About This Listing
We were able to build our dream. A unique, modern and comfortable houseboat of 35 x 6 meters. Some call it a yacht-villa. We designed an independent studio in the bow of the boat. So you can share our experience of living the good life on the water.
The nautical boutique style studio is situated in the bow of houseboat "Tasmania". You get your own private space with a private entrance and en-suite bathroom with great shower and toilet. It has underfloor heating and is cosy and warm in the wintertime.
From the bed, you can look at the stars or the full moon. On the private deck you can enjoy a glass of wine and watch the sunset and the beautiful row of old seventeenth century warehouses.
The Tasmania lies at the edge of the city centre in the old woodharbor, a secret hideaway just around the corner of the bustling city centre. Quiet and beautiful, it is situated in the heart of the architectural redeveloped waterfront of Amsterdam.
- 5 minute walk to Jordaan neighborhood, the lovely canal district and the most popular shopping street of 2012: the Haarlemmerstraat.
- 10 minute walk to hip and happening Westerpark
- 20 minute walk (2.3 km) to Central Station (or take bus 48)
- 2 minute walk to Tram stop (line 3 to Museum District: Van Gogh Museum, Rijks Museum, Stedelijk Museum and to the Concertgebouw)
- the boat can be reached from Central Station on foot, by bus, by car or by taxi. (only guests who park their car for free in Amsterdam Noord, need to take the free ferry back to the boat)
Good food in great restaurants is near at all times of the day and night. We are happy to provide you with a list of our favorites.
What you will receive as standard:
- A warm welcome
- Use of 2 bicycles
- Fast WiFi
- Ipod/ipad dock
- Satelite TV and DVD player
- Complimentary drinks and snacks in fridge
- Complimentary coffee and tea
- Basic kitchen with small fridge and microwave/convection oven
- Fresh luxury hotel towels, linen and bed sheets
- Use of Lonely Planet Amsterdam, Time Out Amsterdam, 100% Amsterdam
- Amsterdam map, tourist attraction leaflets
- Free parking in Amsterdam Noord if you arrive by car (we will mail you the details)
Looking forward to hosting you.
- No smoking inside. Please smoke outside.
- Be careful with Dutch wiet. It is very powerful stuff.
- Checkin and checkout times are flexible depending on bookings of guests before and/or after you. If you arrive too early it is always possible to leave your luggage on the Tasmania before you head into town. If you have a late flight you can store the luggage until you leave.
- Lock the bikes at all times. Lots of them get stolen in Amsterdam.
- In the summer time you can use the deck chairs or the fatboy to sit outside. If you leave to go into town put them inside. The wind can blow them overboard.
- Don't wear stilettos inside. They will ruin the bamboo floor.
- Please make use of the popular Amsterdam guides available but leave them for other guests to enjoy as well.
- Aboard the ship you may encounter a mellow ginger cat called Hector. He is not allowed to go into the studio.
Great all round experience for our first time in Amsterdam. The boat was absolutely lovely and exceeded expectations! Fresh bread and a full fridge when we arrived was a very nice touch. Directions & local information given were brilliant and we had no trouble finding the boat from the train station. Nice distance away from the city centre and the bikes provided made it easy to get around (and a nice way to see the city). Highly recommended and would defiantly return if we ever visit Amsterdam again. Thank-You Sonja!!
Perfect - a really lovely stay thank you. Apologies only for our chaotic dash to leave and our slightly late arrival!
Great experience on a beautiful custom built houseboat! Cozy bedroom in the bow has everything you need - super comfortable bed, private bath, small kitchen and your own private entrance. Sonja was great communicating after we booked and provided excellent local information, as well as a wonderful welcome refreshments and local treats. Location is quiet and removed from the busy tourist center but you are just a couple blocks walk from bus and tram to all of city's adventures.
Die Reise nach Amsterdam war ein Geburtstagsgeschenk für meinen Mann und es sollte was besonders sein... Durch Zufall nr.1 entdeckte ich die App Airbnb und Zufall nr.2 die "Tasmania"! Ich und mein Mann waren sehr begeistert von Tasmania, sie ist noch schöner als auf den Bildern und zugleich über die freundliche und liebevolle Art von der Gastgeberin Sonja! Nochmal vielen herzlichen Dank an Sonja für die Möglichkeit auf einem Boot zu wohnen!!! Das ist ein tolles Gefühl! Wir werden wieder hin fahren!
We had a wonderful time on this boat, really spacious and comfortable! We were delighted to be looked after so well... do not hesitate to book this place!
I think there is pretty much everything already said regarding Sonja's and Michael's kindness and hospitality.
In my view there is only one word to describe the location, the surrounding and the couple: AWESOME !!!
We will be back for sure. As soon as possible.
About the Host, Sonja
Many guests have asked: "What was this boat before you reconverted it?" The answer is simple: it didn't exist. It was custom build. In October 2011 the "Tasmania" arrived in Amsterdam. Our dream came true and we would love to share that dream with you.
We are hard working film and television professionals. Before building this boat we used to travel a lot. Now every day feels like a holiday. When we are at home we'll be happy to welcome you and tell you everything you want to know about Amsterdam and the boat. But most of the time we're out working. It will make your stay more private. We hope the studio apartment appeals to people who like to travel independent, just like us.
Favorite travel destination: Namibia
Favorite movies: De Rouille et d'Os, Heat, Das Weisse Band
Favorite Filmfestival: International Documentary Festival Amsterdam (IDFA)
Favorite Music Festivals: North Sea Jazz Festival, Amsterdam Dance Event
Favorite books: Story of a Life by Paustovsky, Innumeracy by Paulos
Favorite food: Mediterranean