About This Listing
Large Victorian home directly across the street from Smith College and literally steps away from the Commencement site, with parking!! We live in the upstairs 2-floor unit and vacate to make the entire house available for you and your family during Commencement weekend. There is a 4 night minimum for the weekend.
The house includes two separate fully furnished flats, each with kitchen, laundry and full bath. The first floor flat includes one large bedroom, two large living areas, kitchen, bath, and laundry. The upstairs unit is two stories, with a lovely outdoor dining porch, 2 bedrooms with queen-sized beds, and a loft above the garage (very cool private space) with an inflatable queen-sized mattress, connected to the upstairs unit by an outdoor walkway. There is a secluded little garden in the back with a small deck and gas grill. Our house is on a quiet, friendly street and is comfortably and tastefully furnished. We have wireless internet throughout. You can park as many cars as you can fit in the driveway. Our car will be in the garage.
We're a short walk to the great restaurants and stores of downtown Northampton.Northampton is a great area to bike, and we have bicycles you can use.
1. Thanks for coming! Please keep in mind that this is our home so we'll be on the second floor.
2. Key Exchange - upon your showing photo ID(s), we will provide you with 2 keys for the 3 first floor doors, to be returned at the end of your stay.
3. No pets, no smoking; applies to your guests too.
4. Please keep all doors locked at all times unless you are within sight of the door.
5. Parking - across the street. For overnight parking (11pm - 6am), we will provide you with a parking permit to place inside your car. Please leave it on the kitchen counter when you leave.
6. Garbage - we have people who actually pick up our trash and recycling on their bicycles (Pedal People). Please put garbage in the trashcan outside. Recycling is divided into Paper/Cardboard and Plastic/Glass/Metal, and goes into the two bins next to the trashcan.
7. Fireplace – PLEASE ASK US FIRST BEFORE USING THE FIREPLACE SO THAT we can show you how. Most important - open the flue before making the fire and keep the glass doors closed while the fire is burning.
8. Having Guests - use your best judgment! There is a futon and a single mattress available.
9. Noise - try to keep it down after 10pm and before 8am. We’ll do the same.
10. Laundry - the machines are for you to use
11. Supplies - if you need something, let me know.
12. Furniture. Other than the red loveseat, please do not move heavy furniture.
13. Cleaning - a housecleaner will come every other week for major cleaning. In between, please keep the kitchen and bathroom clean with the supplies provided in the utility closet and under the kitchen and bathroom sinks.
14. Stereo – an old tuner is located in the cabinet in the fireplace room, with speakers in the front room.
15. Garden - for your enjoyment. We will be sharing.
16. Heat – thermostat in front room. Please turn down when not in the flat.
This home is lovely...we rented the entire house, both the upper and lower units for us and extended family for a reunion visit. Both units are well appointed (especially the upper unit), complete with comfortable beds, good showers, furnished kitchens and washer/dryers. The porches and garden are nice spaces to relax in. The bottom unit is accessible for someone in a walker or small wheelchair, as long as the person can walk up three steps from the driveway into the house. Mari and her husband were wonderful hosts, and our stay was even more enjoyable for meeting them. They went the extra mile to meet our needs and interests, including stocking the units for our breakfasts. For someone with a student at, or visiting, Smith College, this is a fabulous location adjacent to the campus! It is very near the outdoor graduation site, too. The parking was a big plus for us, too. I would recommend both the lower unit and the entire house and would happily stay here again.
This host has 13 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, Mari
I live in Northampton, Massachusetts, a lively and friendly college town in the western part of the state (not Boston!). I am married and love to travel to cities to explore neighborhoods, architecture and local cultures. What I most love about living in Northampton (and I say this as someone who lived in the Bay Area for 20 years) is how much this great little New England city has to offer. Our house is directly across the street from Smith College, which itself has amazing things going on all the time - music, drama and dance performances, art exhibits, lectures, beautiful walking paths and gardens. My husband and I believe in walkable and bikeable communities, with vibrant downtowns. Our house gives us and our guests exactly that. We can walk or bike to almost everything we need. We are also a 5 minute walk to the bus to Amherst, another lively college community. I love to meet new people and am fascinated by other cultures.
I'm a foodie in every way - I love to cook, eat, grow food on the little plot at the side of the house, go out to restaurants and support our local farmers at our year-round farmers' markets. I also am a violinist (love playing Beethoven quartets), am a no-mercy Scrabble player and an avid reader and walker.