A private, cosy, fully-furnished room; shared bathroom, kitchen, and dining area. Very safe and convenient area - 5 min from public transport, museums, major tourist attractions, libraries, the UN
As advertised, this is a listing for a PRIVATE ROOM:
- Yes, this is your own private room, you won't be sharing the bedroom space with me
- Yes, you will be sharing the kitchen, bathroom, and dining area
- No, this is not a listing for the entire apartment
TOP FIVE REASONS TO RENT THIS ROOM
1. Dream New York location: CLOSE TO EVERYTHING!
2. See the amazing colors of the Empire State right from your window!
3. Unbeatable, high-end mattress: perfect place to relax after a long day/night of NYC fun
4. Steps away from Grand Central, United Nations, Times Square, Empire State, NY Public Library and Bryant Park and public transportation: 5 min walk to subway lines at Grand Central Station and Metro North
5. Walking distance to both Broadway theaters AND hip East Village hang-outs - the public transportation system is great, but there are constant changes and closures: this is one way you can be completely self-reliant while in town
MORE REASONS IF YOU ARE STILL NOT FULLY CONVINCED:
THIS IS YOUR IDEAL CHOICE IF YOU WANT:
- an affordable place in the very center of Manhattan
- a quiet space to study, with plenty of privacy (and you are welcome to explore our library collection of 2000+ volumes)
- to have an easy access to all major NYC's attractions
- to go home quickly after a night on the town
- no hassle, quick access to upstate/out-of-state trains or shuttle buses from Grand Central
- the full variety of top restaurants within a walking distance
- over 100 delis and coffee shops within a 2-10 minutes walk
- Cozy, fully furnished private bedroom
- Fully furnished means a comfortable bed, closet, desk and chair, book-shelf, and hangers
- Fresh linens - bedding, sheets, towels are provided for your disposal
- No, the room is not shared.
- No, you will not be sleeping on a couch in the living room. You do get a private room with a queen size bed (with brand new mattress!) and a view of the Empire State Building.
- Yes, the bathroom and kitchen are shared. Please, feel free to use the fridge, grab a cup of coffee and display your skills as a gourmet chef.
- Yes, this is one of the safest areas in town. Go out and come back 24/7 without worries or concerns
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THE APARTMENT:
Free wireless internet access (secure) and utilities are included in the price, NO THERE ARE NO HIDDEN FEES
Electric fan, iron, ironing board, hairdryer, hair curler are all available for you to use - just ask!
Walk-up building, the apartment is on the 4th floor; no doorman, laundry in the basement
Paid parking across the street
Breakfast and laundry services available at additional fee
Additional guests can be accommodated at extra fee
kitchen, dining area, and of course bathroom
Great neighborhood - very convenient and safe: You can get to anywhere in no time and at any time of the day and night. You can also get food/groceries 24/7
All modes of public transportation right outside the door or within a 5 min walk. The closest subway stop is at Grand Central, lines 4,5,6, 7 and S.
Thank you for your booking!
I look forward to welcoming you here. The rules - there are not many, but they are very important to me:
1. At your EARLIEST, please let me know your estimated arrival and departure times. I try to be as flexible as possible and accommodate various arrival and departure times, BUT
2. Very sorry, you can't check-in before 9 a.m. and after 11 p.m. Also, if you think you are running late - please text/email/call me. Please be mindful of my extremely tight New-Yorker-like schedule. This also means: if you are more than 4 hours late, you need to contact me and make alternative check-in arrangements.
3. NO SHOES in the apartment - it is very unnerving when people overlook this and I have to remind them when they come in. This is my home and I like to keep it clean.
4. No smoking in the apartment
5. To the best of your ability, please maintain the room clean. This especially means: please don't leave your lovely hair in the sink and the bathtub!
6. I never thought I would need to say this, but here it comes: PLEASE PUT YOUR CHEWING GUM IN THE TRASH
You can arrange for daily cleaning service (and laundry) at an additional fee
If you need anything, please ask!
Meena has a beautiful home and was incredibly accommodating. Would absolutely stay with her again.
My stay at Meena's apartment was a great introduction to New York City life, thanks to its location and Meena's helpfulness as a host.
Before I arrived she gave very good directions from the airport and it was easy to find the apartment and operate the intercom. She also gave great info on local places like the grocery store and places to eat.
The apartment itself was very clean and had everything you'd need for a short stay in New York, such as a well-equipped kitchen, good Wifi connection, and a big enough bedroom with double bed and a desk. It was very well heated to cope with the New York winter!
The location of the apartment is great for sightseeing, with the UN, grand central, Empire State and Times Square all within a 20 min walk.
All in all I'd recommend a stay at Meena's if you're getting to know New York.
I stayed with Meena for 6 days while visiting my friend in New York (she didn't live in the city and I didn't want to commute from her place). Meena was very welcoming and helpful. I didn't see her as much, which was okay. She also let my friend stay with me for an additional fee which was not bad at all so we got to spend more time together since she didn't have to commute back and forth to her house. The room was exactly as described and the bed was comfy as well. The apartment was kept nice and warm too. All in all, this was a great first visit to New York and I will definitely be back again! Thanks so much Meena!
I had an excellent night at this apartment. The location was very central. The listing was exactly as described. Meena was welcoming and willing to meet me earlier than her specified time.
We hadden een hele leuke tijd in New York! Het verblijf was super! Meena is een hele vriendelijke en gastvrije vrouw, die ons de nodige vrijheid gaf! Zeker een aanrader om te blijven logeren! Je ligt ook heel centraal, waardoor je vlot de metro kan nemen in Grand Central en van daaruit New York ontdekken. In het appartement zelf zijn de nodige basismaterialen (handdoeken, douchegel, keuken,...) aanwezig waar je gebruik van mag maken.
Nice appartment very well located in the heart of Manhattan. I did not see Meena a lot during the week end but she was very nice when she welcomed me.
The apartment is clean, but it has nothing else that is remarkable. Taking into account its location and the apartment in general, the price should be lower. There are three points that are negative for us because they did not allow to sleep as good as we would wish :
1. The heating system is very noisy and Meena told us that there is nothing that can be done to fix that
2. The bed is too soft. It needs to be changed
3. Currently there are noisy construction works next to the apartment
Besides, the description says that the Empire can be seen from the bedroom. Even if it is true, if you want to see it, you have to force the neck for it.
However, the worst thing about our stay in Meena's apartment, was that she has requested us to pay her 70$ because she says that we have made scratches in one of her wardrobes. This is not true, and if it was she could have said so when we said goodbye to her.
Summing up, if we forgot about this last issue, our opinion would be that the apartment is too price for the location and confort that it offers. However, taking into acoount everything, this has been our worst experience in an airbnb apartment. During our stay in New York we have stayed in other apartment and it was cheaper and much better, and with a nicer host. Our recommendation is to search for a better place to stay.
To everyone who might be reading Jon's review:
Please note that the review was written AFTER I filed a complaint with Airbnb for damage to my furniture. Since the guest still refuses to claim responsibility (despite the indisputable evidence to the contrary) it is of course to be expected that he will leave a negative review and will find all sorts of faults with the room and his experience. However, for the sake of the argument and so as to reassure you of the irrelevance/faultiness of his statements, I will address the issues brought up:
1. The heating: This is not my responsibility. As standard for most Manhattan buildings and apartments, this unit has central heating which means heating cannot be adjusted directly. Of course, the good old fashioned way of cooling down the room by opening the window works perfectly for me!
2. The bed: the mattress was purchased two years ago (happy to show the receipt to whoever interested) and pretty much all my guests (close to a 100 at this point) have loved the bed. I guess the softness/hardness is a personal preference and I have no plans of replacing something that I myself and so many others find extremely comfortable. And I can guarantee is that this mattress is 100% better than the majority of medium-priced hotels in New York.
3. Construction. So yes, this is the center of the center of one of the busiest and wealthiest cities in the world. There is construction everywhere and I have no control over that either. Newsflash: if you don't want to hear construction noise do not come to New York in the foreseeable future. There are new buildings sprawling everywhere. And yes, at the moment it is probably hard to see the Empire State from the window, but you can still WALK to it in less than 10 minutes. I would think first hand experiences are always better than remote viewing.
4. Price. This is the holiday season and - indeed - New York gets a bit pricey. If you want cheaper rates, come in January! But, for the sake of the argument: Let's just consider the room rentals right across the street for my building: the charge 300% higher for a unit comparable to mine (without the books and expensive furniture of course). And, by the way, if you opt for a place across the street with a significantly higher price, you will:
i) still have to deal with the construction,
ii) the heat, and
iii) you will definitely not be able to see the Empire State
For the record:
i) Airbnb found sufficient proof of evidence for damage done and I was compensated for Jon's carelessness.
ii) The $70 USD that I received for the damage to my furniture are not even close to covering the aggravation and disappointment of having to deal with someone so irresponsible and immature.
Last but not least: This is my home and everything about it makes me happy and comfortable. But as much as I want to share this experience with my guests (and it has been a fabulous experience thus far!), I do hope never to have another Jon experience!
This host has 4 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews