About This Listing
We were able to build our dream. A unique, modern and comfortable houseboat of 35 x 6 meters. Some call it a yacht-villa. We designed an independent studio in the bow of the boat. So you can share our experience of living the good life on the water.
The nautical boutique style studio is situated in the bow of houseboat "Tasmania". You get your own private space with a private entrance and en-suite bathroom with great shower and toilet. It has underfloor heating and is cosy and warm in the wintertime.
From the bed, you can look at the stars or the full moon. On the private deck you can enjoy a glass of wine and watch the sunset and the beautiful row of old seventeenth century warehouses.
The Tasmania lies at the edge of the city centre in the old woodharbor, a secret hideaway just around the corner of the bustling city centre. Quiet and beautiful, it is situated in the heart of the architectural redeveloped waterfront of Amsterdam.
- 5 minute walk to Jordaan neighborhood, the lovely canal district and the most popular shopping street of 2012: the Haarlemmerstraat.
- 10 minute walk to hip and happening Westerpark
- 20 minute walk (2.3 km) to Central Station (or take bus 48)
- 2 minute walk to Tram stop (line 3 to Museum District: Van Gogh Museum, Rijks Museum, Stedelijk Museum and to the Concertgebouw)
- the boat can be reached from Central Station on foot, by bus, by car or by taxi. (only guests who park their car for free in Amsterdam Noord, need to take the free ferry back to the boat)
Good food in great restaurants is near at all times of the day and night. We are happy to provide you with a list of our favorites.
What you will receive as standard:
- A warm welcome
- Use of 2 bicycles
- Fast WiFi
- Ipod/ipad dock
- Satelite TV and DVD player
- Complimentary drinks and snacks in fridge
- Complimentary coffee and tea
- Basic kitchen with small fridge and microwave/convection oven
- Fresh luxury hotel towels, linen and bed sheets
- Use of Lonely Planet Amsterdam, Time Out Amsterdam, 100% Amsterdam
- Amsterdam map, tourist attraction leaflets
- Free parking in Amsterdam Noord if you arrive by car (we will mail you the details)
Looking forward to hosting you.
- No smoking inside. Please smoke outside.
- Be careful with Dutch wiet. It is very powerful stuff.
- Checkin and checkout times are flexible depending on bookings of guests before and/or after you. If you arrive too early it is always possible to leave your luggage on the Tasmania before you head into town. If you have a late flight you can store the luggage until you leave.
- Lock the bikes at all times. Lots of them get stolen in Amsterdam.
- In the summer time you can use the deck chairs or the fatboy to sit outside. If you leave to go into town put them inside. The wind can blow them overboard.
- Don't wear stilettos inside. They will ruin the bamboo floor.
- Please make use of the popular Amsterdam guides available but leave them for other guests to enjoy as well.
- Aboard the ship you may encounter a mellow ginger cat called Hector. He is not allowed to go into the studio.
Special accommodation, wonderfully warm host. Excellent communication beforehand, great information on local restaurants and attractions given. What a room - everything you dream of when you think of an ideal room on a boat! Plenty of lovely extras too - snacks, drinks, coffee pods, delicious fresh bread - thanks for a sensational end to our holiday!
Wow! We had a great experience staying on the Tasmania. Sonja greeted us warmly and gave us a guided tour of everything we needed. We were delighted with the drinks and goodies she provided for us and made good use of them. Amsterdam is a wonderful city and staying on such a beautiful houseboat was the perfect place to experience it. The 'apartment' is lovely - roomy, modern, quirky. We loved it and will definitely come to stay again, only longer next time! Thanks Sonja.
We had a wonderful stay with Sonja on the Tasmania. We were greeted warmly and she had prepared an entire folder for us of information and things to do in Amsterdam which included a list of even places to eat and a map of where they were. Very helpful. Great area- we walked everywhere. Bikes were included also even though we didn't ride them. Would stay there again. Thanks Sonja :)
On a passé un séjour incroyable grâce à cet endroit inédit et les petites attentions laissées par sonja.
Tout était parfait.
Je recommande cet endroit ludique et agréable à tout le monde.
Nous y avons trouvé une tranquillité que nous n aurions pas trouver ailleurs !!!!
The boat house was amazing! Wasn't to far from the central of Amsterdam and in a lovely quiet location! Inside was lovely and clean and Sonja had very kindly supplied milk, orange juice, cheese which was delicious, bread which was amazing, tea, coffee, jams and few other little extras!! A lovely bottle of champers was also in the fridge! The bedroom was fresh and very comfortable, there is not one negative thing about this amazing place and the host as we had the best weekend! Advice for anyone staying try the bikes we had a lot of fun on them and a fab way to get around, looks scary but once you get the hang of them they are fantastic! Thank you Sonja for making our experience a very 5 star and special one would love to return.
Had a wonderful stay at Sonja's houseboat. Could only stay three nights as we were on a tight schedule, would have loved to spend a little more time there.
Sonja supplies maps and guide books as well as helpful first hand knowledge about Amsterdam and the best areas to explore.
Bikes are right next to the boat and it's super easy to get around on them.
Would strongly recommend this as a place to stay.
Amazing boat! Really enjoyed our stay here the boat is lovely and Sonja is an excellent host. She was there to meet us when we arrived and showed us around. Sonja even provided some breakfast items and a bottle of fizz which made it that extra special! Would definitely go back! Thanks again!
About the Host, Sonja
Many guests have asked: "What was this boat before you reconverted it?" The answer is simple: it didn't exist. It was custom build. In October 2011 the "Tasmania" arrived in Amsterdam. Our dream came true and we would love to share that dream with you.
We are hard working film and television professionals. Before building this boat we used to travel a lot. Now every day feels like a holiday. When we are at home we'll be happy to welcome you and tell you everything you want to know about Amsterdam and the boat. But most of the time we're out working. It will make your stay more private. We hope the studio apartment appeals to people who like to travel independent, just like us.
Favorite travel destination: Namibia
Favorite movies: De Rouille et d'Os, Heat, Das Weisse Band
Favorite Filmfestival: International Documentary Festival Amsterdam (IDFA)
Favorite Music Festivals: North Sea Jazz Festival, Amsterdam Dance Event
Favorite books: Story of a Life by Paustovsky, Innumeracy by Paulos
Favorite food: Mediterranean