About this listing
Welcome! Loki the cat & I love hosting our guests in our cozy Brooklyn abode & private rooftop! Note: Please MESSAGE BEFORE BOOKING in order to work out details and tell me about yourself! This is my home (I actually live here) so before I can accept your booking, I need to find somewhere else to stay. In the app, scroll down to "CONTACT HOST" and write your message there. Thank you! Otherwise I will *need to decline* to give myself time to work out details.
**Welcome to AirBnB! Just so you know, it's customary for the guest and host to message back and forth BEFORE making booking requests! This get-to-know-each-other process is essential to the trust and safety aspects of AirBnB. :) Also since this is my actual home and I do have a Mon-Fri job, midweek bookings can be challenging on short notice. Messaging in advance help me make appropriate arrangements.**
Bushwick today is the Greenwich Village of back-in-the-day, when Simon and Garfunkle were writing the 59th Street Bridge Song and how "$50 pays your rent on Bleeker Street". Well, the value of money has changed, but the tradition of artists and musicians moving into run-down neighborhoods and making them cool has not. Bushwick is full-swing in the midst of this change, and when you stay in this lovely, homey apartment you'll be able to check it out for yourself, and tell your grandchildren, "I was there when Bushwick had soul! Now it's all Starbucks and American Apparel!"
My household, of course, was part of the vanguard of artists and musicians who lead to a cheap neighborhood becoming cool and ultimately gentrifying. I have seen that change before my eyes, and the neighborhood, while still retaining its Brooklyn grittiness, is safe and clean. We're close to the J and M trains, so it's quick to get to midtown or downtown Manhattan or the Lower East Side, a hotspot for live music and nightlife. We also have a private rooftop where we chill out under Christmas lights on balmy evenings (and where smokers can go to feed their addiction).
Note: this listing is for the entire apartment. The master bedroom and the guest bedroom each have a queen-sized bed, and the couch in the living room pulls out into a double bed as well. (I also love sleeping on it as-is! This works ffor anyone ) I normally rent out the two bedrooms separately (the guest room at all times and the master bedroom occasionally as well)--however, when I go on vacation the entire apartment is available! If you'd like to rent the just one bedroom check out my other listings, but understand that this is only possible when I am in town.
This also means: FREE CAT FOR THE DURATION OF YOUR STAY! :) Loki is my adorable, hilarious and only occasionally cantankerous Russian Blue. I often have guests say, "I don't normally like cats but your cat is really cool." He has dealt with the constant flow of visitors with spunk and grace--for the most part. Change is hard for cats and that is why I want to allow him to stay in his own home, even when I am not there. Thus, any visitors booking the entire apartment must promise to feed and care for him in a normal manner. Don't worry, it's not hard! If you have never had a cat before you will be amazed at how easy they are to care for. Feel free to ask me any questions about this. :)
NB: Before we finalize your booking, PLEASE SEND INFORMATION ABOUT EACH GROUP MEMBER (name + age + 1 other thing such vocation or hobby is nice). These are the people allowed to come over. Exceptions can be made, but talk to me about it. Remember, this is my actual home, not a hotel. I like to know who's in it--I'm sure you would, too. :)
Bath towels, bed linens, and other normal household items are provided and available for use! Ask me if you have any specific needs.
Parking: free street parking readily available.
Nearby trains: J, M and Z trains at Central Ave (M), Kosciusko St (J) or Myrtle-Broadway (all)
Nearby busses: B
Internet: (website hidden): well, we watch it on the internet.
Phone: no phone; we stick with cell phones. It's easy to get a pre-paid cell phone while you're here if needed.
Other cool things nearby:
- Brooklyn Public Library
- Deli/bodega downstairs is the best one in the neighborhood!
- 24 hour natural-foods grocery Mr. Kiwi
- bars incuding Lone Wolf, Looking Glass, Gallery Bar, HappyFun Hideaway, Birdy's, Sunrise/Sunset and Bizarre
- Big, brand-new grocery store
Finally, please note that there is a security camera in a common area (after a guest invited over a bunch of drunk friends who damaged my things and did not pay!). I'm happy to tell you more details in person! Don't worry, I'm not a creeper. :)
There's not too many rules; just be respectful and clean up after yourself. Smokers will have to do their smoking outside (we have a private rooftop) and dispose of butts responsibly. And unfortunately, my new rug is suffering from all of the visitors, so please, no shoes on the rug.
NB: Before we finalize your booking, please send me name + age + 1 other detail (like vocation or hobby) about each member of your group. These are the only people allowed to come over. Exceptions can be made, but talk to me about it. (I especially love hosting parents coming to visit their nearby adult children--I will generally let you have those children over. But again, talk to me about it. :)
Please let me know and/or replace anything you use up or break (it's ok, it happens!), and put back anything you use or borrow. Also, we try to run a "green" household, so check out the manual for information on recycling and saving energy! Nothing too crazy, just the basics. :)
Finally, don't forget to feed the cat, scoop the litter occasionally, and water the plants! :)
Cancel up to 7 days before your trip and get a 50% refund plus service fees back.
This host has 140 reviews for other properties.View other reviews
Hi there! Thanks for checking out my listing. I genuinely love hosting guests and meeting people from all over the world--here's a few things about me just to start opening that door. :)
- I am an international citizen and love to travel. I have traveled in Europe quite a bit, especially Finland (where my mom is from) and Ireland (where I was born), and also a bit to France, a country I have always loved! (Et bien sur, je parle francais assez courramment... mais pas parfaitement. Tambien, estudio Espanol!)
- I am a pretty good cook, even though I don't have much time for cooking these days! I do enjoy eating healthy and have been learning a lot lately about raw foods and all kinds of ways you can support your health by eating various foods.
- After a variety of positions in business and non-profits, including a couple years working to raise awareness about human trafficking, I work in communications at a foundation working to increase and improve the US job market and promote positive impact investing. I care a lot about corporate social responsibility and I love my job!
- I LOVE reading and have so many books! I grew up without a TV and the habit of reading really stuck. :) But I also always have my latest Netflix fix...
- I am a Christian and usually like to start my day with a little quiet time, reading my Bible and writing in a prayer journal. But you don't need to have my beliefs to be welcome and comfortable in my house! I think diversity (of belief, race, orientation, nationality, whatever) is a blessing, and variety the spice of life! :)
- My favorite quote, and a motto of sorts, from Maya Angelou: "A woman in harmony with her spirit is like a river flowing. She goes where she will without pretense, and arrives at her destination prepared to be herself, and only herself."