** STANDARD RATES: $99/night Sun-Thu, $112/night Fri-Sat **
** Rate increases during SxSW, ACL, Formula1, and other large special events **
WELCOME to my 400sf studio and Austin home!
It's a perfect blend of funk and refinement, Texas rustication and Austin sophistication, art and soul, peace and quiet...a retreat in the ❤ of the Old West Austin (South Clarksville) neighborhood and on the edge of everywhere else you want to be. The studio is bright, quiet, and comfortable for one or two renters. It's on the 2nd floor of a small complex with exterior entrance, and there’s plenty of sunlight. The building was built in the early 80's and was recently updated. The studio has hardwood floors, original artwork (most of it by yours truly), and is minimally furnished. I live simply and peacefully and use my home as a place to rest, rejuvenate and recover from the frenetic pace of life in the modern world. I do NOT have a TV or a lot of electronics, and this is by design. If you're an independent, low-maintenance, self-directed traveler who enjoys peaceful, lived-in spaces with a European-style charm, you’ll love my apartment! My goal is for you to feel like you're staying in the home of a friend, not a generic "I could be anywhere" hotel.
The Old West Austin neighborhood has all the quiet charm and convenience of a walkable neighborhood, and it's located close to just about everything you could want to enjoy during your visit to Austin: WALK/BIKE to Whole Foods and FreshPlus natural grocers, farmers market, REI, coffee shops, restaurants, bars, galleries, parks, Town Lake with trails and canoe/kayak rentals, Zilker Park, shopping, yoga, music venues, clubs, etc... WALK/BIKE/CAB to 6th Street venues, museums, Barton Springs Pool, The University of Texas and State Capitol. South Congress District (SoCo) is a short cab ride or a 15-20min bike ride away. You literally do not need a car to live here, but there's plenty of off-street parking if you have one. There's a park a block away with a small, clean and free public swimming pool, and Austin's favorite spring-fed lap pool Deep Eddy is not far away. There's shared patio furniture on the landing, so you can have coffee or a cocktail while enjoying the view of downtown.
And please, fully complete your profile prior to inquiring. It's nice for hosts like me to know a little about those who would like to stay in our homes. Besides, it's fun to learn about new people, and occasionally, make new friends.
• Kitchen stocked with the basics including microwave, pots and pans...so cook! Multiple grocery stores are within walking distance. Downtown farmers market is bikeable on Saturdays year-round.
• French coffee press, drip coffee maker, and coffee grinder
• Comfortable queen platform bed with flexible slat structure + feather pillows
• Bathroom with shower/tub + toiletries + new hair dryer
• All linens provided
• Central heat/AC + ceiling fan
• 1970's Vintage stereo/record player and small collection of old albums (welcome to Austin!)
• Ladies’ town bike available for your use with bike lock and lights provided (no helmet) + bike rentals 1mi away
• WiFi + B&W/color printer + basic office supplies
• Central courtyard with friendly neighbors
• Public park with free swimming pool (open summer only) one block away, small and clean
• Coin-op laundry on premises ($1/each washers and dryers)
• car2go hourly/daily car rental is available nearby
• Red Book with all things local - places to go, things to do, and how to get there. Feel free to add to it.
• Enjoy your visit! I hope you'll feel like you're staying in the home of a friend.
• POTENTIAL CONS: Quality hotels in central Austin cost 30% to 150% more than what I charge. I've done my best to account for all the pros and cons when deciding the price.
1) NO PETS. I personally love animals, but I do not have permission to have pets in my unit.
2) NO SMOKING allowed inside the apartment!!!! And no smoking inside the apartment. Did I mention, this is a non-smoking apartment? None. Nada. Zilch. Really. I mean it. Go outside. Thank you for not smoking inside the apartment!
3) No parties. You might like to host a friend or two for a cocktail and that's peachy. Please do not have gatherings larger than that or loud late night parties. I will find out. It's a small complex. My neighbors are friendly (you'll like them), and we talk.
4) No more than two overnight guests.
5) Sound can travel between apartments. Please be conscientious of your noise levels at all times, especially from 10pm to 8am. Remove hard-soled shoes when inside the apartment to avoid disturbing the neighbor below. Play music at a reasonable level. Sometimes neighbors socialize late weekend nights in the courtyard, and their voices do carry. If they're being loud and you find it bothersome, please ask them nicely to be quieter, but never bang on the floor/walls or scream at them. They're nice people. And they tolerate me renting my apartment to strangers. I'd like to keep it that way.
6) This is my home, not a hotel. As such you will be cohabiting with a few of my personal belongings (ie. photos, some clothes in closet, etc), and it rather "is what it is". The "independent, low-maintenance, self-directed traveler" will have no issue with this. That's what Airbnb is about!
7) For stays shorter than 7 days there is no housekeeping service available during your stay unless you are willing to cover the additional cost for it ($70 per housekeeping visit).
8) I require a 2-night minimum reservation. You are welcome to stay only one night, but you will be charged for a minimum of 2 nights.
9) If any of this is an issue for you, there are plenty of nice hotels in Austin that will be happy to charge you much higher rates to ensure you have every single thing sterilized, tucked, delivered, pressed and trimmed to your whim, which is sometimes the only way to go. Airbnb is about living like a local and doing the best with what you have. Either way, please enjoy your visit!
You'll have access to the entire apartment, and all common areas including courtyard and laundry room.
I communicate clearly and promptly with my guests before and during their stay to ensure they have everything they need, and I'm easily accessible by phone, text or email at any time. I am generally away when guests visit. I have a friend who is my property caretaker in these cases. He prepares my space for guests and leaves a key in an easy access location, which I will provide details for closer to your arrival.
Ms. Hines offers a most comfortable, tasteful, welcoming environment, ,many notches above commercial lodging. Austin visitors will be fortunate find anything comparable, better located or as tastefully furnished as this efficiency. For us it afforded (and was affordable!) access to nearby family, to 6th St. shopping, green space, ample off-street parking at the door, and an interior appointed with lovely, artistic, personal touches, all available for guests to enjoy. Everything worked beautifully: kitchen, bath, and closet spaces are all A+. We would rebook in a New York minute. Patricia and James, Madison, WI
The reservation was canceled 95 days before arrival. This is an automated posting.
Cara keeps a sunny, comfortable flat with lots of small tweaks and amenities that made us feel at home. A cute vintage radio was playing when we arrived to welcome us, and we were asked to put a pin up on the map by the door indicating where we were from and sign the guestbook.
The apt was clean, the bed comfortable - perfect for a couple. The neighborhood itself quiet and centrally located.
Cara has a huge binder with all the information you could possible want on Austin travel, entertainment, food, culture, etc. For folks who didn't have the chance to do much research beforehand, this can be a huge help.
The only thing we didn't like was the steep driveway! :-)
Cara's apartment was cozy, comfortable, and calming. We arrived to some music playing on her radio and the smell of incense in the air. The bed was very comfortable and the whole place had a peaceful, positive feel to it. The location is great--it is out-of-the-way enough to be quiet, but pretty much everything you would want is within walking distance: downtown, South Congress, North/South Lamar (Whole Foods, Waterloo Records, Book People), etc. We even found a great little yoga studio a block away called Blue Honey Yoga which gives visitors a 7-day free membership. We also loved the view from her porch--the Frost Building glowed off in the distance with the stars and moon above. We would definitely stay here again and hope to meet Cara our next time through!
Had a great experience at Cara's place. Her apartment is clean and convenient. The neighborhood is beautiful.
I had a wonderful time in Austin and staying at Cara's place. She has made a small place peacefully and functionally lovely without the clutter of shopping mall junk. Easy and quick access to the running trail, coffee shops, grocery stores, restaurants, buses etc makes Cara's home a perfect place to stay without the need for a car. Another plus--she's attentive to the needs of her guests!
Staying at Cara's Heart of Old West Austin apartment was fantastic. It was comfortable, clean, and had a great, artistic feel about it. Thanks, Cara, for being such a great hostess. I loved playing vinyl on your record player, and being so close to Whole Foods. It felt like I was staying at a cool friend's place.
All the very best,