About this listing
Our 130-yr old semi-detached home located in historic, downtown Kingston sleeps 4. Original hardwood flooring, fully stocked kitchen, deck & garden patio, fresh linens, WiFi and parking. Steps to waterfront, City Park, Farmers Market and restaurants.
This large brick semi-detached house is a prominent and important building in the heritage district of downtown Kingston. The space consists of a large dining room, living room (with full-sized pull-out sofa bed), fully-stocked kitchen, one bathroom and one bedroom (with Queen-sized bed) which opens onto the backyard deck overlooking the patio and garden.
The building was erected no later than 1878, as it appears with occupants in the 1879 street directory of Kingston. It's first known occupants were a jeweller named John Smith and Mrs. Francis Lawson. Reverend George Ferguson bought the property in 1913, and is still listed as a resident in the 1923 directory.
Some historically notable features of the building's exterior include the tall stone foundation, 2-storey bay windows and fluted columns flanking each tier featuring Corinthian capitals. Gable ends above the towers' flat roofs feature scrolling brackets which support heavy wood hoods over the windows. A sunburst design is nestled under the apex of each garble's bargeboards. The bargeboards have a series of rectangular and square recessed wood panels. Sunbursts are also found on the tympanums of each of the dormer on the roof of each inner bay.
You will have access to the entire space - backyard, deck, bathroom, living room and bedroom. Nothing will be shared. You will also have access to our laundry machine and all kitchen amenities and are welcome to anything in the fridge. There will be cereal, milk, coffee and tea (and usually other things like yogurt and juice) in the kitchen.
Interaction with Guests
We will greet you and introduce you to the apartment, the neighbourhood and Kingston. After that the apartment is all yours, though we do live upstairs if you need anything!
The location is the best part of this home! It offers museums, historic military landmarks, nature, and a vibrant day and night life filled with bars and restaurants. It is also located steps away from Queen's University, Hotel Dieu and Kingston General Hospital and most government institutions. No need for a car - everything is within walking distance! But of course if you do have a car there is a parking space provided.
Walk through City Park and along the waterfront to City Hall and Market Square, relax in the garden patio or head downtown and take advantage of patio season in Kingston - great food, sensational bands and an amazing atmosphere!
- City Park: only 1 block away and full of green space, old trees, a playground, a kid's waterpark, a baseball diamond, picnic benches, etc., it's the perfect place to walk the dog, throw a frisbee, read a book or visit one of the many weekend events like "Art in the Park".
- Waterfront: just 3 blocks away you can sit on a bench and watch the sailboats on Lake Ontario, bike, cycle or walk the Waterfront Trail, or even take a swim, rent a kayak or try sailing for yourself.
- Downtown core: with the most restaurants per capita you will be sure to find the perfect spot for lunch, brunch or a romantic dinner.
- Market Square: hosts regular farmers markets. We have a share in a local community garden which provides fresh vegetables at this market several times per week. Mention that you're our guest and you can access our share of the weekly crop free of charge.
- Queen's University: just a 5 minute walk away through City Park is Queen's University, with it's lovely campus and beautiful old limestone buildings.
- Main Tourist Attractions: walking trails, reenactments, tours of Sir John A MacDonald's house and haunted walks - Kingston has more than enough tourist attractions to keep you busy and they are all located within minutes (walking) from the apartment.
If you do want to venture beyond this beautiful neighbourhood there is a bus stop right outside the front door! You can catch this to the main bus terminal (or walk - 5 min), which takes you pretty much anywhere you want to go in Kingston or beyond (eg: take ViaRail to Montreal for the weekend).
Other Things to Note
We provide you with guide books, pamphlets, etc. to get to know the area and what there is to do. Please let us know if you will need the 2nd bed (which is a pull out couch) and we will have it setup.
Our stay in Kingston at Alex's place was amazing! The apartment was spacious and clean, and he made sure that we had all the essentials during our stay. The deck was awesome as well! The location is unbeatable; close to downtown and the waterfront. Communication with Alex was super quick and checking in was easy. I wish we could could have stayed longer!
We had a great stay! Alex was very helpful and the everything went really smoothly. His guidebook suggestions were excellent. I'd highly recommend thos spot.
I stayed here for a night while driving from Toronto to Montreal with my mom and sister. Kingston is super cute (great old homes and lovely waterfront town), and this house was no exception. Alex made check-in unbelievably easy, and the apartment was equipped with everything we'd need (including great soft towels!). We're sad we didn't get to stay longer!
Alex's place was fantastic! It was in an ideal location in Kingston for easy access to the downtown core. We really enjoyed ourselves. Alex was extremely helpful and very quick to respond to any communication. Thanks, Alex!
Alex made us feel more than welcome..everything was better than described. We were really really pleased. Steve/karen
Alexander was a great host! He was there to greet us when we arrived and gave us lots of info on restaurants we might like. It was a great location, walking distance to everything downtown. There was a great backyard and deck for morning coffee and a glass of wine at night! Would definitely stay here again! Thanks Alex :)
This was a beautiful space in a lovely neighborhood. As we were only there for one night, we did not get to explore Kingston much, but the location is perfect for advenutring.
This host has 65 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews