About this listing
Environ aware/fragrance free 1/Bdrm hm w/lovely outside spaces. Attn to the details, high quality bed & linens, 2-sided fireplace, chef's ktchn, wifi/42"fltsrn, privt garden, quiet neighborhd nr everything you want..beach, rstrnt,bwlk,hbr.
Come for a unique and restful getaway, 5 minute walk to the beach, boardwalk, restaurants, in beautiful Santa Cruz... Modern Beach House is on a shared property w/ the owners' home, enclosed gardens and outside spaces. Owners sometimes stay in a small detached cottage behind the house. Property is small with well separated spaces for guests privacy.
We will provide you with a "starter" breakfast of hearty, homemade bread, of freshly ground spelt flour, or sourdough crumpets, coffee, tea, and often farmer's market strawberries or some other seasonal fruit to start your first day. If you need the extra bedroom which is in a separate small building behind house, there is an additional fee. Please let us know in advance if you will need the extra space.
This home has been a home-away-from-home for family and friends, and now provides the same quiet comfort to AirBnB guests! Please note that our second bedroom is detached from the main house and is only suitable for teenagers or adults. Our home is nestled in a great Seabright neighborhood and is a clean and contemporary place. It is unique and most of the things in it are one of a kind that we either crafted ourselves, up cycled, recycled or found on the side of the road and made into something. Everything else that we have to buy new we choose only the highest quality products that are built to last. There are hardwood golden maple floors throughout the house. The vaulted ceiling in the front room makes the 600 sq. foot house feel more spacious. The bedroom is a deluxe room with double sided gas fire place from the living room to bedroom to keep you warm and cozy when needed. The room is north facing and has dark shades to make the room really dark for sleeping any time. The bed frame we made ourselves from wood that landed on our beach after a big storm. The QUEEN bed mattress is an organic latex highest quality mattress from Monterey Mattress Company covered with sateen sheets and down comforter covered with a Coyuchi organic duvet cover. We do have another room which is about 10 ft behind the main house with high quality beds as well should you need an extra sleeping space - a little rustic but quite cozy for an additional charge. The ideal time for our bunkhouse use is summer unless you are the hearty type. Our yard and house are surrounded by fence and locked on both ends of the property for security. There is a large flatscreen with net flicks, pandora, apple TV & Radio, etc. in the main house bedroom.
If you enjoy cooking then you'll love our chef's kitchen. You'll find everything you need to make whatever suits your fancy. We have top-notch appliances, Wolf stove, Miele dishwasher, Subzero refrigerator and marble countertops. We have a beautiful grain grinder which you can grind your own flours and/or flatten your own oats for your breakfast.
If we are around when you come we would be happy to provide for you some real food for a nominal fee since that is our passion and profession. We even make our own flours and make incredible fresh breads. Inquire more if interested in eating real food while you are visiting us...it just could be the only place you'll get it ;)
We have a pleasant separation btwn the living spaces to assure complete privacy and comfort. We are in another building behind the house you would be in on the property and are sometimes around should you need anything. You will have the entire house to yourself.
Even though we are in the city we feel like we have an oasis here. We live very ecologically & conscious and our home is chemical & fragrance free. We have a whole house water filtration system so you will not smell chlorine when you shower and bath. And, you'll often find the sheets for the beds hanging on the line drying.
We offer off-street parking in our driveway in front of our house.
Our great location makes it easy to walk almost anywhere. Restaurants, the harbor, coffee shops, breakfast spot and the boardwalk are nearby & a short 5 minute walk and to get into town walking by the river takes about 20 minutes. It's an ideal spot for hanging out in The Cruz without having to drive. The beach is only a 5-10 minute walk -- a short 4 blocks. Beach chairs, cooler and towels also available. Hiking trails, more beaches, Santa Cruz Beach Board Walk, coffee shops, shopping, Pacific Garden Mall, great restaurants and farmers markets, famous surf spots and bus lines are within walking/biking distance as well.
Come visit Santa Cruz and take a drive down the magical coast to Big Sur and/or drive north towards Half Moon bay and stop by the local farms to pick the best tasting strawberries you'll ever eat and then take a picnic to one of the many possible beaches.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a no-smoking property. Both inside and outside the grounds. Take this into account if you decide to stay with us.
IMPORTANT; Please e-mail us a bit about yourself when you first inquire about the accommodations... either before or at the time you book. Although our home is very private, we like to know who will be sharing our space, so we ask guests to share a little bit about themselves before they make a reservation. Thank you. :)
One more thing: although we love them, we cannot have animals on the property and we cannot make exceptions. Please, don't break our heart because we will have to say no.
Also, the city of Santa Cruz requires us to collect 11% occupancy tax, which you may pay by cash or check after you arrive.
Please contact us with any of your questions, we love to help in any way we can. We are looking forward to sharing our place with you.
You will have the entire house to yourselves two patios (one private on side of house, one semi-private), The back deck and patio is shared space.
Interaction with Guests
You will have an open line of communication with Terry, throughout your stay. If we are around when you visit we would like to meet you but your privacy will be respected throughout your stay.
We love our quiet and peaceful neighborhood. And we can walk or ride bikes all over town since we are centrally located. Beach, harbor, river, boardwalk, surfing spots, town, neighborhood favorite restaurants like La Posta, Tramonti, Engfer's Wood Fired Pizza, Verve tea and coffee are all within a short walk - anywhere from 5 to 15 minute walk.
Just a few blocks from public transportation. We have bikes to loan if you like or stay on foot to get around since everything is close in Santa Cruz. From the Airport we are a short 30 minute over the mountain depending on what time of day and year you come could be as long as an hour. There is a bus that comes over the hill and bus service around town. Best to come with a car and park it for the weekend and get around by foot and bike. We have a driveway for our guests.
Other Things to Note
My husband and I know all the fun things to do in Santa Cruz and are happy to provide you with any information to assist you during your stay. See our guidebook for more on what to do in Santa Cruz. If coming from a distance and you need help with transportation we may be able to help with this if requested upon your reservation.
Inquire about requests for special cakes or breads upon arrival. I am a professional baker and cook with local, organic, real food and know how to prepare foods to maximize nutrition that are bodies can get the most out of. If you plan to arrive a little late the first night I can have a meal ready for you or if you want to have a candlelight dinner for you and your sweetheart I would be happy to make that happen!
ALSO, Check out OUR GUIDEBOOK where we have put all our favorite places up and down the coast; since we are foodies & outdoor enthusiasts we know the great food spots including farm stands & farmer's markets and places for being in nature and off the beaten track!
*No smoking please!
* 11% Occupancy Taxes collected upon arrival by cash or check unless you'd like to pay for in advance we can also add this on to your reservation.
* Summertime guests must park in our driveway because our neighborhood is permit parking on the street. We do have an extra pass for one additional car to park on street. Please read house manual for more info. Please inquire if there will be more than 2 cars coming.
*Shoes off policy please in the house, so bring your socks or slippers if you like.
*Like most of California, Santa Cruz is currently experiencing a drought. Please help us do our part to conserve water by turning off the faucet while you brush your teeth, shave, scrub dishes and soap-up in the shower.
*Please make sure all lights and fireplace are turned off when you leave for the day.
Please... no cologne, or scented oils.
* We live in a tranquil residential neighborhood. We ask that guests please be mindful of noise out of respect to neighbors. Quiet hours from 9pm-9am.
*Compensation for damages will be collected at the owner's discretion.
when we are not hosting guests or occasionally when invited in to cook for guests, Terry enjoys spreading out in the fully equipped kitchen to do her magic.
What a wonderful cozy place!! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, the incredibly warm and inviting Terry and Clint, and the delicious bread they left for us. Close to harbor and the boardwalk - walking distance! Can't wait to go back. Thank you!!!
This was a perfect spot for me and my daughter. Terry and Clint left detailed notes about the house, the neighborhood, and Santa Cruz. They were also kind enough to leave beach supplies, fresh eggs and delicious strawberries. The house is perfect for 2 people, very well thought out with high end details and a ton of character. It is such a beautiful space! The neighbor hood is perfect for walking to the beach, good restaurants and the roller coaster too. I hope to come back!
My boyfriend and I arrived in the early evening. It was pretty easy to find the location and it's just a few blocks from the beach, so it was really nice having such easy access to the water.
Terry and Clint were great ! Very friendly and welcoming, had a lot of good suggestions for places to eat in the neighborhood.
The house was very comfortable and the yard was really relaxing.
Terry and Clint were excellent hosts. They were extremely welcoming and provided us with great advice about Santa Cruz. Terry had fresh fruit waiting for us which was amazing! The house was magnificent, there were sunflowers everywhere (which are my favorite sunflowers). Clint ended up giving one of us his shoes for hiking in Big Sur which was so nice of him! We would definitely recommend this place to anyone who wants a calming and beautiful environment.
Overall, I had a great time in Santa Cruz but here are my pros and cons staying at this place:
* Adorable, cozy cottage
* Walking distance to boardwalk, wharf/pier
* Close drive to nearby shops, safeway, wholefoods
* Close drive to hiking trails and other scenic areas
* Cost: I stayed during 4th of july weekend so I understand it was peak season. However, I paid: $936 for 2 nights or $468/night which I didn't think was worth it especially with only 1 bathroom. The rate initially started with $283/night, then added $70/night more for 2 additional people, then the 11% occupancy tax on $630 (not sure where this $630 total came from), $100 cleaning fee, $60 airbnb fee = $936. There were a lot of added costs which didn't seem obvious at first booking.
* Clint was helpful showing us around the house, giving us tips around the area. However, we didn't feel completely comfortable with him staying in a little cottage behind the main house, about 10ft away. It just felt like we had someone looking over our shoulder the whole time.
* Not that comfortable for 4 people even though it's advertised to be fine for 4. The house is really meant for two; the bunk bed unit in the back was a tiny little cabin with 2 perpendicularly placed beds just meant for sleeping.
* I know checkout was at 11am; a little early than usual places which lets you checkout at 12pm. We were running a little late as we just wrapped up breakfast at 11am and Clint came by to tell us that he has someone else coming and we need to leave. Did he really have someone coming on sunday? I felt like he just wanted to kick us out and get his house back. We cleaned frantically and rushed out in 10min. I wish he had given us a little bit more flexibility.
* Appliances: kitchen was mostly fully equipped except for certain things - water kettle was moldy, I couldn't find pot lids so it took a while to boil water, bbq grill was dying so unusable, toaster was half working, and no microwave.
Miri, I’m glad you and your 3 guests enjoyed your stay here over the 4th of July weekend. Sorry you felt you were overcharged but this is the going rate in santa cruz on a holiday weekend. We appreciate your feed back on the water kettle and toaster; we were unaware that there was anything wrong and they are being replaced. We are currently getting a new grill also.
My wife and I came and stayed at Terry and Clint's home just last week for our honeymoon. We were blown away by our experience with them! Not only do they have a beautiful place (which is even better than the pictures can capture), they went above and beyond the usual courtesies and made us feel like we were a part of the family. We truly felt our stay was unforgettable and would love to stay with them again. A honeymoon is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity where you don't have to feel bad about living extravagantly. This place was a bargain for the kind of experience we had! We'd do it all over again if we could! Most relaxing vacation we've ever, had hosted by two of the nicest people you could meet. If you want to explore the town, you are in the perfect location (and they are very generous with their bikes). If you want to just stay home and relax, there is no shortage of activities in the house to keep you entertained (we didn't leave until 1-3pm most days). Their well stocked kitchen and up-to-date living space make for a relaxing and luxurious time. Located on a quiet and cozy street, the house is very private and comfortable to be yourself in. We felt right at home! Long story short, if you're looking for a place to stay while in Santa Cruz, stay here. You will not regret it!
About the Host, Terry & Clint
We live in one of the most beautiful places on earth where we have been privileged to live for the last 20 years. Clint grew up in Half Moon Bay, CA and loves to play tennis. Terry grew up in CT and has lived in Boulder, Manhattan & SF. We are school teachers at a private school here. As well, Terry has spent much of her working life as a food enthusiast and caterer (with the help of Clint) and she enjoys cooking fresh, healthy food from our farmer's markets. We are passionate about the environment and do what we can to be living a green and sustainable life all around. We love Santa Cruz and love to share it with people traveling through. We welcome guests from around the globe and we look forward to meeting new friends from different places. We love traveling and getting lost in new cities and discovering their food specialties. We also enjoy being in nature & by water, walking, music and life!
This section is for Guests reading about us prior to submitting a Reservation Request:
• Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace with a mission to connect each Guest with an ideally matched Host. As a Guest, you can better your chances of an approval by posting a profile photo and a bit about yourself (and also who you are traveling with if that applies).
• As a guest, you of course would want to know as much about your host as possible to assure your safety and peace of mind. Additionally your host also wants to know about the people that will be sharing his/her home.
• We have never met and we know nothing about you so take a few moments to tell me who you are, what you like, what are your passions, hobbies etc.. No need to write a book just a few lines to give us a sense of who you are.
• To improve the chance of your request being accepted a complete profile is essential. A COMPLETE PROFILE includes a written statement about who you are, a recent photo of your face (no pets or children), and a verified email address and phone number. Doing these small things will increase the odds of an approved booking by tenfold. This is true for inquiries you make of any Host, not only us.
• VERIFY YOUR ID. You are going to be required to do this eventually, so do it now while you aren't pressed for time. It only takes a few minutes and it shows you value trust in our community. (See https://www.airbnb.com/help/question/450 for more information about Verified ID.)