
The nautical boutique style studio is situated in the bow of houseboat "Tasmania". You get your own private space with a private entrance and en-suite bathroom with great shower and toilet. It has underfloor heating and is cosy and warm in the wintertime.
From the bed, you can look at the stars or the full moon. On the private deck you can enjoy a glass of wine and watch the sunset and the beautiful row of old seventeenth century warehouses.
The Tasmania lies at the edge of the city centre in the old woodharbor, a secret hideaway just around the corner of the bustling city centre. Quiet and beautiful, it is situated in the heart of the architectural redeveloped waterfront of Amsterdam.
- 5 minute walk to Jordaan neighborhood, the lovely canal district and the most popular shopping street of 2012: the Haarlemmerstraat.
- 10 minute walk to hip and happening Westerpark
- 20 minute walk (2.3 km) to Central Station (or take bus 48)
- 2 minute walk to Tram stop (line 3 to Museum District: Van Gogh Museum, Rijks Museum, Stedelijk Museum and to the Concertgebouw)
- the boat can be reached from Central Station on foot, by bus, by car or by taxi. (only guests who park their car for free in Amsterdam Noord, need to take the free ferry back to the boat)
Good food in great restaurants is near at all times of the day and night. We are happy to provide you with a list of our favorites.
What you will receive as standard:
- A warm welcome
- Use of 2 bicycles
- Fast WiFi
- Ipod/ipad dock
- Satelite TV and DVD player
- Complimentary drinks and snacks in fridge
- Complimentary coffee and tea
- Basic kitchen with small fridge and microwave/convection oven
- Fresh luxury hotel towels, linen and bed sheets
- Use of Lonely Planet Amsterdam, Time Out Amsterdam, 100% Amsterdam
- Amsterdam map, tourist attraction leaflets
- Free parking in Amsterdam Noord if you arrive by car (we will mail you the details)
Looking forward to hosting you.
- No smoking inside. Please smoke outside.
- Be careful with Dutch wiet. It is very powerful stuff.
- Checkin and checkout times are flexible depending on bookings of guests before and/or after you. If you arrive too early it is always possible to leave your luggage on the Tasmania before you head into town. If you have a late flight you can store the luggage until you leave.
- Lock the bikes at all times. Lots of them get stolen in Amsterdam.
- In the summer time you can use the deck chairs or the fatboy to sit outside. If you leave to go into town put them inside. The wind can blow them overboard.
- Don't wear stilettos inside. They will ruin the bamboo floor.
- Please make use of the popular Amsterdam guides available but leave them for other guests to enjoy as well.
- Aboard the ship you may encounter a mellow ginger cat called Hector. He is not allowed to go into the studio.
We had a fantastic stay on Sonja's houseboat. Your parents were so welcoming and the studio was so beautiful with the most comfy bed...it was hard to leave. Already recommended the place to family and friends, thanks Sonja for a great stay in Amsterdam.
Lors de notre séjour nous avons apprécié la gentillesse de nos hôtes et les petites attentions mises à disposition, comme le petit déjeuner, les produits frais dans le réfrigérateur et les produits cosmétiques dans le coin salle de bain. L'hébergement fut accessible rapidement depuis la gare. Un bon moment en amoureux qui sort de l'ordinaire. Nous retenterons l'aventure aux beaux jours. Max et Virg
Fantastic accomodation for a weekend break! The hosts were lovely and made us feel at home. They recommended places to eat and had provided lots of tasty food and drink on the breakfast bar so we were sorted for breakfast! The boat was stunning, it was a gorgeous double room with breakfast bar and private bathroom so it was all self contained. Absolutely stunning exterior and interior- great location, safe and easy walk in and out of the city centre. Will definately recommend!
Accurate description, friendly and welcoming host, quiet and relaxed location but not too far to city centre (walking distance) and beautiful accommodation. Little extras like having some food in and fridge stocked made it feel really special.
The Tasmania is the perfect accommodation if you are looking for somewhere unique and special with a great location, and all the amenities you could need.
Sonja was great with responding to my emails promptly, and very friendly, even when I kept losing the directions email!
She met us on the boat and showed us around, and was very helpful in providing suggestions of where to go, and great places to eat.
The Tasmania is a stunning boat, and photos do not give it justice. It is far more impressive in person, and the decor is beautiful and modern, whilst still being very cosy and homely. They obviously put a lot of work to make house boat that is truly exceptional and aesthetically pleasing, and I would recommend a visit on seeing the architecture of it alone.
Inside you are in your own section of the boat, and can come and go as you please. The room itself is fully contained with comfortable double bed, kitchenette, small table with chairs, bathroom with big 'rainfall' style shower.
It is really lovely inside with all the amenities needed. Sonja was kind enough to leave a stocked fridge so we had enough food for two breakfasts, and snacks, as well as sparkling wine, beers, juice and waters. As keen coffee fiend, I was very happy to find a Nespresso machine for my regular caffeine fix!
The location is a 2 minute walk to the famous Haarlemmerstraat with it's wonderful boutique shops, and eateries, and about 20 minutes walk from the Centraal train station. It is a great location as it allows you to walk to the best of Amsterdam including the museum area, and the 9 streets, but is out of the hustle and bustle, so it is lovely and quiet. There are also bikes to borrow, but we just walked.
It is a picturesque view from the boat, and lovely to wake up on the water surround by boats.
It even comes with a lovely big ginger cat called Hector!
I could not recommend the Tasmania enough as a perfect accommodation option if you are looking for somewhere unique, convenient and luxurious. We cannot wait to return!
Our week end in the Tazmania boat was great. Sonja was really welcoming and prepared a lot of things for us to feel like at home.
I recommend this experience!
Sonja is nice and kind, she gives us many informations, the location was very clean and tidy. The boat is near several shopping opportunities and near the center of Amsterdam. I will recommend Sonja and her location to all guest who search a very special location in Amsterdam :)
Many guests have asked: "What was this boat before you reconverted it?" The answer is simple: it didn't exist. It was custom build. In October 2011 the "Tasmania" arrived in Amsterdam. Our dream came true and we would love to share that dream with you.
We are hard working film and television professionals. Before building this boat we used to travel a lot. Now every day feels like a holiday. When we are at home we'll be happy to welcome you and tell you everything you want to know about Amsterdam and the boat. But most of the time we're out working. It will make your stay more private. We hope the studio apartment appeals to people who like to travel independent, just like us.
Favorite travel destination: Namibia
Favorite movies: De Rouille et d'Os, Heat, Das Weisse Band
Favorite Filmfestival: International Documentary Festival Amsterdam (IDFA)
Favorite Music Festivals: North Sea Jazz Festival, Amsterdam Dance Event
Favorite books: Story of a Life by Paustovsky, Innumeracy by Paulos
Favorite food: Mediterranean