About this listing
Kubla Khan - 'a vision in a dream' is a poem by Samuel Coleridge that describes a magical secret garden, surrounded by high walls and towers, a river running through it down to the sea, bright gardens with blossoming trees, ancient forests and hills.
Open planned living, dining and kitchen area with consertina sliding doors opening out to a large covered terrace with views up and down the valley and across the river to primary rainforest...
Private, gated, spacious, modern, twe story open planned house overlooking 120 meters of the Chirripo River with breaohtaking views of Mountain Peaks, Virgin Rainforest and the San Isidro Valley.
Covered garage, electricity, hot water, large refridgerator/freezer, microwave, gas oven stove, electric coffee grinder, espresso and filter coffee machines, electric juicer, 32" flat screen TV, Sky, Wifi, music speakers, laundry service (washer/dryer), BBQ area and wood stove.
Master bedroom with king size bed, walk in closet and balcony with hammock.
Second bedroom with double bed and storage shelves, cabinets and drawers.
Beautiful Gardens, Orchards and Vegetable Beds with Fresh Herbs and Salads.
Easy River Access to Waterfalls, Swimming Holes and Private Sunbathing Rocks right infront of property.
10 minutes by car to entrance of Chirripo National Park, Cloudridge Waterfall Reserve, Hotsprings and Botanical Gardens.
5 minutes walk to Cannan Centre (Bar/Restaurant, Grocery Store, Soccer Pitch, Church)
30 minutes by car or bus to San Isidro City Centre (population 45, 000)
1 hour by car to Dominical Beach for Surfing, Sport Fishing, Whale and Dolphin Watching
Countless Mountain Trails, including Climbing the 'Chirripo', Costa Rica's highest mountain peak, with guide and overnight stay at the base camp lodge
Horseback Riding, Kayaking, Paragliding (solo or tandem), Ziplining, Fishing
Healing and Bodywork, Massage, Yoga, Meditation, Tranquility!
Local Produce... Organic Coffee, Chocolate, Cheeses (Swiss, Mozzarella, Ricotta, Goat), Khalua and Hot Chili Sauces
Contempory Fine Art at 'Monte Azul' Eco Hotel Restaurant and Artist Retreat
Guests will have access to the entire property, which includes covered parking, bbq area, garden, orchard, vegetable gardens, fish pond and 120 meters of river front. The property is protected by a two meter high concrete wall with large wooden gates that can be locked to ensure privacy and security during your stay.
Interaction with Guests
We live in another house on the property, about 50 meters from the main house, but it is private and has it's own entrance from the street.
The gardener comes for a few hours each day, but will not disturb you or come close to the house.
Our neighbourhood is a mixed Tico/Gringo community that gets on very well together. The locals are extremely friendly and will always say hello.
There is a small grocery store that sells limited fruits and vegetables and dried goods just a 10 minute up the road.
On the way to the store, you will pass the cheese farm, where you can buy fresh swiss style cheese, fresh milk and yoghurt and local organic coffee. You will also pass the Xamaritan chocolate factory, where you can buy coffee, cakes and hand made chocolates, as well as partake in a chocolate workshop.
You can also make a call for a freerange farm eggs and chicken delivery or take a longer stroll or short drive up to the trout farm, where you can fish for your own trout and have them cooked their for you or bring them home for the grill!
There are public busses that run from outside the store between San Gerardo and San Isidro throughout the day.
If you wish to arrange a driver for a ride or for a few hours, then this can be arranged locally for a small fee.
1. Smoking is allowed outside only.
2. No outdoor shoes are to be worn inside the house.
3. People other than those in the Guest party set forth above may not stay overnight in the property. Any other person in the property is the sole responsibility of Guest.
4. The house is privately owned; the owners are not responsible for any accidents, injuries or illness that occurs while on the premises or its facilities. The Homeowners are not responsible for the loss of personal belongings or valuables of the guest. By accepting this reservation, it is agreed that all guests are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the premises or others whom they invite to use the premise.
5. Keep the property and all furnishings in good order
6. Only use appliances for their intended uses
7. Pets are not permitted on the property.
8. Housekeeping: There is no daily housekeeping service. Linens and bath towels are included in the house and laundry service is available. We suggest you bring beach towels. We do not permit towels or linens to be taken from the premises.
9. Fireplace: The fireplace and the wood stove are permitted to be used, but under supervision of an adult and extinguished prior to retiring to bed.
10. Toilet and Septic: The WC is on a septic system. The septic system is very effective; however, we ask you to NOT FLUSH anything, other than paper down the toilet. Please use the bin provided. No feminine products should be flushed at anytime. If it is found that feminine products have been flushed and clog the septic system, you could be charged damages of up to the full security deposit.
If there is a storm or hurricane, no refunds will be given unless:
•The state or local authorities order mandatory evacuations in a "Tropical Storm/Hurricane Warning area" in which case we will refund:
•Any unused portion of rent from a guest currently registered; or that is scheduled to arrive, and wants to shorten the stay, to come in after the Hurricane Warning is lifted; and any advance rents collected or deposited for a reservation that is scheduled to arrive during the "Hurricane Warning" period.
Please note. The Mountain roads in Costa Rica can be curvy and steep and sometimes gravely or muddy. We highly recommend four-wheel drive and do not refund due to road conditions.
12. Trash must be separated as follows:
1. Regular dry trash (grey bin by garage)
2. Recyclable trash (yellow bin by garage)
3. Organic waste (compost at end of garden)
4. Food scraps...meat, dairy etc.(in river or give to Oldemar the gardener to dispose of)
Failure to separate the trash as instructed above will result in forfeiting $50 from your security deposit.
13. You will be issued one full set of keys on arrival, which will give you access to the two main gates, front door, downstairs storeroom and the safe. If you loose these keys or fail to hand them over on check out, you will forfeit the full security deposit.
About the Host, Angus
I'm head chef in a yoga and surf retreat on the Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica. I love to spend time at the beach surfing, but find that a balance between the beach lifestyle and climate and that of the mountains and river is what makes me love this country so much. I like to spend time inbetween yoga groups at my home relaxing, working on the property and growing fruits and vegetables. The river has a tremendous energy and cleansing properties...and has even offered up the occasional trout or two! I highly recommend diving into the ice cold swimming hole below the property and then lying out on the gigantic black hot rocks to warm through.
I designed and built my house myself and take great pride in keeping it well maintained. I enjoy a few home comforts, when I am not working down in the jungle without electricity, so I may spend the odd afternoon watching some Premiership Football on the television from the hammock.
Freshly squeezed orange juice is a must in the morning from the abundant trees all over the property. Then bake some bread and head down to the river to see if I can catch some lunch. Pick some organic salads and herbs from the garden on the way up to the house. Put the kettle on...a nice cup of tea...and I'm set!
Its the simple things in life that count...I know what I like...and I like what I know!