THIS IS THE 2 TOP FLOORS of a 3 story townhouse!
5 BEDROOM, 2 1/2 BATH, LUXURY APARTMENTS with bright, airy, luxurious common areas and park-like views:
- 2 giant kitchens, 2 dining areas with a huge variety of great breakfast foods, drinks, snacks....no extra charge.
- Cable TV lounge area with FREE WIFI,
- 2 1/2 beautiful bathrooms, (2 large, 1 small)
- Washer and Dryer for your use,
- Giant Roof Deck - generally not more than 10 guests there at one time.
MY OTHER LISTING IS FOR ONLY THE TOP FLOOR APARTMENT FOR FEWER GUESTS BUT AT A LOWER COST. PLEASE CHECK MY OTHER LISTING TO THE RIGHT.
The host, a past interior designer and student of archecture, enjoys providing luxurious, fashionable, neat - clean space with everything included for your maximum comfort.
Nestled on a quiet, friendly and safe block in the lovely historic Hamilton Heights section of Uptown Manhattan, the home is a fashionable 3 family Townhouse where the 2 top floors have been set-aside as a guest house.
BEST LOCATION for getting around Manhattan:
A few steps to two (2) of the major subway lines, which quickly take you to most of New York City's attractions:
* 10 minutes to attractions uptown,
* 15-20 minutes to midtown (Times Square, etc)
* 20-25 minutes to downtown (Wall Street, Ground Zero, Statue of Liberty access, etc.
Guests' Reviews (below) show how much they loved it. We provide maps and direction details once the booking is complete, or please ask.
Its a very friendly/safe neighborhood in a very safe city.
SUBWAYS: Manhattan gets more narrow the further Uptown you go, so that the subways and buses are all very close-by.
* The "C" train is 3 short-blocks east and travels straight down Central-Park-West (Museum of Natural History, Lincoln Center, etc., and stays on Manhattan's West Side all the way to Ground ZERO, the Staten Island Ferry & the Statue of Liberty.
* The "1" train is 3 short-blocks west and travels down Broadway crossing the 1 train into more Central Midtown & Downtown (Times Square, Empire State Building, Museum of Modern Art, etc).
* City Buses are at the end of the block both ways and travel all over the city.
* Taxi Service (Kennedy taxi-service) main office is also at the end of the block.
For your arrival, we are pleased to give you clear and easy directions to/from the Townhouse from all Airports, Train Stations or Bus terminals.
THEY ARE PROVIDED ONCE YOUR BOOKING IS COMPLETED.
Some BEDROOMS have locks with keys - others merely lock from the inside for privacy: Rooms hold (phone number hidden) total. (2 more could be added, if needed)
UPPER LEVEL...(Penthouse floor):
* The smaller bedroom is for 2 guests, with a queen-size bed.
* The larger bedroom holds up to 5 guests and has a double bed and three singles.
* The front suite consists of the Living Room with a sleeping alcove which has a bunk-bed (double on the bottom and single on top) plus two large-deep-comfortable sofa sectionals that sleep 2, for a total of up to 5. Normally kids sleep on the sofas but they are truely comfortable (I've slept there during remodeling)
LOWER LEVEL...(next floor down):
* The smaller room sleeps up to 4 with a very comfortable double and a less comfortable fold-down bed.
* The larger bedroom, next door, also sleeps up to 4 with a queen-size bed, and two singles - all quite comfortable.
Guests have maximum space & comfort with about 2000 square foot. Up to 20 guests can stay there, but could be quite crowded during a long stay unless some are kids. To have the maximum of spaciousness you would likely feel best with about 8 guests upstairs and 6 in the rear lower level bedrooms...this depends on the make-up of the guests, of course. Please tell me about your group's makeup and ask my opinion.
If you feel crowded with your luggage taking up too much space, it can be left on the entrance floor next to the staircase.
The host's private studio is at the front of the lower level.
JUST BRING CLOTHES: Wi-Fi, Cable TV, towels/linens, iron/ironing board, hair-dryer, breakfast foods/snacks, etc. are all included at no extra charge.
We provide many healthful breakfast foods for you to prepare in our lovely kitchen:
* Cereals: hot & cold (oatmeal, cream of wheat, boxed cold cereals),
* Eggs, breakfast meats and various breads, muffins, Jellys/Jams
* A variety of fresh FRUITS in season, and fresh fruit JUICES
* Choice of various Coffee's and Teas,
* Miscellaneous snacks including cheeses, crackers & nuts.
**** FREE bottle of Wine for each group !! Your choice of inexpensive but very good California wines. Minimal charge for extra bottles.
I very much enjoy hosting visitors to New York. I am continually improving the space to make it very special for travelers. I have a design/architecture background and this place is the crowning glory of years of work.
If you have questions about the available amenities, feel free to ask or suggest. I am open to ideas for making this place one that everyone loves. I've made several improvements as a result of suggestions!
Smoking allowed only on the roof deck, or in the kitchen/dining area using the exhaust fan.
The apartment is owned and hosted by me, Bob, and I live in the front suite on the lower level.
I am a minor New York City historian completing my college thesis on "Harlem - Past, Present and Future". I am a walking encyclopedia: privy to a plethora of little known facts about not only Harlem but all of Manhattan. At times, I have given private tours around the island to enrich the experience of his guests. Please inquire if you might like one of those tours.
The top floor apartment and roof deck is totally private. The front door has a (email hidden) keys.
The floor below has two bedrooms, large bathroom, kitchen and dining area for the guests use, however most groups congregate upstairs and/or on the roof deck. This lower apartment also has the owners' studio apartment: office/hide-a-bed/lving room.
Friendly Bob, the host, is always available for help and advice but tires his best to give as much privacy as you would like.
The neighborhood is made-up of Townhouses and Apartment buildings and is very freindly and quiet.
Yet, it is close to all of the City's attractions.
Subways close, Buses at the end of the block in both directions and a taxi service 1/2 block away.
Luggage storage space always available for guests that are leaving late in the day. Its also available for empty suitcases just to give more space in the apartments.
|Room type:||Entire home/apt|
|Bed type:||Real Bed|
|Extra people:||$25 / night after 12 guests|
|Minimum Stay:||2 nights|
|Weekly Price:||$5000 /week|
|Monthly Price:||$15000 /month|
Our stay in Bob's townhouse—and with Bob—could not have been a better experience. He welcomed us at 7 am as we were coming straight from our redeye flight, and toured us through his beautiful home. Everything was as-advertised, and the place was in great working condition. Bob even stocked the fridge with lots of breakfast food, snacks and coffee (which was of the highest importance, since NYC temps were in the low 20s!). The bathrooms and towels were clean, and the beds very comfortable. The location is upper Harlem is great, as it's only a few blocks from a subway stop. Our group of 8 had a great experience, and we would definitely recommend Bob as a host. (He even generously drove me to a car rental place so I could pick up our passenger van for a day trip to Jersey, thus saving me cab fare!)
Bob is a lovely man with a lovely story and a lovely house. He was friendly and happy and welcoming. He went to the store and got us food, which was very nice of him.
However the house was not clean upon arrival (we found mold In the laundry room and several guests complained of same in their bedrooms) and the dishwasher was out of order, putting a huge and unexpected cleaning onus on a group of people who were told they had all the amenities for their stay and had certainly paid for such. A cleaning fee was included in the AirBNB cost and we all carefully scoured house rules, and followed them to the letter. Any complaint of such is in falsehood and a real shame.
In addition upon arrival we were told one of the beds (the trundle) simply doesn't work as one - this bed should not be advertised, then, as part of sleeping arrangements, as we had carefully arranged ours including it. Bob was unapologetic about this - he said we could get it to work if we tried hard. We tried everything: it is not a bed that works. The "up to 20" guests on this house listing is mythical. There's no way for 20 people to fit here if they were to try it, unless they have no luggage and don't mind sleeping on top of each other.
The guests that shared a floor with Bob reported that while he was friendly, he took up a lot of their time and ate food they left in the refrigerator.
It is not a house we would return to or suggest for any party over 10. Similarly there should be a pre-arrival checkin that all the amenities are in working order. A moldy washer, a dryer that heats the house to 150 degrees, beds that don't work as them or are stuffed in closets to build up the number of people you can advertise on a listing, mold in other corners, a nonworking dishwasher all followed by complaints that vacationing guests without the promised amenities were not spotless, did not make everyone happy. In fact there were none in our group truly happy with the arrangements, just the company, which was a shame. Bob is a nice man and should lower the amount of guests he expects can stay in this house as well as really scrub the place top to bottom before accepting another stay.
I'm surprised at such comments since 99% of my guests leave great reviews and I'm usually pleased and proud. But I'm also required to review my guests and only 3 of a total of 300 past guests have I not recommended to other hosts, even though this group were mostly nice folks. I suppose my negative recommendation caused this reaction. My response:
1. My space is professionally cleaned between every group of guests. I've had recent problems with the dish-washer leaking onto the wood floors. While it was being repaired (now done) I asked guests to wash their dishes and stand them on the drainboards and, while they're out, I'd dry and put them away, clean the common areas and check the stock of foods. Melissa agreed but didn't comply.
2. I've also had a problem with the dryer-vent being partially blocked, so that some of the safe warm/moist air is directed back into the space. It will soon be cleaned. Its the likely source of harmless winter-mold that I've not yet observed.
3. My listing says that it can hold 20 guests if some are kids, but crowded if all are adults. Melissa booked 16 adults but then 18 arrived. She agreed to pay the extra but left without payment. I don't much care about the money, but now she complains about being crowded? Speaking of Crowded....there's a separate luggage storage area available if the apartment feels crowded.
4. The Trundle bed works fine and I would have happily assisted them if asked.
5. I doubt that I ate a guest's food, unless by an odd mistake.
I never saw Melissa after I gave her the initial tour of my place, so why all the complaints and not say something to me?...I am always available. Complaints are fine when you're given the chance to respond to them.
I'm a "people-person" that loves to host guests, and I continue to enjoy it much.
Bob was a great host! He offered his entire house and all the services he could possibly give. The upper apartment is very nice and has all the services of a full apartment for vacation, you won't need anything else. On the lower apartment is were he lives, and if groups are big as ours was, he will fit everybody in, but if you would like more privacy, then the upper apartment which is the one he rent for 10 or less(if I am not wrong) would be your option.
The zone is great, and has subways near by. Do not hesitate to stay at Bob's and leave your memories in his world map!
The apartment is very nice and for New York standards spacious. It's well equipped, clean and comfortable with enough airconditioning even on the hottest days. We loved the roof deck.
Breakfast is unmatched: the best we had in 3 weeks USA.
Bob is a very helpful host, with lots of stories and tips about New York. With reason he is proud of the apartment and expects the same from you.
Since he lives in the same building you will surely get to know him.
Robert has been the perfect host. First, he accepted me and my 15 college students as guests. I wanted my students to live a real New York experience by living all together in an apartement. He was very welcoming and made us feel like home. We didn't see him the rest of the weekend, but he was available to answer any of our questions. The students really enjoyed their stay and had a great time on the rooftop terrace! The fridge was always full of food and we didn't miss anything, everything was furnished. The neighbourhood was great, we felt safe and the subway was at a short walking distance. I hope to come back!
Everything was perfect!! we loved it, we were so confortable each with a room and bed. everything is soo clean and you have everything to cook , and the breakfast was perfect. The neighborhood is very nice and you can get anything, the subway is close also. And bob is a great person always caring that you are ok! Thank you bob for letting us stay there!! We wish you all the best!! JIme, Pipe, Carlos, Lala, Pablo, Javi, Sofi, Sofi, Lauri, Dana, Puppi, Juanqui, Agus and Vero from Uruguay!!
Bob's warm hospitality and comfortable living arrangements made our stay at his luxury townhouse this past weekend extremely enjoyable. The wide, complementary spread of food and drink was impressive and very much appreciated. His townhouse, located in historic Harlem, is conveniently located next to both subway lines and Metro-North railroad lines which made traveling to and from West Point very easy. In short, Bob was a knowledgeable and gracious host who made our weekend excursion one to remember. Class act!
My family had a wonderful time in New York with big thanks to Bob! He is a wonderful and thoughtful host. During our four day stay at his residence he went out of the way daily, just to make sure we had everything we needed. He was always kind and courteous, making us feel right at home. The residence was conveniently located close to public transportation. There were times where we needed some last minute accommodations, and Bob came to our rescue.
The upstairs unit was FABULOUS!!! It had everything we needed and more. The layout was spacious enough for my crazy family of 12, The sky lighting gave a lot of warmth and comfort over the dreary NY winter weather. We had an upstairs patio to lay out for a breath of fresh air. Bob was kind enough to provide us food and a few toiletry essentials. The washer and dryer facilities were also a big plus. Thank you a million times over Bob for contributing to one of the best holiday family reunions ever!!!
Great gathering place! We had a group of 8 and were very comfortable. Having the wonderful kitchen was a huge advantage and we loved the rooftop deck! Bob's place was perfect for our needs. Thanks!
My friends and I stayed at Bob's places for a weekend trip in NYC. Bob wanted to make sure that we had an enjoyable time at his house and in the city. He was very accommodating as a host, and we had a pleasant time staying with him.
This is the final rate, including any fees from the host and Airbnb.