** STANDARD RATES: $99/night Sun-Thu, $112/night Fri-Sat **
** Rate increases during SxSW, ACL, Formula1, and other large special events **
WELCOME to my 400sf studio and Austin home!
It's a perfect blend of funk and refinement, Texas rustication and Austin sophistication, art and soul, peace and quiet...a retreat in the ❤ of the Old West Austin (South Clarksville) neighborhood and on the edge of everywhere else you want to be. The studio is bright, quiet, and comfortable for one or two renters. It's on the 2nd floor of a small complex with exterior entrance, and there’s plenty of sunlight. The building was built in the early 80's and was recently updated. The studio has hardwood floors, original artwork (most of it by yours truly), and is minimally furnished. I live simply and peacefully and use my home as a place to rest, rejuvenate and recover from the frenetic pace of life in the modern world. I do NOT have a TV or a lot of electronics, and this is by design. If you're an independent, low-maintenance, self-directed traveler who enjoys peaceful, lived-in spaces with a European-style charm, you’ll love my apartment! My goal is for you to feel like you're staying in the home of a friend, not a generic "I could be anywhere" hotel.
The Old West Austin neighborhood has all the quiet charm and convenience of a walkable neighborhood, and it's located close to just about everything you could want to enjoy during your visit to Austin: WALK/BIKE to Whole Foods and FreshPlus natural grocers, farmers market, REI, coffee shops, restaurants, bars, galleries, parks, Town Lake with trails and canoe/kayak rentals, Zilker Park, shopping, yoga, music venues, clubs, etc... WALK/BIKE/CAB to 6th Street venues, museums, Barton Springs Pool, The University of Texas and State Capitol. South Congress District (SoCo) is a short cab ride or a 15-20min bike ride away. You literally do not need a car to live here, but there's plenty of off-street parking if you have one. There's a park a block away with a small, clean and free public swimming pool, and Austin's favorite spring-fed lap pool Deep Eddy is not far away. There's shared patio furniture on the landing, so you can have coffee or a cocktail while enjoying the view of downtown.
And please, fully complete your profile prior to inquiring. It's nice for hosts like me to know a little about those who would like to stay in our homes. Besides, it's fun to learn about new people, and occasionally, make new friends.
• Kitchen stocked with the basics including microwave, pots and pans...so cook! Multiple grocery stores are within walking distance. Downtown farmers market is bikeable on Saturdays year-round.
• French coffee press, drip coffee maker, and coffee grinder
• Comfortable queen platform bed with flexible slat structure + feather pillows
• Bathroom with shower/tub + toiletries + new hair dryer
• All linens provided
• Central heat/AC + ceiling fan
• 1970's Vintage stereo/record player and small collection of old albums (welcome to Austin!)
• Ladies’ town bike available for your use with bike lock and lights provided (no helmet) + bike rentals 1mi away
• WiFi + B&W/color printer + basic office supplies
• Central courtyard with friendly neighbors
• Public park with free swimming pool (open summer only) one block away, small and clean
• Coin-op laundry on premises ($1/each washers and dryers)
• car2go hourly/daily car rental is available nearby
• Red Book with all things local - places to go, things to do, and how to get there. Feel free to add to it.
• Enjoy your visit! I hope you'll feel like you're staying in the home of a friend.
• POTENTIAL CONS: Quality hotels in central Austin cost 30% to 150% more than what I charge. I've done my best to account for all the pros and cons when deciding the price.
1) NO PETS. I personally love animals, but I do not have permission to have pets in my unit.
2) NO SMOKING allowed inside the apartment!!!! And no smoking inside the apartment. Did I mention, this is a non-smoking apartment? None. Nada. Zilch. Really. I mean it. Go outside. Thank you for not smoking inside the apartment!
3) No parties. You might like to host a friend or two for a cocktail and that's peachy. Please do not have gatherings larger than that or loud late night parties. I will find out. It's a small complex. My neighbors are friendly (you'll like them), and we talk.
4) No more than two overnight guests.
5) Sound can travel between apartments. Please be conscientious of your noise levels at all times, especially from 10pm to 8am. Remove hard-soled shoes when inside the apartment to avoid disturbing the neighbor below. Play music at a reasonable level. Sometimes neighbors socialize late weekend nights in the courtyard, and their voices do carry. If they're being loud and you find it bothersome, please ask them nicely to be quieter, but never bang on the floor/walls or scream at them. They're nice people. And they tolerate me renting my apartment to strangers. I'd like to keep it that way.
6) This is my home, not a hotel. As such you will be cohabiting with a few of my personal belongings (ie. photos, some clothes in closet, etc), and it rather "is what it is". The "independent, low-maintenance, self-directed traveler" will have no issue with this. That's what Airbnb is about!
7) For stays shorter than 7 days there is no housekeeping service available during your stay unless you are willing to cover the additional cost for it ($70 per housekeeping visit).
8) I require a 2-night minimum reservation. You are welcome to stay only one night, but you will be charged for a minimum of 2 nights.
9) If any of this is an issue for you, there are plenty of nice hotels in Austin that will be happy to charge you much higher rates to ensure you have every single thing sterilized, tucked, delivered, pressed and trimmed to your whim, which is sometimes the only way to go. Airbnb is about living like a local and doing the best with what you have. Either way, please enjoy your visit!
You'll have access to the entire apartment, and all common areas including courtyard and laundry room.
I communicate clearly and promptly with my guests before and during their stay to ensure they have everything they need, and I'm easily accessible by phone, text or email at any time. I am generally away when guests visit. I have a friend who is my property caretaker in these cases. He prepares my space for guests and leaves a key in an easy access location, which I will provide details for closer to your arrival.
Cara's studio is everything a traveler to Austin should need: great location, comfortable furnishings and a warm feel. It is the perfect place to recharge after putting your energy into everything Austin has to offer. Or you could just as easily stay within walking distance and enjoy coffee at Cafe Medici, go for a swim at the West Austin neighborhood park or down a cold one at Mean Eyed Cat. We'd most certainly stay should our travels bring us back to Austin. Thanks Cara! Ernie & Erin
It was a thrill to go back to Austin and stay only a few blocks away from my old flat. Cara was a breeze to communicate with even though she was out of town and she made my visit an ease and a pleasure. The studio interior exhibit's Cara's wonderful abstract paintings and well displayed groupings of objects and other curiosities - a wonderful and calming personal space. The neighborhood is quiet, and just on the other side of the adjacent West Austin Park is the park is West Lynn St., the local nerve center with Fresh Plus grocery, Cippolina Bistro and Jeffery's restaurant, along with a few other local faves. Add to this the studio's proximity to downtown and it's hard to beat. This is real Austin, in what remains a real neighborhood. Cara's if offering something very special and I would not hesitate for a moment to go back.
Cara's studio was just the prefect place for our visit! Very artsy but spacious for a studio and just as pictured. It's a few quick blocks to the main portion of West 6th street where you can also easily rent city bikes (B-Cycle). Cara is a great host giving advice on places to go/see/eat when in Austin. Would definitely come back!
Cara runs her AirBnB listing expertly, she is a great communicator, and it is a pleasure to stay in her tasteful and comfortable apartment, surrounded by panels of her beautiful artwork. It is situated in a peaceful neighborhood with convenient parking and close to Wholefoods and 7/11. The center is just a 7-minute bike ride away. I highly recommend this charming apartment!
I passed through Austin on a cross country trip and Cara opened her home up to us, we loved her home and she was so sweet and kind through the whole process! The space is as lovely as it looks in the photos, very clean and in a great location! I can't wait to be back!
Great stay, is just close enough to the SXSW events. Near whole foods too. Everything was arranged well and Cara is a good host.
We had a great time staying at Cara's place in West Austin. It is a great location for getting to a lot of attractions in different parts of the city -- 6th Street, South Congress, Lady Bird Lake, Whole Foods, etc. And the apartment is very clean and cozy-- perfect for a weekend of exploring the city.
Ms. Hines offers a most comfortable, tasteful, welcoming environment, ,many notches above commercial lodging. Austin visitors will be fortunate find anything comparable, better located or as tastefully furnished as this efficiency. For us it afforded (and was affordable!) access to nearby family, to 6th St. shopping, green space, ample off-street parking at the door, and an interior appointed with lovely, artistic, personal touches, all available for guests to enjoy. Everything worked beautifully: kitchen, bath, and closet spaces are all A+. We would rebook in a New York minute. Patricia and James, Madison, WI
This is the final rate, including any fees from the host and Airbnb.