This rustic property is an old windmill originally restored to be an holiday home. Ideal to spend romantic days and/or to escape from your busy daily rotine. Don't expect luxury, just a special place in the countryside 7 km's away from the beach ;)
The Romantic Windmill used to be a real windmill and it was converted to an home holiday back in the early 90's. All restoration respects its original architecture and provides the comfort that you need to have some pleasant days in the countryside.
This windmill has a great location, between the countryside and the coast, it stands 2 km's distance from the small village of São Francisco da Serra and it is just 7 km's away from the beach of Lagoa de Santo André, and not far from other beaches as Lagoa de Melides, Aberta Nova or Galé.
Isolated in the countryside, with a breathless view that covers the coast line, you'll be close to the main towns, as Santiago do Cacém, Santo André, Grândola and Sines.
It has 2 floors:
- 1st floor is the sleeping room with one old traditional bed (with 190x130cm);
- Ground floor is the living room with the kitchenette and the bathroom.
- An extra: you'll find enough space outside to appreciate the view, have your meals or just read a book quietly!
In the living room, you have a dinning table and a wood stove (very useful in the winter nights).
In the kitchenette, you have on your disposal fridge, microwave and cooking stove, as some cooking utensils as cutlery, pans, glasses, etc.
In the small bathroom, you'll be amazed with the large round bathtube!
We provide you:
- Bedding and towels;
- Oil heater upstairs;
- Wood for the wood stove during winter time.
In São Francisco da Serra, you can find small coffee shop and grocery. In Santiago do Cacém or Vila Nova de Santo André (the closest cities), you can find supermarkets, shops, etc.
The closest laundries are in Melides (a very nice small village nearby) or in Vila Nova de Santo André.
It is a great and quiet place, that you'll love to meet and stay in, wonderful not only in summer, but also in all other seasons, due to the beautiful landscape that only this region can provide.
Don't expect luxuries or the same facilities that you may find in an hotel. It is a rustic property in the countryside. A rustic property that is unique and full of character but it doesn't fit in luxury category, because here everything is simple and basic. It is ideal for people that love nature and like to discover original places to stay. For people that like romance and love the authenticity.
If you want to know more about it, don't hesitate to contact me, I would be glad to help you!
HOW TO GET HERE:
The ideal is to drive your car to the windmill, so you can reach it easily and you be able to explore the area. Arriving from north or south, you have to take IC33 road, turning in the sign that says São Francisco da Serra.
If you take the highway A2, please leave it in Grândola and follow Sines direction.
From the nice small village to the windmill are about 2 km's, when making the reservation, I'll give you the exact GPS coordinates and also instructions for key deliverance, don't worry!
Other Things to Note
If you're looking for a stay with nice beach days, the ideal is to stay there during summertime. Before and after Summer, all weather is unpredictable, so you can find really hot days in May and October, but you can also find rainy days during those months... Unfortunately, we can't manage weather forecast :(
House Rules or Some Advices!
Besides other advices that I'll send you after your reservation being made, here are some useful tips for your stay at the windmill:
- The key is an extensive one (extend it to open the door, unextend it to keep it on your pocket);
- If you have some difficulties openning the door: turn the key and pull the door to yourself, it will be easier for sure!
- Please be careful with the key! Don't close the door with it inside the windmill, because you won't be able to open the door from outside without key. For example, when you're using inside and outside, leave the small window in the door open or use the key as a necklace ;)
- Water is provided by a water pump. It works with electricity, so if you stop having water, make sure that you don't have too much electric devices working at the same time and rewire the circuit breaker in the electrical panel (it stands next to the door);
- because of the subject above, I advice you to NOT use many electric devices at the same time;
- Some cooking utensils are inside the drawers of the table (yes, the table has drawers!)
- As its name - windmill - it means that it stands in a windy area. Please don't strange any wind, specially during winter nights!
The wood stove (how it works)
Obviously, It burns wood ;)
1. First see if the interior is clean, without ash. If necessary, open the little iron door down and use the shovel to put out the ash.
2. Then, taking out the cover, put some firelighters on the grate inside and some wood pieces over it. Then set fire with a match.
3. In the wall behind, there’s a stop valve to regulate the smoke issue. When lighting it must be open (vertical position). Then can be regulated. Don't close it totally or fire will die and smoke can return inside.
4. The little windows must always remain closed.
Attention: If you're not able to light the stove (sometimes it’s not that easy to light it), you can always use the portable electric heater that you can find on the first floor
Cristina was an excellent host, providing us with all we could have needed for our stay in the windmill. she was always available for all our questions and very, very friendly. the place itself is unique and made a very special end to our roadtrip. more than recommended!
What a unique and charming place! Do not expect the standard of a five star hotel. this place is rustic but has all one needs and it sure gives you so much more. You literally sit on top of you own mountain with a 360°-view which is absolutely amazing. The windmill is well equipped, so you can prepare your own meals. the little stove heats up the place quite well, so even in the winter time it is very cosy.
Christina handles the communication absolutely great. There you have the five star experience. She is prompt, precise and 100% reliable. She answered all questions right away.
We can not recommend this place highly enough. This is an experience you will remember for ever - in a very, very positive way.
We have never been on a more special place then this windmill. The windmill is really cosy and the bed underneath the actual mill is so special! The location is magical, so quiet, private and isolated. The beach is a 10 minute drive. Cristina did everything to make our stay pleasant, although we didnt met her. We picked up the key at the village nearby, picking it up was already special. Cristina's dad made a very acurate map with al the information we needen. Although we never found the blankets of sheepwool he mentioned ;-)
The windmill is a place with a very nice view but we had a lot of rain during our stay so we couldn't really enjoy it. I'm sure that we'd had a different experience when the weather wasn't so terrible.
The windmill is an ideal spot for couples, it has everything you need for a few days. Furthermore, you can have some calm days there.
The beaches in the area around the windmill are all beautiful!
Cristina is a really nice host, she gave us some information about the sightseeing spots around, the best beaches, and a map for the basic orientation. Also the next mercados are shown, but if you come by car, we would suggest to go to a bigger supermarket before your arrival, the mercados of the area are smaller ones.
To summarize: We had some beautiful days in the windmill!
Magical is probably The best word for this awesome and quiet Place. Don't Miss The Great Sao Antonio lake 5km away!! We had a wonderful time in The Romantic windmill and would always Return!
La enstancia en el molino fue de lo más agradable. Está equipada con todo lo que se puede necesitar y muy bien preparada en los detalles. Cristina estuvo muy atenta por si necesitabamos algo y todo fueron facilidades. Antes de ir nos mandó información muy útil sobre los alrededores: restaurantes, playas, dónde comprar...
Las vistas que tiene son muy hermosas, tanto en las puestas de sol como en el amancer. Seguro que volveremos...
This host has 220 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
I'm Cristina and I live in Alfama: Lisbon's oldest and most typical neighbourhood. For me, doing Airbnb is like a "three in one": I share the pleasure of living in beautiful Alfama, I meet great people and I earn money to pay my bills.
I love to read, to write and to listen music. I miss my dog and I love my cat. I love Lisbon and the secrets that the city reveals to me, in every walk, in every talk, in every look.