About this listing
This is a spacious, bright and private one-bedroom apartment in a quiet uptown neighborhood with loads of amenities. It's within easy walking distance of lots of restaurants, shops and bars, and accessible to the French Quarter by streetcar.
Apartment is the whole front half of a ca. 1905 shotgun with porch overlooking quiet street.
Please drop us a note and let us know what you're looking for and if you have any questions! We'll respond promptly.
• This is the front half of a two-unit 1905 shotgun home. (We live in the back.)
• About 1,000 square feet, not counting a front porch that's ideal for morning coffee or afternoon cocktail.
• Large living room and dining area, kitchen, private bedroom (not the typical shotgun walk-through), small bathroom with tub & shower combo.
• Cypress floors; twelve-foot ceilings; nine-foot front windows.
• In a lovely neighborhood on a peaceful side street facing a row of cypress trees.
• Has a queen bed in the bedroom, plus a day bed/trundle bed in the living room that could sleep an additional two people. (The trundle is essentially a split-level double.)
• Best for two people, but could accommodate four.
• Sorry: no smoking, no pets.
• Families live close by on either side, so this makes a lousy place for parties. But several bars — Le Bon Temps, Henry's, Kingpin, St. Joe's and Tipitina's — are all within walking distance.
• It's a beautiful, shady 20-minute walk to Audubon Park and Tulane and Loyola Universities.
• Wet bar (BYOB).
• Central A/C.
• Plenty of street parking in front.
• Kitchen with brick counter tops, microwave, full-sized fridge, gas stove, toaster, dishwasher, coffee maker, basic pots and pans, glassware, dishes, flatware etc.
• Open wifi network.
• No television. (Thank us later.)
• Full-sized washer and dryer in apartment.
Generally we ask for a four night minimum, although that's flexible during certain times of the year.
It's your place; enjoy the apartment, the porch, the neighborhood. We sometimes have bikes to loan (beaters, nothing fancy) — inquire if you're interested.
Interaction with Guests
We live in the back half of the house, and are nearly always available if you have questions. We love this city, and are happy to point you toward our favorite restaurants, bars, and musicians. Want to be left alone? We're really good at that, too.
Our neighborhood is nicely self-contained — there's not much you can't find within 6-7 blocks, except tourists. We're a five-minute walk from St. James Cheese, the Prytania movie theater (the last single-screen theater in Louisiana), Upperline Restaurant, Pizza Domenica, Creole Creamery (ice cream), Wine Seller (for your adult beverage needs), La Thai Restaurant, Kyoto (sushi), and Zara's, a small neighborhood grocery store with homemade sausage and a selection of prepared foods. A huge Whole Foods (in a former streetcar barn) is a 12 minute walk. Our neighborhood has a Walk Score of 88, which seems absurdly low.
The St. Charles streetcar with its ca. 1928 rolling stock is a seven-minute walk from the house; the less charming but more efficient Magazine St. bus is five minutes. Both go directly to the French Quarter in 20-30 minutes, door-to-door. Fare: $1.25.
Taxis are relatively easy to come by except during major events (Mardi Gras, Jazz Fest, downpours). Uber has been fairly reliable since it launched here in early 2015. Either mode, figure on $12-$15 from here to the French Quarter.
Bikes: Ask. (We often have a couple we can loan.)
Foot: It's a four-mile, 75-minute walk from here to our favorite French Quarter bar. And it's a beautiful walk — through Uptown, Garden District, Lower Garden District, and Central Business District. You can walk through residential neighborhoods, past the mansions of St. Charles Ave, or along the shops of Magazine St. Or weave among all three. We've learned that a long walk to the French Quarter makes for an exceedingly tasty first drink.
Other Things to Note
NOTE: No short-term rentals between June 1 and October 15.
No smoking, no pets. And no parties — families live next door and we have friends on the block. We want to keep the peace. (Our neighbors know what we're up to rental-wise and are OK with it, so you needn't feel sneaky when you come and go.)
From Jun 01, 2016 - Mar 31, 2017 the minimum stay is 30 nights.
Bright, spacious living area with trundle bed (slides out from below) to accommodate an additional two guests.