About this listing
Colourful friendly flat on top floor at The Main square (Stora torget) facing the Cathedral, a courtyard and terrace. Surrounded by restaurants, shopping, theatre, university faculties, botanical gardens + all the city has to offer. Bikes included :)
It does not get more central than this. Stora torget - Main Square - is just outside the door. You are right on the walking street and at the other side of the next building is the river with its picturesque atmosphere (see photos).
Your room is facing the old square and the cathedral (you can see the top half of it- see photos), a courtyard with some lecture halls for the Peace and conflict department of Uppsala university plus a roof terrace at the second floor. Please see the photo with the view from the room :)
The flat is a colorful and friendly place with a roof terrace where you can barbecue hot dogs or just sit and read (mustard and ketchup is on us). There are only four apartments in the building so the huge terrace is always available.
Check in/out is very flexible :)
SHORT TERM STAYS (less than a week)
We provide a healthy self service breakfast which is complimentary/free. It includes:
* Home made organic müesli
* Organic / ecological milk
* Organic / ecological marmalade and Swedish butter
* Healthy bread
* Tea and coffee
* Organic/ eco apple juice
* No cooking access for short stays. There are always complimentary sandwiches, tea and coffee whenever you like on the house.
LONG TERM STAYS (more than a week)
* a healthy self service breakfast is free during your first week :) same as above
* You will also have full access to cook in the kitchen and you have your own place in the fridge and freezer for your breakfast and other food stuff.
Please note that we are vegetarians and do not allow cooking meat
(lamb and pork) in the kitchen. Chicken is OK though.
* All guests are always welcome to borrow one of our bikes :)
Short term guests:
* No cooking access for short term stays but there is bread and marmalade/jam for sandwiches, yoghurt and muesli as well as free coffee and tea for you all day and night.
If you would like to keep some things in the fridge, like soft drinks or extra stuff for breakfast that is fine.
- We'll be glad to invite you to share a (probably vegetarian) meal or two with us if we are at home :)
* You are also welcome to barbecue on the roof terrace
* There is a laundry room in the basement free of charge.
(just tell us in advance and we'll book it for you)
Long term stays :
Full access to kitchen and cooking :)
Feel free to use our spices!
Interaction with Guests
We are more than happy to show you around town or go on a bike tour along the river :)
If you want tips about what to do just tell us. We know the city and its surroundings quite well.
* If you like complete solitude, just inform us and that is fine. We will just welcome you and should you have any questions we'll be happy to answer them :)
You are smack in the middle of everything. Shopping and restaurants of all sorts, university buildings, student nations, pubs, cinema, libraries, botanical gardens, gyms, swimming pools and sauna, parks, the concert and congress house, the castle, the cathedral and its picturesque surroundings by the river.
Everything is basically a stone's throw away.
See our photos. They are all within a ten minute walk away in different directions.
Follow the river up streams for cafés, restaurants or old houses. Take the second or third bridge left to go into the old university area toward the old cemetery, maybe stop at the Italian restaurant. Or walk up to the castle and view the city and the botanical gardens from above.
Walk downstream and visit the city park, a green oasis. Have dinner at one of the boats or continue to the miniature golf court.
Or just wander around the old buildings, the old square or the pedestrian shopping street. See it all in the photos.
Keep an eye on the cathedral and the river. That way you know you are always near the apartment.
All of this is within 1-10 minute walk or an hour or two to see it all.
Our favourite restaurants are:
Dwell - Sri Lankan food
Messob - Traditional Ethiopian food
Il Forno Italiano - Italian food
Lingon - Traditional Swedish food with an up scale touch
Costas - Greek food (although many people go to Tzatziki because of the picturesque outside setting in summer)
- You can basically see all that Uppsala has to offer by foot from our place.
- Bike will definitively take you everywhere in Uppsala and is the main transportation for many in town. Free to borrow for our guests :)
It also takes you outside of town in 15 minutes in case you want to visit the Viking graves or just get out in the countryside
- Many buses stops at Stora torget (the main square and the name of the bus stop) just outside the door and we are a 6 minute walk away from the train station.
Should you like to go to Stockholm just visit the SJ webpage for the itinerary or ask us for help :) Train to Stockholm takes 38 minutes
- If you are coming by car we can offer a garage a 15 minute walk from the apartment for a fee of 100 SEK / day. (that is what about 4 hours will cost you parking in the streets) Please let us know in advance. Sundays parking is free in all streets.
- Pick up from the airport can be arranged for 300 SEK (just let us know when you book) that is a little less than two train tickets ;)
- The Arlanda airport train takes 18 minutes but you have to walk to the train terminal between terminal 4 and 5 to take it. Check out UL or Arlanda webpage
- Bus takes 40 minute and is the cheapest but only if you have bought your tickets in advance SJ homepage or UL homepage. Otherwise it costs as much as the train
Other Things to Note
* We provide good quality bed linens, towels, a start up provision of shampoo & shower gel, and there is a hair dryer to borrow if you need one :)
* The bed is 120 cm wide and 210 cm long, on the smaller side if you are two.
* High speed Wi - Fi 30-64 GB/sec
* We have no microwave but a fast electric glass oven/stove
* We do not have a dishwasher
* We have one more bedroom that we sometimes have one guest in for shorter stays. If that is a concern to you please let us know when you make your booking and we will block the dates for the other room during your stay with us :)
* In Sweden house keys are governed by a system so they cannot be copied which means that if you loose your key they whole cylinder has to be changed and new keys made. This is the same everywhere in Sweden so even if you find your own place eventually keep this in mind since changing locks costs between two - three K SEK.
* The tap water is drinkable
* The tap water is drinkable
A common thing in Sweden is to take off your shoes at the door so that will be greatly appreciated.
It also keeps the house clean ;)
* Please respect that this is our home and we live here so drunk and disorderly behavior is not really OK.
Mutual respect and kindness will do just fine.
* No parties or pre-parties please.
* Smoking is OK only outside at the terrace.
For long term guests:
We like our home very clean :)
* no cooking of pork or lamb
* clean the stove after each time you cook
* leave the kitchen very clean after cooking:
- Wipe off the table, sink and the cooking surfaces every time the're used.
- Please pick up anything that falls on the floor (crumbs etc.) and keep even the place under the sink clean.
* We recycle so it is important to open packages, milk boxes etc. and actually wash them like the dishes before recycling.
The other option is to just throw them into the trash bin. Your choice :)
* clean the bathtub from hair etc after using it
* please don't store food in the room. If there is not enough place in the kitchen just tell us and we'll try to make more room.
Please vacuum it once a week :) or every two weeks
Our and your room:
We will never go into your room without your permission. If something needs to be fixed we will ask you first.
The same way we expect you to respect our room to be private when we are not at home. In case you need anything please just ask first.
Sorry if some of these things seem crazy but different homes and people have different customs so what seems normal for some is different for others ;) No offence intended. The great thing with Airbnb is that we meet and enjoy our time together in a relaxed atmosphere. Our home is your home :)
Thank you and welcome.