Close to many of Vancouver's most popular attractions. Minutes from English Bay & Stanley Park. Safe DOWNTOWN location near Davie Village. Walk-able & transit friendly. Well suited for new beginnings, the business traveler and, vacation adventurer.
***PLEASE READ---->We enjoy sharing our home and feel it best to be open and detailed about what we offer. It is our goal to make your stay a pleasant one.
Hi there! We're a fun friendly couple renting extra bedroom(s) in Vancouver's most popular neighbourhood - The West End (Downtown).
We live modestly, the location is great, and space is ample considering most downtown dwellings. Well suited for new beginnings, new residents, the corporate business traveler and vacation adventurer. Also ideal for someone that needs more time to look for more permanent accommodation.
RENTAL RATE (Utilities Included)
Nightly: $50, additional guest $10.
Weekly: $300, additional guest $70.
Monthly: $ 1000, additional guest $200 (that's 600 each)
Cat/Small Pet: $50/month each as per building requirement
Deposit: Depends on length of stay
In addition, we do NOT charge cleaning costs or deposits of any kind for short-term rentals. You'll pay for the room plus a small amount to AirBnB (all hosts are required to make this charge) and that's it. Consider that hostel rates for similar private room start at $85-$100 per night. FYI: For our postal code AirBNB suggests we rent the room for $202/night!
- English Bay area just a few blocks away - near Davie Village.
- Short walk to amazing variety of ethnic restaurants
- Safe during the day and at night
- Location is convenient to public transit, connect you to everything, including the airport (30 min cab)& greyhound hub
- Bus stop in front of building (# 5, # 6, # C21).
- Frequent buses to all downtown Skytrain stations (Expo or Canada Line)Stations: Burrard (or brisk walk), Granville, Yaletown, Stadium/Chinatown).
- Walking distance to sea-wall, Stanley Park, Sunset Beach and English Bay.
- The West End neighbourhood is considered a walker's paradise, with a Walk Score of 94/100. Daily errands do not require a car.
- Grocery open till 3am, 24 hrs on weekends
- Many 24 hour places to dine, party and lounge
- 3 swimming pools close by
- No lease, no take-over, end date flexible.
- Long-term 3-6 month rentals ideal, will happily consider other durations
ABOUT THE SPACE
- Available for long-term monthly starting *March 28th, 2014* View calendar for available dates.
- Two bedroom apartment (both for rent at this time★), one clean spacious bathroom to share. No traditional living/dining room as we live in that space.
- Room is available furnished OR unfurnished - it's your call (double bed, bedding, towels, bedside table, alarm clock/radio, lamp, cable TV, DVD player, desk & chair)
- Due to our varying schedules we typically don't need to vie for the washroom
***While this provides an ideal opportunity for many to stay downtown at a more economical rate, we understand that it is not for everyone. We do try our best to make it work.***
- Close to busy areas (not ideal for super light sleepers), although building is on main street, the suite is near the back of the building facing the gardens
- Meals not included. Many of our guests prefer to eat out at the many restaurants in the area
- Dimensions (10'x12.5' Room 140sq/ft total; 13sq/m total)
Measurements are to the closes half-foot
- Utilities include: Heat, hydro, cable tv, wireless high speed (WiFi) internet, access to DVD Library
- Mini-walk in closet
- Large east facing window
- Beautiful north-west facing views of heritage building with mature landscaping, can see a sliver of the water & of course mountains
- The kitchen is equipped (microwave, toaster, blender, etc.)
- Laundry facilities in building, open 24hrs
- Pet friendly building, so don't be surprised to see some furry neighbours
- Guests okay with advance notice
- We ask that you clean up after yourself. Especially in common areas
- For stays of over a month chores/housekeeper rate negotiable
- Storage options available, separate bike storage
- Limited street parking, limited hours, but lot parking available nearby
- This room tends to attract long-term occupants. One stayed as long as two years. Plus, we also use multiple sources to find our tenants. Hence, not as many reviews for this room.
*Single futon shown in picture, but double bed currently.
- No gender preference as long as it is a good fit
- Okay with international students/shift-workers
- Economically & mentally stable
- Have character references available
- Genuine, honest, easy going, mature
- Ideally, lived with roommates before, house-trained, clean, considerate etc.
- Friendly and willing to communicate your needs as living with happy people is always ideal :o)
- Non-party-animal, non-drama-queen
- Non-smoker, no drugs (it's your life but at least not at the appt.)
- Prepare own meals but we're pretty friendly so hopefully we can have dinner together from time to time.
- Heterosexual couple
- Work regular and odd hours
- We're late risers so there's generally no conflicts for the washroom
- Spiritual, easygoing, artsy, business focused, and friendly
- He's a social extrovert, she a natural deep thinking introvert (don't worry we do get along haha)
- We like outdoor activities like walking, tennis and cycling
- We try to be neat, but not OCD neat!
- We have enjoyed hosting people from all over the world, including England, New Zealand, Germany, Denmark, France, the US, & Canada
- We try to be as helpful as possible, and gladly steer our flat-mates in the right direction to experience an excellent Vancouver adventure.
- Some of our past guests have brought their cats along, we loved having them
- We left the heavy partying long ago, but still like socializing
- Be aware that we are up in the middle of the night often, probably not the best for very light sleepers
- Non-vegetarian (but don't mind if you're not, we'll try to be respectful)
1) Please reply with a little bit of information about yourself and/or what you liked about this posting. 2) Please ask about anything that we did not cover. fyi)We like to speak with our long-term guests ahead of time, if possible. Just to get to know each other. We look forward to hearing from you - lets talk.
Best wishes on your search!
•°•°★★•°•°★★•°•°★•° ★★•°★★•°•°★★•°•°★•° •°•°★★•
NEW TO "The West End" NEIGHBOURHOOD?
Info below: About the Neighbourhood, Activities & Attractions, Popularity, Demographics, Local Lingo, Location, Vacancy, Borders of the West End
★•°★★•°•°★ ABOUT THE NEIGHBOURHOOD?
* The coast of the peninsula makes up Vancouver’s Sea Wall, which offers biking, rollerblading, walking, and running paths along the waters of the Burrard Inlet, False Creek and English Bay.
* Excellent location. Skytrain is short walk/bus ride away
* 10 min transportation or 20 min walking to downtown core
* Walking distance to the famous Robson Street Mall, Pacific Centre
* Water taxi that connects Sunset Beach to Granville Island/Public Market, Science World, False Creek, Yaletown and Vanier Park
* Short bus ride takes you to the hub of Kitsilano
* All downtown English language schools, BCIT, SFU, and VCC downtown campuses are 5-20min away
* Olympic size pool, workout room, and diving are available to use, at the Aquatic Center for a small fee
* Plenty of green spaces or cafes to enjoy to sit and read a book or go for a walk and enjoy the fantastic areas Vancouver has to offer
* Convenient store/pharmacy open 24 hrs, bank, variety of ethnic restaurants, gift shops, community center, library, movie theatre complex, internet cafes, hospital etc.
* "Davie Village" is home of the city's gay subculture and roughly includes the area between Burrard and Jervis streets. While some business do specialize in their services, these sites do not only cater to the LGBT community, but also provides a space for the heteronormative society to join in. The West End and Vancouver as a whole is an open and inclusive place to be.
* Not sure how far your destination is from English Bay...Check out the transit website (website hidden) tripplanning "d o t" translink "d o t" ca
★•°★★•°•°★ ACTIVITIES & ATTRACTIONS
Walk/Cycle/Run/Rollerblade along the famous Stanley Park Seawall. Take a champagne sunset cruise in English Bay. Go on a early morning Kayak tour, or whale watching tour. Ride up to the top of Grouse Mountain. Swim from the beach or pool. Shop in world class stores. Eat in excellent restaurants representing cuisine from around the world. Take a ride on Stanley Park’s Minature Train, explore the Vancouver Aquarium also in Stanley Park. Fly a kite or join a football, volleyball, on the beach. Go to a ice hockey game. Experience first class theater, or explore the beauties of the Pacific North- West Native art at the Archeology Museum. Watch the international Vancouver Fireworks competition over English Bay in the Summer time. Drink a Belini. Take a weekend/day trip to explore some of British Columbia & Washington (Whistler, Victoria, Bowen Island, Sunshine Coast, Bellingham, or Seattle). Stay at home and relax with a good book, game, or movie.
Like other downtown neighbourhoods, the West End is popular and thus densely populated. While it is one of the most affordable areas downtown, Vancouver as a whole remains as one of the most expensive cities in Canada/US. Hence, you will find many a resident renting out living rooms, dining rooms, and albeit shocking, even closets. It is reminiscent of New York housing where it is also not unheard of to find 8 people sharing a room!
-The West End is home to a mixed population, old and young (51% of residence being between 20 and 40), of Canadians, immigrants and international transient residents.
-It's also home to the gay village called "Davie Village", centred primarily on Davie Street between Burrard and Bute, with a substantial gay population living throughout the West End.
-Residents tend to be younger professionals, families, and some lower-income earners. Vancouver apartments range from single story homes, to multi-level apartments, and high-rise buildings. Condominiums also available in most areas.
★•°★★•°•°★ LOCAL LINGO
The West End is not to be confused with the West Side (which denotes the western half of the non-downtown part of Vancouver city to the south) or West Vancouver ("West Van"), a separate municipality. (Conversely, and to the confusion of some, "East Van", "the East End", "the East Village" and "the East Side" all denote East Vancouver. While the East Village is a particular area located in the north east part of East Van.
The West End of Vancouver, British Columbia, is located on the western half of the downtown peninsula. Neighboring areas include Stanley Park [1000 acre (4 km²)], Coal Harbour, Yaletown. It is adjacent to the downtown core business and financial districts, with traffic calmed streets punctuated by concrete islands, sidewalk barricades, and mini-parks and many residential heritage buildings. It has more of a "neighbourhood feel" than any other of downtown's areas. Key arteries through the west end include Davie Street, Denman Street, Robson Street, West Georgia and Thurlow Street.
★•°★★•°•°★ VACANCY... or rather NO-VACANCY
(Isn't it obvious yet - We love living here!) With an apartment rental vacancy of just 0.2%, its going to be tricky. While the vacancy rate is extremely low, more than 80% of all the suites in the West End are rentals – so there is some hope! For those visiting Vancouver’s West End for a few months, short-term sublets may prove to be ideal. Planning for a longer stay? Thinking about moving permanently to Vancouver’s beautiful west end? A lease would be more fitting. Many Vancouver apartment managers forgo advertising their rental units, as putting up a sign out front is usually enough to drive multiple inquiries within a short period of time. The most popular will even have waiting lists. The best advice is to walk around the neighbourhood, bring a cell phone, and make inquiries on the spot. With this kind of market, it will be particularly challenging if you are trying to arrange a lease/permanent housing before your arrival.
★•°★★•°•°★ OFFICIAL BORDERS OF THE WEST END
The official definition of the West End of Vancouver, set forth by the City of Vancouver, is the area west of Burrard Street, east of Denman Street, and south of West Georgia. Generally, however, the west end is considered to be everything from Burrard Street to Stanley Park.
keywords: private room, bachelor, suite, bedroom, rental, accommodation, available now.
Davie, Few Blocks from English Bay
Hey you two!
We are safe back home and really enjoyed the stay in Vancouver! Thanks for all the recommendations and the warm welcome. We will miss those canadian burgers...
Sylvia and Frieder
Patrik and Kathleen are just gorgeous. Their apartment is well suited to an affordable stay in Vancouver. Good location to explore local restaurants & the city.
Patrik and Kathleen's place was exactly what I was looking for! A comfy bed, a big window with a lovely garden view and an unbeatable location. You can walk or get public transport to everywhere in Vancouver from here and it's easy to hire a bike and explore the area as well. Patrik and Kathleen know a whole lot about Vancouver and gave me a map on my arrival, which was handy. There was another guest there at the time and the whole household went out for sushi which was great fun. I'd love to stay with Patrik and Kathleen if I come to Vancouver again!
Der Aufenthalt bei Kathleen und Patrik war unsere erste airbnb Erfahrung und auf Grund dieser tollen Erfahrung würden wir auf alle Fälle airbnb wieder machen.
Wir konnten bereits sehr früh am Morgen anreisen und wurden sehr freundlich empfangen. Kathleen Und Patrik gaben uns wirklich viele Infos und Tipps für unsere Zeit in Vancouver (Wir haben von ihnen so viele Prospekte und Info Material bekommen, dass wir perfekt ausgestattet waren). Das Zimmer haben wir genauso vorgefunden - geräumig, mit Schrank und Tisch - und das Teilen des Bads war problemlos. Auch in der Küche haben uns die beiden einen Schrank ausgeräumt,was super war, um Einkäufe verstauen zu können. Wifi ist auch vorhanden.
Die beiden sind also sehr liebe und hilfsbereite Gastgeber und wir würden sie auf alle Fälle weiter empfehlen.
Vielen Dank Kathleen und Patrik für die tolle Zeit und eure Gastfreundschaft! Lisa & Lisa
The apartment has an excellent location on Davie Street. The city centre and metro station are within walking distance. It offers excellent value for money and the hosts were very welcoming.
Excellent neighbourhood and lovely hosts. Received lots of information from Patrik about Vancouver and hope to come back one day.
Lovely clean space and fabulous position in Downtown Vancouver.
If you like one of the best spots in Vancouver you should stay with Patrik and Kathleen. They are a great host , respect your space and they are really warm and hospitable. It's an excellent location, very close to the English bay, Stanley park and other popular spots in Vancouver downtown. The apartment is very clean, you will have a lot of space. Patrik and Kathleen taught me all the basics about sushi and I felt really comfortable. Wonderful people, I highly recommend to stay with them if you look for a cozy place in Van. Thanks for all!
This host has 40 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
- Heterosexual couple (for our neighbourhood we thought we would clarify) :P
- Spiritual, easygoing, artsy, business focused, and friendly
- He's a social extrovert, she a natural deep thinking introvert (don't worry we do get along ha-ha)
- She's in her early 30's and he just hit 40! Albeit a young 40
- We were both born overseas but both raised in Canada from a very young age (Him-Eastern Canada "the centre of the universe aka the T-dot"; Her-Western Canada)
- He's fluent in Armenian.
- In our daily lives we can't live without our phones, email or internet
- We enjoy having people stay with us and helping them navigate through our lovely city
- Our longest guest ended up staying with us for 2 years!