YOUR Detroit Loves You Guest Home VISIT Transforms & Uplifts Detroit: 10% of revenue invested in the neighborhood!
We welcome you!
For up to 10 guests, 2 blocks from Woodward Ave, Detroit's main street
MORTON ROOM - sleeps 2-6+
Beds: Big modular U-shaped couch sleeps 2, 2 couches sleep 2, & floor space for ~3
Privacy: Heavy curtain to 1st floor hall
Accessibility: Porch steps
This large 1st floor living room features a record player, decorative fireplace, logs to write or draw on using provided wood burning pen, the random activity game, Morton's List
* Make sure everyone in your group reads the whole listing, including "Interaction with Guests" below. I'm happy to address any questions prior to booking.
* CHECK-IN: By appointment. I will drive to the guest home to greet you personally whenever possible, arriving 30 minutes before your arrival time and expecting you within 1 hour. This is usually possible weekdays until ~5pm/17:00 and some weekend mornings/afternoons.
* KEYS: 1 key issued per group, additional on request. Return the same number by check out, else $95 security deposit pays for lock changing.
* PARKING: Ample free & safe parking in front. It's also possible to park behind the house.
* CAR RENTAL / RIDES: Please inquire. $20 1-time fee +$5/hr, Silver 2003 Ford Focus ZX3 hatchback, automatic. Usually available most weekdays until about 5pm/17:00. Rides each way: $40 DTW airport ; $10 Downtown / Amtrak / Greyhound / MegaBus station.
* CHECK-OUT: Please let me know your preferred checkout time before or upon arrival. I just require 2 hours before new guest check-in.
* Privacy: only myself, the weekly housekeeper, and guests may access guest rooms
* Inquire about free left/locked luggage service
A stay at the Detroit Loves You Guest Home means you *become* part of the positive transformation that Detroit is experiencing. 10% of proceeds are donated directly to improve the Virginia Park Neighborhood (Hazelwood Block Club, nonprofit Community Development Corporation, exterior property improvements, local startups, etc.). Additional funds employ Detroit housekeeper, Linda, who partnered with the Guest Home in 2012. Remaining proceeds are invested in improving the Guest Home, and benefiting future guests. Every bright spot makes a huge difference in Detroit's impoverished neighborhoods. THAT'S why Detroit loves you!
Then there's what brings YOU to Detroit - let me know how can I help! I'm excited to welcome you and learn about what you care to share. Feel free to contact me any time with questions about the rooms, house, neighborhood, or city.
-Nathan, Your Detroit Ambassador
* Made in 1910, the Detroit Loves You Guest Home is much like her city: built to last. She's been undergoing a makeover since 2010, mirroring Detroit's gradual progress.
* (~Oct-Apr) Radiant heat on the 1st & 2nd levels warms the floors and keeps the house at a constant temperature day and night. A space heater warms the 3rd floor Air Room.
* Helpful notes about the home's quirks are posted in all rooms. Please read these as you encounter them.
* Rest assured the Guest Home is perfectly safe (monitored alarm, security doors & cameras, window guards)
OTHER GUEST ROOMS...
(Inquire about reserving individually by the night or week)
AIR ROOM - sleeps 2-7+
This spacious 3rd floor smartly finished modern attic bedroom features A/C, hammock, and pillow closet
Beds: 2 double futons sleep 4, hammock for 1 & floor space for ~4
Privacy: Private door and soundproof stairs from 2nd floor hall
Accessibility: Porch steps, inside stairs & private stairs / must bend down to enter room
WATER ROOM - sleeps 2-4+
This big comfortable 2nd floor bedroom features a walk-in closet, futon bed/couch, writing bench & chair, bookshelf
Beds: Queen memory foam bed sleeps 2, full futon sleeps 2
Privacy: Electronically lockable door to 2nd floor hall
Accessibility: Porch steps & inside stairs
* Guests have access to all guest rooms and public areas of the house: kitchen, dining room, basement laundry, porch, backyard garden, etc. - all except my basement office and Gregg's under construction 2nd floor bedroom
* Clean bedding & towels provided
* Super fast wireless Internet - 10/1Mbps down/up. Network & password posted in guest rooms
* Bathroom - 2nd floor, cleaned professionally weekly, well maintained, shared
* Food - Help yourself to all unmarked foods in kitchen! (typically: staples, baking ingredients, spices, canned food, coffee/tea, etc. - enough to greatly assist self-catering)
* Appliances - Gas stove/oven, microwave, toaster oven, blender, water boiler, percolator, French press, coffee grinder, hookah (please replace shisha & coals used)
* Laundry - Washer & dryer in basement
*Ask for access to the outdoor pool & Jacuzzi (late May to early September) and indoor gym & dry sauna (year-round) in a loft building east of Downtown [$50 deposit for key fob (replacement cost if lost) / car required to enter]
Interaction with Guests
I work from my office in the basement most weekdays ~9am to ~5pm, and can be available for guests as needed. The Guest Home caretaker, Gregg Brazel, sleeps in his 2nd floor bedroom about half the time and is usually busy with work when at the house, but can also be available to assist guests. Gregg is moving to Detroit from Chicago to design and build shipping ecological container structures and has been constructing Guest Home improvements since April 2013.
Virginia Park is an old, authentic Detroit neighborhood; a quiet bedroom community named after the historic street 6 blocks south. If you are not used to urban living, its typically Detroit issues with abandonment and upkeep may appear off-putting. But the neighbors are very friendly, well used to the Guest Home, and happy to meet visitors. I encourage you to say hello to anyone on the street. That's the Detroit way!
* Peaches & Greens, 8838 3rd St - Fresh produce grocery 2 houses away owned by the amazing CDC (Community Development Corporation), featuring vegetables grown in the community garden across the street!
* Cafe Sonshine [sic], 8902 2nd Ave (1 block), CDC's hidden gem salt-free soul food restaurant 1 block away. The best place for authentic Detroit cuisine!
* King Cole Foods, 40 Clairmount St (3 blocks), Full grocery store, no alcohol
* Sam's Market, 760 Hazelwood St (across the street), Alcohol/snacks. Owned & operated by very friendly couple Rob & Gene, who moved to Detroit from Iraq in the '80s.
The Guest Home is right in the heart of Detroit, just 4mi/6.5km to downtown along our main central road, Woodward Ave (first paved road in the US!), and under 2mi/3km to Wayne State University.
* Local Bus: Catch downtown/suburb-bound buses (#53) 24/7 on Woodward Ave less than 2 blocks away, connect to major routes at the Rosa Parks and State Fair Transit Centers. Fare: $1.50 adult ($0.25 transfer/senior/disabled), Free for up to 3 children under 44" with adult. Pass: $14 5-day, $14.40 1wk, $27.50 2wks, $47 1mo ($17 senior/disabled, $49.50 regional 1mo)
* Bus Stations: Mega Bus station @Rosa Parks Transit Center, 1310 Cass Ave (Downtown) also stops at Wayne State University on the Cass Ave side of the WSU Barnes & Noble @82 Warren Ave W (Midtown). Greyhound station @1001 Howard St (Downtown)
* Taxi: $2.50 +$1.60/mi. ~$10/10mins to Downtown Detroit, ~$35-45/20mins to DTW airport
* Car: 1 block to M-10/Lodge Frwy, connects to I-75, I-94, I-275, M-14, M-59 & I-96/696 in minutes
* Train - Amtrak station, 11 W Baltimore Ave (New Center, 9 blocks). 1-way fare/time: $6/20m Dearborn/The Henry Ford, $10/25m Royal Oak, $11/30m Birmingham, $12/1h Pontiac, $12-17/1h Ann Arbor, Toledo $15/1h, $18/1.5h Jackson, $24/2.5h Battle Creek, $27/3h Kalamazoo, $34/4h East Lansing, $51/7h Saginaw, $53/5h Flint, $58-72/2.5h Cleveland, $57-78/5.5h Chicago, $61/4h Grand Rapids, $61/6.5h Port Huron
* Airplane - DTW airport in Romulus 32km/20mi west of Detroit
Other Things to Note
History to hipsters, Motown to mashups, "ruin porn" to DIY culture, urban gardens and some of the friendliest people you'll meet outside of Polynesia – Detroit holds so much for you to discover! Just let me know what you're interested in and I'll give you recommendations for eating out, bars, clubs, art, nature, biking, Urban Exploration (UrbEx), insider events & more. Detroit is a city of contrasts. Its reality is sometimes stark, often artistic, and always expressed from the Heart. Come experience Detroit from the inside. Whether here for a day or the season, you'll soon feel the Detroit Love that drives us.
A Word About Safety...
People routinely confuse poverty with danger. Detroit's violent reputation is long outdated. It's as (un)safe for visitors as any other big US city, and like most it looks worse than it is. Downtown is incredibly clean & secure - more so than many of our flashy suburbs! I simply advise guests to exhibit street smarts (look & walk confidently, be aware of your environment, avoid unpopulated areas, use the buddy system, etc.) and remove or hide GPSs, chargers and other valuables in cars. Touch wood, neither myself nor any of hundreds of guests or their vehicles as ever had any issue with crime in my neighborhood.
Please familiarize yourself with Airbnb's Moderate Cancellation Policy:
* Cancelled 5 full days prior (to 3pm/15:00 the day of check in) = full refund
* 1-4 days prior = 1st night isn't refunded / remaining nights 50% refunded
* Day of check-in or during reservation = nights not spent 24hrs after cancellation are 50% refunded
If you need to cancel your reservation such that this policy doesn't allow for a full refund, I will attempt to attract last minute bookings and will refund you an additional amount equal to funds received beyond the amount that would have been received. Cancellation for any reason is subject to the above policies, including not having read the entire listing, or inability to see past Detroit's off-putting surface.
NOTE: The Morton Room was called Fire Room until May 2014
Make yourself at home. Let me know how I can help.
By appointment. Whenever possible I will drive to the guest home to personally greet you. I'll arrive 30 minutes before your arrival time, and expect you within an hour. This is typically possible weekdays early morning until 3-7pm/15:00-19:00. If you cannot arrive while I'm available, we will make alternate arrangements.
Super fast wireless Internet - 10/1Mbps down/up. Network / Password posted in guest rooms.
Ample free & safe parking in front. It's also possible to park behind the house.
All around the Guest Home, these short notes explain important house quirks & appliance instructions. Please read each when you see them.
In the dining room. Please use anything in them & leave useful info you pick up for future guests.
Please remove shoes when inside. This helps keep the Guest Home clean for all.
Tobacco outside only. Put all butts in the pot on the front porch. Ecigs and shisha in the hookah are allowed inside (please BYO or replace shisha & coals). Michigan's 2008 Medical Marihuana [sic] Act allows anyone with a card issued by any US state to legally medicate on private property with the owner's permission (permission granted inside the house or back yard only, not the front porch so as not to disturb neighbors). Under Detroit city law guests over 21 may possess under 1oz/28g on private property.
Please bring your well behaved animal companions - they are very welcome! It's just important that they not scratch or dirty the furniture and any accidents are promptly cleaned up. Note: pets only allowed in Air Room under direct supervision as they can damage the expensive soundproofing.
Please keep the sink & drying rack clear by washing dishes as you use them & taking clean ones from the rack.
Please ask before using. To save resources only run full loads. If you have less, I can always add bedding.
GRILL & OTHER APPLIANCES
Please ask before using. I’ll happily instruct you in their proper operation.
Please let me know your preferred checkout time before or upon arrival. I just require 2 hours before new guest check-in. Look for chargers, toiletries, etc. If someone is home, leave keys on the dining room table. If no one’s home, put keys in an envelope (above alarm), set alarm & lock up as usual. Then put the envelope through the metal security door’s mail slot. Please make sure to return the same number of keys issued at check-in. The $95 security deposit pays for new locks and keys if a key is missing.
Un hôte très gentil et disponible. Nous ne nous sommes pas rencontrés mais par sa disponibilité et sa réponse en temps réel à nos questions il a fait de notre séjour un moment très agréable.
Surtout sa maison dans un quartier pavillonnaire de Detroit non loin de la Woodward Avenue est géniale, originale et agréable à vivre.
Although we didn't have a chance to meet Nathan, everything was as he said it would be. Easy check-in, clean rooms, coffee for the brewing bright and early, and a neighborhood in transformation. It is also conveniently located if you plan on doing anything in Ferndale, Downtown Detroit, Midtown, New Center or Royal Oak. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend to anyone looking for a great place to not only stay but also be a part of Detroit's Renaissance!
The house was lovely and well organized and Nathan was very accommodating. He was out of town during our stay so we ended up with the entire house to ourselves, but he was still easy to contact if we needed anything.
Nathan is a great host! I really enjoyed my trip to Detroit! The house is clean and unique and everything was prepared when I arrived, even I booked just two days in advance. Nathan gave me a lot of tips and recommendations about what to do in Detroit and I really appreciate his ride to the citycenter each morning! The bus connection works pretty good too until i figured out how it worked ;-)
I felt very welcomed at the Guest Home. This was a perfect place to stay after Noel Night! Nathan was a great host -- welcoming and very thoughtful.
This was our second time staying at the Detroit Loves You Guest house, and it was just as welcoming and amazing as the first. We shared the house with a band from out of town and there was still plenty of room! This is truly a wonderful place to stay!
Nathan was very accommodating even with my last minute notice. The house had everything I needed, including an iron, and I felt very safe and comfortable. Nathan was an excellent host, and I would recommend his guest home to my closest friends and family.
This host has 159 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
I was made in Detroit, then lived all around southeast Michigan (between world travels) not calling the city itself my home until 2004. Around that time I began hosting travelers on my couches. I felt blessed to experience Detroit and Detroiters through their eyes and learn about their experiences here and back home. My passion for hosting grew over the years until I bought my Virginia Park neighborhood house and opened the Detroit Loves You Guest Home in 2010 - the first AirBnB in Detroit!
Much more than a personal business, the Guest Home directly supports the Virginia Park neighborhood with 10% of your reservation's proceeds funding the Hazelwood Block Club, local start-ups and non-profits, and property beautification. *That's* why Detroit loves you!