About this listing
Welcome! Loki the cat & I love hosting our guests in our cozy Brooklyn abode & private rooftop! New to Airbnb? Please *fully complete your profile*, then message for details & thumbs-up before booking! I never accept strangers, only new friends! ;)
I love hosting guests in my adorable two-bedroom apartment, so: welcome! I live in Bushwick, Brooklyn, and my household was part of the vanguard of artists and musicians who lead to a cheap neighborhood becoming cool and beginning to gentrify. I have seen that change before my eyes, and the neighborhood, while still retaining its Brooklyn grit, is safe and clean. I am close to the J and M trains, so it's quick to get to midtown or downtown Manhattan or the Lower East Side, a hotspot for live music and nightlife. There is also a private rooftop where we can chill out under Christmas lights on balmy summer evenings (and where smokers can go to feed their addiction).
Your room is big enough for your queen-sized bed and not much else (a true New York experience!) but you are more than welcome to share the rest of the lovely apartment and a relaxed and fun-loving cat--a Russian Blue, specially chosen because the breed doesn't shed as much as normal house cats.
**Welcome AirBnB Newbies! Just so you know, it's customary for the guest and host to message back and forth BEFORE making booking requests! This get-to-know-each-other process is essential to the trust and safety aspects of AirBnB. :)
Parking: free street parking readily available.
Nearby trains: J, M and Z trains at Central Ave (M), Kosciusko St (J) or Myrtle-Broadway (J, M, Z) (We're in the triangle between those three stations.)
Nearby busses: B38; B46; B47; B54
Internet: (website hidden): well, we watch it on the internet.
Phone: no phone; we stick with cell phones. It's easy to get a pre-paid cell phone while you're here if needed.
Bath towels, bed linens, and other normal household items are provided and available for use! Ask me if you have any specific needs.
I also can get you some special discounts on things to do in New York thanks to my workplace! Check out (website hidden), (email hidden) and (website hidden) and let me know if there's anything that interests you!
*gay friendly household* :)
Other cool things nearby:
- Brooklyn Public Library
- Deli/bodega downstairs is the best one in the neighborhood!
- 24 hour natural-foods grocery Mr. Kiwi
- Awesome bar called "The Lone Wolf" down the block; live music on weekends
- "Goodbye Blue Monday", a long-standing live music dive (confession: heard "free jazz" there; never went back. Not into free jazz! Sorry jazz musicians.)
- Big, brand-new grocery store
Guests are welcome to the whole place! Except my own bedroom of course (it can get a little messy because I focus on keeping the rest of the house nice for you! :)
Interaction with Guests
I love to have an evening or two hanging out with my guests over a glass of wine, when time permits! And I've definitely been known to take in a Broadway show, concert or open-air movie with guests as well. :) That said, I tend to work long hours so for guests with shorter trips it isn't always possible.
There's not too many rules; just be respectful and clean up after yourself. Smokers will have to do their smoking outside (we have a private rooftop) and dispose of butts responsibly. Please let me know and/or replace anything you use up or break (it's ok, it happens!), and put back anything you use or borrow. Also, we try to run a "green" household, so check out the manual for information on recycling and saving energy! Nothing too crazy, just the basics. :)
Deirdre is an awesome host. the place was clean and organized. labels everywhere to guide you through your stay. it is a really cozy place that you will definitely enjoy your stay. Loki is so awesome, adorable and cuddly. I spent really good time with this lovely cat.
I know me and Deirdre didn't interact much with each other due to her commitments, but the few chats we had was awesome, her lovely smile and personality will brighten your day even if you have the worst day ever.
I would definitely recommend staying at her place.
If you're not in the market for an awesome, warm and welcoming host, then you may want avoid Deirdre. Lol. She made the whole experience great! It felt more like staying with a friend than a stranger. Her place was cozy and sweet with all the little comforts of home.
Deidre is very nice and its very uncomplicated to live with her. Loki of course is a very nice flatmate as well :). I would come back again.
Great experience, Deirdre and Loki the cat were wonderful hosts. I arrived and left when Deirdre was not around which was no problem at all and felt at home and comfortable at once. The J and M trains are close by making it easy to get to Manhattan. I would come again...
Deirdre is awesome! So is her cozy space. I felt really welcomed and at home during my stay there. Deirdre was very open, enthusiactic and willing to help with all my tourist questions. I've even got the chance to hang out with her and her friends at Brooklyn's Prospect park. The neighbourhood is cool as well. Bushwick and Brooklyn as a whole is a great place to discover and a great alternative to staying in Manhattan.
If or when I return to NY, Deirdre's lovely space will sure be at the top of my "Where to stay" list!
Deirdre is a fantastic host! She made me feel so welcome and was able to accommodate my late check in time. The apartment is beautiful, clean and cosy - a great environment to relax in. Her cat Loki also made me feel welcome. The apartment is conveniently located near the M train, 24 hour laundromatte, bakery, coffee shops and takes about 30mins to get to midtown.
I highly recommend and would definitely stay here again. Thank you for having me!
Deirdre had a family emergency so I had the apartment to myself... well, myself and Loki the cat.
Deirdre communicated well and I had a great visit. I felt warm, cozy and safe while I was there. The apartment was clean and the cat was friendly without being annoying.
The apartment was an easy walk to the subway.
I'd strongly recommend Deirdre though again I never met her face to face but I feel confident that she would have been a great roommate.
This host has 45 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, Deirdre
Hi there! Thanks for checking out my listing. I genuinely love hosting guests and meeting people from all over the world--here's a few things about me just to start opening that door. :)
- I am an international citizen and love to travel. I have traveled in Europe quite a bit, especially Finland (where my mom is from) and Ireland (where I was born), and also a bit to France, a country I have always loved! (Et bien sur, je parle francais assez courramment... mais pas parfaitement. Tambien, estudio Espanol!)
- I am a pretty good cook, even though I don't have much time for cooking these days! I do enjoy eating healthy and have been learning a lot lately about raw foods and all kinds of ways you can support your health by eating various foods.
- After a variety of positions in business and non-profits, including a couple years working to raise awareness about human trafficking, I work in communications at a foundation working to increase and improve the US job market and promote positive impact investing. I care a lot about corporate social responsibility and I love my job!
- I LOVE reading and have so many books! I grew up without a TV and the habit of reading really stuck. :) But I've also been a little obsessed with the show "30 Rock" lately... :)~
- I am a Christian and usually like to start my day with a little quiet time, reading my Bible and writing in a prayer journal. But you don't need to have my beliefs to be welcome and comfortable in my house! I think diversity (of belief, race, orientation, nationality, whatever) is a blessing, and variety the spice of life! :)
- My favorite quote, and a motto of sorts, from Maya Angelou: "A woman in harmony with her spirit is like a river flowing. She goes where she will without pretense, and arrives at her destination prepared to be herself, and only herself."
a single FAQ [updated August 2013]: Many people--from guests to fellow New Yorkers--have seen some confusing headlines and asked me about AirBnB's legal situation in New York.
So, here is what’s going on with NYC law. There is a law created in 2010 that is trying to prevent NYC landlords from running illegal hotels (thereby taking away market-rate housing from regular New Yorkers). A judge recently ruled, in a case against an AirBnB host, that this law also prevented regular New Yorkers from doing short-term sublets (even though vast numbers of us do, when needed)—UNLESS the host is living there while the guest is there. Many hosts, like myself, do exactly that, and so this law does not apply to us.
Because everyone (including the judge) agrees that the law was not intended to apply to regular New Yorkers renting out their own homes, the authorities are not going out and looking to “bust” AirBnB hosts (although it would be relatively easy if they wanted to, of course). However, if someone else makes a complaint, they do have to investigate.
Personally, I feel extremely grateful and blessed to have both a landlord and neighbors who fully support my AirBnB hosting, and an apartment situation that is well within the awkward confines of the law! I love being an AirBnB host, and I look forward to getting to know you, my guests!