About this listing
Charming 1877 two-floor cottage with two cats in the heart of the Castro neighborhood (on Hartford Street, between 18th and 19th Street) easy walking distance to Muni transportation and a quiet and convenient refuge from the Castro excitement. The home is in private gated area, is very quiet and surrounded by trees and flowering plants, and it overlooks a private courtyard with two small decorative pools. The upper floor has a high-ceilinged living room with gas stove, dining room decorated with antique Indonesian wood carvings, kitchen, full bathroom, and bedroom with queen-size bed. Features include: - Sleeps up to 6 adults - Well stocked kitchen - Washer and Dryer - Exercise Room with TV - Dry Sauna (NEW) - LCD TVs - Stereo plays throughout the house - Wireless Internet - FAX/Printers
Two well-behaved and affectionate cats needing minimal care (check food and water) are included.
We do have a car that can be included for an extra fee.
The following are some tips and requests for making your time here more enjoyable:
• Your set of keys has a brass one (stamped with letter G) that opens the front gate near the sidewalk. Please take care not to let the gate slam. If you are staying upstairs, there is an unstamped key that opens the front door. There is another key that opens the small (low!) door that leads to the lower level near the base of the front stairs on a red ribbon hanging on the front door knob.
• On the day of your departure, please leave they keys on the front hall table and lock the bottom lock of the door and pull the door closed. Please plan to leave before noon so we can prepare for the next guest.
• The cats’ names are Ashley and Ling. Ling is the Siamese. If you have agreed to take care of the cats, please feed the cats at least once a day. Cat food is in the lower cabinet to the right of the stove. They split half a can of wet food two or three times a day. Dry food can be left out as they only eat it occasionally .Please make sure that the cats have plenty of fresh water. Please also clean out the kitty litter on the back “porch” once every two days. There are plastic bags in the cabinet to the left of the stove into which you can put the scoopings and you can dispose of them in the garbage.
The cats are not allowed in lower level rooms. The cats may use the cat door in the back door to go inside and outside as they please.
Ling had conjunctivitis from birth which resulted in her being blinded in one eye. It weeps occasionally and is nothing to worry about. She is oblivious and much more concerned about being petted as much as possible.
• Unfortunately there are no assigned parking spots for the house. Two hour street parking is generally available during the day and more difficult to find evenings. There are streets within walking distance where you can park for more than 2 hours. If you are here for an extended period, a temporary parking permit can be obtained from the city for $30. See one of us for more information. Pay attention to street cleaning times on surrounding streets. Wednesday morning is street cleaning on this side of the street and Friday morning on the other side. A street cleaning ticket is $55.
• The hot water is on an energy-efficient on-demand system, so it takes a little while for the hot water to heat up. If you are taking a shower, the best approach is to turn the water first on full hot for about 10 seconds and then dial it down to medium hot. To turn on the shower upstairs, pull firmly out on the knob (it sticks). In about 30 seconds, you should be able to take a warm shower.
• There is a gas stove in the living room. It can be turned on by a small switch on the right back edge of the top of the stove. Never leave the stove on when you are not in the house or when sleeping.
• There is thermostat next to the bedroom door that you can use to turn on the heat. It is set on a timer to turn on at 5pm and 6am and keep the temperate at 68 degrees.
• If you have guests in the living room, there are extra sheets (queen size) in the bedroom closet just to the left of the mirror on the wall. They should be on the third shelf up.
• Dishwasher soap is under the sink in a plastic container. Just drop one of the little nodules into the soap container in the door of the dishwasher and close the little soap container door (slide and press down). Please run the dishwasher before you leave.
• There is a washer and dryer in the front of the lower level (use Hobbit hole key described above). We would appreciate if you could wash and dry any used sheets or linens before you leave.
• Plastic and paper bags are in the cabinet under the counter to the left of the stove. Please put garbage in the garbage bin in the entry alley way marked “174 ½.” Please put recyclables (e.g. plastic containers, paper, and cardboard) in the bin marked “174 ½” in the laundry room in the lower level in the back of the front building, off of the courtyard. Please put all compostable organic materials (e.g. orange peels, vegetable peelings, and leftover food) in the green bin that is outside under the front stairs. (Please do not put these organic materials down the garbage disposal!) If you here on a Tuesday, please put the “174 ½” garbage, recyclable, and composting bins out onto the curb on Tuesday evening so that they can be picked up on Wednesday morning. Please bring the bins back in after they are emptied.
• Please water the plants outside in the courtyard and along the side of the house at least once a week with the hose that is in the entry alley way. The plants under the balcony of the front building especially need water since they do not have access to rain. Please water the plants indoors once a week or as needed.
• Please stack the mail on the lower shelf of the hall table.
• There is no cable TV, but there is digital reception providing a variety of commercial and public stations. To play DVDs, turn on the stereo (hifi) first and then turn on the DVD player. There are three remotes, one for the TV, on for the stereo, and one for the DVD player. There is also Apple TV with a remote specifically for that device. Use the long black remote to switch sources and control the TV. You can watch anything on Netflix using Apple TV.
• There is wifi. The key is (phone number hidden). The SSID is CN2
• If there is an emergency or you need to call us for any reason, Chas Nol can be reached on his cell phone at (phone number hidden) and Paul Connolly can be reached on his cell phone at (phone number hidden). Keith Hodges is a local friend who can help out with maintenance and general issues at (phone number hidden).
• There is a sauna underneath the back stairs. To use it, turn it on (see instructions below) 30 minutes before you want to use it. It turns off automatically after 1 hour. If you use it longer, just turn it on again. CAUTION: DO NOT POUR LARGE AMOUNTS OF WATER ON ROCKS!!
To turn on sauna, turn the right hand knob past and then turn it back to the first . This will keep the heater on for 1 hour. The other numbers are for the number of hours before the heater will start, if you want to schedule it in advance.