Puhala Hale is new built luxury, 4+ Br, 2.5 Bth South Kona Coast vacation retreat that sleeps up to 10 guests on the Island of Hawaii. It boasts panoramic ocean views, a pool, billiard room and close access to a black sand coconut lined beach cove!
Great room style so you can entertain and the cook can still be part. All glass doors with sweeping ocean views.
Call or email for Last minute deals starting at $225 night!!! Aloha Friends, The Puhala Hale is a beautifully constructed 4+ Bedroom, 2.5 Bath home, on the Big Island of Hawaii. It boasts panoramic ocean views a pool, billiard table and access to one of the most exclusive black sand beaches on the Big Island. Leave the pressures of life behind and relax at this one-of-a-kind retreat
The Puhala Hale is perfect vacation spot to relax by the sea away from traffic congestion, airport noise pollution and the hustle and bustle of “in-town” resorts and crowded tourist areas. At the end of nearly every day, you can enjoy an exceptionally beautiful sunset. The Puhala offers spectacular ocean views from nearly every room and the large tiled and covered lanais are perfect for relaxing while enjoying the coastal sea breezes. The cooling breezes and the sun-warmed, dry climate is year long in South Kona, and the homes location is at an ideal elevation for temperature, never too hot, or chilly.
The Puhala Hale is located 33 miles south from Kailua-Kona, and 63 miles from the Volcano. The 45-minute coastal drive south of Kailua-Kona through coffee country is well worth it to enjoy this rural retreat that is still convenient and within a ten-minute drive to groceries and more. Milolii is a quiet coastal area, perfect to relax and enjoy the layback Hawaiian lifestyle, though close enough to take short trips to golf, shop and fine dine. Puhala Hale is convenient to Kona and the Hilo Airports, as well as a short drive to Volcano National Park, City of Refuge, Black Sand Beach and Hawaii’s South Point. The Milolii area is world renowned for its pristine ocean waters and awesome deep-sea fishing opportunities. The area allows you to explore tide pools, caves and lava tubes while hiking along historical sites and ancient walls.
The Puhala Hale comes equipped with snorkel gear since it’s just a short drive down to the water and beaches were snorkeling and scuba diving is world class. Humpback Whale season is Dec.-March. So whale watching (and hearing at night) can become your favorite pastime. Just minutes to the beach, there is a small park with a secret trail head to the coconut lined black sand beach of Honomalino, where you may by chance get to swim with the sea turtles and spinner dolphins while sun tanning and enjoying the pristine beach and waters.
Puhala’s Amenities and Features Include:
• 4+ Bedrooms. 2.5 Baths, 2,551 Sq. Ft
• Swimming Pool
• 5th Bedroom/Recreation Room with Billiard Table, game console, poker table, stereo and flat screen TV
• 1-Acre Panoramic Ocean View Lot with Sweeping Concrete Drive
• First Class Builder Touches Throughout
• Fully Furnished with Contemporary Hawaiiana Decor
• Bamboo Harwood Floors, Travertine Tile with Luxury Wall to Wall Carpet in bedrooms
• Jacuzzi Tub in Master Bath
• 3 Flat Screen TVs/DVD/VCR with Games and Video Library
• Vintage Era Asian Bath Vanities with Designer Glass Vessel Sinks
• Top of the Line Ceiling Fans and Light Fixtures Throughout
• Italian Imported Granite Countertops and Breakfast Bar
• Gourmet kitchen with Solid Wood Cherry Cabinets
• Top of the Line Appliances and Wine and Water Coolers
• 5 Glass Sliding Doors that Bring the Ocean In
• Top of the Line Pillow Top Mattresses
• Designer and Vintage Hawaiian Art Throughout
• 9’ Ceilings and Mahogany Wood Trim Throughout
• Sleeps up to 10 Guests Comfortably
• Huge Tiled Covered Lanai with Finished Ceilings/Fan and Can Lighting, outdoor couch and dining table seating
Other Things to Note
WE DO NOT HAVE A MICE PROBLEM THAT REVIEW WAS AN ISOLATED PROBLEM THAT IS NO LONGER, DO NOT BE SWAYED BY ONE REVIEW, THIS HOME IS GORGEOUS!
All Reservations!!! Super Strict: 50% refund up until 30 days prior to arrival, except fees
Let's start with the pros:
1. Host: Nancy was great to work with, appreciated prompt responses and she was able to accommodate a late checkout for us.
2. View: Certainly can't complain about this - sweeping view of the ocean/coastline and you're facing West, so you'll catch the sunset as well.
3. Kitchen/Essentials: Generally well stocked with kitchen supplies, towels, beach towels, beach gear, etc.
Next, aspects that were neutral or as expected:
1. Pool: The pool has a soft shell and is quite small - it can be seen in one of the photos of the space, but we were a bit surprised at the small size when we arrived.
2. Space: The house has large common areas (indoor and outdoor) which suited our needs well.
3. Price: All things considered, I can't say the price is unreasonable.
And finally, the cons:
1. Cleanliness: The place was generally pretty dusty (especially the bedrooms). The bathroom, particularly the shower, was not well cleaned. The white sheets in at least one bedroom had stains on them (maybe blood?) - they were washed, but stained sheets in general...
2. Bugs: Not a fault of the place itself, but be warned, there are a lot of mosquitoes flying around outside, especially in the morning and evening. We generally avoided the outside common area because of this.
3. Mice: I think we only spotted one mouse outside the house (never inside the house), but we did stumble upon some mice/rat droppings in a cabinet in the rec room... not a pleasant surprise.
4. Location: In general, the house was further south than we anticipated, about 1 hour and 15 minutes from the airport/costco area. Not terrible if you want to check out the volcano and south island sights, but it does make it tough to check out the Kona and north island sights. In general, the island is just large and driving is inevitable - this isn't exactly a knock on the house, but it was further away from Kona (time wise) than anticipated.
Overall, we had a great trip and the house was satisfactory - but based primarily on the cleanliness, I wouldn't choose to stay again.
This was 2 families combined Thanksgiving Vacation. The house itself - gorgeous! The view - gorgeous! Location... Seemed to be a bit misleading if not from the area. Milolii is easily an hours drive from Kona Airport - a nice drive but over our 9 days we spent 30 hours of it in our cars.
The beds are all quite comfortable, and the home is equipped with many essentials as well as beach gear - that was a nice plus!
We contacted the hosts a couple times and they were always helpful. However there were a few other unfortunate experiences we had; we were promptly kicked out (on check out day) at 10am sharp by cleaning crew as they appeared on the back porch - not even a courtesy knock on the front door! I found that to be very rude. My last complaint would be the house was infested with mice. Infested!!
Great house.. Bad location.. Plenty of great rentals of the same caliber much closer to town.
The house was clean, very nice, modern, and has a tremendous view. It is out of the way for those who want quiet and privacy. Exactly what one wants for a quiet vacation.
Rented Nancy's house with my partner and a couple of friends for a week. Overall, the house is nice and extremely spacious. Great view of the ocean and the house's landscaping is stunning. We saw many geckos, a mongoose and beautiful birds, all in the backyard. It was amazing!
The house's layout makes it great for entertaining and accommodating a large group of people. Nancy provides a list of the restaurants, grocery stores, etc she recommends. We enjoyed several off the list, the Coffee Shack being one of our favs. And definitely take Nancy's advice and stop by a grocery store on the way in. Also, we rented a 4-wheel-drive Jeep by chance, but were so glad we did as the driveway and just the road to her house were steep.
There were just a few cons: It is isolated and requires a 30-45 minute drive just to enjoy a great cup of coffee and slice of coconut cake at the Coffee Shack (longer to get to Kona, etc). While the distance when mapping it may seem minimal, because there's just the one road (and many times one lane), driving from point A to point B took longer than expected. If you're with a large group and want to hang out at the house, this isn't a problem, but we tried to tackle a lot on both Nancy's list and ours and the commute adds up.
Also, Nancy uses another site to book her house which doesn't sync reliably with Airbnb's calendar. On our last night there, we were waken just before midnight by a large party who thought they had the house that night. They told us they had confirmation from Nancy; we also had confirmation from Nancy who later explained via email that it was a calendar mixup between the two sites. It was terrifying to be woken up by a large group of strangers ringing the doorbell, trying to get in while in a relatively isolated location. They later asked if we could keep their food they had just purchased in the fridge so we did, and then they went in search of a hotel room. We had trouble falling back to sleep after that so that definitely was not a great way to end our vacation. If that hadn't happened, the overall review score would be higher since Hawaii is relaxing and so beautiful. But it sounds like there's a chance the miscommunication/booking blunder could happen again since it was between the two services/calendars.
I have been managing vacation homes and resorts for over 15 years, in addition to this home which we personally built I have a B&B cottage in wine country. This guests that were arriving added an extra day to there stay a month or so after booking, and the dates were amended on other rental sites but did not reflect on airbnb, so it was an absolute isolated situation. I have never had a calendar miscommunication problem before and don't intend to have it again. Sometimes we can only hope that our computer programs actually work better than the operators, fail safe that is. Thank god both guests were gracious and understanding. Cheers!
We stayed one week and truly enjoyed our experience. Nancy provided wonderful service , the view was absolutely beautiful and we loved the luxurious decor. It was very comfortable and all at a great price.
We would be elated to spend another week without a doubt.
We stayed at Nancy's home for 5 nights and the house is absolutely amazing! It has extra little touches that make it that little bit more enjoyable, such as outdoor speakers, hammock, pool table, bar fridge etc.
The views are breath taking! During the day or watching the sunset in the evening. The landscape is bizarre compared to home but very interesting.
The only downside would be the location is sort of isolated... About 30min drive to captain cook and about an hour to Kona which had some nightlife and restaurants and activities. There are some shops and take about food within about 15min drive but would definitely recommend stopping at a grocery store on the way through.
Also pack aerogaurd for mozzies outside.
Overall though the house, views and our stay was amazing and one to remember. Thanks for having us!!
The host was eay to deal with and always prompt. The house was amazing and exactly what we were looking for! The view from the porch was one of the best views I have ever seen of the Pacific Ocean. We never wanted to leave! Definitely best place to watch the sunset. Thank you Nancy for everything!
This host has 17 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
I'm Nancy, I live in California and built this home to vacation in Hawaii. I have general managed vacation rental and hotel companies for over 15yrs in Lake Tahoe and enjoy property management.