About this listing
¡Bienvenidos a Casa Sol y Luna!
Our home is ideal for the seasoned traveler who prefers the comforts of home combined with the uniqueness of a true Mexican experience.
Our house is in the middle of a beautiful lush garden filled with various fruit trees and an abundance of flowers. This spacious one-story house has one bedroom and one full bathroom, a newly restored and fully equipped kitchen, two dinning rooms, a spacious living room, and a sun room where you can enjoy the garden from the inside. Adjoining the bedroom is a small Zen Garden where you can start your day listing to the chirping birds with a nice coup of coffee. You'll relish the beauty of our zen modernist decor that is stylish and comfortable.
We are an environmentally friendly property. We have a small pool that we've converted into an ecological cistern. We compost all organic material and recycle. Due to all the trees in our home, we have a nice microclimate inside the house so it's always at a perfect temperature without the need of heating or air conditioner. We have dimmers in every lamp in the house so you use only the light you need and are able to adjust the lighting for reading or a romantic evening.
We are located in the heart of Cuernavaca very close to the down town area and nearby most historical and cultural sites yet removed from the chaos of the center of town. Our house is conveniently located in a lush beautiful garden where you can enjoy some peace but in a matter of minutes arrive to the different touristic attractions in Morelos. There are several delightful restaurants with beautiful gardens with outside-seating a block from the house. The botanical garden is three blocks from the house as well as an ecological park. Our location is excellent for adults seeking to improve or perfect their Spanish language skills since there are two excellent language schools walking distance from our house (Encuentros & Experiencia).
This extraordinary house offers great interior and exterior places for working, playing, entertaining, and meditating. You will have an unforgettable experience at Casa Sol y Luna!
House Rules for Casa Sol y Luna Cuernavaca
Since every house is different we recommend you read the House Rules so you become acquainted with how everything works here and you have a more comfortable and pleasant stay at Casa Sol y Luna Cuernavaca.
Security Deposit: A $100 USD security deposit is required to be paid through PayPal. This deposit will be returned to you on your departure date unless the house or furniture suffered any damages. Damages incurred by you or anyone in your party during your stay will be deducted from the deposit.
Administrator: Our house administrator & housekeeper has worked with our family for almost 40 years. She is very honest, professional, reliable, helpful, and friendly. However, she doesn’t speak English. When you need to communicate with her please practice your Spanish and if you don’t speak Spanish, speak to her very slowly in English. She is very bright and will do her best to understand what you’re saying.
1. Check-in: Our administrator will be waiting for you at the house to welcome you, show you around the house, and let you know how everything works in our place. She will also give you the house keys and answer your questions. At this time you will fill out a Registration Form, and if you still have an outstanding balance, pay it at this time.
2. Check-out: Please coordinate your check-out with our administrator by providing her your departure information. During check-out she will inspect the house to check that everything is in good condition. If everything is fine, she’ll let me know and I’ll refund your $100 USD security deposit through PayPal. At this time you will then return the house keys to our administrator.
3. Housecleaning: Our housekeeper will clean the house once a week. If you have a preference on the day you would like her to clean the house, please let her know, otherwise, she will clean midweek but will confirm with you beforehand. She arrives around 10:00 am and leaves around 3:00p.m. She has her own keys and will go about her business unless you advise her otherwise. We take care of her salary however if you would like to leave her a tip, please feel free to do so at the end of your stay.
4. Laundry Service: Our housekeeper will wash sheets and towels once a week. We ask guests not to do this task as she's in charge of it. If you would like your clothes washed or ironed, please speak directly with Juana and she will advise you of the price. Please pay her directly.
5. Personal Laundry: You are free to use the washer in the house but please do not overload it. At the present time the dryer is not working but you can dry your cloths in a drying rack outdoors.
6. Kitchen: You are free to use the kitchen and all the appliances. The kitchen is fully equipped with a traditional oven, a microwave oven, blender, toaster, coffee maker, juice maker, and plenty of pots and pans.
7. Food: The food in the fridge and cupboards in the kitchen is for your consumption. It includes sugar, coffee, tea, milk, salt, some olive oil, etc. to get you started in case you would like to cook or have a soothing warm beverage in the morning.
8. Utilities: All utilities are included in the rental. Please be mindful that there is a water scarcity in Mexico and in most of the world. Please try to consume only what you need.
9. Lights: Please make sure to turn the lights off when you are not in the room. There are dimmers on all the lamps so you can increase or decrease the light in any room. The bulbs burn out quickly when left on all the time. Please help us conserve energy and save the planet.
10. Water: Tap water should not be used for drinking or brushing your teeth as you are guaranteed to get sick. For drinking and cooking, please use the water from the large jug of bottled water in the kitchen.
11. Water heaters: There are two water heaters in the house close to each bathroom, We always check that there is enough propane in the cylinders and that the heaters are on. However, the pilot light sometimes goes out. If you find there is no hot water, please let our housekeeper know and she will correct it.
12. Bathroom and kitchen supplies. Extra supplies of toilet paper, hand soap, paper towels, napkins, dish soap, counter cleaners are below the sink in the kitchen. We try to have enough supplies to last your stay, however, if you run out, you can purchase more in a convenience store two blocks from the house called OXXO or at La Comercial Mexicana (a supermarket). Please make sure to bring your own toiletries since we don’t provide shampoo, conditioner, body wash, body cream, toothbrush or toothpaste
13. Toilet: The toilets in Mexico are considered antique since the drainage system is hundreds of years old. Please DO NOT throw any toilet paper or feminine items inside the toilets as it clogs the drainage. We have wastebaskets next to the toilets where ALL toilet paper and feminine napkins should be disposed. If you clog the toilet and we need to bring someone to unclog it, you will be responsible for the charge.
14. Telephone: You may use the house phone to make and receive domestic and international calls. BUT be forewarned that international calls are much more expensive in Mexico (two to four times the US rate) and so we suggest that you do not make any international calls as you will be billed for them later.
15. Internet: We have a wireless internet connection in the house. You will find the password in the Emerge Numbers handout in the house. If you do not wish to bring a laptop, there are several internet cafes everywhere and the charge is about 10 pesos per hour.
16. Appliances: The voltage in Mexico is the same as the US, Canada, and some countries in Latin America but different than Europe, Asia, Africa or Australia. Feel free to bring any appliances you need but we advise you check (website hidden) to see if you need a voltage converter. We have a blow dryer and an iron for your use.
17. T.V.: You are welcomed to use the T.V. We have a cable service with CNN in English and Spanish, HBO, etc. We also have a modest selection of films in the house so you are welcomed to bring your own.
18. Plants: Our housekeeper is in charge of watering the indoor plants. She takes care of the plants twice a week and will let you know when she will perform this duty. It usually takes 15 minutes to get this done.
19. Garden: Our gardener comes on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays 9am-4pm to water the garden, sweep the walkways, and do the necessary maintenance on the grounds. He keeps about his business and will not interfere with any of your outdoor activities.
20. Parking: There is plenty of space to park your vehicle inside the house in the space adjacent to the garden.
21. House keys: You will be provided two sets of keys to the house. Please make sure to securely lock all doors when you leave the house. The front door is to be locked at all time. At night we recommend you lock the house and kitchen door. When you check out, please return your keys to our administrator.
22. Smoking: A reminder that this is a NON-SMOKING house. You can smoke in the garden but not inside the house. Smoking in the house will entail a $100 USD penalty.
23. Important telephone numbers:
Casa Sol y Luna Cuernavaca
(phone number hidden) (calling from abroad)
(phone number hidden) (calling from Cuernavaca)
Other important telephone numbers are located in the Emergency Numbers handout in the kitchen.
24. Information about Cuernavaca and surrounding areas: You are welcome to use our travel guides for reference. They are located inside a basket in the kitchen. They have information on Cuernavaca, the pyramids in Morelos, Tepoztlan, Taxco, and Mexico City. You can also ask Juana for any guidance. She has lived in Cuernavaca for over 40 years and knows the area very well and has more updated information than the travel guides.
25. Places off-limit: One of the closets in the main bedroom and some cupboards in the kitchen are locked. They are not to be used by guests so please respect our private belongings in them.
26. Our Responsibility: We will make every effort to make your stay as pleasant as possible within our reach and within the limits of our property. We do not take responsibility for any inconveniences caused outside the house as they are beyond our control and purview.
27. Your Responsibility: Please take care of our place and belongings as if they were yours. We only ask you to return the house the way you found it so other guests can enjoy it as well.
28. Damages: We understand accidents happen but you need to assume your responsibility for them. Please notify our administrator of any damages you incur. If Juana finds damage done to the house or furnishings during your stay, she will notify you immediately and it will be deducted from the security deposit.
29.Problems: Please call our administrator should you have any problems or questions. Her number is listed above and also on the board by the phone in the kitchen.
30. Guests: You are welcome to bring friends or acquaintances for lunch, dinner, coffee or drinks, however, they can NOT stay overnight. This is mainly for your safety as there have been unpleasant incidents where new acquaintances are invited to spend the night and they turn out to be thieves. Thieves pray on the innocence and good will of tourists and travelers. Please be cautious at all times.
31, Country Club: We are members of Club Coral and for many years our guests had access to the facilities. A new administration at the club has changed the rules and guests are no longer allowed to use the facilities without the members present. We apologize for this inconvenience but this a new policy and there is nothing we can do about it.
32. Liability Policy: Maria Demello, Jennifer Demello and their staff do not assume any responsibility for any injuries, illnesses, theft, or death sustained by the guests during their stay at Casa Sol y Luna Cuernavaca. When guests agree to stay at this house, they consent to release Maria Demello, Jennifer Demello and Juana Navarrete from all liability.
32. Comments and/or Suggestions: We appreciate your comments and/or suggestions. If you have favorable or unfavorable comments about your stay in the house, or a suggestion that will help us improve our service at Casa Sol y Luna Cuernavaca, please let us know in our Guest Book located in the kitchen by the phone.
We hope this information is useful.
Wishing you a wonderful stay at Casa Sol y Luna Cuernavaca.
Maria and Jennifer