About this listing
Charming oceanview farmhouse, off the grid getaway in Pahoa, Hawaii.
(PRICE INCLUDES 13.41% daily Hawaii Transient & Excise Tax.)
Located at the end of a private road, our Pohoiki farmhouse (pronounced locally as Po-iki) is a tastefully appointed, off the grid home with magnificent ocean view. The home sits on five cleared acres and is planted with a variety of tropical flowers, exotic fruit trees, and even a testbed for growing tea. This is an off the grid retreat for visitors looking for serenity and a soothing, entirely different sort of Hawai'i vacation.
The house features a full kitchen; separate bedroom; large bathroom with walk-in shower and hand-crafted acacia wood counter; cozy living room with TV/DVD player; a dining room that comfortably seats four to six; and a large lanai featuring magnificent ocean views during the day and sublime stargazing at night.
This is our home, and although work keeps us away from Hawai'i right now we’d like it to be your home as well. Sit on the lanai in the morning sipping coffee and eating papaya from one of the local markets while listening to the slow distant rumble of the ocean. Easily visit the many nearby wonders of Puna: Ahalanui Park warm pond, Pohoiki boat ramp, the Vacationland tide pools, the Kalapana lava flow, Pahoa Town, mystical Red Road...Wander the yard at sunset with a glass of wine while the sun paints the skies over Puna pink. Fall asleep to the nighttime rains…
Because the house is positioned on a hill 400 feet above sea level, the trade winds blow regularly and keep it almost exclusively mosquito-free, which is a bit of a marvel for east Hawai'i.
We are less than 10 minutes by car from old Pahoa Town (restaurants, gas, groceries, wonderful olympic-sized swimming pool) and a mere few miles from the Pohoiki boat ramp and the geothermally heated warm pond. Kalapana is 20 minutes south; the Hilo airport about 35 to 40 minutes north; Kilauea crater about 45 minutes. The location is ideal for exploring the eastern side of the island.
Sometimes it’s difficult to remember that our farmhouse is off the grid, but it is. We have plenty of county water, which is easily and quickly heated by an on-demand propane water heater. The stove and oven are propane as well, and the electrical is solar. The living is convenient and comfortable, however the experience is decidedly more detached – much less energy consumptive, much less plugged-in. Life on Pohoiki Road is in synch with the rythms of the day. Life is simpler here.
Vacation Rental Features
- 1 Queen
- Sofa bed in living room
- Flat-screen TV with built-in DVD player; no satellite or cable
- Swimming pool (Pahoa Town). The public pool in town is delightful. A huge, Olympic sized pool with two separate lap areas and a standalone children’s pool make this an ideal place to work on your strokes.
- Full kitchen
- Propane gas stove/oven
- Full-size refrigerator
- Cooking utensils: non-stick cookware, dishes, place mats, cloth napkins
- Lanai with hammock
- Ocean View: sublime ocean view from the bedroom, living areas and lanai
- A wide swath of ohia forest and papaya farms lies between the house and the ocean
- Walk-in shower with handheld spray and rain nozzle
- Hand-hewn, bathoom counter made of locally harvested, chocolate heart acacia
- Custom kitchen cabinetry with kitchen counter posts constructed from ohia trees from the property
- Individuals, especially artists, thinkers and academics
- Families or couples traveling together should consider booking our home as well as our next door neighbors’ lovely Indonesian style cottage, Mahi Oli Oli
- Unfortunately, we’re not handicapped accessible. The living area is on the second floor, accessed by outdoor stairs.
- No Smoking indoors. Smoking is permitted on the lanai or lawn areas only.
- Minimum Age Limit For Renters : You must be at least 21 years old to rent our home.
- No Pets Allowed
- Snorkeling (at the tide pools in Vacationland)
- Surfing (for experts and/or locals only, down at Pohoiki boat ramp)
- Swimming (olympic pool in Pahoa Town)
- Wildlife Viewing
- Zoo/Wildlife Park
- Hike to Active Lava Flows
- Yoga Instruction
- Volcano National Park; Eco-Tourism
- World-Class Astronomical Observatory
- Pahoa Olympic-Sized Swimming Pool
- Geo-Thermal/Oceanside Warm Pond (Queen's Bath)
- Tropical Botanical Gardens
- Hula Classes.
- Check out Nui Pohaku or adventure tours and bike/snorkel,scuba rentals.
You’ll notice in the photos that our house is two stories. The rental is the upstairs portion of the house, which is what affords it the incredible views. Currently, the first floor is a work in progress; we use it as our workroom when we’re on-island.
Cancel up to 7 days before your trip and get a 50% refund plus service fees back.
This is our home. Work has us on the mainland for much of the time, so we decided to share our private bit of unplugged Puna paradise with visitors looking for a serene getaway on the Big Island.