Situated about 1.5 hours from New York City, you can easily reach our cozy beach cottage by train or car. By train: take the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) to Mastic-Shirley (followed by a quick cab ride); by car the house is accessible via the Long Island Expressway (LIE) and Sunrise Highway.
Fire Island and Ocean beaches can be accessed by foot, bike, or car by crossing over the nearby Smith Point Bridge. We suggest either car or bike as our house is located about 4 miles from Smith Point beach (also called Smith Point County Park):
The house is located between Forge River and the famous Mastic Seafood, and a 25-minute drive will bring you to Long Island wine country or the Hamptons.
Two guest rooms and an additional Japanese sleeping loft are available for weekday rental for up to six guests in a tastefully furnished house with a large backyard. The house may be available occasionally on weekends or holiday weekends (see updated calendar).
**Please note that if your party is 2 and you require 2 rooms (instead of 1), the rate will increase by $35 per night.
- Beautiful, cozy kitchen that’s great for cooking, complete with dishwasher and all necessary utensils for cooking (including BBQ tools)
- Bathroom is shared between North & South guest rooms
- Comfortable living room with sofa, large chairs, TV (Roku available so you can use Netflix or Hulu; there is no cable), & iPod/iPhone stereo connection (works with iphone 3 & 4/4S)
- 4 bikes available for use
- Indoor dining room with seating for 8
- Outdoor dining room with seating for 6
- Newly remodeled outdoor deck with loungy seating (very comfy!)
- Large grassy fenced-in yard shaded by mature oak trees and landscaped grounds
- Hammock (weather permitting)
- Deck with gas BBQ and outdoor dining (seating for 8)
- Outdoor shower (great for washing sand off after the beach)
- Clean bed & bath linens included
- Soap and shampoo included
- Free wi-fi
- Parking available in driveway
- Quiet and peaceful neighborhood
GUEST ROOM CONFIGURATION:
- South Room: 1 Full Size Bed (sleeps 2), and desk
- North Room: 1 Queen Size Bed (sleeps 2), TV with DVD player (no cable)
- Traditional Japanese Sleeping Loft (sleeps 2): Accessed by library ladder, Japanese Tatami mat floors (very comfortable!), sleeping bags and pillows provided
- Air mattress available upon request
- Smith Point Beach: features miles of pristine undeveloped and protected oceanfront shoreline on Fire Island National Seashore with white sand beach ideal for swimming, surfing, fishing, and hiking along the Otis Pike High Dunes nature trail.
- Southaven County Park: features 1,356 acres of hiking trails, mountain biking, picnicking, freshwater fishing, rowboat & kayaking, and horseback riding.
- Wertheim Wildlife Refuge: estuary consisting of aquatic habitats and pine barren habitats for wildlife viewing of over 300 species of birds and winter home to over 5,000 waterfowl.
- Manor of St. George Museum: Homestead of William “Tangier” Smith granted by patent in 1693 by Governor Fletcher of New York. The manor house functions as a museum displaying furnishings and paintings dating back to the early 1700’s and a family burial site.
- Floyd Estate Museum: Homestead of eight generations of the Floyd family including William Floyd, signer of the Declaration of Independence. The Estate features a 25-room manor house built in 1718 and has over 35 acres of protected forests, fields, marshes, trails, and a family burial site.
(website hidden)(email hidden)m
- Long Island Wineries (in the North Fork)
- Antique Shopping: Barntique Village
- Splish Splash Water Park (opening day May 26)
- Atlantis Aquarium
- Mastic Seafood
- For a complete guide to Suffolk county beaches, amusement parks, wineries, parks, aquariums, historic sites, zoos, lighthouses, visit:
- The Hamptons (Westhampton, Southampton, Easthampton) shopping, dining, golfing all accessible by car (25-50 minutes)
ACCOMMODATION, PRICING & TERMS:
Rates are seasonal and based on occupancy (max occupancy 6) and number of rooms being used. $175 is for 2 rooms and up to 4 people. Guest staying longer than 4 nights must agree to allow owners access to house for maintenance and checking on the house's overall condition. Owners will announce presence 16-24 hours in advance via Aribnb e-mail.
HOUSE RULES - IMPORTANT
1) No pets allowed inside or out.
2) No smoking. If you smoke, please do so outside away from any open windows, and dispose of finished cigarettes.
3) NO SHOES inside the house, ever (please leave your shoes in the front entryway).
4) DO NOT FLUSH anything other than toilet paper in the toilet. The pipes in Long Island are not as big as in New York city! In fact, it's best to flush twice when doing a #2.
5) Do not use more than 1 appliance at a time, on the shelf in laundry area. If you do, you will trip the breaker. (Summer only: be sure to turn off the air conditioner if you need to use the microwave or the toaster oven).
6) Please turn A/C off when you leave the house; Please turn the laundry room A/C off at night (but okay to leave living room fans on).
7) If you use the BBQ, make sure to turn the valves on the gas tank off, after turning the actual BBQ off. After the BBQ cools down, put the cover back on. BBQ tools are located on the back shelf in the laundry area, inside a black case.
8) Parties are not allowed. Respect our neighbors by lowering loud music after 11pm.
9) Keep the property and all furnishings in good order and treat the home with the utmost respect, leaving the house reasonably clean upon your departure.
10) Please dispose of trash in the garbage bins in the backyard (out the back door and past the deck, by the fence. Please recycle glass, metal, and plastic containers (separate recyclables in a separate plastic bag) and place in the bin outside.
11) There is no daily housekeeping service. While linens and bath towels are included, daily maid service is not included in the rental rate. Please bring your own beach towels. Do not remove towels or linens from the home.
12) No refunds will be given for storms unless cancelation fall within stated cancellation policy.
13) If you are renting on a Sunday night and check in before 7pm, the owners may be present. We will not be in your way, but please note that common areas (kitchen, living room) may be shared.
* Please check out my guidebook - click on the map!
* To print out the full guidebook, click here:
Felicia and Johnny have created a wonderful home. Their care and pride of ownership are evident in every beautiful and creative detail. They have appointed it with anything you might need to enjoy your stay on Long Island. Our trip was shortened due to a family death so we didn't have time to explore this special place. We'll return, only when Felicia and Johnny can host us again - they are lovely people offering their lovely home.
This is such a wonderful house. Super clean, beautiful and with everything you need. The garden is great and we loved the hammock.
Nice area with an amazing beach just a short drive away.
Everything was just as nice as the pictures (and even nicer). Communication was fast and smooth.
Felicia is a great host! Although we didnt meet she always kept in touch via eMail. Her Guidebook and all the advice was great to feel not unsecure in another peoples home. The house itself was really perfect. The garden is huge, the decoration tasteful and all the things we could use made the stay feel like home. We enjoyed the hammok, the Barbecue and the small Lounge.Smithpoint beach is a really nice, clean beach. But I recommend driving by car, there. Highly recommend! Dont Forget to bring something against mosquitos!
We absolutely LOVED this home - everything was perfect, down to every last detail. My boyfriend and I stayed for four nights and it was the perfect relaxing getaway from the city that we needed. Great place to get to the beach, the wineries, or just lounge around the house and enjoy the beautiful backyard. They recommend having a car for good reason I think, but we didn't bring one (rented one for a day for wineries) and did just fine. We hope to get back here again next summer!
My girl friends and I had a great weekend away from home. The house was in pristine condition and had all things we needed for a perfect summertime BBQ. We particularly enjoyed the outdoor spaces and Japanese sleeping loft! Would recommend for anyone who needs a break from urban life!
Johnny and Felicia were great hosts! And, the house looked exactly as it did in the pictures. It was super clean.
My family and I had a wonderful time in Mastic and Long Island. The cottage is lovely and Felicia and Johnny decorated it with a lot of taste. There's a nice collection of books and magazines, some beautiful artwork and many nice details throughout the house.
It felt so good to be awaken by the birds singing and not the alarm clock. We enjoyed having a morning coffee on the terrace, the back yard is a real gem. The outdoor shower is the best!
Two nights at this house was all too short. The yards, all three of them, were lovely. Everything was clean and the decor has character... no generic Ikea stuff. The area is nice and peaceful.
Four of us, two couples, stayed here for 2 nights and had the perfect getaway from the city. The house is airy, bright, and curated to be the ideal home away from home (from mementos to simple useful household items I never knew I was missing form my own life!).
Felicia was extremely communicative and provided all needed guides and information - F&J are experienced but easygoing hosts, which made our stay even more relaxing (even though we felt that we can always reach out to our hosts for anything, they already had everything prepared!)
It was easy to love and feel at home in a place that is so clearly loved by its owners - we'd love to come back for sure!
We had an amazing time in Felicia and Johnny's cosy cottage.
Felicia is a great host and makes sure her guests feel comfortable and have everything they needed. Highly recommended!