About This Listing
Situated on an historic street in Chelsea, what is special about this lovely home is that when you enter, it doesn't feel like a small NYC apartment. It's stylishly & elegantly furnished (think vintage modern) with comfort in mind. A true class act!
This bright and peaceful 750-sq.ft. open-plan 1-bedroom (plus full-size Murphey bed) is not your typical Manhattan apartment.
A well designed floor-plan takes advantage of most of the square footage in the unit, but what is special about this lovely home is that when you enter, it does not feel like you are in a small New York City apartment. It resembles a serene sanctuary in the country, but with contemporary flair and all the mod cons.
With most of the unit windows facing the courtyard, the views when you look out the windows into the garden are in no way that of a bustling city. Who would have thought that Penn Station, with access to multiple trains, buses, coaches and subway lines - many of which link directly to JFK, Newark and LaGuardia - is only two streets and one avenue away?
This apartment features a lovely sunken livingroom, hardwood floors throughout, a renovated modern granite and stainless kitchen with SubZero appliances, vaulted ceilings, wood burning fireplace, exposed brick, and a large dining mezzanine great for entertaining friends.
The apartment is stylishly and elegantly furnished (think vintage modern) with comfort in mind. Step into a breathing, living lung of gorgeous plants, potted and fresh cut flowers, and enjoy their healing power as you begin to relax and unwind from the stresses of modern day life.
If you are looking for a peaceful and quiet vacation home in which to recharge after a long day exploring the city, this could be your next big escape. A truly tranquil, hushed sanctuary in the middle of New York City!
• Central AC and heating
• Ceiling fans
• Verizon FIOS ultra high speed wireless internet
• Large flat screen smart television on multi-angle arm with cinematic surround sound wireless SONOS speaker system
• Apple TV with Netflix, Hulu Plus and HBO GO
• SONOS smart phone app controlled sound system with ability to select different music/radio in each room at different sound levels or mute + Spotify access for limitless choice in music
• Xbox 360 E 250GB to keep kids and big kids entertained
• Landline for free local and domestic calls
• Lutron dimmers throughout
• Gorgeous fully functional fireplace stocked with safe & environmentally friendly Duraflame logs for your use
• King-size Tempurpedic Rhapsody Breeze bed with Cooling. Step out of bed onto an ultra-fine alpaca rug
• Wireless laser jet printer, photocopier and scanner (print your boarding pass, for example)
• iMac with guest account for unlimited surfing, (website hidden)ing, FaceTiming, iMessaging, etc.
• Laundry facilities with complimentary powder in basement; ironing and drying rack in unit
• Fully equipped chef's kitchen, cookware, glassware, crockery and utensils for large group entertaining
• Breville dye cast metal appliances: espresso machine that grinds fresh beans with every cup, milk frother, toaster oven, toaster, food processor, juicer, citrus fruit juicer, and more.
• Complimentary Illy coffee beans from Italy & Wholefoods Buzz Free Decaf
• 3/4 dishwasher, oven, gas stovetop
• Subzero refrigerator and freezer
• Extra-wide oversized luxurious down-filled couch and cashmere throws ideal for napping and snuggling à deux fireside over a movie
• Complimentary CitiBike access for two. Overage fees for exceeding 40 minutes and key fob replacement cost at your expense.
Interaction with Guests
• I will provide a detailed arrival and orientation guide
• I will be my absolute pleasure to answer all questions about the apartment
• Regrettably, I will not be able to act as a tour guide
The exciting and yet restful location of your vacation home is just steps to the famous Chelsea Highline, Whole Foods, Fairway and Trader Joes supermarkets (in addition to a less salubrious yet perfectly adequate supermarket kitty corner), the Fashion Institute of Technology, Chelsea Piers (and modern riverside parks for picnicking and relaxing) and some of the city's best eateries. For both casual and fine dining, meander south along 9th, 10th and 8th avenues through the 20s and high teens (Chelsea), the low teens (cobblestoned Meatpacking District) and Greenwich Village. Head a few blocks east, and you'll hit Korea Town, the Flower District and Madison Square Park (and the best dog park in Manhattan!). A stone's throw to the north is the bustling, restaurant-filled Hell's Kitchen neighbourhood, Times Square, the Theatre District, Columbus Circle and, finally, the southern end of Central Park.
Situated on an historic street in Chelsea (the Underground Railway during the slave trade) the apartment is 4 minutes walk to the 1, 2, 3, A, C and E subway lines, Penn Station, Long Island Railway, Amtrak, New Jersey Transit, MTA and intercity buses, and a further 8 minute walk to Port Authority and its many buses/coaches.
Other Things to Note
The apartment comfortably sleeps five (5). One couple in the bedroom on a magnificent California King Tempurpedic bed. A second couple on the stunning and ultra-comfortable Tempurpedic Full Size (aka Double) Murphey Bed.
A fifth person can be very comfortably accommodated on the extra-wide down filled luxury sofa, if needed.
Please remember that you are FRIENDS of the owner and are his GUESTS. This is what is called in the US a Coop, not a condo, so guests are welcome!
Please do not smoke under any circumstances.
Please don't wear shoes inside (but please do not leave outside front door). No shoes whatsoever please on the ultra-fine white alpaca rug.
Please extinguish all candles upon leaving the apartment, even for short periods.
Please do not water the plants unless they literally appear to be wilting.
When using the downstairs laundry facilities with complimentary powder, please switch off all lights and close the door at the top of the staircase EVEN between short cycles.
Please be honest and report any damage to furniture or the apartment, including stains.
No loud television or music after midnight.
What a beautiful place! Great locale, a beautiful apartment in a classic NYC building, and expertly decorated including a sweet Sonos sounds system. Couldn't have been a better experience and highly recommended.
Chris met us on our arrival and showed us through the apartment. We were very impressed. Everything was as advertised. Chris offered to field any calls to answer our questions at any time. happily we didn't have to bother him too much as our apartment worked out to be really comfortable and well appointed. The use of Chris' computer and printer, internet, sonos devices was added bonus for us.
Although I didn't get to meet him, Chris was a great host. Friendly and informative from the first enquiry to chats on the phone about where to eat in the local area. He made sure we were well looked after and provided detailed instructions on how to use everything. The apartment is beautiful, spotlessly clean and incredibly quiet. A luxurious retreat in the middle of NYC. We were there during what my daughter called 'the blizzard that never was' and as New York shut down, I couldn't think of a more perfect place to be stuck inside. We lit the fire, cooked dinner and just relaxed.
The only thing to keep in mind is that the apartment is up 3 narrow flights of stairs, which was no problem for us (especially as Chris' lovely cleaner helped us bring our bags up) and I personally prefer being higher up, but could be difficult if you can't manage stairs. Overall I highly recommend this apartment and would definitely stay here next time we visit NYC. Thanks Chris for such a wonderful airbnb experience!
Chris was wonderful to deal with. He explained all the details about his apartment and access to his apartment in great detail.
His apartment is superbly decorated, clean, and full of all the necessities that you could ask for.
The apartment is situated close to Penn station in Midtown, which means you have easy access to all subway lines. Living in Midtown means you are close to Time Square, and centraly located to explore either Uptown or Downtown with ease.
I highly recommend Chris and i would not hesitate in booking to stay there again on my next visit to NY.
The apartment is fantastic - spacious, well decorated, very comfortable. Short walk from Penn Station, easy walk to theaters and other areas. Very accommodating host - great experience all around.
Chris was incredibly welcoming and friendly right from the very beginning. He went out of his way to make sure we were taken care of and had all the information we needed at our finger tips. The apartment was gorgeous and exceeded expectations. The photos here do not do it justice. It was a real pleasure to be in such a comfortable and luxurious space. The location was fantastic and made it even more of a catch. 11 / 10 ...exceeded expectations.
We had a wonderful time staying at this location. It really is superbly situated for uptown or downtown with Penn station 5 minutes away.
The apartment was in excellent condition and very tastefully decorated, offering a quiet space away from the hustle and bustle of the big city.
Our host provided a range of recommendations for local food and groceries. We cant praise the host highly enough. Would definitely stay again