About This Listing
This is a really light, sunny attic flat right in heart of Madrid in the popular Anton Martin/Lavapiés area. The area is very lively and multicultural so it's great for eating out and has loads of interesting bars and pavement cafes. The flat is close to two metro stops (Lavapiés and Antón Martín), several bus routes and not far from Atocha train station. It's also within really easy walking distance of:
- the Prado, the Reina Sofía and the Thyssen-Bornemisza art museums;
- Plaza Mayor, Gran Vía and la Puerta de Sol (for shopping and site seeing)
- La Casa Encendida and the Circo Price (just down the road)
- the Retiro (a park well worth visiting)
- the Rastro (Madrid's lively Sunday flea market)
- Plaza Santa Ana and Calle Huertas (nightlife and tapas)
The flat has lots of charm (sloping ceilings, wooden beams, traditional tiled floor, rooftop views) but (unlike lots of attic flats in Madrid!) the ceilings are high so you have lots of headroom. It's very quiet (despite the central location) and though it's not huge (50m2), it feels spacious and is very comfortable. The bedroom is large and there is loads of storage. There's a double bed in the bedroom, a big sofa bed in the lounge and the possibility of an extra single (fold out) bed if needed. It has a fully equipped kitchen, TV and WIFI. AND HAS AIR CON! The only thing it doesn't have is a lift (like lots of buildings in the centre of Madrid) but we can give a hand with bags if necessary (it's 4 floors).
Families are welcome - let us know if you need any lego!
The flat was our first home together so it is much loved! Most people who see it fall in love with it, so we're confident you will too! We'll also do our best to make you feel at home.
[Late check-in (after 10pm) 25€ surcharge.]
Be considerate of the neighbours (no parties)
Turn off the heating/air con when you're not in
Take rubbish down after 8pm and leave in the bin outside the front door
No smoking please
No animals allowed
My husband and I had a nice stay at Anna's flat in Madrid.
Here's what was great about the apartment:
1) The location. It is a 10 minute walk down to Atocha, the Reina Sofia, and the Paseo del Prado. El Retiro is a further 5 minutes, as is the Museo del Prado. 5 minutes in the other direction will take you to all the restaurants and bars you could possibly want: Huertas, Plaza de Santa Ana, Sol, and Plaza Mayor are all within 10 minutes' walk.
2) Charm. The flat is traditional with exposed beams and tile floors. Nice rooftop view out the windows.
3) It's quiet. We were amazed that we couldn't hear any street noise as we were in Madrid for the Fiesta de San Isidro. I've never seen so many people in the streets, but the flat was very quiet.
4) A/C. Even when the weather is mild, it's going to be hot in a 4th floor walk-up, so we appreciated the efficient air conditioning units in both the bedroom and the living room.
5) Anna's guidance. Anna left a guidebook with restaurant and sightseeing suggestions that we really appreciated. She also responded promptly to texts and was generally just very friendly and helpful.
There were a couple things that we loved less about the apartment:
1) The bed. It was awful for us. We're no longer spry 20 year olds who can sleep anywhere and wake refreshed. The mattress was only about 4-6 inches thick and felt like a futon mattress. We couldn't have stayed longer having to sleep in that bed.
2) The apartment appeared less clean than we were expecting. We used to live in an old house and in old houses there are places that just won't come clean anymore, so maybe it was that. Regardless, it seemed like it could benefit from a really thorough deep clean session.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay very much and would recommend this property. Thanks, Anna!
Anna and her husband made us very welcome and responded to our inquiries quickly. Their flat is quite small, particularly the bathroom, but it is clean, light, conveniently located, has air conditioning and served us very well. It is on the fourth floor so wouldn't be easy for someone who isn't reasonably fit but this didn't worry us at all. It is really quiet with no street noise. A great flat for exploring Madrid.
The apartment was beautiful and was just as explained in the page. The location was perfect with a few local Cafés and bars nearby. Palacio Real, Plaza Mayor, Gran Via, Puerta del sol were all short walking distance from the apartment, so taking an evening stroll for drinks or food was convenient. Plus the nearest metro station, Anton Martin was a 2 mins walk from the place. The apartment itself was clean and very comfortable, even with 6 of us staying there! Anna ensured that all the necessary items were available to us if needed.
Would highly recommend this place to anyone looking, as I would happily stay here again if I was to revisit Madrid.
P.S. The cake baked by Anna was absolutely amazing and went down a treat!
Perfect space in a wonderfully central location in Madrid. Everything you could need, and an incredibly warm and friendly welcome.
We had a fantastic 8 days in Anna and Pablo's lovely flat. It was comfortable spacious and a pleasure to return to at the end of a busy Madrid day. Especially pleasing to come in in the late afternoon to have a little snooze in the sunshine streaming in through the westerly windows. Enjoyed coffees/drinks and tapas in Cafe Tirso Molina sitting in the square watching the world go by ... Generally excellent neighbourhood, everything you want is nearby. Anna and Pablo most helpful .... Do go stay here!!
The flat was charming and well equipped and the hosts (Anna and Pablo) were very friendly and helpful. In fact they really went out of their way to ensure we had everything we needed. Would definitely recommend to others!
Квартира полностью соответствует описанию. Удобно спланирована, хороший дизайн, кухня достаточно оснащена, чисто, отопление хорошее. Ночью тихо. Район лучше, чем можно ожидать. Рядом большой супермаркет. Ближайшее пересечение - это улица этнических кафе и ресторанов. Отличная индийская кухня (дёшево). Все достопримечательности в пешей доступности. Хозяева приветливы и доброжелательны. Соответствие цена-качество 10 баллов. Мы были втроём 5 дней в конце марта. Очень рекомендую!!!
About the Host, Anna
We're Pablo and Anna. Pablo is a graphic designer who runs his own studio in Madrid and Anna... well, at the moment, she looks after our three kids, but she used to work in film & TV. She was born in the UK but has lived in Spain for 20 years. Pablo is a 'Madrileño' but has lived all over Spain.
We love old houses, mountains, peace & quiet and rural living (until recently, we lived in the mountains near Granada in the south of Spain) but now, we're firmly back in the hustle and bustle of Madrid.
Anna loves theatre and spends the summer running workshops for the kids in the village where we used to live (Pablo usually gets roped in as an actor!). She also loves cooking (she bakes LOTS of cakes), walking and curling up with a good book. Pablo likes painting, drawing & all things design-related. (He's also really good at stuff like paper folding). When he's not being creative he likes watching the world go by from a terraza.
The flat we are renting out was our first home together (where we had our first baby and where we were really happy). Most people think the flat has a great vibe about it (and we couldn't agree more!) - we hope you enjoy your stay.