We were able to build our dream. A unique, modern and comfortable houseboat of 35 x 6 meters. Some call it a yacht-villa. We designed an independent studio in the bow of the boat. So you can share our experience of living the good life on the water.
The nautical boutique style studio is situated in the bow of houseboat "Tasmania". You get your own private space with a private entrance and en-suite bathroom with great shower and toilet. It has underfloor heating and is cosy and warm in the wintertime.
From the bed, you can look at the stars or the full moon. On the private deck you can enjoy a glass of wine and watch the sunset and the beautiful row of old seventeenth century warehouses.
The Tasmania lies at the edge of the city centre in the old woodharbor, a secret hideaway just around the corner of the bustling city centre. Quiet and beautiful, it is situated in the heart of the architectural redeveloped waterfront of Amsterdam.
- 5 minute walk to Jordaan neighborhood, the lovely canal district and the most popular shopping street of 2012: the Haarlemmerstraat.
- 10 minute walk to hip and happening Westerpark
- 20 minute walk (2.3 km) to Central Station (or take bus 48)
- 2 minute walk to Tram stop (line 3 to Museum District: Van Gogh Museum, Rijks Museum, Stedelijk Museum and to the Concertgebouw)
- the boat can be reached from Central Station on foot, by bus, by car or by taxi. (only guests who park their car for free in Amsterdam Noord, need to take the free ferry back to the boat)
Good food in great restaurants is near at all times of the day and night. We are happy to provide you with a list of our favorites.
What you will receive as standard:
- A warm welcome
- Use of 2 bicycles
- Fast WiFi
- Ipod/ipad dock
- Satelite TV and DVD player
- Complimentary drinks and snacks in fridge
- Complimentary coffee and tea
- Basic kitchen with small fridge and microwave/convection oven
- Fresh luxury hotel towels, linen and bed sheets
- Use of Lonely Planet Amsterdam, Time Out Amsterdam, 100% Amsterdam
- Amsterdam map, tourist attraction leaflets
- Free parking in Amsterdam Noord if you arrive by car (we will mail you the details)
Looking forward to hosting you.
- No smoking inside. Please smoke outside.
- Be careful with Dutch wiet. It is very powerful stuff.
- Checkin and checkout times are flexible depending on bookings of guests before and/or after you. If you arrive too early it is always possible to leave your luggage on the Tasmania before you head into town. If you have a late flight you can store the luggage until you leave.
- Lock the bikes at all times. Lots of them get stolen in Amsterdam.
- In the summer time you can use the deck chairs or the fatboy to sit outside. If you leave to go into town put them inside. The wind can blow them overboard.
- Don't wear stilettos inside. They will ruin the bamboo floor.
- Please make use of the popular Amsterdam guides available but leave them for other guests to enjoy as well.
- Aboard the ship you may encounter a mellow ginger cat called Hector. He is not allowed to go into the studio.
My wife and I shared a brilliant 4 days onboard the Tasmania. Sonja and her husband were wonderful hosts with breads, snacks and some bubbly all laid on on our arrival. The room is immaculately clean and a joy to be in. I strongly recommend any future guests make use of their two bikes - a great way to see Amsterdam. My thanks again to Sonja for her warm hospitality. You're welcome to sail to Ireland anytime!
Ein herzliches Dankeschön an Sonja und Michael. Wir hatten ein wundervolles Wochenende in Amsterdam und haben den Aufenthalt auf der bezaubernden Tasmania sehr genossen. Ein Hausboot mit wirklich ganz besonderem Charme. Wir wurden herzlich empfangen und haben uns sehr über den liebevoll befüllten Kühlschrank gefreut. Unsere Erwartungen wurden völlig übertroffen und wir würden jeder Zeit gern wieder kommen.
Fantastic weekend in Amsterdam!
The boat is cozy and very special, the hosts very welcoming (details in the fridge were really appreciated) and the location perfect.
We really enjoyed taking the provided bikes for long strolls around the fantastic city.
Overall a big thumb up for the complete package.
(Amsterdam vom 20.2. bis 22.2.15) Meine Frau und ich haben uns sehr wohl gefühlt. Sonja war zwar im Urlaub, hat aber vorher angekündigt, dass sich Ihre Eltern um uns kümmern. Die Begrüßung bei Regen war warmherzig, im Zimmer war es mollig vorgwärmt und der Kühlschrank mit leckeren Sachen gefüllt. Bei Fragen haben sie uns immer sofort geholfen. Insgesamt ein tolles Wochenende, dafür dass das Wetter so besch... war kann keiner was. Immer wieder gerne!!! Torsten und Silke aus Enger
We had a fantastic stay on Sonja's houseboat. Your parents were so welcoming and the studio was so beautiful with the most comfy bed...it was hard to leave. Already recommended the place to family and friends, thanks Sonja for a great stay in Amsterdam.
Lors de notre séjour nous avons apprécié la gentillesse de nos hôtes et les petites attentions mises à disposition, comme le petit déjeuner, les produits frais dans le réfrigérateur et les produits cosmétiques dans le coin salle de bain. L'hébergement fut accessible rapidement depuis la gare. Un bon moment en amoureux qui sort de l'ordinaire. Nous retenterons l'aventure aux beaux jours. Max et Virg
Fantastic accomodation for a weekend break! The hosts were lovely and made us feel at home. They recommended places to eat and had provided lots of tasty food and drink on the breakfast bar so we were sorted for breakfast! The boat was stunning, it was a gorgeous double room with breakfast bar and private bathroom so it was all self contained. Absolutely stunning exterior and interior- great location, safe and easy walk in and out of the city centre. Will definately recommend!
Many guests have asked: "What was this boat before you reconverted it?" The answer is simple: it didn't exist. It was custom build. In October 2011 the "Tasmania" arrived in Amsterdam. Our dream came true and we would love to share that dream with you.
We are hard working film and television professionals. Before building this boat we used to travel a lot. Now every day feels like a holiday. When we are at home we'll be happy to welcome you and tell you everything you want to know about Amsterdam and the boat. But most of the time we're out working. It will make your stay more private. We hope the studio apartment appeals to people who like to travel independent, just like us.
Favorite travel destination: Namibia
Favorite movies: De Rouille et d'Os, Heat, Das Weisse Band
Favorite Filmfestival: International Documentary Festival Amsterdam (IDFA)
Favorite Music Festivals: North Sea Jazz Festival, Amsterdam Dance Event
Favorite books: Story of a Life by Paustovsky, Innumeracy by Paulos
Favorite food: Mediterranean