PLEASE read the listing details below carefully as it contains many important information that answers most of your questions.
The house is SAFE, QUITE, CLEAN, COZY, NEAR TO DOWNTOWN VANCOUVER & HAS REALLY POSITIVE ENERGY!
The typical thing about this room, most airbnb guests booked it for a week or two BUT then they feel comfortable, extend their stay for a couple of months after they get esp.discount^^
The House is just 6 KM (~3.5 miles) a way from DOWN TOWN VANCOUVER. Although its cold & & chilly in winter but I bike almost daily to down town Vancouver esp. on dry weather. Its really fun & environmentally friendly!
By public transportation (Bus or Sky train) it takes around 25-30 minutes depends on traffic.
By car only 20 minutes or less... In summer it takes max 25 minutes beautiful bike ride from the house to Downtown Vancouver.
Private small room, cozy & comfortable in the suite which is WARM, CLEAN & FULLY FURNISHED.
This is a quite & clean 3 Bedrooms Basement suite in a back yard of small House that is located in ONE Zone SAFE Area Of Vancouver.
Close to very Frequent Public Transportation Bus #22, #8 direct from Down town to the House(20 minutes max). Bus # 41 & #33 to Canada line & Skytrain station.
Your room has single bed, Computer or Laptop table, Small TV with DVD, Table Lamp, a closet or small storage space, BED LINENS, Iron & Iron board.
The house overall isn't anything FANCY, however it's a SIMPLE, COMFORTABLE & PRICE AFFORDABLE accommodation for your short stay in Vancouver with LIGHT cooking!
FREE WIFI Wireless Secured Internet,
FREE TV CABLE in your room.
FREE Washing & Drying once a week for WEEKLY booking. (you have to buy your washing detergent)
FREE & ALWAYS AVAILABLE STREET PARKING in front & near to the House if you have a car...
Let me know if you need any help or advise about your plan visit.... cheers!
* In Summer, its awesome to enjoy the Sun at the back yard & if you are lucky arriving at the right time for our get together Summer BBQ!
* The house is really quite as we don't have kids or close to a noisy traffic.
* The suite has a private entrance so you are free to leave & come back home any time you like & its really SAFE neighborhood.
* If you like to extend your stay on a monthly basis you will get esp. discount.
* In the beginning you will always get help about shopping, finding places of interest, help to settle down or even free ride to down town.
* Sorry! this place is NOT for people who stay all the time in the basement & try to cook all day!
* It is important to read BOTH the Guest & the Host reviews for complete understanding of any particular situation.
I enjoy very much meeting new people, exploring new culture, sharing new ideas & helping my guests planning their visit to our beautiful city of Vancouver. So, come over I invite you for a cup of tea/coffee & lets have have friendly chat^^
Our Neighborhood is rich in its multiculturalism.
Its mainly divided in 3 ethnic groups. The Chinese, The European (Italian & German) & mixed of other European, Asian & Middle eastern.
- Beside the cheap & fresh Chinese Grocery stores on Victoria Dr. and E37th (10 minutes walking distance) you can find
- Western foods in London Drugs Supermarket on Victoria Dr. and E 41st (10 minutes walk).
- The famous German Club House on Victoria Dr. & E33rd. 10-15 minutes walking distance (If you miss Germany or needs info )
- Duffin's just few minutes from the house on Knight & 41st (5 minutes walking distance) Fast Food Day or Night (open 24 hrs) serves a variety of food including hot torta subs, burgers, Chinese food, and of course, those tasty donuts.
- Italian Culture Centre at 3075 Slocan and Grandview HWY
To Down town Vancouver
There are many ways to get to Down town with approximate travel time around 25-40 minutes depends on the traffic.
- Bus # 22 Direct one bus ride. Bus stop at Knight and 37th Ave. (5 minutes from the house)
- Bus # 41 Direction West (UBC) get off at Oakridge mal Canadaline Skytrain ( around 10 minutes ride) then take Skytrain to Downown or to Vancouver International Airport.
- Bus #41 Direction East (Joyce/Collingwood) (around 10 minutes ride) get off at the last stop at Joyce/Collingwood Skytrain station & take Skytrain Direction West Bound Direction to Down town Vancouver (13 minutes skytrain ride)
- Bus # 33 Direction West (UBC) get off at King Edward Canadaline Skytrain (10 minutes bus ride) then take the Canada Line Skytrain to Downtown or to the Vancouver International Airport.
- Bus #33 Direction East (E29th Ave.) get off at the last stop E29th Ave. Skytrain station (10 minutes bus ride) Then take the Skytrain Direction West Bound to Down town Vancouver (around 11 minutes)
- Bus #8 at Fraser Str./E37th Direction North to Downtown Vancouver (around 25-40 minutes)
- Queen Elizabeth Park (15 minutes walking distance from the house. Easy 2(website hidden) it^^
- Metrotown Mall in Burnaby (around 20 minutes bus/skytrain ride) Big mall for EVERYTHING YOU NEED from Clothing, Gifts, All kind of food etc. Bus #41 East Direction Joyce/Collingwood Skytrain (around 10 minutes ride). Then take Skytrain East Bound to Metrotown (around 5 minutes)
|Room type:||Private room|
|Bed type:||Real Bed|
|Minimum Stay:||5 nights|
|Weekly Price:||$185 /week|
|Monthly Price:||$625 /month|
|Check Out:||11:00 AM|
I am a unique guest who travels the world monthly, often staying in airbnb units. I also have vast experience in high quality residential construction and renovation, so I would like to believe I write fair and accurate property reviews which could help potential guests make decisions.
First and foremost, Lamar is a great guy and tries hard to be a great host. He is ever-present upstairs, but only enters the guest basement suite when you need him. This gives you a sense of independence that is rarely found with airbnb rentals.
The rooms are small, but very well appointed. The bathroom large, but always lacking hand towels. The kitchen large and well appointed, albeit constructed by a rank amateur builder.
There is a backyard and BBQ, which would be quite nice outside Vancouver's long rainy season (October to March).
As with most old houses with converted basements, Lamar's unit was built out by a very poor renovator. The smell of black mold and mildew hits you as soon as you walk in. These come from four areas: no fan in the bathroom or kitchen to exhaust the steam, so moisture and mildew build up; no chalking around the bathtub fixtures, so water leaks in behind and causes deadly black mold; a living room carpet that has absorbed all of this for years, is stained beyond repair, and should be replaced with ceramic tile (ideally) or other flooring; no basement dehumidifier to help deal with the humidity issues - especially during the six-month rainy season.
This is an old house, so it has a great amount of noise transfer from the host living space above. That is okay if your host and family/personal guests are aware of it. Lamar and/or his guests seem quite oblivious to this, sometimes until midnight or 1am.
The location of the house is where I would recommend other airbnb guests consider the absolute 'outside limit' for staying in Vancouver (maybe to 46th if you are on Main, Granville or Cambie – all major bus routes). I lived in this city for many years, and now visit every three months. Near the 41st Avenue line is definitely my limit, as half your days become wasted with commuting.
Due to everything stated above, my feeling is that this place is fair in the $27-29 range, according to the time of year. At that price you can overlook a few of these discrepancies for a short stay. I also feel that with the size of the rooms and the issues with the place, there should be no extra charge for a second person. My flatmates were paying $40, so every discrepancy in the place really bothered them.
Emmerson wanted to EXTEND his STAY in my house but I refused that as was another booking pending for the same room. He paid $140 for 5 Nights. Not even the cheapest motel with full of DIRT & LICE could ever give him accommodation in this price especially in this expensive city of Vancouver!
However he came to my house with SO MANY BIG BAGS! He SHOULD mentioned that to the HOST before he booked the room esp. for the STORAGE arrangement as most houses in Vancouver are small and has limited space. I didn't know what he was carrying in all these bags & honestly I was worried about the safety of my guests.
So, If he claims about there was black deadly mold & the smell in the basement then WHY he REQUESTED TO STAY LONGER??? What a NONSENSE!!!
As I mentioned in the listing the house is not FANCY but SAFE, QUITE, CLEAN & WARM. Last year we spend more than $20K renovation & mostly on the basement.
He is a LOCALE person & he knows very well how expensive the mortgage in Vancouver. Still he expect a FIVE STAR treatment with his $140 for 5 Nights!
The house location is AMAZING. With EXCELLENT PUBLIC CONNECTION as mentioned in the listing. Very near to downtown but also close to the Airport, Burnaby & Richmond. Even I bike to down town very often winter & summer & its Just 6 Km with 25-30 minutes max. beautiful bike ride to downtown Vancouver .
The majority of my guests 90% of them have not only good time in the house but their reviews were simply EXCELLENT because they where very DECENT & APPRECIATIVE GUESTS.
SO, if Emmerson review turned NEGATIVE & UNFAIR that doesn't change a thing from the real fact & it reflect about his UNFAIR MENTALITY!
Thats why, I do not recommend Emmerson to any host & he is not welcome in my house or any other accommodation in the future!
I was on business/education trip and stayed for one week with Lamar. I arrived later at night than anticipated so Lamar stayed up quite late to check me in and show me around. He was very professional/friendly and made my stay a very positive experience. The place was what i expected, not a castle, but a safe warm quiet place to stay with a very pleasant host. The room i stayed in was in the basement with a shared bathroom, livingroom, kitchen with dish/kitchen ware to cook. The bedroom was a little chilly so he had several blankets and a small heater and insisted that if i needed anything i could text, call or knock on his door at anytime. Lamar was very helpful and made suggestions of sights to see, places to visit and activities to my interest in the city. I would not hesitate to stay with him again if i was to go to Vancouver.
Eva is independent, responsible, friendly & great guest. She drives by herself all the way from Alberta to Vancouver for education course that she attended. Which is my drive dream, I wish I could do that myself in the future but for sure not in winter^^ I had the opportunity to chat with her for couple of hours about different things including her course, carrier & other very exiting things in life. She has great & respectful personality with open minded prospective about people & life. It was really what I did expect from a decent guest which as a host make my experience very positive. She took very good care of the place & was very clean & well organized. I do recommend her strongly to any host & she will be always welcome back any time in the future.
I stayed there for 8days and had a good time! The place is very quiet and Lamar was very helpful. I got to meet other tenants and spent a good time with them ! Thank you so much Lamar!
It was brilliant, fantastic house, you share kitchen with fridge and oven ;)
Nice Garden in a nice area - If I later come back to Vancouver i will look for Lamars place again ;) Really nice Place in a nice house, it's an international place there
Everything what you can need is on about 1 or 2 blocks reachable on your feet.
I stayed here for 1 month and had a very good experience here. Lamar is a super nice landlord. I really enjoy having a chat with him. This house is located in a quiet area and easy to go everywhere by bus. Highly recommended!!
Overall, I had an OK experience. Location was perfect for me, it's a nice, quiet area and it's not hard to get downtown. The house was clean and organized, but unfortunately doesn't have a welcoming feel (very sterile, pictures wrapped in plastic).
The room was very cold. Sure, the blankets warm you up at night, but it's not pleasant to be in the room unless you are in bed.
Also: Don't leave without going to Duffin's!
This is the final rate, including any fees from the host and Airbnb.