About this listing
We were able to build our dream. A unique, modern and comfortable houseboat of 35 x 6 meters. Some call it a yacht-villa. We designed an independent studio in the bow of the boat. So you can share our experience of living the good life on the water.
The nautical boutique style studio is situated in the bow of houseboat "Tasmania". You get your own private space with a private entrance and en-suite bathroom with great shower and toilet. It has underfloor heating and is cosy and warm in the wintertime.
From the bed, you can look at the stars or the full moon. On the private deck you can enjoy a glass of wine and watch the sunset and the beautiful row of old seventeenth century warehouses.
The Tasmania lies at the edge of the city centre in the old woodharbor, a secret hideaway just around the corner of the bustling city centre. Quiet and beautiful, it is situated in the heart of the architectural redeveloped waterfront of Amsterdam.
- 5 minute walk to Jordaan neighborhood, the lovely canal district and the most popular shopping street of 2012: the Haarlemmerstraat.
- 10 minute walk to hip and happening Westerpark
- 20 minute walk (2.3 km) to Central Station (or take bus 48)
- 2 minute walk to Tram stop (line 3 to Museum District: Van Gogh Museum, Rijks Museum, Stedelijk Museum and to the Concertgebouw)
- the boat can be reached from Central Station on foot, by bus, by car or by taxi. (only guests who park their car for free in Amsterdam Noord, need to take the free ferry back to the boat)
Good food in great restaurants is near at all times of the day and night. We are happy to provide you with a list of our favorites.
What you will receive as standard:
- A warm welcome
- Use of 2 bicycles
- Fast WiFi
- Ipod/ipad dock
- Satelite TV and DVD player
- Complimentary drinks and snacks in fridge
- Complimentary coffee and tea
- Basic kitchen with small fridge and microwave/convection oven
- Fresh luxury hotel towels, linen and bed sheets
- Use of Lonely Planet Amsterdam, Time Out Amsterdam, 100% Amsterdam
- Amsterdam map, tourist attraction leaflets
- Free parking in Amsterdam Noord if you arrive by car (we will mail you the details)
Looking forward to hosting you.
- No smoking inside. Please smoke outside.
- Be careful with Dutch wiet. It is very powerful stuff.
- Checkin and checkout times are flexible depending on bookings of guests before and/or after you. If you arrive too early it is always possible to leave your luggage on the Tasmania before you head into town. If you have a late flight you can store the luggage until you leave.
- Lock the bikes at all times. Lots of them get stolen in Amsterdam.
- In the summer time you can use the deck chairs or the fatboy to sit outside. If you leave to go into town put them inside. The wind can blow them overboard.
- Don't wear stilettos inside. They will ruin the bamboo floor.
- Please make use of the popular Amsterdam guides available but leave them for other guests to enjoy as well.
- Aboard the ship you may encounter a mellow ginger cat called Hector. He is not allowed to go into the studio.
Sonja welcomed us warmly on her truely spectatular houseboat. The apparment was all nice and clean, the fridge was filled with drinks and cheese. A great asset were the two bikes we could use a - true Dutch experience. We enjoyed our time and would have preferred to stay way longer .... Thanks Sonja and hope to return some time :-)
Het was een leuke ontvangst, goede info over wat er in de buurt te zien was. Een rustige omgeving en toch snel in het centrum. Het verblijf was geweldig, je bent het niet gewoon om op een boot te slapen, maar dit was toch een leuke ervaring!
This was probably the nicest place I stayed at in Amsterdam so far, and I will be back. Sonja is awesome, she really thought of every detail and it's so easy to live there. The boat is extra clean, comfortable, quite and relaxing. Thank you for your great hospitality. Looking forward to spending more days here in the future.
A unique,extraordinary place to stay. Lovely accomodation,very friendly hosts. You enter the boat And the holidays Start directly. You Even have some nice Little things to eat And drink to welcome you And Two Bikes you can use to go easily & quickly to the City Center. The view on the water is amazing,you can perfectly chillout on deck And if you go Inside, it is just cozy, very clean And you have a nice huge confy bed awaiting you. We Feel so Lucky that we Found this perfect place to escape And we will for sure come back. Thanks for the lovely Weekend!
Très beau logement.
Les photos reflètent la réalité et encore la réalité est encore mieux. Car on se sent très bien accueillis. Produits locaux pour le petit dej, bouteille de vin pour l'apéro....
Tout était parfait et le gros plus, ce sont les vélos mis à notre disposition.
Special accommodation, wonderfully warm host. Excellent communication beforehand, great information on local restaurants and attractions given. What a room - everything you dream of when you think of an ideal room on a boat! Plenty of lovely extras too - snacks, drinks, coffee pods, delicious fresh bread - thanks for a sensational end to our holiday!
Wow! We had a great experience staying on the Tasmania. Sonja greeted us warmly and gave us a guided tour of everything we needed. We were delighted with the drinks and goodies she provided for us and made good use of them. Amsterdam is a wonderful city and staying on such a beautiful houseboat was the perfect place to experience it. The 'apartment' is lovely - roomy, modern, quirky. We loved it and will definitely come to stay again, only longer next time! Thanks Sonja.
About the Host, Sonja
Many guests have asked: "What was this boat before you reconverted it?" The answer is simple: it didn't exist. It was custom build. In October 2011 the "Tasmania" arrived in Amsterdam. Our dream came true and we would love to share that dream with you.
We are hard working film and television professionals. Before building this boat we used to travel a lot. Now every day feels like a holiday. When we are at home we'll be happy to welcome you and tell you everything you want to know about Amsterdam and the boat. But most of the time we're out working. It will make your stay more private. We hope the studio apartment appeals to people who like to travel independent, just like us.
Favorite travel destination: Namibia
Favorite movies: De Rouille et d'Os, Heat, Das Weisse Band
Favorite Filmfestival: International Documentary Festival Amsterdam (IDFA)
Favorite Music Festivals: North Sea Jazz Festival, Amsterdam Dance Event
Favorite books: Story of a Life by Paustovsky, Innumeracy by Paulos
Favorite food: Mediterranean