Greetings adventurous travelers!
Welcome to our guest tent, the perfect stopping place for the outdoorsy traveler. Our congenial home is conveniently located, & we love to host visitors from around the world. Come visit us & enjoy the SF Bay Area!
The Winter tent, which is now up, is officially a four person one- 7.5’ x 8.5’ x 55" high- and it makes a very comfortable amount of space for one person (I can only accept reservations for one as our bathroom can't accommodate any more people) . It’s fully weatherproof, and is situated in the back of our lovely and quiet garden, tucked into a private corner.
Inside the tent, you’ll find a rug on the floor, and a twin size airbed made up with flannel sheets, pillows, warm blankets, wool mattress pad, and a down comforter. Towels are provided. There is wireless internet that reaches to the tent and a battery operated lantern sits on a crate by the bed. Please note that there's no power in the tent, but you're welcome to charge your electronics in the house. There's room in the tent for one good-sized suitcase and some smaller stuff, so if you're traveling with a really huge bag or multiple large bags this is not the right booking for you (sorry!).
For winter guests, the temperatures are typically in the low 40s at night and 50s during the day, though it can get colder or warmer and it can be rainy. Be sure to bring warm sleeping clothes as well as sweaters and a jacket!
You will have use of the house and garden- including kitchen for light cooking- shared with 3-4 interesting, friendly, open-minded, and independent people of varying ages. There is a washer and dryer available for a small fee, and a bicycle is available to rent.
Interaction with Guests
I enjoy hosting and am always happy to answer questions and help you feel at home. Your privacy is respected, you can join in the household to the degree you desire, and you're free to come and go at any hour. In the summer we host an occasional barbecue for current and past guests, and in the winter we may gather and play cards.
Our neighborhood, composed of vintage houses from varying eras, is safe and quiet. The location is great- just a block to BART and buses, and easy walking distance to the Monterey Market shopping area, Berkeley Natural Grocery, University Avenue, and several cafes.
The North Berkeley BART station is literally one block from our house. It's about a 25 minute walk (or 5 minute BART ride) to downtown Berkeley and the university, and BARTing to San Francisco takes about 30 minutes. We're in the Berkeley "flatlands", so walking around is easy, and the Ohlone Greenway, an extended bike/pedestrian path, crosses our block.
Other Things to Note
• If possible, please try to arrive before 10pm.
• Although the tent has a 4 day minimum stay, I occasionally can accept 3 day bookings when I have a gap in the calendar, so please inquire.
• The maximum tent stay is 10 days, but I can sometimes make exceptions if you need a few extra days.
• If you're booking for December- February, inquire about special price offers.
• Please do note that you will be sharing one bathroom with up to 4 other people, which works fine as long as everybody is considerate and communicative. A chamber pot for pee is provided so you don't have to trek to the house at night.
• Weather in the Bay Area can vary a good bit in all seasons and nights are always cool to chilly, so be sure to pack a jacket.
• We're located about 1.5 miles from railroad tracks, and at night we sometimes hear the sound of train whistles- if you're an especially light sleeper you might want to bring earplugs.
• You will be expected to conscientiously clean up after yourself and to leave the tent tidy.
• Smoking is permitted outside.
• I ask guests to be conscious in their use of water and other utilities- use what you need and don't waste. To that end, and because we are experiencing a drought, please be aware that we do not flush the toilet just for pee.
Cece's home is a lovely place to stay in Berkeley. She and her housemates are warm and welcoming and I had a great time chatting with them. When my flight got rescheduled, Cece really helped me out by letting me stay another night.
Due to unexpected changes in travel plans and sleep issues, I ended up not staying here when I had planned to, so I can't review it thoroughly, but Cece seemed nice when I met her and the tent space is adorable.
I enjoyed my stay at Cece's in Plum Hollow. Cece and the others in her house made me feel welcome and gave me the run of the house to study and spend my time. Unfortunately the tent airbed had a leak and so kept going down during my nights, but Cece was very apologetic and ordered a new one straight away, as well as giving me a discount for the affected nights.
I had a great 4 night stay. Cece very hospitable. Blow up bed was comfortable. Location is great, very close to BART. I was out during the days, but could come in at any hour. Perfect for me.
Cece was extremely welcoming, friendly and helpful. The tent was clean, cozy, comfortable and private with lots of warm, cozy bedding. I loved that there were oranges and chocolate when I arrived. The house was very clean, organized and tastefully decorated, and the garden is beautiful.
I had a great stay in Ceces cozy tent. There was plenty of blankets to keep me warm as well as a flashlight and a lamp.
Cece was really friendly and warm and so where her housemates.
What a great stay! The tent was comfortable and Cece made me feel at home. Definitely recommend!
This host has 13 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
I'm an older woman with a young spirit who loves hosting and being hosted, and I've made some wonderful lifelong friends in the process. I work from home as a garden designer/landscape contractor, much enjoy the natural world, and care deeply about ecological issues that our world is facing. Animals are always a part of my life, and presently I'm owned by 2 very independent cats. Our household is casual, congenial, and fun, and we welcome visitors of all ages, colors, shapes, and sizes. Come enjoy our peaceful haven in the city!