Close to many of Vancouver's most popular attractions. Minutes from English Bay & Stanley Park. Safe DOWNTOWN location near Davie Village. Walk-able & transit friendly. Well suited for new beginnings, the business traveler and, vacation adventurer.
***PLEASE READ---->We enjoy sharing our home and feel it best to be open and detailed about what we offer. It is our goal to make your stay a pleasant one.
Hi there! We're a fun friendly couple renting extra bedroom(s) in Vancouver's most popular neighbourhood - The West End (Downtown).
We live modestly, the location is great, and space is ample considering most downtown dwellings. Well suited to new beginnings, new residents, the corporate business traveler and vacation adventurer. Also ideal for someone that needs more time to look for more permanent accommodation.
RENTAL RATE (Utilities Included)
Nightly: $60, additional guest $10.
Weekly: $400, additional guest $70.
Monthly: $1200, additional guest $150 (that's 675 each)
Cat/Small Pet: $50/month each as per building requirement
Deposit: Depends on length of stay
In addition, we do NOT charge cleaning costs or deposits of any kind for short-term rentals. You'll pay for the room plus a small amount to AirBnB (all hosts are required to make this charge) and that's it. Consider that hostel rates for similar private room start at $85-$100 per night. FYI: For our postal code AirBNB suggests we rent the room for $202/night!
- Private furnished master bedroom fits a queen bed, desk & sitting area comfortably
- English Bay area just a few blocks away - near Davie Village.
- Short walk to amazing variety of ethnic restaurants
- Safe during the day and at night
- Location is convenient and connects you to everything - public transit buses/trains, airport (30 min cab) & Terminal Station (train/greyhound hub)
- Bus stops for #6 & #C21 in front of building, #5 nearby
- Frequent buses to all downtown Skytrain stations (Expo or Canada Line) - Stations: Granville, City Central, Yaletown, Stadium/Chinatown, Burrard & Waterfront
- Short walking distance to sea-wall, famous Stanley Park, Sunset Beach and English Bay
-The West End neighbourhood is considered a walker's paradise, with a Walk Score of 94/100. Daily errands do not require a car.
- Grocery open till 3am, 24hr convenience stores
- Many 24 hour places to dine, party and lounge
- 3 swimming pools close by
- No lease, no take-over, end date flexible. Long-term rentals preferred & welcomed. Do happily consider short-term duration's.
ABOUT THE SPACE
- Available for long-term monthly starting *April 30th, 2014* - View calendar for available dates
- ★Two bedroom apartment (both for rent at this time★), one clean spacious bathroom to share. No traditional living/dining room as we live in that space. ★
- Due to our varying schedules we typically don't need to vie for the washroom
***While this provides an ideal opportunity for many to stay downtown at a more economical rate, we understand that it is not for everyone. We do try our best to make it work.***
- Dimensions (16'x11' Room 140sq/ft total; 13sq/m total)
- Large enough to fit a queen bed with sitting area with TV comfortably. Bachelor feel.
- Room is available furnished OR unfurnished - it's your call for long-term stays (queen bed, protective mattress cover, bedding, towels, bedside table, dresser, alarm clock/radio, lamps, cable TV, portable DVD player, desk, chair & sofa)
- Large east-facing window
- Beautiful north-west facing views of heritage building with mature landscaping, can see sliver of water and of course mountains.
- Meals not included. Many of our guests prefer to eat out at the many restaurants in the area
- Close to busy areas (NOT ideal for super light sleepers), but most people don't mind - prefer it even. Building is on/near main road, the suite is near the back of the building facing the gardens
- Equipped kitchen (microwave, toaster, blender, coffee maker etc)
- Utilities include: Heat, hydro, cable tv, wireless high speed (WiFi) internet, access to DVD Library
- Mini-walk in closet currently not available
- Laundry facilities in building, open 24hrs
- Pet friendly building, so don't be surprised to see some furry neighbours
- Guests okay with advance notice
- We ask that you clean up after yourself. Especially in common areas
- For stays of over a month chores/housekeeper rate negotiable
- Storage options available, separate bike storage
- Limited street parking, limited hours, but lot parking available nearby (ask for more info)
- No gender preference as long as it is a good fit
- Okay with international students/shift-workers
- Economically & mentally stable
- Have character references available
- Genuine, honest, easy going, mature
- Ideally, lived with roommates before, house-trained, clean, considerate etc.
- Friendly and willing to communicate your needs as living with happy people is always ideal :o)
- Non-party-animal, non-drama-queen
- Non-smoker, no drugs (it's your life but at least not at the appt.)
- Prepare own meals but we're pretty friendly so hopefully we can have dinner together from time to time.
- Heterosexual couple
- Work regular and odd hours
- We're late risers so there's generally no conflicts for the washroom
- Spiritual, easygoing, artsy, business focused, and friendly
- He's a social extrovert, she a natural deep thinking introvert (don't worry we do get along most of the time haha)
- We like outdoor activities like walking, tennis and cycling
- We try to be neat, but not OCD neat!
- We have enjoyed hosting people from all over the world, including Germany, Denmark, England, New Zealand, Australia & Canada
- We try to be as helpful as possible, and gladly steer our flat-mates in the right direction to experience an excellent Vancouver adventure.
- He's fluent in Armenian.
- Some of our past guests have brought their cats/dogs along, we loved having them
- We left the heavy partying long ago, but still like socializing
- Be aware that we are up in the middle of the night often, probably not the best for very light sleepers
- Non-vegetarian (but don't mind if you're not, we'll try to be respectful)
1) Please reply with a little bit of information about yourself and/or what you liked about this posting. 2) Please ask about anything that we did not cover. fyi)We like to speak with our long-term guests ahead of time, if possible. Just to get to know each other. We look forward to hearing from you - lets talk.
Best wishes on your search!
•°•°★★•°•°★★•°•°★•°♫♫ ★♫♫★♫♫•°★★•°•°★★•°•°★•°♫♫ •°•°★★•
NEW TO "The West End" NEIGHBOURHOOD?
Info below: About the Neighbourhood, Activities & Attractions, Popularity, Demographics, Local Lingo, Location, Vacancy, Borders of the West End
★♫♫•°★★•°•°★ ABOUT THE NEIGHBOURHOOD?
* The coast of the peninsula makes up Vancouver’s Sea Wall, which offers biking, rollerblading, walking, and running paths along the waters of the Burrard Inlet, False Creek and English Bay.
* Excellent location. Skytrain is short walk/bus ride away
* 10 min transportation or 20 min walking to downtown core
* Walking distance to the famous Robson Street Mall, Pacific Centre
* Water taxi that connects Sunset Beach to Granville Island/Public Market, Science World, False Creek, Yaletown and Vanier Park
* Short bus ride takes you to the hub of Kitsilano
* All downtown English language schools, BCIT, SFU, and VCC downtown campuses are 5-20min away
* Olympic size pool, workout room, and diving are available to use, at the Aquatic Center for a small fee
* Plenty of green spaces or cafes to enjoy to sit and read a book or go for a walk and enjoy the fantastic areas Vancouver has to offer
* Convenient store/pharmacy open 24 hrs, bank, variety of ethnic restaurants, gift shops, community center, library, movie theatre complex, internet cafes, hospital etc.
* "Davie Village" is home of the city's gay subculture and roughly includes the area between Burrard and Jervis streets. While some business do specialize in their services, these sites do not only cater to the LGBT community, but also provides a space for the heteronormative society to join in. The West End and Vancouver as a whole is an open and inclusive place to be.
* Not sure how far your destination is from English Bay...Check out the transit website (website hidden) tripplanning "d o t" translink "d o t" ca
★♫♫•°★★•°•°★ ACTIVITIES & ATTRACTIONS
Walk/Cycle/Run/Rollerblade along the famous Stanley Park Seawall. Take a champagne sunset cruise in English Bay. Go on a early morning Kayak tour, or whale watching tour. Ride up to the top of Grouse Mountain. Swim from the beach or pool. Shop in world class stores. Eat in excellent restaurants representing cuisine from around the world. Take a ride on Stanley Park’s Minature Train, explore the Vancouver Aquarium also in Stanley Park. Fly a kite or join a football, volleyball, on the beach. Go to a ice hockey game. Experience first class theater, or explore the beauties of the Pacific North- West Native art at the Archeology Museum. Watch the international Vancouver Fireworks competition over English Bay in the Summer time. Drink a Belini. Take a weekend/day trip to explore some of British Columbia & Washington (Whistler, Victoria, Bowen Island, Sunshine Coast, Bellingham, or Seattle). Stay at home and relax with a good book, game, or movie.
Like other downtown neighbourhoods, the West End is popular and thus densely populated. While it is one of the most affordable areas downtown, Vancouver as a whole remains as one of the most expensive cities in Canada/US. Hence, you will find many a resident renting out living rooms, dining rooms, and albeit shocking, even closets. It is reminiscent of New York housing where it is also not unheard of to find 8 people sharing a room!
-The West End is home to a mixed population, old and young (51% of residence being between 20 and 40), of Canadians, immigrants and international transient residents.
-It's also home to the gay village called "Davie Village", centred primarily on Davie Street between Burrard and Bute, with a substantial gay population living throughout the West End.
-Residents tend to be younger professionals, families, and some lower-income earners. Vancouver apartments range from single story homes, to multi-level apartments, and high-rise buildings. Condominiums also available in most areas.
★♫♫•°★★•°•°★ LOCAL LINGO
The West End is not to be confused with the West Side (which denotes the western half of the non-downtown part of Vancouver city to the south) or West Vancouver ("West Van"), a separate municipality. (Conversely, and to the confusion of some, "East Van", "the East End", "the East Village" and "the East Side" all denote East Vancouver. While the East Village is a particular area located in the north east part of East Van.
The West End of Vancouver, British Columbia, is located on the western half of the downtown peninsula. Neighboring areas include Stanley Park [1000 acre (4 km²)], Coal Harbour, Yaletown. It is adjacent to the downtown core business and financial districts, with traffic calmed streets punctuated by concrete islands, sidewalk barricades, and mini-parks and many residential heritage buildings. It has more of a "neighbourhood feel" than any other of downtown's areas. Key arteries through the west end include Davie Street, Denman Street, Robson Street, West Georgia and Thurlow Street.
★♫♫•°★★•°•°★ VACANCY... or rather NO-VACANCY
(Isn't it obvious yet - We love living here!) With an apartment rental vacancy of just 0.2%, its going to be tricky. While the vacancy rate is extremely low, more than 80% of all the suites in the West End are rentals – so there is some hope! For those visiting Vancouver’s West End for a few months, short-term sublets may prove to be ideal. Planning for a longer stay? Thinking about moving permanently to Vancouver’s beautiful west end? A lease would be more fitting. Many Vancouver apartment managers forgo advertising their rental units, as putting up a sign out front is usually enough to drive multiple inquiries within a short period of time. The most popular will even have waiting lists. The best advice is to walk around the neighbourhood, bring a cell phone, and make inquiries on the spot. With this kind of market, it will be particularly challenging if you are trying to arrange a lease/permanent housing before your arrival.
★♫♫•°★★•°•°★ OFFICIAL BORDERS OF THE WEST END
The official definition of the West End of Vancouver, set forth by the City of Vancouver, is the area west of Burrard Street, east of Denman Street, and south of West Georgia. Generally, however, the west end is considered to be everything from Burrard Street to Stanley Park.
Davie, Few Blocks from English Bay
Great and convenient location! Supermarkets、restaurants are walk distance, and bus stop is right across the street. It is very easy go to downtown、bus station and airport. Kathleen was a warm and friendly host.
Excellent location! Nice and private room and Patrik and Kathleen were great hosts! Had a great time scouting out Vancouver, using the apartment as the hub.
We had a wonderful stay, the appartment is indeed in a very convenient location with grocery stores, restaurants and beach (don't miss the sunset!) in walking distance. the stop for the bus connecting the area with the airport train is right across the street. Kathleen was very helpful when planning our getting there and also during our stay, giving advice and suggestions for exploring Vancouver. I certainly recommend staying with her and Patrik
First stay and booking with Airbnb. Impressed and happy that everything worked out. Great location. Really enjoyed our stay. Very friendly and accommodating host without being too intrusive.
I loved staying with Kathleen and she's a thoughtful, experienced host. The print maps of Stanley Park trails and False Creek ferries were superb. The neighborhood is totally relaxed but right in the middle of retail. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.
I loved staying with Patrik and Kathleen and was disappointed that I couldn't stay longer. They are both lovely, warm people, and their apartment is very cosy and ideally located. If you're a walker, you can walk to many things, or if not, there's a bus stop right across the street. Downtown takes minutes on the bus. There's a Safeway and a drug store one block away, and a Wholefoods a short walk away. I highly recommend staying here! Thank you for hosting me.
Our stay at Patrik and Kathleen's space was very good. They are nice and very easy going. This location is great. It is walking distance to the English Bay and all other Vancouver attractions. We had a great time.
Barbara and Andrew
This is a really great location - I was probably the first person to get home after the fireworks. The accommodation itself is adequate. - clean, comfortable and informal.
Again the location was fantastic in a city where you want to have fun it's all on the doorstep!
Great hosts, really nice place to stay, the location is perfect if you need to get places in downtown. They'll help with anything you need. My room was cozy and big, and if you need space in the kitchen is suitable too.
Nice experience my first time in Canada.
A nice place with a handy location in central Vancouver.
we haven't been much at "home" so we hadn'd much opportunities to talk with our guest.
The room was clean, well furnished. we enjoy our stay at patrik and kathleen's place