This room is one of three separate rooms that are located inside the apartment "A warm and cozy home away from home" The apartment is rented out as an entire apartment, as well as individual rooms. Hence, guest must check with me before making reservation, so I can verify whether or not the place is available entirely or just as private rooms..
This room is located on the 1st floor of my home. It is in a beautiful duplex apartment in Brooklyn that is 15 minutes away from downtown Manhattan by trains. My neighborhood borders both a Jewish and a West Indian community and I live on a small block that located across the street from a playground and one block away from the Interfaith Hospital. There are post offices, pharmacies, grocery stores, hair and nail salons, supermarkets and other places that provides a variety of amenities nearby. The C train is just one block away & the A trains are two blocks away, the LIRR is also a block away and other means of public transportation are very convenient just in case one does not drive. There is a parking garage that is located three blocks away from my home, also a BP Gas station and a Seven Eleven is located around the corner just in-case one does drive. Furthermore, The Children's museum, Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn Bridge, Prospect Park and the Botanical Garden are all amazing sites to see while staying at my home.
SORRY THIS ROOM ONLY ACCOMMODATES ONE PERSON, NO EXTRA GUESTS ALLOWED!!! THANK YOU!!
I DO NOT PROVIDE DISH WASHING LIQUID, DETERGENT, TOILET PAPER AND PAPER TOWELS FOR GUESTS WHO ARE STAYING LONGER THAT THREE(3) WEEKS. THESE AMENITIES ARE ONLY PROVIDED FOR INDIVIDUALS WHO HAVE SHORTER STAYS, SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCES.!!
NOTICE: I WILL NOT ALLOW GUESTS TO EXTEND THEIR STAY IN CASE THEY NEED TO IF I HAVE TO REMIND THEM TO KEEP THE HOUSE RULES THAT ARE LISTED BELOW ! SORRY IF THERE ARE ANY INCONVENIENCES.
No Pets !!!
No shoes please, this is a shared space!!!
I DO NOT PROVIDE DISH WASHING LIQUID, DETERGENT, TOILETRIES FOR GUESTS WHO ARE STAYING LONGER THAT THREE(3) WEEKS.
-THESE AMENITIES ARE ONLY PROVIDED FOR INDIVIDUALS WHO HAVE SHORTER STAYS, SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCES.!! ( THERE WILL BE A DISCRETIONARY SUPPLY OF THESE AMENITIES ON OCCASION).
PLEASE DO NOT WASH THE TOWELS AND LINENS THAT I PROVIDE TO YOU. I WILL WASH THOSE MYSELF. PLEASE, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR YOU TO REMEMBER!
-THE CLEANING FEE THAT IS CHARGED (10$) GOES TO CLEANING THE SPACE UPON YOUR DEPARTURE AND THE CLEAN LINENS AND TOWELS THAT ARE PROVIDED TO YOU ONCE A WEEK.
- THE CLEANING FEE (10$) DOES NOT INCLUDE THE MAINTENANCE OF THE APARTMENT DURING YOUR STAY! YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR CLEANING UP AFTER YOURSELVES BECAUSE IT IS A SHARED SPACE AND AS A COURTESY TO YOUR ROOMMATES.
-PLEASE WIPE THE STOVE DOWN AFTER COOKING !
- WE DO RECYCLE! PLEASE RINSE CANS, BOTTLES AND PLASTIC CONTAINERS OUT BEFORE THEY ARE PLACED INSIDE THE RECYCLE BLUE BAG - JUST ASK ME!
-EVERYONE SHOULD TAKE TURNS IN MAINTAINING THE BATHROOM AND TOILETS, OR TO MAKE IT EASIER, PLEASE LEAVE THE BATHROOM NEAT AFTER YOU SHOWER/ TOILET CLEAN AFTER YOU USE IT -THERE ARE CLEANING SUPPLIES IN THE CABINET BELOW THE SINK (PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ANY HAIR IN THE BATHTUB AND SINK OUT OF CONSIDERATION FOR YOUR ROOMMATES)
- I will occasionally change bath rug and spiffy up the apartment as a courtesy to guest.
-Please remember to turn off the stove before leaving the apartment and before going to bed.
-Kindly switch off all the lights in the living room, kitchen and hallways at nights and upon departure during the day.
Thank You So Much! Enjoy Your Stay!
It was my first visit to NY and I have to say I had an amazing time at Portias place.
The room is small however I only used it to sleep in and not hang out as the entire house was open to use. The downstairs and kitchen area are big enough for me to eat and relax after a night out in the city. So it was good for me.
Portia was very nice to me and the other guests and made sure we had everything we needed.
The place is located in a nice city and I always felt safe. The subway station is a block away and the people are very helpful. There are grocery stores and other food spots near by as well.
Again, the room is small however if you are only using it to sleep in there shouldn't be a problem!
Great location near the subway C line that gets you to Manhattan easily. The room is small but there is a lot of shared space
I want to say that I had a very good experience staying in Portia's place for the summer. It had exactly everything I needed. The room was clean and neat when I moved in there. The area was nice to around and safe. Their are restaurants and a grocery just around he corner. The subway is literally down the street. Portia was a very nice host to me. If I needed anything, rather it be clean towels, linens, directions to get around the neighborhood, she was always a big help. Portia stops pops in once in a while to clean and maintain the rooms for incoming guests. However, be aware that she doesn't run a maid service. If you use the living room or the kitchen it is your responsibility to clean up after yourself. Which I did not have a problem with. It was my place I stayed while living here in New York and I enjoyed it. I recommend this place to anyone looking stay in NYC.
The room was exactly as described and photographed. The air conditioning worked fine. The living area and kitchen downstairs was really nice. Great price! Portia was a wonderful host and I highly recommend her.
Good place to stay on a budget. I didn't spend much time at all in the neighborhood, but it was safe enough and it's very close to the subway, as well as a grocery store. The room is (as disclosed) very, very small. Portia wasn't around but kept in touch and made sure everything went smoothly. The other guests (I think there were two other larger rooms) were conscientious about sharing the kitchen and everyone mostly kept to themselves.
I have stayed at Portia's for 4 weeks and although Portia is very nice, helpful and friendly and the place is clean, I would still not recommend staying there, because:
- the room is overpriced considering its very small size and location. Once you have put your suitcase in the room, the whole space is taken up. It is located in a neighborhood in Brooklyn where you won't find any restaurants and bars, and it becomes a bit unsafe past a certain hour at night.
- it is very noisy, night and day, because of the train which passes right in front of the window and the very thin walls and ceilings (you can hear every whisper, music, and every step coming from above and from next door).
- the photos make the place look very bright and homely, but it is very dark and empty in reality, which makes it quite depressing. The lights need to be on all the time, even when the sun is shinning outside.
- there is no washing machine and the kitchen is poorly equipped
- towels and bedsheets are provided (and Portia will kindly provide new ones whenever you need), but toilet paper, and dish soap are normally not provided if you stay longer than a few days.
- if you are a student, there is no desk to work from.
- Portia was very inflexible and refused twice to change the reservation when I asked several weeks in advance.
- I understood from the description of the listing that the room was located in Portia's home and that I would be living with her and her mother. In reality, Portia doesn't live in the apartment, which means you will be by yourself or with other airbnb guests who stay in other rooms. It can be a good thing if you want to have a lot of freedom, but I was expecting a home stay and was a bit disappointed.
I recommend staying with Portia. Her house is 5 minutes from the C line which takes you to Manhattan in 20 minutes. The apartment is very clean and the neighbor hood felt safe. The room is very small but I spent most of my time in the living room anyway. Portia was very nice and helpful to me and we had some interesting conversations as well.
This host has 68 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
I love living a life that is full of adventure and new experiences. Music, art, foods are all wonderful adventures that can be very exciting to indulge in. Hence, living in Brooklyn enhances the excitement while adding a diversity that never gets dull. In my free-time I love to have a nice lunch or dinner at a trendy restaurant in Manhattan. When I crave a lovely glass of wine and some escargot the place I like to go is Balthazar. I also love sushi and foods that are spicy so there are many other wonderful restaurants to go to for that too. Music, music I love all types of music, especially Latin and world music. I also enjoy going dancing with friends or visiting an art gallery. The Broadway plays are fun to see too and afterwards, going home to Brooklyn is a nice escape from the big city.
Having me as a host would be quite an experience because I understand what hospitality means; I have worked within that industry for many years and I take great pleasure in welcoming guests into my home. Besides visiting a big city and enjoying what it has to offer one also must be able to go home to somewhere that is quite relaxing and soothing to the soul.
I also work as a licensed real estate sales agent; if you are interested in residing in Brooklyn for the long haul I can certainly help you with finding an apartment or home-