About this listing
Welcome! Loki the cat & I love hosting our guests in our cozy Brooklyn abode & private rooftop! Note: Please MESSAGE BEFORE BOOKING in order to work out details and tell me about yourself! This is my home and it helps us all if I can get to know you and handle logistics before finalizing.
NB: please message before booking to work out details! Scroll down to where you see my profile and click "message host".
I love hosting guests in my adorable two-bedroom apartment, so: welcome! I live in Bushwick, Brooklyn, and my household was part of the vanguard of artists and musicians who lead to a cheap neighborhood becoming cool and beginning to gentrify. I have seen that change before my eyes, and the neighborhood, while still retaining its Brooklyn grit, is safe and clean. I am close to the J and M trains, so it's quick to get to midtown or downtown Manhattan or the Lower East Side, a hotspot for live music and nightlife. There is also a private rooftop where we can chill out under Christmas lights on balmy summer evenings (and where smokers can go to feed their addiction).
Your room is big enough for your queen-sized bed and not much else (a true New York experience!) but you are more than welcome to share the rest of the lovely apartment and a relaxed and fun-loving cat--a Russian Blue, specially chosen because the breed doesn't shed as much as normal house cats.
**Welcome AirBnB Newbies! Just so you know, it's customary for the guest and host to message back and forth BEFORE making booking requests! This get-to-know-each-other process is essential to the trust and safety aspects of AirBnB. :)
Parking: free street parking readily available.
Nearby trains: J, M and Z trains at Central Ave (M), Kosciusko St (J) or Myrtle-Broadway (J, M, Z) (We're in the triangle between those three stations.)
Nearby busses: B(PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN)
Internet: (website hidden): well, we watch it on the internet.
Phone: no phone; we stick with cell phones. It's easy to get a pre-paid cell phone while you're here if needed.
Bath towels, bed linens, and other normal household items are provided and available for use! Ask me if you have any specific needs.
I also can get you some special discounts on things to do in New York thanks to my workplace! Check out (website hidden), (email hidden) and (website hidden) and let me know if there's anything that interests you!
*gay friendly household* :)
Other cool things nearby:
- Brooklyn Public Library
- Deli/bodega downstairs is the best one in the neighborhood!
- 24 hour natural-foods grocery Mr. Kiwi
- Awesome bar called "The Lone Wolf" down the block
- right next to it, live music on weekends at the Living Room
- Big, brand-new grocery store
Finally, please note that there is a security camera in a common area (after a guest invited over a bunch of drunk friends who damaged my things and did not pay!). I'm happy to tell you more details in person! Don't worry, I'm not a creeper. :)
Guests are welcome to the whole place! Except my own bedroom of course (it can get a little messy because I focus on keeping the rest of the house nice for you! :)
Interaction with guests
I love to have an evening or two hanging out with my guests over a glass of wine, when time permits! And I've definitely been known to take in a Broadway show, concert or open-air movie with guests as well. :) That said, I tend to work long hours so for guests with shorter trips it isn't always possible.
There's not too many rules; just be respectful and clean up after yourself. Smokers will have to do their smoking outside (we have a private rooftop) and dispose of butts responsibly. Please let me know and/or replace anything you use up or break (it's ok, it happens!), and put back anything you use or borrow. Also, we try to run a "green" household, so check out the manual for information on recycling and saving energy! Nothing too crazy, just the basics. :)
Hi there! Thanks for checking out my listing. I genuinely love hosting guests and meeting people from all over the world--here's a few things about me just to start opening that door. :)
- I am an international citizen and love to travel. I have traveled in Europe quite a bit, especially Finland (where my mom is from) and Ireland (where I was born), and also a bit to France, a country I have always loved! (Et bien sur, je parle francais assez courramment... mais pas parfaitement. Tambien, estudio Espanol!)
- I am a pretty good cook, even though I don't have much time for cooking these days! I do enjoy eating healthy and have been learning a lot lately about raw foods and all kinds of ways you can support your health by eating various foods.
- After a variety of positions in business and non-profits, including a couple years working to raise awareness about human trafficking, I work in communications at a foundation working to increase and improve the US job market and promote positive impact investing. I care a lot about corporate social responsibility and I love my job!
- I LOVE reading and have so many books! I grew up without a TV and the habit of reading really stuck. :) But I also always have my latest Netflix fix...
- I am a Christian and usually like to start my day with a little quiet time, reading my Bible and writing in a prayer journal. But you don't need to have my beliefs to be welcome and comfortable in my house! I think diversity (of belief, race, orientation, nationality, whatever) is a blessing, and variety the spice of life! :)
- My favorite quote, and a motto of sorts, from Maya Angelou: "A woman in harmony with her spirit is like a river flowing. She goes where she will without pretense, and arrives at her destination prepared to be herself, and only herself."