Stylish, light & spacious 3 bedroom apartment (sleeping 6-8 people) in Amsterdam’s hippest neighbourhood. A national monument built around 1790 and completely renovated in 2007. In the 1820s it was home to Multatuli, Holland’s most famous author.
Living room with view of 17th century houses, flat screen tv, dvd player + selection of dvds, ipod dock
The house has retained its historical details, yet offers every modern comfort and convenience. It features beamed ceilings throughout, wooden stairs and the traditional Dutch steeply slanted roof in the attic bedroom.
The spacious living room is on the first level with a large open kitchen and dining area. On the second level there are two bedrooms and two bathrooms. The master bedroom is located at the back of the house, with an ensuite bathroom. The second bedroom has an original wooden floor with three large windows overlooking the street. The shower room is next door. The third bedroom, in the attic, has the possibility to sleep up to 4 people with two twin beds and two optional sofabeds.
The apartment comprises the top half of the house and is completely independent, accessed through its own front door and up two flights of stairs. It has two internal flights of stairs. In historic buildings in Amsterdam many of the staircases are steeper than most people are used to. When the houses in this area were built there was a tax on the width of the building resulting in tall, narrow houses with steep stairs. The flights are between moderately steep and steep and are not suitable for people with limited mobility. Stair gates can be installed if you are travelling with small children.
• UNESCO World Heritage area
• Official short stay permit
• Check in at apartment
• 3 bedrooms (sleeping 6-8)
• 2 bathrooms
• Spacious living room
• 2 Flatscreen TVs
• Cable reception
• DVD/CD with selection of DVDs
• i-pod connectivity
• Sound system
• High speed WiFi internet
• English guide books + maps
• Double glazing
• Large open kitchen
• Complete kitchen inventory
• Nespresso machine + pods
• Washing machine/dryer
• Iron and ironing board
• Bed linen from the White Company, London
• Luxurious thick white towels
• NO SMOKING
• NO PARTY POLICY
• Child safety is low due to steep stairs but stairgates can be installed (see above)
• Baby cot and highchair available on request
This apartment sleeps a maximum of 8 persons (above 3 years) on:
1 room with 1 queen / 2 twins
2 rooms with 1 king / 2 twins
2 optional sofa beds
1 Queen-size bed (160 x 200 cm)
OR two single beds (80 x 200 cm)
King-size bed (180 x 200 cm)
OR 2 single beds (90 x 200 cm)
King-size bed (180 x 200 cm)
OR 2 single beds (90 x 200 cm)
plus 2 optional single sofa beds (120 x 200 cm)
Shower room shared by attic and front bedrooms. Back bedroom has ensuite bathroom.
A baby cot is available on request, plus a high chair.
Please let us know your preferred bed configuration once you've confirmed the booking. Most bedding is down/feather. If you are allergic we can provide synthetic bedding.
The Multatuli Apartment is a completely self contained apartment with its own front door. Exclusive use of 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, large living room and kitchen.
Interaction with Guests
We live downstairs in the other half of the house so we're on hand to help with any aspect of your stay before you arrive and once you're here to help you make the most of your stay in Amsterdam. We live here and we love it here so we can give you lots of recommendations in the neighbourhood!
You will find yourself in a quiet side street of the Canal district by the Jordaan, with everything you need just around the corner. From little cafes and restaurants, a great bakery and an Italian coffee bar, to all kinds of traiteurs, shops and supermarkets. There are two weekly organic markets within 5 minutes walk (Wednesdays and Saturdays).
There’s a bike rental at the end of our street. It’s just a short train ride from the airport and the station is only 7 minutes walk from the apartment so it’s very quick to get here. Amsterdam is a small city and it’s very easy to get around on foot or by bike or of course by boat!
Binnen Brouwersstraat is located in a beautiful area of the northern Jordaan, a small side street at the top of the Keizersgracht canal, between the Brouwersgracht canal (voted the most beautiful street in Amsterdam) and the Haarlemmerstraat (voted the Best Shopping Street in the Netherlands) which features a huge range of restaurants and cafes, speciality shops and an art-house cinema. The famous weekly organic food and flea markets at the Noordermarkt are just around the corner. The quirky boutiques of the 9 streets and the Jordaan are within easy walking distance, as are the green spaces of the Westerpark.
NEARBY POINTS OF INTEREST:
Please note that cycling time or public transport is about 1/3 of walking time:
• Jordaan – 1 minute walking
• 2 Supermarkets open 8am-10pm every day – 1 minute walking
• Cafés, restaurants and bars – 1 minute walking
• Noordermarkt (organic market Sat) – 5 minutes walking
• Haarlemmerplein (organic market Wed) – 5 minutes walking
• Central Station – 7 minutes walking
• Westerkerk/Anne Frank House – 10 minutes walking
• Westerpark – 12 minutes walking
• 9 Streets Area – 12 minutes walking
• Dam Square – 14 minutes walking
• Nieuwmarkt – 16 minutes walking
• Leidseplein – 25 minutes walking
• Rijksmuseum/Van Gogh Museum – 31 minutes walking
Amsterdam is a small city and from our central location most of the main sights can be reached easily on foot. Amsterdam Centraal Station is just 7 minutes walk away. There are numerous trams within a few minutes walk. But the best way to get around the city is to rent a bike! There is a bike rental shop in our street and it costs €10 a day, less per day the longer you rent. We can also advise on boat rental and tours.
Amsterdam Schiphol Airport is the closest airport, only 15 minutes away on the train. The apartment is a 7 minute walk from Amsterdam Centraal Station. There are frequent trains (every 5-15 minutes) from the airport to Central Station and a tickets costs about €4 per person. You can also take a taxi from the airport (taxi vans can take 6-8 people + luggage) which will cost around €40-45 euros.
Other Things to Note
Rates include linen, weekly cleaning and linen change for stays of 10 nights or more, utilities and wifi internet.
Full of history, the house was built around 1790 and is a national monument. In the 1820s it was home to the young Multatuli, Holland’s most famous author. You can visit the museum dedicated to him a few streets away in the house of his birth and the large statue of him on the Torensluis bridge on the Singel canal.
Strictly NO SMOKING, NO PARTIES, no pets.
We live downstairs and are happy to help with any queries about the apartment and/or Amsterdam!
1. Please treat the apartment as if it were your own apartment, and keep in mind you have neighbours. You are on holiday but our neighbours live here and in this densely populated neighbourhood we all have to be considerate of one another.
2. The apartment is a regular home not an after hours club, so no parties, no drugs, no loud music/TV, etc. In case of complaints from neighbours and/or owners, we have the right to remove you from the apartment. Police will fine when complaints are made after 23:00 or before 09:00.
3. At time of departure: make sure the apartment is in the same state as when you arrived (apart from bed linen and towels), the furniture is in the same location as when you arrived, the dishes are done, all the rubbish (also from bedrooms and bathrooms) is bagged and left in the kitchen, and the oven, hob and fridge/freezer are clean. If the apartment is found not to reach these requirements, an additional cleaning fee of at least €50 will be deducted from your deposit.
4. Smoking of any kind is not allowed in the apartment, even out of the window. We will fine €100 for smoking plus any associated cleaning costs.
5. Drugs are not allowed in the apartment.
6. Pets are not allowed in the apartment.
7. All keys must be returned upon departure. Failure to do so will incur a replacement fee of €200 per set of keys.
8. Guests must immediately inform us of any defects in the apartment and damages that occur in the apartment. If we are not informed of defects, we cannot be held liable for resulting damage to personal items.
9. Maximum of 8 guests (excluding babies).
10. The apartment will usually be available from around 2-3pm and must be vacated by 10-11am. Early check in and/or late check out will depend on the departure/arrival of the groups before and/or after your stay. Whenever possible, we are happy to look after your luggage before the apartment is ready for you and after you check out.
11. We reserve the right to vacate you from the apartment immediately and without refund if these House Rules are broken.
The apartment was incredible in every aspect.
Dealing with Joanna in making the booking was very smooth and easy. Every communication was clear and very quick.
The apartment itself is stunning. There were 8 of us, needing 6 beds. Everything was ready for us exactly how we requested and check in couldn't have been easier.
We all felt like we were home from the first moment we walked in.
Comfortable, and spacious. Even for 8 people.
I strongly recommend this place to everyone.
De verhuurder heeft steeds snel gereageerd als ik vragen had over de accomodatie.
De verhuurder dacht mee en gaf ook tips om het verblijf te veraangenamen.
L'appartement de Joanna et MP est merveilleux! Beau, grand, confortable, il est en plus extraordinairement situé, dans un quartier typique, à la fois calme et branché. L'accueil de Joanna est parfait, et attentionné jusqu'au bout (adresses dans le quartier, dépôt des valises chez elle...). On ne peut que recommander!
We hebben genoten van het prachtige huis in een mooie, centrale omgeving. Het was 4 dagen lang een luxe om na het bezoeken van de vele bezienswaardigheden in dit huis te komen, te kokkerellen en gezellig samen te zijn. Het huis heeft alles wat je nodig hebt.
De eigenaars zijn zeer vriendelijk en behulpzaam.
Hier komen de 5 vriendinnen zeker nog eens terug!
I’m coming each year in the same time to Amsterdam to a different apartment,
After visiting Joanna’s' I’m sure that it’s the best apartment we used...
The host was charming, everything written is accurate and then some...
Great space! Great comfy beds and excellent Linens and towels,
Very large modern kitchen and even an nesspresso coffee machine
The area was lovely
We will defiantly be back!!!
An ideally appointed, clean and comfortable appartment within a few minutes walking from the centre of the city with all necessary appurtenances to make one's stay memorable. Joanna and Mark are a friendly and welcoming couple who provided us will the supplementary information to make are overal stay in Amsterdam a resounding success. Wholeheartedly recommend this establishment.
This is our second stay at this venue and yet again, an enjoyable experience. This is a fantastic place to stay with very helpful hosts. I would recommended this venue for your stay in Amsterdam. Thanks!
Joanna is from London and runs her own business (importing children's Micro scooters to the Netherlands). MP is from Amsterdam and is a professional pianist. In 2006 we bought our house from an old lady who had lived there for 38 years. We completely renovated it and now live with our two young daughters in the bottom half of the house, renting out the separate apartment in the top half. We love Amsterdam! We can tip you off about local hangouts that you have to live here to know about and all the highlights that you really ought to see. This is the best area of the city to live in, that's why we picked it! Everything we need is right on our doorstep, we hardly ever have to leave our 'hood. You'll love it here too!