About this listing
I have been hosting guests in my spacious home on Airbnb for over four years. A super host with over 430 reviews - 98% 4 and 5 stars. Four guest rooms spread out over 2000 sq. ft. One guest described my home as an international hostel for grown-ups and I like that description.
I live in the house and approach hosting from an ethical position of being kind and considerate. I am closer in spirit to couch surfing; I do not operate a ghost hotel.
The house is located on Euclid Avenue - the downtown edge of the Trinity Bellwoods neighbourhood - a lushly treed area that is a brief walk from the centre of the city. No need to have a car here.
We designed and did a lot of the building of the space. The original house is well over 150 years old and there are many of the earlier details incorporated within the house. I decorated the rooms often with items that reflect the history of the neighborhood. We have particular fondness for the battered, chipped front door.
The house is a duplex - my main living area is on the first floor. The room is on the second floor - next to the bathroom. It is the only bedroom on that floor. There are three other rooms for guests in the house. One on the third floor and two on the first (one is only available on weekends). Besides the bedroom, the rest of the second floor is common area to be used by guests and myself. There is a living room, dining area, kitchen, and deck. The kitchen is fully equipped. There is wireless internet access. Air conditioning when needed. We tend to be fairly quiet.
Public transit is only steps away, but you will be able to walk to most places. According to the Walk Score site, the house has a 95 out of 100 rating for walking - they say it is a walker's paradise - and achieves a perfect 100 for transit (with 19 nearby routes.) We are a couple of minutes from the Dundas, Queen and Bathurst lines. There is a Bixi bike drop a couple minutes away from the house. (Bixi provides bikes for short term use.)
It would take you months - more likely a year - to try all the restaurants which are a short walk away.
The house is one of the older homes on the street - originally a store in the middle of a residential block. Built on the orchard lands of the old Gorevale estate, it is now situated right in the middle of the most popular and hip neighbourhoods of Toronto (with walk times in minutes): West Queen Street West (5), Little Italy (5), Ossington (15), Kensington Market (10), Chinatown (15), King (15) and Dundas (1) to name a few.
We are walking distance from the University of Toronto (25), OCAD (20), Toronto Western Hospital (5) and the shuttle to Toronto General, Sick Kids, Princess Margret (or you can walk slowly to those in thirty minutes). We are close to the Toronto Convention Centre (35), the Eaton's Centre (30), the financial district (30), TIFF (30), AGO (20), the major and most of the other theater spaces (varies but under a thirty minute walk for me).
My son and I live downstairs and we are not partiers. We are looking for mutual respect. The rules are being developed as experience proves the need for them. Please excuse me for stating things which should be common sense.
* We try to have a fragrant free house. The first floor is fragrance fee because I have allergies.
* Please keep your belongings in your room including your bathroom toiletries.
* Shoes at the front door.
* The bathroom is predominately used by yourself and other guests. If you need the bathroom at specific times - i.e. early morning so you can be off to work - please tell me so I can inform the other guests.
* There are hooks in your room for your towel. Please use them and try not to use too many towels.
* We try to be quiet after 10:00 pm to allow people to sleep.
* During the day there is limited use of the private spa areas by myself and a few others. The third floor is available for your use only by request and is otherwise off limits.
* No pets.
* No outside guests in the house after 10:00 pm. Outside guests are only allowed on the second floor and front hallway. Please keep me informed about who might be visiting you.
* People who are not registered as guests are not allowed to stay overnight unless it is discussed with me. Noncompliance with this rule will result in additional charges and possibly the termination of your stay.
* Do not bring non guests to the house to engage in sex. It is not comfortable for me or the other guests and will result in the termination of your stay.
My teenage son and I live in downtown Toronto in a state of frugal luxury. I walk almost everywhere. He draws, works on the computer, wonders about ethics, and makes dry, wry comments when the mood hits him. He, and others, think that I am eccentric. To pin it down more distinctly, he describes it as me being very European. Luckily, he yearns to live in Europe. I am an autodidact, read a fair amount, and think copiously. My sense of humour seems to be in the ear of the beholder. Some people think that I am outrageously funny and start laughing before I even open my mouth. Others believe that I am the most serious person they meet. Frequently this split of opinion can happen within the same room.
Of course, we are kind... and helpful... and sincere... and everything else a heart and someone looking for a place to stay could desire. We are not partiers. Nor do we smoke or drink excessively.