About this listing
We were able to build our dream. A unique, modern and comfortable houseboat of 35 x 6 meters. Some call it a yacht-villa. We designed an independent studio in the bow of the boat. So you can share our experience of living the good life on the water.
The nautical boutique style studio is situated in the bow of houseboat "Tasmania". You get your own private space with a private entrance and en-suite bathroom with great shower and toilet. It has underfloor heating and is cosy and warm in the wintertime.
From the bed, you can look at the stars or the full moon. On the private deck you can enjoy a glass of wine and watch the sunset and the beautiful row of old seventeenth century warehouses.
The Tasmania lies at the edge of the city centre in the old woodharbor, a secret hideaway just around the corner of the bustling city centre. Quiet and beautiful, it is situated in the heart of the architectural redeveloped waterfront of Amsterdam.
- 5 minute walk to Jordaan neighborhood, the lovely canal district and the most popular shopping street of 2012: the Haarlemmerstraat.
- 10 minute walk to hip and happening Westerpark
- 20 minute walk (2.3 km) to Central Station (or take bus 48)
- 2 minute walk to Tram stop (line 3 to Museum District: Van Gogh Museum, Rijks Museum, Stedelijk Museum and to the Concertgebouw)
- the boat can be reached from Central Station on foot, by bus, by car or by taxi. (only guests who park their car for free in Amsterdam Noord, need to take the free ferry back to the boat)
Good food in great restaurants is near at all times of the day and night. We are happy to provide you with a list of our favorites.
What you will receive as standard:
- A warm welcome
- Use of 2 bicycles
- Fast WiFi
- Ipod/ipad dock
- Satelite TV and DVD player
- Complimentary drinks and snacks in fridge
- Complimentary coffee and tea
- Basic kitchen with small fridge and microwave/convection oven
- Fresh luxury hotel towels, linen and bed sheets
- Use of Lonely Planet Amsterdam, Time Out Amsterdam, 100% Amsterdam
- Amsterdam map, tourist attraction leaflets
- Free parking in Amsterdam Noord if you arrive by car (we will mail you the details)
Looking forward to hosting you.
- No smoking inside. Please smoke outside.
- Be careful with Dutch wiet. It is very powerful stuff.
- Checkin and checkout times are flexible depending on bookings of guests before and/or after you. If you arrive too early it is always possible to leave your luggage on the Tasmania before you head into town. If you have a late flight you can store the luggage until you leave.
- Lock the bikes at all times. Lots of them get stolen in Amsterdam.
- In the summer time you can use the deck chairs or the fatboy to sit outside. If you leave to go into town put them inside. The wind can blow them overboard.
- Don't wear stilettos inside. They will ruin the bamboo floor.
- Please make use of the popular Amsterdam guides available but leave them for other guests to enjoy as well.
- Aboard the ship you may encounter a mellow ginger cat called Hector. He is not allowed to go into the studio.
At our arrival we have been welcomed by Sonja and she showed us around. We felt very welcome.
The Houseboat is really nice and we have had a lot of space in our Room.
Together with the Bikes we had used it was a perfect stay which we have enjoyed. We definitly would recommend this for everybody who want to stay a few Days or a Week in Amsterdam.
Wir haben ein wunderschönes langes Wochenende auf der Tasmania verbracht. Es gab wirklich nichts, was es nicht gab. Sonja hat sogar den Kühlschrank mit Leckereien fürs Frühstück gefüllt und auch Bier kalt gestellt ;) Ihre Restauranttipps waren auch sehr gut und hilfreich. Die Ausstattung pikobello! Toll, dass es auch zwei Fahrräder gibt. Von dem ruhig gelegenen Anlegeplatz ist alles andere prima zu erreichen. Vielen lieben Dank! Wir kommen wieder!
Everything was perfect, literally. Sonja is superfriendly, easy, efficient, helpful, everything you'd want a host to be. The boat is great, excellent modern design with lots of clever practical ideas, stylish but cosy at the same time. The morning swim was refreshing, the bike distance to the city (literally 10 minutes) fun and easy. It's hard to be taken seriously when you're so enthusiastic about everything, but believe me, when I am dissatisfied with anything, I make that clear too. So, Amsterdam and the "Tasmania" are definitely on top of our "back soon"-list -- thank you so much, Sonja.
Absolutely Fabulous experience from start to finish.. The houseboat is even better than its pictures.. Great location, close to everything, and all the information one could ever need about Amsterdam.
Fully provisioned fridge.. And Bubbly too.
Thank you Sonia .. We will return.
Séjour au top à bord du Tasmania. L'accueil de Sonja est parfait : petit déjeuner frais, boissons, deux vélos à disposition, logement très bien équipé, et il a été très facile de communiquer.
Le quartier est tranquille, situé à proximité de la gare et du Jordaan, donc parfait pour quelques jours de visites à Amsterdam. Et le bateau en lui-même est à voir! Confortable et très bien rénové, on peine à le quitter.
Sonja is a very welcoming host, treat us with sparkling wine, juice, cheese and simple breakfast for our enjoyment.
She replies very efficiently and is. Very helpful host.
The boat is very great designed, neat and tidy. We just like staying in a dream boat.
The only drawback is its location. It requires about 20-25 minutes to walk to the Central Station or city centre.
Sonja was a fantastic host and the houseboat was exactly as pictured. It was a great experience and I recommend everyone stay aboard a boat in Amsterdam :)
About the Host, Sonja
Many guests have asked: "What was this boat before you reconverted it?" The answer is simple: it didn't exist. It was custom build. In October 2011 the "Tasmania" arrived in Amsterdam. Our dream came true and we would love to share that dream with you.
We are hard working film and television professionals. Before building this boat we used to travel a lot. Now every day feels like a holiday. When we are at home we'll be happy to welcome you and tell you everything you want to know about Amsterdam and the boat. But most of the time we're out working. It will make your stay more private. We hope the studio apartment appeals to people who like to travel independent, just like us.
Favorite travel destination: Namibia
Favorite movies: De Rouille et d'Os, Heat, Das Weisse Band
Favorite Filmfestival: International Documentary Festival Amsterdam (IDFA)
Favorite Music Festivals: North Sea Jazz Festival, Amsterdam Dance Event
Favorite books: Story of a Life by Paustovsky, Innumeracy by Paulos
Favorite food: Mediterranean