About this listing
Unique, redwood-clad atrium townhouse set back from a calm street in historic Rockridge, one of East Bay's best neighborhoods. Short walk to BART (get to SF in 20 min), as well as College & Telegraph Aves, with their vibrant shops, cafés, markets, & laid-back Oakland vibe.
A Unique Experience.
Built in 1979, the architecturally significant structure is one of the first of its kind in the country, heated via a passive solar technique called “thermal-envelope". The sun-filled atrium keeps our home a pleasant temperature year-round and the greenery outside every window makes you forget you're in the middle of the bustling Bay Area.
Hidden in the middle of a quiet block, away from the street, the beautiful redwood-clad townhouse is one of six units surrounding a beautiful and secure atrium filled with plants, trees, and a trickling fountain. Enjoy the courtyard from the spacious front porch, then step inside:
- Full kitchen with all the standard cooking implements, oven, and microwave. Dining table seats 4 and can be expanded for 6. Stools for 2 at the counter.
- Living room furnished in tasteful Mid-century Modern style, like the rest of the house. Oak floors. There is a TV, but no cable service — instead, I leave you with an Apple TV and my Netflix account, giving you access to thousands of films and TV series and the ability to stream to the big screen whatever you want from your own device.
- 1.5 bathrooms. The full bathroom includes two sinks and a large shower with double head. Pocket walls separate toilet, sinks, and shower so multiple people can do their stuff in privacy.
- 2 bedrooms: one has a queen bed with a brand new, premium mattress; the other can accommodate 2–3 sleepers on a deluxe bed-height queen air mattress, very good twin mattress, and/or sofa. Both rooms have closets with plenty of space for hanging and shelving clothes.
- Sun room. Need to get some work done? Take it from us two freelancers: there is no better place to do it than from our desks overlooking the atrium. Wifi is included.
- Laundry room. Private washer and dryer. No coinage required!
- Backyard deck for lounging. Perfect spot for coffee in the morning sun.
- Parking: You can always find a free space nearby on the street where there are no permit requirements or time limits (except for street cleaning days).
After 2 years as an Airbnb host at our previous apartment, we recently moved here and it's a major upgrade. I can guarantee this is an experience you'll never get in a hotel. It's the kind of place that makes Airbnb great.
The entire townhome is yours alone during your stay. You also have access to the atrium and backyard which is shared with 5 other units.
Interaction with Guests
We will not be living in the unit during your stay. We’ll keep in close contact by email.
Enjoy the Bay Area from a tranquil but central homebase. You'll be in the heart of Rockridge, a safe and pleasant East Bay neighborhood nestled between uptown Oakland and Berkeley. Just a short walk from your door is a BART station, from which you can reach San Francisco in about 20 minutes. But you'll want to stick around Rockridge too. Next to the property is a wooded park with a walking trail and playground. Within a few blocks are the most interesting stretches of Telegraph and College Avenues with excellent bakeries, cafés, restaurants, shops, and the great Temescal Farmer's Market, one of the best in the Bay.
Check out the map below and search for Rockridge on StreetAdvisor to learn more about the neighborhood.
BART is the Bay Area’s main mass transit system. The Rockridge station is a 10 minute walk from the condo. Street parking on our safe street is readily available.
Public transit: Getting here is easy on the BART. You can take it directly from SFO airport with no transfers to Rockridge station and walk just 3.5 blocks.
Driving: The property is just around the corner from the Claremont exit on Highway 24.
Other Things to Note
A note for those with cat allergies: we live here part time with a shorthair cat. She won't be in the condo during your stay, and floors and upholstery will be deep cleaned. We just want to let you know in case you have a severe cat allergy.
No smoking is allowed on the premises. If this policy sounds like good news to you, this is a good spot for you.
No dogs. Cats and other small pets are ok on approval.
Please draw the curtains after dark (the light is bothersome to neighbors across the atrium) and keep the doors locked when away.
Everything in the house (books, computer printer/scanner/monitor, cooking and cleaning supplies) is there for your use. Just treat everything as if it was yours and return it where you found it.
More info in the guide which will be sent prior to your arrival.
I'm a writer and designer with a specialization in typography. Laura is an illustrator and lettering artist.
The beauty of the freelance life is that we can work from wherever we are, so we try to take full advantage and travel as much as possible. In the last 3 years we have have visited Stockholm, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Lisbon, Barcelona, Sardinia, New York, Chicago, Santa Fe, and Sun Valley in a little nation called Idaho. We often rent our Oakland and Berlin homes while we’re away, and we’re open to apartment swapping as well.
As Airbnb hosts ourselves we make good guests. We are quiet, courteous, and friendly. We prefer exploring city architecture and visiting museums more than late night barhopping.