Kubla Khan - 'a vision in a dream' is a poem by Samuel Coleridge that describes a magical secret garden, surrounded by high walls and towers, a river running through it down to the sea, bright gardens with blossoming trees, ancient forests and hills.
Private, gated, spacious, modern, two storey open planned house overlooking 120 meters of the Chirripo River with breaohtaking views of Mountain Peaks, Virgin Rainforest and the San Isidro Valley.
Covered garage, electricity, hot water, large refridgerator/freezer, gas oven stove, espresso and filter coffee, electric juicer, 32" flat screen TV, Sky, Wifi, music speakers, laundry service (washer/dryer), BBQ area and.
Master bedroom with king size bed, walk in closet and balcony with hammock.
Second bedroom with double bed and storage shelves, cabinets and drawers.
Beautiful Gardens, Orchards and Vegetable Beds with Fresh Herbs and Salads.
Easy River Access to Waterfalls, Swimming Holes and Private Sunbathing Rocks right in front of property.
10 minutes by car to entrance of Chirripó National Park, Cloudbridge Reserve, Waterfalls, Hot springs and Botanical Gardens.
5 minutes walk to Cannan village center (Bar/Restaurant, Grocery Store, Soccer Pitch, Church)
30 minutes by car or bus to San Isidro City Center (population 45, 000)
1 hour by car to Dominical Beach for Surfing, Sport Fishing, Whale and Dolphin Watching
Countless Mountain Trails, including Climbing the 'Chirripó', Costa Rica's highest mountain peak, with guide and overnight stay at the base camp lodge
Horseback Riding, Kayaking, Paragliding (solo or tandem), Zip lining, Fishing
Healing and Bodywork, Massage, Yoga, Meditation, Tranquility!
Local Produce... Organic Coffee, Chocolate, Cheeses (Swiss, Mozzarella, Ricotta, Goat), Khalua and Hot Chili Sauces
Contemporary Fine Art at 'Monte Azul' Eco Hotel Restaurant and Artist Retreat.
Guests will have access to the entire property, which includes covered parking, bbq area, garden, orchard, vegetable gardens, fish pond and 120 meters of river front. The property is protected by a two meter high concrete wall with large wooden gates that can be locked to ensure privacy and security during your stay.
Interaction with guests
We live in another house on the property, about 50 meters from the main house, but it is private and has it's own entrance from the street.
We will require occasional access from the main gate to the vegetable garden and for river access. We will not approach or enter the house without prior approval.
The gardener comes for a few hours each day, but will not disturb you or come close to the house before 9.00am.
Other things to note
Although the house is only a 3 hour drive (without stops and traffic) from San José, you should take into consideration an hour to clear immigration, baggage and customs, another hour to collect your rental car, and then traffic, restroom coffee and grocery stops. You should calculate at least 6 hours from landing to arriving at the house. We strongly discourage you to drive in Costa Rica at night and it gets dark at around 6.00pm all year round. Therefore, your flight should arrive before midday, otherwise, we suggest spending the night in San José and driving out the following morning.
If renting a car, we strongly recommend that you reserve a 4x4 vehicle. You will not have any problems getting to the house, but you might find the driveway challenging and limit where you can drive to in the area, such as the hot springs and the Cloudbridge Reserve.
We have pets that live in our own house on the property (3 dogs and 1 cat). Please do not feed any of the animals and remember to send Smooki (the cat) home by latest 9.00pm. :) Thanks
1. Smoking is allowed outside only.
2. No outdoor shoes are to be worn inside the house.
3. People other than those in the Guest party set forth above may not stay overnight in the property. Any other person in the property is the sole responsibility of Guest.
4. The house is privately owned; the owners are not responsible for any accidents, injuries or illness that occurs while on the premises or its facilities. The Homeowners are not responsible for the loss of personal belongings or valuables of the guest. By accepting this reservation, it is agreed that all guests are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the premises or others whom they invite to use the premise.
5. Keep the property and all furnishings in good order
6. Only use appliances for their intended uses
7. Pets are not permitted on the property.
8. Housekeeping: There is no daily housekeeping service. Linens and bath towels are included in the house and laundry service is available. We suggest you bring beach towels. We do not permit towels or linens to be taken from the premises.
9. Fireplace: The fireplace is permitted to be used under supervision of an adult and extinguished prior to retiring to bed. The wood stove on the balcony is solely ornamental and should not be used. This may result in the forfeiting of your security deposit.
10. Toilet and Septic: The WC is on a septic system. The septic system is very effective; however, we ask you to NOT FLUSH anything, other than paper down the toilet. Please use the bin provided. No feminine products should be flushed at anytime. If it is found that feminine products have been flushed and clog the septic system, you could be charged damages of up to the full security deposit.
If there is a storm or hurricane, no refunds will be given unless:
•The state or local authorities order mandatory evacuations in a "Tropical Storm/Hurricane Warning area" in which case we will refund:
•Any unused portion of rent from a guest currently registered; or that is scheduled to arrive, and wants to shorten the stay, to come in after the Hurricane Warning is lifted; and any advance rents collected or deposited for a reservation that is scheduled to arrive during the "Hurricane Warning" period.
Please note. The Mountain roads in Costa Rica can be curvy and steep and sometimes gravely or muddy. We highly recommend four-wheel drive and do not refund due to road conditions.
12. Trash MUST BE SEPARATED as follows:
1. Regular dry trash (grey bin by garage)
2. Recyclable trash (yellow bin by garage)
3. Organic waste (compost at end of garden)
4. Food scraps...meat, dairy etc.(in river or give to Oldemar the gardener to dispose of)
Failure to separate the trash as instructed above will result in forfeiting $50 from your security deposit.
13. You will be issued one full set of keys on arrival, which will give you access to the two main gates, front door, downstairs storeroom and the safe. If you loose these keys or fail to hand them over on check out, you will forfeit $500 from the security deposit, as all locks will need to be changed
My wife, Tania, and I run a tour company called Chirriposa Retreats, that specializes in hosting yoga, wellness, art, photography and adventure retreats for groups, families and freinds within Costa Rica and in Europe. We love to spend time at the beach surfing and in the jungle, but find that a balance between the beach lifestyle and climate and that of the mountains and the cool river, is what makes us love Costa Rica so much. We spend time in between yoga groups at the house relaxing, working on the property and in the garden, growing our own fruits and vegetables. The river has a tremendous energy and healing properties...and has even offered up the occasional trout or two! I highly recommend diving into the ice cold swimming hole below the property and then lying out on the gigantic hot rocks to warm through.
I designed and built our house, along with local builders, and take great pride in keeping it well maintained. We enjoy a few home comforts, and may spend the odd rainy afternoon watching a movie or some premiership football on the television or taking a snooze in the hammock.
freshly squeezed orange juice is a must, in the morning, from the abundant trees all over the property. Then bake some bread and head down to the river to see if I can catch us some lunch. Pick some organic salad and herbs from the garden on the way up to the house. Put the kettle on...make a nice cup of tea...and happy days!